Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Just learned about the switchglaive in Nioh 2 and I can't believe the devs stole my notes for magic weapons in my D&D campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's basically the Burial Blade from Bloodborne

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Not even knowing how lockers worked in Death Stranding is absurd but honestly all the non-blood weapons were pretty bad. There's no reason to use valuable inventory space on a grenade that will slightly stun a BT for a few seconds instead of a grenade that just kills them.

The blood guns were also pretty bad outside of the boss fights too. Just really weirdly balanced combat, though I kind of understand since that wasn't really the focus of the game design.

Infinitum posted:

Played the FF7 demo. Pretty cool.

I'm very much a non-fan of the new combat system, but everything else is fantastic.

How long is it? Downloading now but won't be home until late this evening :negative:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Demo was fun, but eh just not clicking with me.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 2, 2020

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

I think the 1 thing I do not like about far cry 5 is the mostly terrible stealth system.

I missed this before but, really? That's the one thing you don't like about Far Cry 5?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Guillermus posted:

https://twitter.com/platinumgames/status/1234299758719537152

And then he blocked his own company's twitter account :discourse:

did you see the whole mega64 bit with him in it that spilled over into pax?

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

I missed this before but, really? That's the one thing you don't like about Far Cry 5?

I've played every Far Cry and 5 is the worst I would say. My biggest complaint was definitely the overuse of the drug trip type missions. They are way worse than the towers and started showing up hard after 3. The gunplay felt a little off too. The stealth isn't great but works once you figure out you can clear most bases by sniping from way the hell far away. Chain Takedowns are nowhere near as good as they used to be, mostly due to enemies being further apart.

Far Cry 2 is my favourite game in the Post-Crytek games. The fact that the same director is back for 6 makes me excited.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Wolfsheim posted:

How long is it? Downloading now but won't be home until late this evening :negative:

Pretty short; it lasts until you leave the first reactor. Because of how the battle system is now streamlined into exploration, this adds up to maybe one hour.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

If you don't make any EX grenades for the whole game it should give you one giant one before the end boss that kills it in one hit.

:laffo:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I liked the ff7 remake demo. The combat is idk, would need to have more time to play around with it but it could be interesting. Camera sucks. Definitely need the back button attachment to bind attack and dodge to, would be a big improvement I think

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm not far into it. The other I could say is the beginning assault rifle is very bad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Far Cry 5 is totally fine, gameplay wise. And it looks great. And the Evel Knevel missions are great

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

fridge corn posted:

I liked the ff7 remake demo. The combat is idk, would need to have more time to play around with it but it could be interesting. Camera sucks. Definitely need the back button attachment to bind attack and dodge to, would be a big improvement I think

I used it a lot and it was pretty useful. By default I just have L3 and Circle bound to the back button and almost every 3rd person action game recognizes that as sprint and dodge so it's great.

The combat is definitely something I have to get used to though. I nearly died twice on the guard scorpion fight, like it feels you don't get enough ATB on the AI partners so you have to swap around a lot to guarantee Barret gets the meter to use Thunder to weaken robots then maybe dump an Overcharge on to get a bar then swap back to Cloud, get into position, switch to Punisher Mode, smash its rear end a little, and hopefully stagger it in time so everyone has ATB to dunk on it with special moves.

Laying it out like that it sounds a lot more exciting than base 7, probably need to give it another go to get better at it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just switched to Barrett and hit Triangle every now and then and had no issues

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Policenaut posted:

I used it a lot and it was pretty useful. By default I just have L3 and Circle bound to the back button and almost every 3rd person action game recognizes that as sprint and dodge so it's great.

The combat is definitely something I have to get used to though. I nearly died twice on the guard scorpion fight, like it feels you don't get enough ATB on the AI partners so you have to swap around a lot to guarantee Barret gets the meter to use Thunder to weaken robots then maybe dump an Overcharge on to get a bar then swap back to Cloud, get into position, switch to Punisher Mode, smash its rear end a little, and hopefully stagger it in time so everyone has ATB to dunk on it with special moves.

Laying it out like that it sounds a lot more exciting than base 7, probably need to give it another go to get better at it.

Yeah, the switching between characters on the fly I think is what will make the combat most interesting I think. Looking forward for the full game now for sure

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s fun, I’m glad I have a pre-order of the full game.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
ps4 thread, i just had my "kiwami 2 majima story - chapter 3 " IRL moment (if you know, you know, yes i am talking about that bit in chapter 3) and let me tell you, feels real good. :)

now i gotta go open a construction company and build poo poo.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’ve been having weird errors when downloading games recently. It won’t finish and it will say cannot download on my PS4 pro. It will also doing this before I put in my EVO 860 tb (which is amazing). I should mention that since I had to put a new hard drive I did a full the installing of the system os on the new drive, but I never transferred anything over.

It says cannot download. The data is corrupted. (CE-36244-9).

Weird thing is sometimes retrying a bunch of times will fix it (or at least for a little while) and other times no luck. I just want to get my stuff all redownloded. There is also no rhyme or reason for which titles it affects.

I also tried rebuilding the database, which seemed to be preventing download stops sometimes from becoming errors, but I also just got another cannot download.

That said the load time decrease is amazing. I wonder what a Samsung Pro would do.

Still if you don’t haven an SSD in your pro...get one.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I just got and played through the ffvii demo and holy moly. This is super super good! Does ffxv have similar combat because if so then I will finally have an FF game that I can play and get into without having to bear the combat. (Not a fan of turn based combat at all so will never probably get to Yakuza 7 :( )

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yes Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts are both the same kind of combat.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I think any SSD should perform the same as the hardware i/o and the software don't take advantage of full sata3 speeds like a computer does. Which is why in next gen SSD is the focus. I think the difference in Samsung QVO, EVO, and PRO would be nothing in a PS4 Pro except a 3 vs 5 year warranty.

Am I wrong?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I’ve been having weird errors when downloading games recently. It won’t finish and it will say cannot download on my PS4 pro. It will also doing this before I put in my EVO 860 tb (which is amazing). I should mention that since I had to put a new hard drive I did a full the installing of the system os on the new drive, but I never transferred anything over.

It says cannot download. The data is corrupted. (CE-36244-9).

Weird thing is sometimes retrying a bunch of times will fix it (or at least for a little while) and other times no luck. I just want to get my stuff all redownloded. There is also no rhyme or reason for which titles it affects.

could be you have packet loss? try to ping a server from console

Tei fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 2, 2020

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

MazelTovCocktail posted:

That said the load time decrease is amazing. I wonder what a Samsung Pro would do.

nothing, any SSD hits the internal transfer limits of the ps4 file system pretty quickly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
FF15 is very good now (as opposed to launch, when it was just okay)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm not far into it. The other I could say is the beginning assault rifle is very bad.

Tell us how it goes when the story finds you

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tei posted:

could be you have packet loss? try to ping a server from console

How do I do that?

Good to know that getting the pro wouldn’t have mattered. Wonder if I should just go back and get a QVO instead?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

MazelTovCocktail posted:

How do I do that?

Good to know that getting the pro wouldn’t have mattered. Wonder if I should just go back and get a QVO instead?

Heres a example
https://www.howtogeek.com/355664/how-to-use-ping-to-test-your-network/

Just make sure you are doing it with a windows that is using the same network. If you see packet loss, then something is horrible wrong with your router or other netwroks stuff

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

MazelTovCocktail posted:

If it's worth the hassle for the savings. You could always repurpose the EVO into a computer once you're done with this gen.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004
Really enjoyed the FF7 demo, but confused on how the episodes are going to work. It looks like nothing has been confirmed but it will be broken up over different episodes. Are we looking at $180+ for the “full” remake?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

lazerus06 posted:

Really enjoyed the FF7 demo, but confused on how the episodes are going to work. It looks like nothing has been confirmed but it will be broken up over different episodes. Are we looking at $180+ for the “full” remake?

That seems a bit optimistic

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

lazerus06 posted:

I kiiiiiinda doubt it'll be full price for each part, maybe $30 for each episode past the first

But it really depends on how big they are. If part 1 is legitimately 40 hours, I could see part 2 being 60 with all the optional stuff that happens after Midgar, at which point it really seems petty to begrudge them charging full price since it's, ya know, a full game

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Square's been releasing interviews all day about FF7 Remake and the two big things they're talking about is that 7R is being designed as a "single complete package." Like it's going to be an episodic series, but each game is being designed like it's its own singular game so you're getting an intended full game experience rather than the standard short episodic game experience. I can definitely see it playing out that way, the Mako Reactor in the original is like a 15 minute intro but in this demo it took me about an hour to finish. The other thing is that Red XIII is in the game, but he's not playable because Red XIII was in a grand total of 2 possible fights in Midgar (elevator fight and I think you could bring him to fight the roller ball on the highway?) before you escape so they made him an AI guest party member who helps you in battle.

Now that they have everything figured out on a tech level, I guess it'll be faster getting sequels out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't really gently caress with episodic games. If everyone really likes it, I'll probably grab the complete version when it's out in 4 years. If it was $60 for the whole thing and was on like, a weekly release schedule maybe I'd consider it but everything about their release schedule seems like a mix of robbing people blind and not being able to release a complete game in a reasonable amount of time.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Ideally an episodic remake wouldn't be any worse than

Midgar > Kalm to City of Ancients -> the rest of it

But in practice its probably gonna be more like

Midgar > Kalm to Nibelheim, optional sailor skins for $0.99 each, Yuffie as a $4.99 DLC character > Nibelheim to City of Ancients with Vincent as a $4.99 DLC character and Golden Saucer microtransactions > City of Ancients to that part where Cloud gets out of a coma > the rest of it

EDIT: there will also be microtransactions for chocobo breeding, separate from the microtransactions for chocobo racing at the Golden Saucer though they will overlap

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 2, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

I don't really gently caress with episodic games. If everyone really likes it, I'll probably grab the complete version when it's out in 4 years. If it was $60 for the whole thing and was on like, a weekly release schedule maybe I'd consider it but everything about their release schedule seems like a mix of robbing people blind and not being able to release a complete game in a reasonable amount of time.

This seems like a strange definition of "complete game" though. Like yeah, each part isn't the entire story, but by all accounts each part WILL be a "complete game"

I think it's probably better to think of them as making a whole series that remakes FF7 rather than "it's episodic". Nobody has made an episodic game where each episode is anywhere NEAR the length that these allegedly will be

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

precision posted:

This seems like a strange definition of "complete game" though. Like yeah, each part isn't the entire story, but by all accounts each part WILL be a "complete game"

I think it's probably better to think of them as making a whole series that remakes FF7 rather than "it's episodic". Nobody has made an episodic game where each episode is anywhere NEAR the length that these allegedly will be

Yeah from what I'm understanding Final Fantasy 7 Remake is going to be their new Final Fantasy 13 "Series" style game, only instead of 13, 13-2, Lightning Returns it's going to be 7R, 7R-2, 7R-3: Aerith's Revenge.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

My memory of playing FF7 when it came out is hazy but although Remake looks amazing I can't figure out how they're going to do the world map stuff in an episodic game. Are they going to ditch the world map entirely? I remember leaving Midgar being a big moment in FF7 when you go to the world map for the first time, and wandering to that area where Sephiroth killed that big serpent or whatever it was.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SUNKOS posted:

My memory of playing FF7 when it came out is hazy but although Remake looks amazing I can't figure out how they're going to do the world map stuff in an episodic game. Are they going to ditch the world map entirely? I remember leaving Midgar being a big moment in FF7 when you go to the world map for the first time, and wandering to that area where Sephiroth killed that big serpent or whatever it was.

Everyone's heads and arms inflate and it's just the exact same original PSX map, except now with normal mapping.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

SUNKOS posted:

I'm not sure, but god drat I can't wait to experience it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I feel like the word episodic was a bad translation and in japan probably doesnt have the baggage that episodic games do over here.
Really they're making a trilogy(or two games? or four?) based on the source and used 'episode: 1' as the sub-heading because they haven't quite defined it themselves yet. But western gamers hear the word episode and think 'GREAT, a single game thats been chopped up, and each piece is full price??'

each star wars movie is not 1/#th of a real movie. Did anyone refuse to watch episode 4 at the cinema because they wanted that lazy rear end of a director lucas to finish the story before they would bother seeing it?

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 2, 2020