Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Next season, the master shows up with a new face and propeller beanie and genocides the Silurians.

The Doctor makes a cross face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Thinking more about it, I still hate Clara is the most important person in the Doctors life more.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I saved a few Time Lord bodies for later and I've since turned them all into weeping angels

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Khanstant posted:

I had no idea Whofans hated her

You know what Doctor Who fans all agree on as a collective whole?

Nothing. Not a goddamn thing. Ever. They never have and never will. You're a Doctor Who fan and you liked Clara. I'm a Doctor Who fan and I liked Clara. Other Doctor Who fans didn't like her, others didn't care, and some people hated her with the burning passion of a 1000 suns. Don't search for a collective, authoritative take on anything related to Who because it doesn't exist.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

But that rhino thing is loving stupid. We all agree.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Andrew_1985 posted:

Cripes, what a train wreck. Totally burned up any goodwill they made this season.

What was everyone’s least favourite parts?

5) The Doctor escaping the Matrix by thinking hard.
4) The finale being a button press moment
3) Killing off the Half Cyberman after 2 1/2 episodes like a chump. Why did he make other Cyberman scream? What was the point of him grinding that one? Why was he a zealot before he was converted? Why was his master plan so lovely?
2) The Cyber Masters & The Master.
1) The Doctor being the timeless child & all the BS that came with it.

Like so many small parts that really sucked.

I was really enjoying the last two episodes and was really looking forward to the Ireland reveal, Yaz doing something and maybe seeing Jack again.

The last one is the only one that really bothers me, but it bothers me a lot and I am angry about Doctor Who online.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So was that Shada she was deposited it at the end?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Davros1 posted:

So was that Shada she was deposited it at the end?

When the walls fell

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

People actually dislike this incarnation of The Master? He's goddamn brilliant.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
not so much hate as he is seriously trying too hard.

He really reminds me of ihawk from futurama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdhveixpV24

Horrifically Zany one moment, sad and full of dispare the next.

I feel this need to politely tell him to get back on his meds.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mameluke posted:

So that old woman Rassilon had captive in the End Of Time, she did a lot of medical experiments on the Doctor?

this did not get the love it deserved

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

I think he's great, he's the best kind of villain: the one that laughs uncontrollably at his own jokes that absolutely nobody else finds funny. :allears:

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I dislike him for the same reason I dislike Jodie's Doctor and the era in general, which is that they all seem to be written and performed on autopilot.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Alternate take on "The Timeless Child": The Child is actually a future incarnation of The Doctor in a far far future. The Time Lords who create The Matrix see this outcome for The Doctor and consider a much better origin than whatever they might have and tell everyone that that's their origin and leave out how it's actually the Future and the Doctor. Corruption from repeated tampering damaged its record of the Doctor's timeline to the point that, when the Master accesses it, it basically tells part of The Doctor's history in reverse. At some point in the future The Doctor becomes part of The Division, the memories she has are psychic projections backwards. Later from that at some unspecified time, they'll have regenerated into a child and land in some alternate universe to be experimented upon a give the ability of Regeneration to some other species.

https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/The_Matrix

Just looking here, there seems to be a number of outs that could be concocted

quote:

The amount of knowledge in the Matrix, though vast, was not complete, and could be tampered with, given access. The unauthorised extraction of a Time Lord's bio-data from the Matrix was an offence tantamount to treason. (TV: Arc of Infinity)

A particularly skilled person such as the Valeyard could create images of events that never had happened nor ever would. (TV: Mindwarp, Terror of the Vervoids, The Ultimate Foe)

So it's also possible the Timeless Child being the Doctor is because a large chunk of its past history was altered as such by a third party or it used its functions meant to predict the future to try and fill in missing gaps of past history. As it stands, it's dumb, but given the less than ironclad nature of Who canon, there's enough holes to make a more reasonable explanation out of it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I really like the new Master. Despite my problems with the timeless child poo poo, his performance and characterisation are extremely good.

Edit- yeah, the Master himself has a history of loving with The Matrix, in Deadly Assassin. Lots of room for an out. Like bringing back Omega.

marktheando fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 3, 2020

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Jerusalem posted:

Doctor Who ran off the rails when it stopped being a police procedural and started following some weirdo in a box. :colbert:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
you did it you went full lungbarrow

you magnificent bastards, you blew it all up

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I didn't know that adult time lords regenerated into children

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I smell a predestination paradox coming in later seasons!

e: well I hated this and it's the first thing I've legitimately hated about Doctor Who. 12 regenerations and 50 years before it happened isn't too bad :)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

:hellyeah: He's the best part of this season.

Another reason he's so good? He's even more pissed off about this fanwank reveal than we are, so pissed he genocided all the Time Lords! :v:

Count me in as another who hated this. It's unnecessary. Even as a fan of the Cartmel Masterplan and LOOMS and the Virgin backstory of Gallifrey and Rassilon and the Pythia and all that, this is poo poo. Like as the Master was dragging out the reveal, I have to give it to Chibnall, I was on the edge of my seat. I wanted this secret knowledge, even as I knew it was bound to disappoint. And it did.

The Doctor's "mother" should have been Rassilon. Leaving him out makes no sense. Now if Rassilon was a semi-mythic figure who just was namedropped all the time and showed up for 30 seconds in The Five Doctors, erasing him from mattering to the lore would work. But we saw him, multiple times recently. So he's a real dude who was a Founder of the Time Lords and was resurrected by his people to lead the Time War and hosed off after the Doctor kicked him out...but he doesn't even rate a mention in the infodump?

Also LOL Morbius Doctors are canon now I can't even. Props to whoever said a couple pages back that Chibnall probably wrote this entire poo poo based on trying to retcon that one 2 second sequence from 40 years ago. Remember when people would bitch about Moffat being a canon nerd? He got nothin' on Chibs. But I disagree with people who say you shouldn't hand a show to the fans. Our track record here is 1 out of 3 sucked. RTD was pretty good and Moffat had bad moments but when he was on he was loving on. Usually it was his canon nerdery like around the 50th where he shone, and his batshit stupid stuff was his own invention, like "The Wedding of River Song."

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

Xelkelvos posted:

Alternate take on "The Timeless Child": The Child is actually a future incarnation of The Doctor in a far far future.

Sooooo... All You Zombies?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

My only gripe is that it's still difficult to parse where in the Doctors timeline Ruth comes from.

If she's a Division Doctor then how and why is her TARDIS also stuck as a police box?

If she's a version who takes place after her time (heh) with the Division then why doesn't 13 remember her?

I was hoping this finale would at least give some answers that made sense, but I'm not annoyed or anything. I assume it'll be an arc they drag out for most of 13's run.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
The Master wiped out Gallifrey because he hated the twist too

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Stunt Rock posted:

The Master wiped out Gallifrey because he hated the twist too

And then allied with the Cybermen because he might as well have SOMETHING fun going on in the meantime.

I've cooled on The Twist overnight--I still generally approve of it from a 'don't hold back, crazy is better than boring' way, but I think the main problem is that the twist doesn't actually DO anything to justify itself, at least not yet. I'm guessing we'll be seeing more connecting to it, though, for better or worse.

But I am disappointed that the Time Lord Cybermen are getting overshadowed, because that's exactly the right formula of 'crazy idea that actually means interesting things'. They just deserved to be a standalone A-plot rather than the B-plot.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I saw a screenshot of the Time Lord Cybermen and it looked delicious. Reason 2 to check this episode out.

Presumably future series will explore where the Doctor actually came from, right?

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
That last scene between the master and the doctor. I just wanted the doctor to persuade the cyberium (or whatever wank it was) to leave the master and go back into her.

“Sorry mate (master), I wasn’t negotiating with you”.

Boom episode fixed. The crappy time child poo poo can be retconned out later. It seems much more satisfying if the timeless child was a random immortal, they even laid the scenes to that in an earlier episode, or even the master I guess.

I guess I’m like everybody else , the doctor is special because of the adventures we’ve seen. Adding some born into it specialness that doesn’t matter is just poo poo.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Jerusalem posted:

Nothing. Not a goddamn thing. Ever. They never have and never will. You're a Doctor Who fan and you liked Clara. I'm a Doctor Who fan and I liked Clara. Other Doctor Who fans didn't like her, others didn't care, and some people hated her with the burning passion of a 1000 suns. Don't search for a collective, authoritative take on anything related to Who because it doesn't exist.

We all agree on this episode, apparently!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

fractalairduct posted:

We all agree on this episode, apparently!

There have been at least some posters who said they liked it just fine and even liked the Timeless Child claim (a claim backed up by nothing that came from an unreliable sociopathic mass-murdering monster with a history of bullshit). There is no such thing as consensus among Doctor Who fans, some people liked Adric! ADRIC!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Previous versions of the Doctor Who thread said in the OP that the first rule of Doctor Who fandom is that there's absolutely nothing all fans can agree on.

I'm sad that's not in the OP anymore, it was always a good reminder for me.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Eh I m over doctor who. Or should I say this series. I like the Audio dramas just fine.

I didnt like when the doctor became his own legend and the saving all of creation over and over again.

I was disapointed with capaldi, I was later told that its less his fault and more they had a bunch of matt smith scripts they reused which explains the tonal whiplash.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AndyElusive posted:

My only gripe is that it's still difficult to parse where in the Doctors timeline Ruth comes from.

If she's a Division Doctor then how and why is her TARDIS also stuck as a police box?

If she's a version who takes place after her time (heh) with the Division then why doesn't 13 remember her?

I was hoping this finale would at least give some answers that made sense, but I'm not annoyed or anything. I assume it'll be an arc they drag out for most of 13's run.

The best part is how the Timeless Child presumably didn't have regeneration limits since they were artificially added later but eleven was clearly on his last legs and dying of old age until Gallefrey stepped in and I just hate all of this so very much.

Is it really so bad that a regular dude/gal from his/her planet with an extraordinary sense of compassion has accomplished incredible things? Must she be some goddess among time lords to justify having a 50 year show about him?

I'm really hoping this is something like classic who where we politely never discuss it again and chalk it up to the Master's usual bullshit until 20 years later it gets brought up as a self aware running joke in the series.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm sad that's not in the OP anymore, it was always a good reminder for me.

I disagree!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

Is it really so bad that a regular dude/gal from his/her planet with an extraordinary sense of compassion has accomplished incredible things?

Also, and I cannot stress this enough, that extraordinary sense of compassion was born out of exposure to humans softening his initial grumpy, "My Granddaughter and I first, everybody else a distant second" approach to everything. He went from arrogant and high-handed (and willing to smash in the head of an injured man slowing them all down) to a charming old softy who followed in the lead that Ian and Barbara set for him of helping people in need and stopping assholes from taking advantage/hurting others, and that only grew with each new regeneration along the same vein of,"Let's all be friends and have fun and put a stop to anybody being a total dick".

I mentioned it before, but I'm certain this is all going to end up being a misdirection, and I'm not even against the idea of the show doing that type of thing, but not when there is a year or possibly more between episodes. I really don't want this bullshit hanging over the show this long before I can figure out if it is something stupid to be ignored or just the first part of a longer story that will ultimately show it to be the Master just making up bullshit to be an rear end in a top hat.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Counter Point

Love and Monsters. Everyone hates that.

I hope so at least

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There have been so many people defend that episode over the years, it's like the perfect example of how there is no consensus view on Doctor Who!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Love and Monsters is bad, but it's entertainingly bad. Technically, yeah, it's probably one of the worst episodes of modern Who and the worst episode of its season. In practice, there's stuff that's like more competent but actively worse because it just does nothing or has worse characters or what have you. Like, even in season 2 alone, I would not call Love and Monsters worse than the 45 minute long waste of everyone's time that was Fear Her.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

To be fair, the 10/Rose smugfest made a lot of episodes unbearable.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I thought Love and Monsters was quite good apart from the terrible sex gag at the end.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

There have been so many people defend that episode over the years, it's like the perfect example of how there is no consensus view on Doctor Who!

I don't want to live on this planet anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

"Love and Monsters" owns. ELO owns.