Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Leylite posted:

EDIT:

I hope we get to use more Mega missiles in the future. This game has plenty of explosions but it could use some more REALLY BIG explosions.
FWIW, there is a missile we haven't seen yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Fabulousity posted:

This video also made me realize that during the mine exit sequence textures that should be self lighting like lava also pulse between their normal lighting level and black. I wonder if that's a game design oversight because it'd be a neat level design gimmick to lead the player to an exit using always lit textures like that. I can't remember if the engine treats all lava textures as full bright or you have to set them that way during level design. I want to say it's the latter but without reinstalling the game I dunno. Will any of the level editors work on x64 today?

I'd bet that the lighting engine treats all static light as equal - and most lights in the game are static, even though they pretend not to be. Only flares, explosions, and weapon glow are dynamic, and even that much is incredible.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Freespace?

More importantly

Freespace 2?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wow, that level was relentless in the size and amount of enemies being thrown at you. This really contrasts from the paranoid nature of the first game, and makes me think the mentality going into D2 was "throw everything in including the kitchen sink". And boy does it work well!

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wow, that level was relentless in the size and amount of enemies being thrown at you. This really contrasts from the paranoid nature of the first game, and makes me think the mentality going into D2 was "throw everything in including the kitchen sink". And boy does it work well!

World 3 is where Descent II kicks into high gear. It's not messing around, but it's also giving you more ability to deal with it. Compare that boss to the final one in Descent 1. Both have Mega Missiles and spawn allies, but this one is waaaaaay more manageable with the shape of the arena.

I recall the upcoming World 4 being quite paranoid, but as you noted they're throwing in EVERYTHING. World 4 is kinda pretty too! I remember it being my favorite along with world 2 (those water effects blew my mind at the time), but that's probably because the last of our new toys are there well, we'll get to SEE one of those toys in level 13 but it's basically impossible to actually GET

And somehow even more enemies I've forgotten about are coming! For real though, the robot variety is waaaaaaay higher than I remember. Descent I doesn't have that many bots in retrospect!

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 22, 2020

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I am a loving moron who deleted today's video from YouTube rather than publishing it.

I'll try again tomorrow when I'm not so bone-headed.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

berryjon
May 30, 2011

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's... a lot of effort for a weapon as gimmicky as the Omega cannon. And this level's music has been stuck in my head for years thanks to futile attempts to get that secret.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 2, 2020

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

anilEhilated posted:

That's... a lot of effort for a weapon as gimmicky as the Omega cannon. And this level's music has been stuck in my head for years thanks to futile attempts to get that secret.

Gimmicky? Yes. Powerful? YASSSS :science:

I can't imagine that guided missile shot being any easier with potential issues with the port/remake. I only did it once on the original.

I don't remember this level not having an energy recharge. I do remember level 23 being MUCH MUCH MEANER ABOUT IT :argh:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Bellmaker posted:

I do remember level 23 being MUCH MUCH MEANER ABOUT IT :argh:
who turned out the lights

Also, Secret Level 3 is either the easiest or most nerve-wracking level in the game.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Hey guys! Sorry about the two weeks off unannounced. I blame a combination of me running out of backlog videos, work and not being able to get people around to commentate. But I now have the next three in the bag, and I'm back on track! After all, we're already over half-way through D2!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I kinda... break this level. WITH NO REGRETS1

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I feel like after all the bullshit the first game threw at us, that level deserves to be cheesed.
Does the headlight booster work well to counteract the flashing lights after you take out the reactor? I feel like that, and panicked afterburnering, are meant to get you to drain your energy in this level.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

The Headlights can be turned off by default, and I already did that. But yeah, this level encourages panic - though not as much as the run to the exit on level 16.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I didn't know you could cheese the level like that :aaaaa:

I think the switch for the 8-up is one of the screens/lights in the hostage room, which mean you have to backtrack for them. Obviously with the intended route it's a bit more panicky.

e: Also your videos are listed as Secret Level 3 on Youtube, it's Secret Level 4 :ssh:

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 2, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bellmaker posted:

I didn't know you could cheese the level like that :aaaaa:
Same here. I hated this level.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

This thread finally got me itchy enough to go looking for my old Descent 2 discs. In the search just about every adjacent game possible was found instead: Descent 3, Descent 3 Mercenary, Freespace, Freespace Silent Threat, Freespace 2, and Red Faction. I just know if I drop :10bux: on a new copy from GOG the CDs will fly out of whatever box they're in and smack me in the head like some sort of reverse gift-giving thief bot.

That :catdrugs: room was something else. Not sure if I forgot about it or managed to never see it before.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Bellmaker posted:

e: Also your videos are listed as Secret Level 3 on Youtube, it's Secret Level 4 :ssh:

I have no idea what you're talking about. It's always been Level 4. :stare:

Fabulousity posted:

This thread finally got me itchy enough to go looking for my old Descent 2 discs. In the search just about every adjacent game possible was found instead: Descent 3, Descent 3 Mercenary, Freespace, Freespace Silent Threat, Freespace 2, and Red Faction. I just know if I drop :10bux: on a new copy from GOG the CDs will fly out of whatever box they're in and smack me in the head like some sort of reverse gift-giving thief bot.

That :catdrugs: room was something else. Not sure if I forgot about it or managed to never see it before.

Just be careful. D3 is a bitch to run, and thanks to the way it's set up I may have to play the game in 640x480 mode just to avoid screwing up the game when I check out the automap.

And yeah, :catdrugs: was a surprise when I hit that room during my test runs.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

berryjon posted:

Just be careful. D3 is a bitch to run, and thanks to the way it's set up I may have to play the game in 640x480 mode just to avoid screwing up the game when I check out the automap.

After messing with it for an hour I got it to run at 1080p without looking like poop. But like you mentioned the game menus and auto-map are all hard coded to run at 640x480 which seems like a strange design decision even back in 1999.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
3 is a strange game in general.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Wait the Omega Cannon regens your shields?! I never knew this, can you show that off at some point please??? :psyboom:

I believe it also has a similar blinding effect as the Flash Missile, but it's been a while. It's a pretty darn good weapon, it's just, y'know, GAUSS

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Bellmaker posted:

Wait the Omega Cannon regens your shields?! I never knew this, can you show that off at some point please??? :psyboom:

I believe it also has a similar blinding effect as the Flash Missile, but it's been a while. It's a pretty darn good weapon, it's just, y'know, GAUSS

It only regens up to 100, IIRC, but because it's not the Gauss.... well... Kinda self-evident there.

And don't worry, we'll see that spoiler in level 16. You bet your rear end we will.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
sighs

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I'm missing something here, but to the OP you go!

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

berryjon posted:

I'm missing something here, but to the OP you go!

If your missing something it's no big loss :v:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Bellmaker posted:

If your missing something it's no big loss :v:

eventually he’ll move past, and heal

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

SatansOnion posted:

eventually he’ll move past, and heal

I'm sure he knows it's often much harder on the missile than on the player.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Happy Pi Day and one-day-late 24th birthday for Descent 2

The original Descent turns 25 on this upcoming Tuesday.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Look at that bastard looming over a stolen cake.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 14, 2020

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Please note that the Commentated Video is at double speed for gameplay, while the uncommentated is the full 45ish minutes.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Uncommentated version has desynced audio starting at 38:22. There's a noticeable hitch at that time, and it goes off by a couple seconds.

The boss's shots don't whip around like your own Omega cannon does, but they do home. One ball makes a curve around a corner at 38:40, and they're always setting off the Lock On light. That's pretty nasty, considering how fast and strong they are.

Montegoraon fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 22, 2020

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
having gotten used to watching youtube at 2x speed for years now, I gotta say that regular Descent 2 gameplay at 4x speed is generally still more comprehensible than, say... archwing melee...

fragmites
Feb 18, 2013
Taking the diagonals moves you root 2 in 2d and root 3 in 3d so approx. 1.41 units instead of 1 in 2d and approx 1.73 units if you do the full diagonal of the cube.
I played the first of these years ago, but I've never seen the second before. Like the vids.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Pop quiz: Is the below HUD-less screen shot from Doom 3 or Descent 2 level 16?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Neither. We haven't gotten to that level yet. :)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Looks like 2/3 of Sonic 2006 to me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it is a close-up of Amaterasu's butthole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011