Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Xaris posted:

lol. in addition to quite possibly permanent heart and organ damage even if you live due to attacking the ACE2 receptors in the coronary system, is also leading to increase of schizophrenia in older patients

https://twitter.com/RolandBakerIII/status/1234526270928539654

how could they possibly have enough data to tell, but also, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Xaris posted:

lol. in addition to quite possibly permanent heart and organ damage even if you live due to attacking the ACE2 receptors in the coronary system, is also leading to increase of schizophrenia in older patients

look, I was asking if it melted people, not melted people's brains, sheesh :doh:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dustcat posted:

how could they possibly have enough data to tell, but also, lmao

maybe thats why the screaming video out of china

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Xaris posted:

is this the Trump Derangement Syndrome i've been hearing about?

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

Xaris posted:

I see that it's following the same strategy I do playing Pandemic 2: try to spread it around quickly enough before all the ports get closed, and THEN spend all your points on new symptoms

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

NBD, it's just the medical insurance for the groups most highly at risk.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

FAUXTON posted:

loving hell it is getting into the brain lmaooooooo WHO SAID THAT

I'm fairly sure that at this point someone is loving CHEATING at Plague Inc.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

death panels are back baby!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
covid will likely wipe out a large portion of existing homeless population already, but if that ends up being statistically significant writ large, get ready for big homelessness rise in the coming years because lmao at mental health care in america

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lol asking about aid for travel companies before asking about aid for sick people taking time off loving disgusting

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

RandomBlue posted:

NBD, it's just the medical insurance for the groups most highly at risk.

Welp. I'm hosed then.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/lookner/status/1234178074406723585?s=1

huh, well I guess kids can get it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

twoday posted:

huh, well I guess kids can get it

kids always could get it, but they aren't dying from it

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Xaris posted:

tbh I can't really trust anything that comes from this guy's feed, it's all really sus quality. He's making these claims without knowing causality, and his other posts aren't too far from Prester Jane tier.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Martial law is coming

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

can't wait for my robot body

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Xaris posted:

This is not schizophrenia. It’s a brief psychotic episode vs psychosis related to the coronavirus infection.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

tbh I can't really trust anything that comes from this guy's feed, it's all really sus quality. He's making these claims without knowing causality, and his other posts aren't too far from Prester Jane tier.

Also I don't think that article has been peer-reviewed yet.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ahahahah

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Martial law is coming

about loving time

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Martial law is coming

The feds arent doing jack poo poo; martial law is not coming

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Don Pigeon posted:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

martial law would be bad for number

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Xaris posted:

firstly: that's a non-reviewed archive paper, secondly: there is likely a correlation with higher aged patients seeking medical care and check-ups regardless, and the discussion points out that mental illnesses are exacerbated by disasters

:shrug:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Yeah this but for all the tweets from some random person that get posted here

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Don Pigeon posted:

What about Martian Law?

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

Xaris posted:

kids always could get it, but they aren't dying from it

was there ever any followup on those posts a few days back that speculated that exposure to other coronaviruses might confer some resistance to covid-19, and that that could partially explain why it seems to have relatively little impact on kids? was that just random twitter speculation or is that possibly legit?

(I live in the middle of Seattle with a young kid so I sure as hell hope so)

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

slippery doc posted:

was there ever any followup on those posts a few days back that speculated that exposure to other coronaviruses might confer some resistance to covid-19, and that that could partially explain why it seems to have relatively little impact on kids? was that just random twitter speculation or is that possibly legit?

(I live in the middle of Seattle with a young kid so I sure as hell hope so)

we have no idea why it affect kids less, but it affect kids less, so these with childrens have very littel to worry

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dustcat posted:

can't wait for my robot body

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Martial law is coming

I never managed to catch that show when it was on the air, I heard it was a pretty good though.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
martian law

robot bodies

this sounds familiar

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

RandomBlue posted:

https://twitter.com/owillis/status/1234607697540063234

Just slap a flu vaccine on this bad boy and we're done.

dont worry Trump knows what to do (fire that guy IMMEDIATELY)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Heard from my mother in law in northeast WA, where I was surprised to see that their schools were shut down today. She said that her boss had received a call this morning that his kid had been exposed at a state band competition where two other kids have already been confirmed positive for COVID, one from King County, one from Lincoln. This was not the reason their schools had been shut, this was just on top of it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Doorknob Slobber posted:

lol goon spotted on stream

it was spotted dress lady

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I was at the hospital today in a southern state for something unrelated to corona virus or the flu. I asked a couple of nurses about this. Nothing sensational just "what do you think about this thing on the news?" Without fail they thought it was flu 2.0 and no special preparations are being made

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

I was at the hospital today in a southern state for something unrelated to corona virus or the flu. I asked a couple of nurses about this. Nothing sensational just "what do you think about this thing on the news?" Without fail they thought it was flu 2.0 and no special preparations are being made

The flu has always killed 2-6 percent of the people it infects and hospitalize another 15-18 percent, nbd

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

im seeing lots of Panic! At the Costco footage and for some reason everyone's buying 500 rolls of toilet paper

my family's starving but at least i dont have to wash my rear end

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

I'm glad people are buying out their masks.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Xaris posted:

based on a paper in 2015 looking at a similar corona virus, they had the same issue with inactivated and live attenuated vaccines, all making outcomes much worse in host and overload of cytokine storm when trying to suppress it. it's likely that a vaccine may not be possible at all based on experience with SARS
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4797993/

also apparently NSAIDs can make your immune system worse and potentially make an infection deadlier, and acetaminophen/tylenol could lead to more damage to the lungs. if any goon does get infected, stay away from nsaids and anything with tylenol

Lol this is completely false

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene
The mask isn't effective if it's not used properly :smug: