Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
CS is kind of in a weird position where if you were gonna be a CS player by now you probably are, or are even a lapsed one. That's not to say the game doesn't see growth but it's viciously entrenched as a thing you like or don't like to a lot of people. Putting Overwatch/Siege/et al abilities into the mix but keeping the same tight core gameplay is a decent take to get the people dissatisfied with the sloppiness of OW or the constant ups and downs of Siege to come try it. Plenty won't stick around, but there's bound to be a decent force of people who've never even considered CS who end up being CS fans even if the abilities are what get them in the door.

But also, it doesn't need to be The Ur Shooter and it seems like they recognize that from the jump. League is so stupidly successful that as long as Valorant has a sustainable matchmaking basis that's just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I think Riot could easily grab a significant chunk of the CSGO playerbase if they nail the shooting mechanics and the casual matchmaking experience.

I love CS, but they definitely have a problem of retaining the casual players.

Smol fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 2, 2020

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Syrinxx posted:

I can't believe people still want to play a shootymans game where if you die you have to sit around and watch everyone else play. To each their own I guess!

I mean totally fair.

I think what it adds is a feeling that each life is more significant, and that comebacks are always possible if you just land a few shots. Kind of ups the tension some at the cost of less shooting.

It's definitely a trade off but it can be a good counterpoint to Overwatch or what have you. On a macro level at least it sometimes ends up feeling like there's less down time than League because there's not as many times where you feel like you shouldn't/can't do anything.

I usually play it to balance out something like Apex Legends or what have you where you're constantly fighting.

foutre fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 2, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011

Smol posted:

I think Riot could easily grab a significant chunk of the CSGO playerbase if they nail the shooting mechanics and the casual matchmaking experience.

Christ even just a Counter-Strike from someone who might* ban lovely little kids for screaming slurs and maybe care a little bit about anti-cheat is such a step up.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Orv posted:

Christ even just a Counter-Strike from someone who might* ban lovely little kids for screaming slurs and maybe care a little bit about anti-cheat is such a step up.

Yep. I live in Northern Europe, so I usually get matched up with 3-4 screaming teenagers from Russia. It pretty much kills my motivation to play the game, so these days I never really play unless if in a 5 stack with RL friends.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Smol posted:

I love CS, but they definitely have a problem of retaining the casual players.

According to the e-sports people who have played it, the gunplay feels like CS:GO and the movement feels like 1.6. Riot sent a few more rounds of testing gameplay to some channel called Hitscan and it definitely looks like it hits all the right marks. Main gunplay differences are fewer redundant guns and no different weapons between sides, and a few weapons have 1.25x zoom ADS that either reduces their rate of fire or turns them to semi or burst. There's pump/semi shotgun options as well as the classic scout/AWP options for sniping. Apart from main rifles and pistols each class has two options; cheap and standard.

The abilities are reportedly more like grenades with the occasional Siege gadget or "oh, that's interesting" thrown in as an ult-type ability. One Polish streamer/CS pro or whatever who played the alpha says they're no replacement for being able to move effectively and click heads, and the Riot gameplay teaser footage has a lot more bursty use of them than you would probably see in an actual match; no one drops all their smokes a minute and a half in. Ults build up over rounds both passively and through getting kills/picking up "orbs", whatever those are.

Riot figured out what Blizzard didn't: the way to grab e-sports FPS market share isn't through mashing up TF2 and MOBAs. It's by looking at the top dog, figuring out what it does wrong, and improving upon that.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
it gives me serious CS 1.6 vibes, and that excites me because I am old

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

1.6 was the best CS, and I'm younger than the average goon.

actually it was condition zero

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Kazinsal posted:

Riot figured out what Blizzard didn't: the way to grab e-sports FPS market share isn't through mashing up TF2 and MOBAs. It's by looking at the top dog, figuring out what it does wrong, and improving upon that.

Whilst this is true Overwatch was always an attempt at getting in on the people who like Team Fortress 2 not FPS e-sports, which is just Activision-Blizzard in general wanting everything to make e-sports money. More significantly Overwatch was a game made to use the assets from the failed Project Titan, their MMOFPS.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Not only is CS:GO almost 10 years old, but it also effectively does not exist in Asia which leaves a huge market for Riot to exploit. The biggest fps in Korea/China is CrossFire, which is even older than CS:GO and its playerbase is ripe for the taking.

Honestly, the only thing turning me off is that matches are going to be best of 24 rounds which is absurd. Hopefully it launches with more modes than just competitive.

Firebert fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 3, 2020

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Just give us TF3 please.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Firebert posted:

Honestly, the only thing turning me off is that matches are going to be best of 24 rounds which is absurd.

Your gamer spirit is weak and feeble. We played a 42-round match on the goon cs 10man server a couple days ago, the game should be longer imo and it better have potential overtime rounds, ideally mandatory

Luna Was Here fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 3, 2020

Svensken
May 29, 2010
I just hope they don't copy CS:GO's monetization where you have inherent gambling and rampant money laundering.

It, and the decade-old graphics is the main reason I never stuck with it, despite literally growing up playing 1.6.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

watching Korean Challenger games is some bizarro world poo poo, the games are so loving merciless its HILARIOUS

also tells me I should learn to play Ornn, Aatrox and Maokai

frajaq fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 3, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
At least until next patch, maybe even after that, you really can't go wrong with having Ornn on your team in either top or mid and is a S+ permapick/ban, he is so powerful in every team comp, is a ultra safe anti-assassin middle that does great damage for a tank and let's teams have some actual engage in a age where entire teams just go pure CCless squishies.

And then he gives your carries a extra 1000g in stats per person, after giving himself 2000g in free stats, not even counting his passive giving him 20% more free stats in resists.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

the invulnerable goat demon should be removed from the game

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Svensken posted:

I just hope they don't copy CS:GO's monetization where you have inherent gambling and rampant money laundering.

It, and the decade-old graphics is the main reason I never stuck with it, despite literally growing up playing 1.6.

Ideally they go the cod/Titanfall route of having a bunch of skins and alt colors for your gun that you unlock either through your ingame level or by doing challenges with premium skins purchasable in the shop, or the Apex route where there's the lootboxes but they hand them out like candy.

There will almost certainly be a battle/season pass no matter what though

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm curious to see if even Riot Games will be able to make a dent on CS:GO as The Shooter, but regardless I'm hyped to play if an open beta ever happens soon

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I'll probably give it a try, but the game I'm really waiting for is the fighting game.

It's probably a ways out, but I really hope to hear more info later this year

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Luna Was Here posted:

There will almost certainly be a battle/season pass no matter what though

Speaking of battle passes, the next TFT pass is going to have a paid version alongside the free one.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I'll probably give it a try, but the game I'm really waiting for is the fighting game.

It's probably a ways out, but I really hope to hear more info later this year

It feels almost certain they will show off a proof of concept at Evo later this year, they've been working on it for years

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

frajaq posted:

watching Korean Challenger games is some bizarro world poo poo, the games are so loving merciless its HILARIOUS

also tells me I should learn to play Ornn, Aatrox and Maokai
Maokai seems really strong right now. Plus he's good against some champs that are 1) really annoying (like teemo) or 2) I don't understand how to play against (like Yorick), so it's a nice one (at least for me) to pick up.

But really, I am just all Illaoi, all the time.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Firebert posted:

It feels almost certain they will show off a proof of concept at Evo later this year, they've been working on it for years

Yeah, I'd be amazed if they didn't have something out the door to demo at Evo. Even if you don't have something publicly playable until 2021, you've only really got one way to get the entire FGC's eyes on your product per year.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

New Dark Star skins revealed for Xerath, Morde, Lux, Malphite, Twitch, Talon, and Taric. Lux gets two skins, of course, both legendaries. :jerkbag:

I wanted Dark Star Karthus so, so, so bad, it would have been the only skin I'd ever need :negative:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Much as we joke about Lux getting a billion skins, her getting two legendaries is likely the only reason they can afford to give a new skin to the rest of that featured cast. Who buys loving Malphite skins?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

there exists a degenerate subset of gamer that derives a sick pleasure from how a champ plays mechanically and not because they're made horny of them

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
gonna wager all of those skins look like poo poo along with every new skin

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
They can make a new Lux skin every other patch for all I care as long as the particle effects are readable and distinguishable from other skills (loving Elementalist Lux)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

New Dark Star skins revealed for Xerath, Morde, Lux, Malphite, Twitch, Talon, and Taric. Lux gets two skins, of course, both legendaries. :jerkbag:

I wanted Dark Star Karthus so, so, so bad, it would have been the only skin I'd ever need :negative:

Twitch, Talon and Taric aren't Dark Star skins, they're seemingly reviving Rift Quest for those. Twitch also has a much more mouse-like look there.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

njsykora posted:

Twitch, Talon and Taric aren't Dark Star skins, they're seemingly reviving Rift Quest for those. Twitch also has a much more mouse-like look there.

They are and they're literally perfect.
I've always loved Rift Quest, so I'm glad they're making more. Now I just wish they made those skins for champs I actually play

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Lux is a cute and powerful wizard, so it makes sense that she has a lot of skins. All of the ugly gross bald dudes that fart out the Covid-16 virus do not need skins. This is just basic economics.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Space pirates are back in tft! 10% chance to drop a component item on killnig blow when you have 4.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
There was an issue where Riot released like 6 women that looked "Identical" years ago in like Season 3/4 and we thought that was awful but I honestly cannot tell the difference between skins anymore. Like if you line up the iG skin line I can't tell you which champion is which.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

RealFoxy posted:

There was an issue where Riot released like 6 women that looked "Identical" years ago in like Season 3/4 and we thought that was awful but I honestly cannot tell the difference between skins anymore. Like if you line up the iG skin line I can't tell you which champion is which.

theres so much visual and audio noise in these skins. theres nothing really interesting or distinguishing anymore, its basically world of warcraft weapons and enchants. everything glows, everything is colourful, and none of it matters

mecha jax is basically the worst skin theyve ever made. it has zero redeeming features

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

mpre. please

strong bird
May 12, 2009

the ig skin line i believe is intentionally designed that way because , iirc , that is "what the chinese playerbase prefers"

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

they are co,plely different skins. youll note the sultry diana has exposed midrift while syndra, canonically frigid, chastely only bears her side meat

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
w;min

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Personally I’m deathly afraid of anything sexual at all