Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

drat son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I got an alpha key for virtual battlegrounds and tried it on Friday. I’m guessing their servers crashed for the alpha because I instantaneously won every round I was in because I was the only one in it.

Catch me on the leaderboards lol

Seems pretty cool. Looks better than Stand Out which isn’t a high bar to clear. Wish it worked though

The matchmaker rules have a bit of a broken counter problem at the moment. You launched a game with no one in it with bots disabled, despite your vote maybe having bad bots enabled.
The pregame lobby will have people in it if they are playing, they will show up on the big scoreboard near the middle above the voting controls.

I am REALLY digging VBG, I’m playing it 2-3 nights a week and scrounging up players at start times. It’s got a great map that is nice and dense, it’s got pretty good gunplay that is getting better, it’s got a low TTK that makes you play carefully and it all comes together pretty well.
I played some games today with 11 people that were totally insane, super tense fights and lots of sneaking and waiting and listening.
The devs are patching weekly and making some good improvements, can’t wait for this game to hit release and a lot of people are playing to get some great matches.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Dropped down to #6 I before quit, mostly from people making bullshit bets.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Room: A Dark Matter finally has a release date; March 26th, across all platforms.

Which frankly seems like suicide for a VR game.

I at first was like, "What? Why?" Then it hit me, Half-Life. Yeah, really god drat dumb move but I love The Room games and I'll be buying it day one.

I just won't play it for a week or two. lol

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
just started getting into Moss. i like the change for VR games. It’s basically a 3d jumping puzzler that plays like a 3d game, but with you being a god like figure that stands over and helps out. You feel like you’re there, but without the physical limitations of your body.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

UltraRed posted:

just started getting into Moss. i like the change for VR games. It’s basically a 3d jumping puzzler that plays like a 3d game, but with you being a god like figure that stands over and helps out. You feel like you’re there, but without the physical limitations of your body.

If you have a PSVR, or get the chance to play with one, Astro Bot: Rescue Mission does this extremely well too.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you have a PSVR, or get the chance to play with one, Astro Bot: Rescue Mission does this extremely well too.

yes, but the mouse in Moss uses ASL to talk to you, and will high five you. Does astro bot do these things?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RFC2324 posted:

yes, but the mouse in Moss uses ASL to talk to you, and will high five you. Does astro bot do these things?

I actually never noticed Quill uses ASL, that's really cool :allears:. I should really have another playthrough.

Astro Bot mostly just waves at you, and is just generally really happy to be out adventuring with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOqWdznjzy0

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Never saw ASL while playing Moss. Just pointing and high fives.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

rage-saq posted:

The matchmaker rules have a bit of a broken counter problem at the moment. You launched a game with no one in it with bots disabled, despite your vote maybe having bad bots enabled.
The pregame lobby will have people in it if they are playing, they will show up on the big scoreboard near the middle above the voting controls.

I am REALLY digging VBG, I’m playing it 2-3 nights a week and scrounging up players at start times. It’s got a great map that is nice and dense, it’s got pretty good gunplay that is getting better, it’s got a low TTK that makes you play carefully and it all comes together pretty well.
I played some games today with 11 people that were totally insane, super tense fights and lots of sneaking and waiting and listening.
The devs are patching weekly and making some good improvements, can’t wait for this game to hit release and a lot of people are playing to get some great matches.

Unfortunately my alpha key was supposed to expire last night and I didn’t get a chance to play last night.

Since you seem to know a lot about it do you know if my key will be good for future open alphas or do I have to keep trying to get new keys? The discord makes it seem like keys are very hard to come by and I completely lucked out by getting one first try. Is my access really revoked right now or could I still play?

I want to like it, I just couldn’t find anyone to play with

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

UltraRed posted:

Never saw ASL while playing Moss. Just pointing and high fives.

If you pay attention she says a few things, in particular I noticed thank you.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/3/16089720/moss-vr-sign-language-in-games

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Moss was easily my favorite VR experience. The gameplay itself isn't mind blowing on its own but the whole package is fantastic.

I may or may not have shed a single manly tear after the final boss of the game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Grrr... you made me buy the stupid 90€ cable from Oculus. Well, I did it because it has a 30 day return period, enough to recover the money if I see the problem still happens (that would be indicate it's a thing with my usb ports, I guess).

Now Oculus has my order pending because there is a problem with the payment or the address. They asked me some kind of official identification. And even if it's resolved, it seems it won't ship until March 11.
I've been trying different usb ports, and making sure there is no energy management issue in my pc, but nothing, I have cuts from time to time, and the thing is, I could swear they are more common now than they were when I received my usb cables.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 2, 2020

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Ended up going with a quest. I take it the current consensus is to not bother with the streaming with the link cable? Id seen some talk of using virtual desktop to stream games but not sure how everything compares.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Unfortunately my alpha key was supposed to expire last night and I didn’t get a chance to play last night.

Since you seem to know a lot about it do you know if my key will be good for future open alphas or do I have to keep trying to get new keys? The discord makes it seem like keys are very hard to come by and I completely lucked out by getting one first try. Is my access really revoked right now or could I still play?

I want to like it, I just couldn’t find anyone to play with

Your key will still work. I’ll be doing some more tomorrow night and I’ve got a YouTube of a good, intense round that I’ll be publishing sometime tomorrow that I think is a good representation of the kind of BR experience you can get from this game.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

w00tmonger posted:

Ended up going with a quest. I take it the current consensus is to not bother with the streaming with the link cable? Id seen some talk of using virtual desktop to stream games but not sure how everything compares.

Link streaming works well, it's not perfect but it's really good. I have an unofficial USB 3 cable I use sometimes. As it happens I also have an index and prefer using that but Quest + Cable is a great solution.

There are wireless solutions but it's not as good as a cable. You def. don't have to get the Oculus cable but reviews do say it's the best most people have found.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

w00tmonger posted:

I use Link and it's very good. If you have a very good wifi setup then Virtual Desktop also works very well but is higher latency.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Stick100 posted:

Link streaming works well, it's not perfect but it's really good. I have an unofficial USB 3 cable I use sometimes. As it happens I also have an index and prefer using that but Quest + Cable is a great solution.

There are wireless solutions but it's not as good as a cable. You def. don't have to get the Oculus cable but reviews do say it's the best most people have found.

Oh cool, well that's good by me then.

Any recommendations on a cable I can get in Canada. Can't really spot the occulus cable anywhere. Given my setup is it ok to run the cable off of an extension or is there a good route to going over 5m if I need it?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Just picked up a laptop for my kid's birthday since she wanted a more powerful computer with more RAM for coding and figured I'd future proof her and let her play some Overwatch and stuff with Dad by getting her a decent gaming laptop. I thought the GTX 1650 would be enough for basic VR but the Oculus app has a warning? IDK I'll try it out tonight and see if it's just a surfeit of caution. She mostly plays stuff like Rec Room anyway.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The GTX1650 is a weird edge case where it has a Volta NVENC block which seems to be unsupported by Oculus Link.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Well heck. Still it will kick the hell out of most flat screen stuff she'll reasonably want to throw at it in the next few years.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

w00tmonger posted:

Oh cool, well that's good by me then.

Any recommendations on a cable I can get in Canada. Can't really spot the occulus cable anywhere. Given my setup is it ok to run the cable off of an extension or is there a good route to going over 5m if I need it?

Oculus suggests this https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MZIPYPY/ but it's only 10 feet. I use a Vive link box as an extender. Yes you can use extenders but they probably need to be powered. The Quest is really finicky about what works. I'd suggest looking around and trying all the cables you can find, I managed to find one that worked I had just laying around, but before that I had to try many different cables that didn't work.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTLotwKpLgk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFjtVmka54E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qspam8ftpIc

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Nice to see ladders done properly also the physics look really really really good (the car door moment was great!).

9 mins of exclusive footage here: https://nordic.ign.com/shooter/34363/news/half-life-alyx-watch-3-new-gameplay-trailers

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 2, 2020

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Looks absolutely fantastic and I cannot friggin wait. I do wonder how they've managed to balance the game with all three locomotion options in mind, though. If you could instantly teleport in that third video the machine gunner would never be a threat because you could zip from cover to cover without ever exposing yourself. Seems like it's probably been a headache to get right, and I hope they've managed it.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 2, 2020

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

The Alyx videos are cool, but I feel a little underwhelmed because I saw most of this material in December.
https://youtu.be/qG7UJOWAztY

Although I am happy for them to not show off too much of the game, I can't resist watching it but I also don't want to be spoiled.

Happy to see that they implemented proper ladders, maybe by the time it releases we'll be able to jump in smooth locomotion instead of teleporting across all gaps.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Looks so dope but I will need a day one mod to remove all Barnacles because just hell no

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alyx gameplay looked exactly like what I was expecting.
Extremely pretty, extremely polished and extremely derivative without a single original idea.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Extremely pretty, extremely polished and extremely derivative without a single original idea.

R.I.P. VR

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Hadlock posted:

R.I.P. VR

:negative:

valve how could you

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Maaan hearing those old school HL sound effects really makes me happy. It also looks like you can change locomotion? I hope that's the case.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bardeh posted:

Looks absolutely fantastic and I cannot friggin wait. I do wonder how they've managed to balance the game with all three locomotion options in mind, though. If you could instantly teleport in that third video the machine gunner would never be a threat because you could zip from cover to cover without ever exposing yourself. Seems like it's probably been a headache to get right, and I hope they've managed it.

They might take the rec room approach where once you teleport you have a 2 second cooldown or thereabouts where you can’t move again. You need to plan to be somewhere for a bit and react accordingly after you move.

I have no evidence to support this, it’s just one thing they could do.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

While I await for my new Link cable I decided to try again ALVR, and still it's a problematic experience. It makes a decent job in the main thing, streaming the audio/video at a decent quality and latency, but it fails in the controller mappings. While it reports the controllers in SteamVR as proper Touch controllers, in some games it won't work well. I commented before the Blade & Sorcery case, today it was Gorn. It worked everything except the right joystic for snap turning. And somehow it would work with continuous turning!!!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I really like how you dont just warp things into your palm, it comes close and then you sort of have to grab it mid air. I didn't see any inventory management, hopefully it's just as engaging.

I'm going through Stormland now and it's cool, but Boneworks really spoiled me with its inventory/gunplay.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I really like how you dont just warp things into your palm, it comes close and then you sort of have to grab it mid air. I didn't see any inventory management, hopefully it's just as engaging.

I saw some things getting dropped into a pack over the shoulder, and another object shrunk into some extra dimensional wrist pocket.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Bad Munki posted:

I saw some things getting dropped into a pack over the shoulder, and another object shrunk into some extra dimensional wrist pocket.

Yeah, the shrinking into the wrist is interesting. I'm sure they'll have some Combine lore that explains how that works. Or they won't, I don't care as long as it's cool and intuitive.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Just watched those trailers for Half-Life Alyx.

Looks fantastic, Valve always nailed sounds, always always.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I've been playing Boneworks, and one thing keeps going through my head.

This one sentence review of Red Steel (2006, Wii):

quote:

The adventures of Rubber Arm The Awkward rear end in a top hat versus the army of men with no blood.

6/10

Not far off. Just bump it up a point and pluralize "Arm".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Is there going to be some other sort of locomotion besides click warping in Alyx?

I hate that.