Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I am working on the the idea that if I use a stylus my ipad will get less marks on the screen, though my case is sometimes leaving a none permanent mark on it too - if I don't care about paying big bucks for the official Apple Pencil is the Logitech version a capable stand in? On sale on amazon for £40 here at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I am working on the the idea that if I use a stylus my ipad will get less marks on the screen, though my case is sometimes leaving a none permanent mark on it too - if I don't care about paying big bucks for the official Apple Pencil is the Logitech version a capable stand in? On sale on amazon for £40 here at the moment.

?

I’m sorry but who cares about marking the screen? Just wipe it off with a clean microfibre cloth when you’re finished. If you just want something to jab at the screen with, any capacitive stylus will work. If you need to do handwriting, I guess either the pencil or crayon will work. If you have an iPad Pro compatible with the new pencil, I’d buy the pencil. Otherwise, the crayon is fine, but it does lack any kind of pressure sensitivity.

If you just want a jabber, go buy something for a couple quid.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, any marking on the screen will just be the pencil rubbing away your greasy fingerprints, and I don't mean that in a lol greasy goon way, just that every touch screen device inevitably gets filthy. I'm looking at mine now, haven't cleaned the screen in probably a week or so and I can clearly see remnants of most of the notes I've been taking over the past week. And it's important to emphasize that literally none of it is visible once the iPad screen is lit.

If any of this bothers you at any time, you're ten seconds with a Kleenex away from salvation.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Or.. like any smart cover that has a microfiber surface?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just use disposable capacitative gloves every time you need to touch the iPad.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just use disposable capacitative gloves every time you need to touch the iPad.
Don’t even need special capacitive ones; disposables are thin enough to work fine. Although as unnecessary ideas go, I think yours could make some money.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Don't touch your iPad at all IMO

Just look at it

Bend it to your will

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Just look at it

Bend it to your will

they have mouse support now!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm afraid I'll get smudges on my mouse :ohdear:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Be like me, never buy anything because I'm waiting for the more powerful version that's only a year away. Can't ruin what you don't have!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

I'm afraid I'll get smudges on my mouse :ohdear:

Martytoof posted:

Just look at it

Bend it to your will

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I went back and forth on getting a refurb 10.5 2017 Pro vs the Air 3. I finally bit on the Air 3 on Costco for $399 but then they canceled my order because it was my friend's account and I wasn't a member on her account. :argh: So I ended up getting my bank to release the hold on those funds and bought a refurb 10.5 2017 Pro which will be delivered on Tuesday.

Looking forward to getting it; apple pencil and case are arriving today, which is nice. Hoping I don't have the bright spot issues that were reported -- was that a more major thing or am I just seeing reddit bias?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Tensokuu posted:

I went back and forth on getting a refurb 10.5 2017 Pro vs the Air 3. I finally bit on the Air 3 on Costco for $399 but then they canceled my order because it was my friend's account and I wasn't a member on her account. :argh: So I ended up getting my bank to release the hold on those funds and bought a refurb 10.5 2017 Pro which will be delivered on Tuesday.

Looking forward to getting it; apple pencil and case are arriving today, which is nice. Hoping I don't have the bright spot issues that were reported -- was that a more major thing or am I just seeing reddit bias?

Never heard of them, my 2017 iPad Pro looks great

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Tensokuu posted:

I have the bright spot issue on mine. It sucks, and didn't appear soon enough to get fixed out of warranty. That said, if yours is a refurb it's almost certainly had that checked and fixed if it was there to begin with. But it is absolutely a thing.

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010

Tensokuu posted:

Hoping I don't have the bright spot issues that were reported -- was that a more major thing or am I just seeing reddit bias?

My 2017 10.5 iPad Pro developed the bright spot issue just recently, but I had a Squaretrade extended warranty and had them replace the screen. It wasn’t a huge problem, since you could only see it on medium-dark backgrounds, but it was just enough to be annoying.

Aside from that the thing has been great. I’m jealous of the Pencil 2, but not enough to upgrade while this still works.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I had my first gen iPP 13-inch battery replaced recently, and they gave me a screen with white spots all over it. Unfortunately before I could complain (because they weren't immediately obvious), I got a stress fracture in the glass, which then weakens it against impacts, and real quick it's got multiple cracks - so now I just have to live with it. At least it's just the digitizer.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My 2017 Pro had a bright spot and it got replaced and then the replacement developed a bright spot. Still under warranty so it was swapped again. New one looks fine now.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Just got a 10.5" 2017 iPad Pro from work and it's a wonderful device. So speedy and the display is beautiful by LCD standards. The new iPadOS UI feels great on a larger screen. The battery life isn't all that great, though iPad battery life has never felt particularly good to me from my ancient Air to my old mini 4 either. I'm still very happy with it.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 29, 2020

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just want my split keyboard on the latest pro

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Just got a 10.5" 2017 iPad Pro from work and it's a wonderful device. So speedy and the display is beautiful by LCD standards. The new let iPadOS UI feels great on a larger screen. The battery life isn't all that great, though iPad battery life has never felt particularly good to me from my ancient Air to my old mini 4 either. I'm still very happy with it.

I find it really hit and miss. Like if I'm just playing audio, it lasts FOREVER (across iPads), if I'm using ibooks I swear apple is running intense calculus in the background because it fuckin eats battery life. I know that screen on time is a function but it's worse than, say, web browsing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I just spent 10 minutes unpairing and repairing my Apple Pencil because it wasn't working.

The nib was slightly unscrewed.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I just spent 10 minutes unpairing and repairing my Apple Pencil because it wasn't working.

The nib was slightly unscrewed.

I've had that happen. Recently my OG pencil completely stopped charging, so that was a worthwhile purchase. I liked having it but it wasn't a daily tool for me. If i get to upgrade at some point I'll probably still buy the replacement because I'm unable to learn my lesson

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Kind of a weird question, is there any way to make the front facing camera picture in picture overlaying other apps?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

e.pilot posted:

Kind of a weird question, is there any way to make the front facing camera picture in picture overlaying other apps?

I think you’d need an app that displayed the feed through he video player?

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Is there any rumors of drawing/pencil upgrade with the new Pro?

I never actually owned anything Apple, other than my very old Ipod, but I need something easily portable to draw on soon, so holding out a bit and hoping for the upgrade to be worth it, or at least result in a price drop for the old ones

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Woodenlung posted:

I never actually owned anything Apple, other than my very old Ipod, but I need something easily portable to draw on soon, so holding out a bit and hoping for the upgrade to be worth it, or at least result in a price drop for the old ones

It's unlikely; they already recently introduced a second gen pencil that isn't compatible with the first technology so I'm not expecting it soon. But non-iPad Pros are now compatible with the first gen, and are cheaper, which might be up your alley.
Check out the support page for a good list:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205236

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Woodenlung posted:

How long are you willing to wait?

If you need something to tide you over, the lower-tier iPads are all quite good for drawing, though the newest “base” (non-Mini/Air, I know the nomenclature sucks) iPad doesn’t have the laminated gapless display. Some people hate that, others don’t notice it too much, ymmv.

The Pro will probably see some kind of upgrade soon, it was last refreshed in 2018

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The Pro will probably see some kind of upgrade soon, it was last refreshed in 2018

The pros will be upgraded soon, but I don't think that will include any change to the pencil tech

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Alright thanks for the replies. I'm willing to wait a months time, to see at least what they announce. But will probably just end up getting the old pro then, with the pencil 2. I realize the older versions are fine for drawing, but dont mind dropping some extra on a little better experience, as I am used to wacom drawing tablets, but just want something easy to carry around everywhere.

Woodenlung fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 2, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Woodenlung posted:

Alright thanks for the replies. I'm willing to wait a months time, to see at least what they announce. But will probably just end up getting the old pro then, with the pencil 2. I realize the older versions are fine for drawing, but dont mind dropping some extra on a little better experience, as I am used to wacom drawing tablets, but just want something easy to carry around everywhere.

For what it's worth the only performance difference is that the pencil 2 has a double tap feature, I believe. Otherwise they're identical. I obviously don't care which you buy but in case money is an issue, and you're explicitly looking for a sketching / art setup, you might be able to get a great price on used kit.

Even though I'll prolly get a new iPad pro next year, I might pick up a mini because I like the idea of having a pencil capable pad that's smaller than my 13-inch iPad.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

mediaphage posted:

For what it's worth the only performance difference is that the pencil 2 has a double tap feature, I believe. Otherwise they're identical. I obviously don't care which you buy but in case money is an issue, and you're explicitly looking for a sketching / art setup, you might be able to get a great price on used kit.

Even though I'll prolly get a new iPad pro next year, I might pick up a mini because I like the idea of having a pencil capable pad that's smaller than my 13-inch iPad.

Yeah I get you. But honestly that does sound like a useful feature, when the end of the pencil isnt automaticly erase like I'm used to from Wacom, so will want that pencil 2.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Woodenlung posted:

If if were me, and I desperately needed the tablet in a month I'd get a refurb Mini/Air first and then flip it for a newer Pro, but I'm also a weirdo who'd plan to hold onto it for like 4 years so I always err on being as close-to-refresh with my Apple buys as I can. iOS backups make it dead easy to move stuff around and have a cloud copy of your stuff, but also I'd make sure about any app-specific saving.

And actually after writing the above out, I've changed my mind. I'll leave it up, as it's definitely an option path and not a bad one. I will definitely say that if money/lack of familiarity with the OS/environment is important, getting your feet wet with a $300 combo beats spending $1100 on a device that doesn't work for you and has a big depreciation hit for being "old", so don't turn your nose up at the non-Pro iPads too much. Honestly it's still early enough in the whole Apple Pencil thing where a lot of the 'pro' stuff that it promises to do is still getting some of the kinks worked out, you may actually end up not noticing a massive difference in user experience between a super powerful Pro and a relatively lightweight variant. We're still at a point where the hardware in the iPad Pro outclasses a good deal of the software available on the platform.

None of the currently-available-from-Apple iPads will give you a bad or dramatically worse experience, but one never knows with Apple's refreshes. Sometimes you wait for months and get nothing of value, and other times you cash in on a major purchase only to have its successor come out a month after the return period ends and completely blow it out of the water. I can't imagine that the CPU in the current iPad pro is going to be challenged by anything that you throw at it in the next 2-3 years. There are rumors of a big camera update, maybe the requisite chipset bump (to be utilized by nothing in particular).

TLDR- you can probably buy your iPad pro in a month and feel comfortable that nothing featured in the new one will elicit any sort of envy or regret. Or you can hold off/save some coin with a cheaper iPad and trade it in/etc. No bad options

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have an original Pro and honestly see no reason to upgrade beyond "shiny!" The CPU is more than adequate for my needs, but I also recognize my needs are pretty minimal. I expect I'll keep it until it stops getting software updates.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Yeah I have a 2nd gen Pro and it's still screaming fast and really good.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The needing to get a case or strap for the Pencil 1 plus the idiot way of charging it makes the Pencil 2 a much much nicer alternative.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Dave posted:

The needing to get a case or strap for the Pencil 1 plus the idiot way of charging it makes the Pencil 2 a much much nicer alternative.

This is very true. I EDC a regular-strength iPad a lot of the time and the Pencil's a real pain to corral and keep charged. I say this as someone constantly losing writing implements, so keeping it with my normal pens is not the slam dunk advice you'd think it is.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I also have no idea what charge level mine is at until I notice that it has stopped working. Then I'm in a meeting and my iPad has a boner and I look like an idiot.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I agree it’s dumb but you only need to do it for like five minutes if you run out. Otherwise I just plug it in like other stuff.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

I have an original Pro and honestly see no reason to upgrade beyond "shiny!" The CPU is more than adequate for my needs, but I also recognize my needs are pretty minimal. I expect I'll keep it until it stops getting software updates.

This is my situation too—I only use it for reading sheet music and a metronome, so the only I’ll “upgrade” it when it dies in like 6-10 more years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jazz Marimba posted:

This is my situation too—I only use it for reading sheet music and a metronome, so the only I’ll “upgrade” it when it dies in like 6-10 more years

Conversely, I will say that it is quite possible to make the A10 in the 2018 iPad work up a sweat with a handful of VSTs and software instruments. Open up 6 or 7 instruments with effects and watch the CPU meter in Audiobus hit the 50-80% range.