Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

hobbesmaster posted:

The flu shot isn't actually particularly effective some years. The 2018 one was only 29% effective for example: https://www.healthline.com/health-news/flu-vaccine-had-another-disappointing-year-will-this-year-be-different
Unless you're in Seattle if you present right now its probably more likely the flu even if you've had the shot.

I specifically mentioned those symptoms along with flu shot when i said probable covid vs flu. Dry Cough and Fever are most common Covid-19 symptoms while Sore throat and Runny nose are much more rare in covid while they are common with most seasonal flu strains. So a flu shot helps triage patients, even if it's not very effective this season.

Further, local hospitals, and state health depts, have a good idea what flu strains are going around and how effective they are locally given patient profiles aiding in diagnosis. And despite that flu shot on it's own is hugely beneficial so anything to get people to get a shot who are healthy enough is good, the knock on effects for Corona like keeping beds open is just a bonus.

And as for 'right now' that won't stay true for very long, and given how infectious this is your statement might not even be true for most large cities with international airports, we honestly don't know.

pigz fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

BONGHITZ posted:

was prester jane right? or is it too soon to tell?

she was about 70% right

most of the videos she linked were actually legit at least (the question of course being how representative those videos were of the general state of things)

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

shout out to people who take public transit while coughing and sniffling completely uncovered

bringing out the paranoia better than The Thing

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
oh god the onsite vendor is coughing

Korean Boomhauer fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 2, 2020

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

i know, i'm currently figuring out how best to do this without drawing attention to myself and getting myself fired

https://www.propublica.org/getinvolved/we-want-to-talk-to-people-working-or-living-on-the-front-lines-of-coronavirus-help-us-report

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the Woz hopes he was the superspreader
https://twitter.com/stevewoz/status/1234575727678435328?s=20

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
prester jane has unresolved mental issues and yall probably shouldn't encourage her

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
RELAX,

https://twitter.com/maxwelltani/status/1234578798236045318?s=20

IT’S

https://twitter.com/IranIntl_En/status/1234581580154314753?s=20

JUST

https://twitter.com/gglawits/status/1234581743035768832?s=20

THE

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1234576686714359813?s=20

FLU

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1234556607943643137?s=20

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

bring back the US Festival

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Watched helplessly last week as a manager whose coughs could be heard booming from her office sat down at an absent coworker's desk and touched a bunch of stuff. Now the person who sat there is sick with a cough. It's on the floor below us now too. If they don't let me work from home soon I s2g this place is gonna kill me

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

yeah, if we have to have superspreaders, let's hope they're people who hang around rich people

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Currently at my company's private national meeting where 200 people are flown in from every major city to spend a week at a resort.

Lol.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

eonwe posted:

prester jane has unresolved mental issues and yall probably shouldn't encourage her

it worked out fine for Caro and forbiddenforum

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Bullfrog posted:

Watched helplessly last week as a manager whose coughs could be heard booming from her office sat down at an absent coworker's desk and touched a bunch of stuff. Now the person who sat there is sick with a cough. It's on the floor below us now too. If they don't let me work from home soon I s2g this place is gonna kill me

lol capitalism

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Currently at my company's private national meeting where 200 people are flown in from every major city to spend a week at a resort.

Lol.

Rah! posted:

lol capitalism

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bip Roberts posted:

it worked out fine for Caro and forbiddenforum

And Toblerone Triangle or whatever

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

you pick up 100 cans of soup out of desperation, out of fear

Ted Cruz picks up 100 cans of soup because it's his life.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
At the awful company I left last year, they cut telecommuting hours for my old team, though the manager is remote from Boston. She was supposed to be flying into Seattle today and requested that the people at that office commute in all week, as well as another team member fly in from Arizona. Well, she skipped on her flight last minute but is making everyone else still meet without her and have a team lunch. Love to force people to risk their health for no reason. Meanwhile, my new job in Seattle requested everyone work from home until further notice.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

seems number's under the impression it's just the flu, bro

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

err posted:

I hope you are throwing a poo poo fit with your coworkers

lol nope, I'm the only one concerned. Everyone else I've spoken with have been dismissive and said basically "it's just the flu bro"

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

triple sulk posted:

corona-chan? in MY body? it's more likely than you think

this corrupted ranger arc is playing out a lot more strangely than it should

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Woz my neg rear end

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
feeling pretty good at not living in a big city rn

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Impressive geographic spread so far, most of the major cities have a case in or near them throughout the area of densest population, as well as several cases in more remote country areas. Extremely promising (in terms of quickly developing into a nationwide epidemic)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Schmeichy posted:

Meanwhile, my new job in Seattle requested everyone work from home until further notice.

I thought about WFH but spending more time near my kids is probably the worst way to avoid illness.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Victory Position posted:

you pick up 100 cans of soup out of desperation, out of fear

Ted Cruz picks up 100 cans of soup because it's his life.

I was in the process of trying to clean up my food hoarding tendencies (somehow my parents got a depression era level compulsion to keep way more food in the house than necessary and I also get nervous if I run low on what I consider staples). It turning out useful now is not helping.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Atrocious Joe posted:

Kings County is putting the infected into the tiny homes the county bought for housing homeless people

the dumbest dystopia

Look, we're only 4 years and 5 months into the homelessness state of emergency in Seattle, and a mere 15 whole years into the 10 year plan to end homelessness in King County... you can't expect the government to already be at the point of putting homeless people into the housing units that it bought for them two years ago, things just don't work at that kind of breakneck speed around here

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
what's a remote country area in the netherlands? like thirty minutes from downtown?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

You load sixteen beans, what do you get
another day older and full of proteins
Corona-chan don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the beans store

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Delthalaz posted:

Priester Jane was not right because she is predicting societal collapse whereas in fact we are being blessed by the sweet angel Coronae culling the boomer curse from the land and paving the way to medicare-for-all

didn't she also make claims that mass graves filled with thousands were already everywhere in China and the Chinese military was facing a breakdown in its ranks due to uncontrolled spreading in the command structure? I can't keep things straight.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Schnorkles posted:

feeling pretty good at not living in a big city rn

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lmao if this virus goes into the brain, that's possibly why people are testing positive after having tested negative

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Planning to start a Coronavirus worshipping cult looking for pointers wrt iconography, catechisms, prayers etc and big public stunts to build up the ranks of the faithful

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Ah yes. The US Military! Well-known for their ability to rapidly develop things that also work the first time.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I've been in self-quarantine since my trip to Japan/Korea. Just developed a cough with minor chest congestion today - nothing major and it feels mild at the moment. Called my doctor and of course they won't test me. Just be careful, wash hands, and monitor your symptoms.

Failson posted:

Ah yes. The US Military! Well-known for their ability to rapidly develop things that also work the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyakI9GeYRs

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

magiccarpet posted:

How are those Amazon warehouses in Seattle

The robots are doing great, thank you for asking

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Shifty Pony posted:

didn't she also make claims that mass graves filled with thousands were already everywhere in China and the Chinese military was facing a breakdown in its ranks due to uncontrolled spreading in the command structure? I can't keep things straight.

its not where prester jane starts thats the problem

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

no virus, no virus, youre the virus

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I know the factory I work at will be open while management stays home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Pester jane was spreading falun gong news sources. It was either a troll or they are dumb.