Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Gdi I thought i had more than I actually did in company stocks and also I tried to sell at limit when I really shouldn’t have. I don’t understand how you fuckers do this, this is nightmarishly stressful. I’m getting the hell away from this.

I feel like whatever you have been going on about (something about RSUs or ISOs?) doesn't belong in this thread. We are here to gamble.

Baddog posted:

This crazy +2% bounce gave me the chance to get close to hedging 100% again against another big drop. If it keeps going up I'm going in for more and getting net short.

April 260s lol.

Yea just the other week, posters here were praying for a "dead cat bounce" to short. Step right up everybody!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
This is what a top/bottom looks like. Higher vol until the numbers start to come in and then the market will freak out and tank or think the liquidity injections are going to keep the market bueno.

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Question: I recently "upgraded" my etrade cash account to a margin account, but now it seems the platform automatically splits whatever I buy into a 1:2 cash:margin ratio. This is dumb because I want to hold some securites, and I'd rather not put margin into the ones I plan on holding for a while, especially at etrade's 10% margin rate but I can't see any way of adjusting it. Is the way margin accounts work with pretty much every broker?

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Lol ibio wtf happened

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Anyone else watching the cnbc front page refresh?

Dow jumps 1000, 800, 500 points in volatile trading as Wall Street tries to recover from massive sell-off

Its not even 2 pm yet!

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Colonel Taint posted:

Question: I recently "upgraded" my etrade cash account to a margin account, but now it seems the platform automatically splits whatever I buy into a 1:2 cash:margin ratio. This is dumb because I want to hold some securites, and I'd rather not put margin into the ones I plan on holding for a while, especially at etrade's 10% margin rate but I can't see any way of adjusting it. Is the way margin accounts work with pretty much every broker?

This is not how margin account works (and im on etrade as well). I only go into margin when I run out of cash.

Are you sure you have settled cash in your account to cover what you are buying? Maybe give them a call and see if you can have someone walk you through the screens, it's not robin hood, they have support. Don't click a mouse and lose your house now that you are in options.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

MetaJew posted:

I saw a really stupid post on /r/robinhood talking about buying UVXY calls (sure thing, can't go tits up, etc). So someone tell me how OP is going to lose all his money?

Or post your war stories about actually winning on VIX calls/puts.

To add to this once more, being long vol has consistently been one of my best trades. I always buy OTM vix leaps when I see vol being below 15 or put/call ratio being at an extreme.. This time I also got some VXX but I normally prefer just VIX options. It is a risky trade but the leveraged upside is great with options and you have some sort of protection.

That being said right now I have bought otm VIX puts but I still have kept a very small amount of VXX incase the vol explosion would have continued from last week.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sold off my CODX this morning that I had bought on Friday for some quick profits. Feels good.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Okay, I don't think it's climbing a whole lot more today so I loaded up on shorts.

Let's roll the dice!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Colonel Taint posted:

I don't use them but on mine if I sell a stock for $1,000 then buy a stock for $1,000 until the sell clears it will show I'm using $1,000 of my margin. Cash transfer is instant because I have my bank account with them as well but if I transferred cash from another bank then bought stock it'd show a hit on my margin. I'm fairly certain this is also in according with regulations and rules so it should be the same everywhere.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

fougera posted:

Anyone else watching the cnbc front page refresh?

Dow jumps 1000, 800, 500 points in volatile trading as Wall Street tries to recover from massive sell-off

Its not even 2 pm yet!

Did you see it last night?

Chinese stocks surge beyond 3% despite factory activity plunging below expectations

That PMI was lowest on record

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

*double post*

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I will be 80 years old and tell my great grandchildren

"No one knew why the gently caress Tesla was at over 700 bucks a share, but it was"

Why yes I hold puts, why do you ask

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

orange sky posted:

I will be 80 years old and tell my great grandchildren

"No one knew why the gently caress Tesla was at over 700 bucks a share, but it was"

Why yes I hold puts, why do you ask

You can buy puts out 80 years?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Gdi I thought i had more than I actually did in company stocks and also I tried to sell at limit when I really shouldn’t have. I don’t understand how you fuckers do this, this is nightmarishly stressful. I’m getting the hell away from this.

yessss, yessss :getin:

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
300 is the big line

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Colonel Taint posted:

Are you sure you're reading that correctly?

Your "available margin" will go down, because now you're invested in something, but you shouldn't actually have any margin loans out. Take a look at your cash.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Woodchip posted:

300 is the big line

I just came to post that I feel like we are going to be playing with SPY 300 for the next few weeks at this point.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Today will close red, 296

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Costco's doin' real nice. PBUC

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Yeah after 300 it’s 290 and 275.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I think 300 is a nice round number, we're going to see it a lot.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

jokes posted:

Costco's doin' real nice. PBUC

Costco is selling a lot of toilet paper and rice. For the next month at least.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Can’t even TLH with 3000

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Agronox posted:

yessss, yessss :getin:

loving enjoy your insane garbage, I’ve got Not Losing It All to do.

fougera posted:

I feel like whatever you have been going on about (something about RSUs or ISOs?) doesn't belong in this thread. We are here to gamble.

True but for as long as companies compensate employees through lottery tickets I gotta think about the drat stock market. Not anymore tho ha ha I’m out of it, byeeeeeeee

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Port of Los Angeles traffic down 25%

Traffic is picking up again from China (we will see for how long), but there is gonna be a big lull here when nothing was getting shipped. Boats and containers are out of position.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Hit Man posted:

How many over-leveraged Robinhood users got bankrupted today? jfc

My hundreds is in Robinhood, I haven't even been able to login most of the day.

Haven't looked at r/wsb today but I bet it's gonna be a reckoning.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I got an email from them that amounted to "Oh sorry our bad." lol

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I am gonna move even my hundreds off after this though, first time I've not been locked out all day and it's like oh yeah, of course it'll only happen at times you really don't want it to.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I can’t help but feel like the market has decided that’s all the selling we’re gonna to do for the foreseeable future, that a 12% decline was enough.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

loving enjoy your insane garbage, I’ve got Not Losing It All to do.

True but for as long as companies compensate employees through lottery tickets I gotta think about the drat stock market. Not anymore tho ha ha I’m out of it, byeeeeeeee

Yeah, get everything out of the market now while it's way down. This seems like the best course of action.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Wow another Robinhood shocker

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

nah they're doing ok

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Agronox posted:

Are you sure you're reading that correctly?

Your "available margin" will go down, because now you're invested in something, but you shouldn't actually have any margin loans out. Take a look at your cash.

So I was reading it slightly wrong, but still it seems to be using cash+margin without any option to change it

Example I have $1370 available as cash, $2740 as margin - Previewing a $400 order says:
Resulting Cash Buying Power 1,170.00 - $200 Cash used
Resulting Margin Buying Power 2,340.00 - $200 Margin used, 200 subtracted because of less cash I guess?

:shrug: Definitely going to be asking etrade support about it.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Freezer posted:

Okay, I don't think it's climbing a whole lot more today so I loaded up on shorts.

Let's roll the dice!

Woops, the house wins.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

Wtf are we rallying on here?

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Everything is priced in, the fed will lower rates.

My favorite is that even defense is rallying. Market is irrational af currently.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sold basically all my calls in this rally then I bought a bunch of dividend-heavy forever stocks with all the gains I got from last week's puts and today's gains. Mostly holding cash at this point, maybe I'll gently caress around when things get a bit more.. uh... normal.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
looks like we're ending today up 10 pts on nothing lol

barring bad news overnight I reckon we shoot back up more tomorrow, and we won't see another dip until substantially bad news comes out with hard evidence

45* is going to try to handwave this poo poo away and people are dumb enough to go along with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

currently set to break single largest point gain in DJIA history, perfectly rational market response to a pandemic and chinese economic collapse

nothing to see here, move along citizen