Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

AntherUslessPoster posted:

-What struck me the most was our 'Earth' representation in the end of the episode. I'm very non-religious person but this slow camera move along endless line of Earth representatives of different religions made me feel proud. Everyone is so different yet we all are together. Man that felt good!

Humans build communities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've always liked that ending.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

-What struck me the most was our 'Earth' representation in the end of the episode. I'm very non-religious person but this slow camera move along endless line of Earth representatives of different religions made me feel proud. Everyone is so different yet we all are together. Man that felt good!

JMS is the exact inverse of a reddit atheist and this isn't the last episode that shows why.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

if you are enjoying these ones this much you are going to love s2/s3 (and even s5 is a little underrated imo)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
The Garibaldi talk with Sinclair about "being too brave" was one of those moments when I realized that this show was good and thoughtful. I had originally thought that it was following the trope of the commander doing all the hard stuff because he was the star of the show and that it didn't make sense why he wasn't using his crew. Then that moment happened and there was a reason why he was doing that. Good stuff.

Interested in hearing OPs thoughts on Londo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

McSpanky posted:

JMS is the exact inverse of a reddit atheist and this isn't the last episode that shows why.

Yeah, it's a real nice thing that religion isn't just ignored like in most sci-fi. I'm not a religious person, but I know the power and importance it plays in so many people's lives, and how it will continue to play an important part long into the future, so I'll defend the others' right to practice their religion all the same. Uh...within reason, I guess...

At first I kinda felt it might denote a lack of worldbuilding of the alien religions, but I think it fits. The Centauri are polytheistic, and probably wound up merging pantheons and differing religions on their own planet in a mess of syncretism. The Narn are still newly establishing themselves and haven't yet come to establish the importance of multiculturalism, there were prophets aside from G'Quan, but G'kar just chose the religion he valued most. The Minbari are a straight-up theocracy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't think changes made between a pilot and a first episode count as any kind of a "reboot", historically the pilot was there both to make the initial sale to the network and to help identify what works and what doesn't so that things can be improved for the series proper.

Sometimes pilots were close enough that they were just used as an episode in the series (and sometimes not even the FIRST aired episode!), and sometimes they were sufficiently different that they were never aired. "Pilot episode" is not synonymous with "first episode".

No I get that, it's just that some itt tend to take The Gathering as rock-solid 100% continuity with the series proper, when it clearly isn't ~MYSTIC POWER RINGS~, being an example. That's more what I meant by treating it as semi-canon or a soft reboot.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No I get that, it's just that some itt tend to take The Gathering as rock-solid 100% continuity with the series proper, when it clearly isn't ~MYSTIC POWER RINGS~, being an example. That's more what I meant by treating it as semi-canon or a soft reboot.

If the Gravity rings weren't in canon to the series anymore, JMS probably would have cut them out of the 98 re-edit like he cut out other dropped elements to the series like ships needing to take time to de-accelerate after exiting a gate or those weird privacy force-fields or G'Kar being married. Plus the [spoiler]Gravity rings[spoiler] re-appeared in one of the novels that JMS considers canon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Horrible Taste posted:

If the Gravity rings weren't in canon to the series anymore, JMS probably would have cut them out of the 98 re-edit like he cut out other dropped elements to the series like ships needing to take time to de-accelerate after exiting a gate or those weird privacy force-fields or G'Kar being married. Plus the Gravity rings re-appeared in one of the novels that JMS considers canon.

It's not really excisable because thematically it's a key scene for the pilot; G'Kar's stupid enough to bring up the existence of the Grey Council and we get a good look at what Delenn is REALLY capable of behind all the polite smiles. They were also something that JMS tossed around with bringing back throughout the series, but they just never did.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Babylon 5 is so good every time but we love enjoying people do an amazing thing: get to enjoy it for the first time. u never forget ur first time (watching babylon 5) :unsmith:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

How does it feel to use spoiler tags in almost 30 y/o show thread?
Thank you for that :)

This is one of the only threads if not THE only thread that goes out of the way to spoiler everything. But we are happy to do so.

Two reasons.

1. We know how integral it is to enjoying the show to not have the wrong things spoiled. This show is the living embodiment of :tviv:

2. We all loved watching it fresh and we can sort of live vicariously through new watchers. So we absolutely love reading when you have first impression posts.

The other amazing part of this show is going back and watching it again sometime later and getting to go :tviv: again because JMS hides poo poo right in plain sight.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I've never seen The Gathering and I don't intend to. B5 works perfectly well without it.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
The Gathering is interesting in the sense of seeing a rough draft of what JMS had in mind before giving it a good year in the oven (hoo boy that Minbari makeup) but otherwise not essential viewing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

CainFortea posted:

I've never seen The Gathering and I don't intend to. B5 works perfectly well without it.

You're missing out on Delenn's buttchin.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Zero posted:

2. We all loved watching it fresh and we can sort of live vicariously through new watchers. So we absolutely love reading when you have first impression posts.

Oh, this, yes. A new viewer posting their observations and opinions is like Christmas.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gnome de plume posted:

The Gathering is interesting in the sense of seeing a rough draft of what JMS had in mind before giving it a good year in the oven (hoo boy that Minbari makeup) but otherwise not essential viewing.

The Minbari makeup was deliberate. Delenn was originally intended to be male and become female in the chrysalis. JMS wanted to use the same actor in the part throughout, and as Delenn would only be a man for one season that meant casting a woman. The idea was dropped very late, so while the pilot doesn't use electronic processing on Mira Furlan's voice as was planned there wasn't time to re-work the makeup.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Just watched Objects in Motion/Objects at Rest for recording my podcast today. Oof, that’s a lot of feels.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

SlothfulCobra posted:

You're missing out on Delenn's buttchin.

:stonk:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

God, I had forgotten about how bad it was. Makes her look like Jason Alexander in prosthetics.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah... it was a neat idea but I am glad they dropped it after seeing the results.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I maintain my Hoo Boy

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I liked the androgynous look, but the fact that her head-spots are just the same as a Narn's gets me.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates
Babylon 5 had some really interesting alien prosthetics. They didn't always hit the mark, but they were really trying to make the aliens different. At a time when Star Trek was trying different variations on where to put bumps on foreheads or an extra nostril here or there, you had a parade of very distinct looks on B5. You had Minbari with bones coming out of their heads, Narns looking like intimidating badasses (honorable mention for G'Kar's chest), a few different types of encounter suit, and, eh, okay, not the Centauri.

It also helped that things like translation devices were actually physically there and were seen to be operating, rather than Trek's babel fish / auto lip syncing magic. I remember realising how cool it was that the spooky noise you hear when Kosh speaks isn't just for effect, it's his actual voice, and the ominous speaking voice is the suit's translation system. It's cool that Vorlons couldn't settle for a non-spooky sounding voice for their translators. Those guys love drama.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
This is an extensive show indeed! I binged watched up to e10, still don't have time to write all thoughts down and also feel I have to extend more on that religious theme in ep 5 because that was the most beautiful representation of human traditions and beliefs without it being about a religion. The continuity rocks (Garibaldi reading a newspaper with headline being about the guy caught back in prev episode).
I will write all down for sure, just want to enjoy it for now, so I'm not disappearing yet :P

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This is an extensive show indeed! I binged watched up to e10, still don't have time to write all thoughts down and also feel I have to extend more on that religious theme in ep 5 because that was the most beautiful representation of human traditions and beliefs without it being about a religion. The continuity rocks (Garibaldi reading a newspaper with headline being about the guy caught back in prev episode).
I will write all down for sure, just want to enjoy it for now, so I'm not disappearing yet :P

wehavesuchwonders2showu.gif

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dirty posted:

Babylon 5 had some really interesting alien prosthetics. They didn't always hit the mark, but they were really trying to make the aliens different. At a time when Star Trek was trying different variations on where to put bumps on foreheads or an extra nostril here or there, you had a parade of very distinct looks on B5. You had Minbari with bones coming out of their heads, Narns looking like intimidating badasses (honorable mention for G'Kar's chest), a few different types of encounter suit, and, eh, okay, not the Centauri.

That's part of why the pakmara are everywhere, despite rarely having anything important to do. They're such a distinct alien design with those wiggly face tentacles.

I wonder if the fact that it's a full face mask might even make it easier to apply than makeup, since there's no actual human features that have to show through.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I just finished my third re-watch. All of the feels are still there, just like when it first aired. For the last two episodes my eyes were tearing up continuously.

So awesome.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

That's part of why the pakmara are everywhere, despite rarely having anything important to do. They're such a distinct alien design with those wiggly face tentacles.

I wonder if the fact that it's a full face mask might even make it easier to apply than makeup, since there's no actual human features that have to show through.

I think Gaim show up fairly frequently in the backgrounds for the same reason, their encounter suit is just a rubber diving suit with a gas mask but it works so well at conveying "that dude must be seriously alien to need all that poo poo to hang out in our environment". Like an oxygen atmosphere is their equivalent of Venus or something.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

mllaneza posted:

I just finished my third re-watch. All of the feels are still there, just like when it first aired. For the last two episodes my eyes were tearing up continuously.

So awesome.

If I ever have to make myself cry, my best go-to is recalling the "Sleeping in Light" music and then remembering the scene on the bench at the end of the episode.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I’m a new watcher, few episodes into season 2. I know the reason they swapped out Sinclair, but... I hate Sheridan so far. His two emotions are “punchable smile” and “GETTING REALLY MAD AND SHOUTING FOR NO REASON!!” He’s just a horrible generic military man who is bizarrely combative when talking to people. Does this guy become less of a dick later on, or am I supposed to like him? I really liked Sinclair, he was chill and calm and didn’t keep spouting inspirational quotes.

Also for all the playing-up they do about how humans and Minbari still hate each other after the war, both Sinclair and Sheridan always look like they’re seconds away from making out with Delenn. I suspect Minbari mind control :tinfoil:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
He's not written particularly brilliantly at the start. I dunno how much Garibaldi's "I don't know you" is supposed to be an audience proxy, but probably a lot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I’m a new watcher, few episodes into season 2. I know the reason they swapped out Sinclair, but... I hate Sheridan so far. His two emotions are “punchable smile” and “GETTING REALLY MAD AND SHOUTING FOR NO REASON!!” He’s just a horrible generic military man who is bizarrely combative when talking to people. Does this guy become less of a dick later on, or am I supposed to like him? I really liked Sinclair, he was chill and calm and didn’t keep spouting inspirational quotes.

Also for all the playing-up they do about how humans and Minbari still hate each other after the war, both Sinclair and Sheridan always look like they’re seconds away from making out with Delenn. I suspect Minbari mind control :tinfoil:

There is a very specific reason for this, keep watching.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He's not written particularly brilliantly at the start. I dunno how much Garibaldi's "I don't know you" is supposed to be an audience proxy, but probably a lot.

It's playing into how he was assigned, because he doesn't know who he can and can't trust under his command initially and he NEEDS to look hardline-military for the brass back home.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
(Early sheridan) There's an element of that, but his super brash all american style isn't exactly the same thing, imo, and I tend to chalk it up to not having a handle on the character yet

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I imagine a fair amount of it is reactionary also to the fanbase's split opinion on Sinclair in the first place (during airing). If you're gonna bring a new main character in, they have to be distinctly different, otherwise you run the risk of casting a new character that's a little too close to the one they're replacing (*cough* Lochley)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There is a very specific reason for this, keep watching.

It's playing into how he was assigned, because he doesn't know who he can and can't trust under his command initially and he NEEDS to look hardline-military for the brass back home.

This point is pretty valid, from what I remember it doesn't take long for in the season for us to get a look at Sheridan's actual character when we find out about this

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yeah, I remember that striking me on rewatch, too. I can probably find the posts I made then, but :effort: and also potentially spoilers.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Hahah totally 100% agree here man.
Which brings me to a thing. I've devoured up to s3 and cannot stop watching to write stuff down in a post.

Send halp

ps
watching other sci-fi shows shows how better story in B5 is, good continuity and all that stuff.
Makes watching modern stuff almost unbearable.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
You have been infected, your only hope is to infect others with the love for B5 so you can live vicariously through their first watch.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

You have been infected, your only hope is to infect others with the love for B5 so you can live vicariously through their first watch.

'tis the reason I have this thread bookmarked. Makes me smile every time.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ps
watching other sci-fi shows shows how better story in B5 is, good continuity and all that stuff.
Makes watching modern stuff almost unbearable.

Yea sorry. From now on you will compare the story depth and continuity of every new show you watch to B5 and they will be found wanting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

(Early sheridan) There's an element of that, but his super brash all american style isn't exactly the same thing, imo, and I tend to chalk it up to not having a handle on the character yet

According to JMS in the script books, the way Sheridan is portrayed is intentional to throw the audience off balance and raise tension. He does a similar thing later on with Lochley so I tend to believe him.

Orange juice.