Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

It's called a television
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Has any company ever run an angle where the heel champ keeps intentionally getting DQed at all of their title defenses so they keep the belts? It sounds like a terrible angle, but OTOH retaining when you lose via DQ seems like a really dumb rule that would inevitably lead to someone doing that.
The entire reason no DQ matches exist is to have heel champs do this to build to one.

Somewhere along the line, we forgot that, because wrestling WWE is a cargo cult that just repeats things that worked before, but they start at step 3, skipping 1 and 2, and then they pretend 3 worked when it super didn't.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

TNA made a rule where the belt changes hands on a DQ and promptly forgot about it after 1 match.

UNTIL years later when Sting got DQed against Abyss (iirc) and lost the title to the confusion of everyone watching.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Critical posted:

TNA made a rule where the belt changes hands on a DQ and promptly forgot about it after 1 match.

UNTIL years later when Sting got DQed against Abyss (iirc) and lost the title to the confusion of everyone watching.
Abyss's first title win to boot. That was the last time I ever spent money on TNA. The Fire Russo chants were fun, though.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Critical posted:

Mike Tenay brought up the rule from time to time but it was usually when the ref was letting blatant DQs go. IIRC Rhino beating JJ for the NWA title involved Rhino goring JJ through a turnbuckle chair. Or was that the Abyss match that poo poo all blurred together.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think it was less of a "we don't know the rule" thing as it was a "this is really stupid booking because its completely arbitrary of when to call a DQ and the new champ looks like a sap winning it this way."

Which is the real reason why titles never change hands on DQs or COs.

NULL_SIGNAL
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/luchasoros/status/1234544798993911810

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

The entire reason no DQ matches exist is to have heel champs do this to build to one.

Somewhere along the line, we forgot that, because wrestling WWE is a cargo cult that just repeats things that worked before, but they start at step 3, skipping 1 and 2, and then they pretend 3 worked when it super didn't.

Not to be pedantic or petty or anything, but the reason you describe is actually more apt for Cage matches. "This weaselly heel can't run away from me, or cheat to win"

I always thought that No DQ matches were to blow off blood feuds where the two wrestlers hated each other so much they were prepared to go outside the rules to hurt each other. "I hate you so much that not only am I going to punch you, kick you, and suplex you, but I will also do *gasp* worse things like hitting you with a chair, or poking you in the eyes."

You are entirely right about WWE skipping the lead up to these kinds of matches though.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The problem with "heel champ intentionally DQs himself" nowadays is that news of the bullshit travels too fast. Pre-internet, you could absolutely run a series of advertised title matches that end in gently caress finishes and it would work. Nowadays, with fans' money tight and instant access to amtch results, having your main event attraction all but advertised not to be an enjoyable match is a significant challenge.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

E

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Okada in WWE would have his name changed to Johnny Hibachi and be jobbing in no time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

drat you think they'd give enough of a poo poo about him to give him a first name as well?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Since WWE 2020 is Doing TNA, But Worse that means Okada would be renamed Kato but he'd be OJ Simpson's buddy instead of the Green Hornet's.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

They wouldn't change Okada's name, they'd just pull a Nakamura and change everything else about his gimmick

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

TheKingslayer posted:

Okada in WWE would have his name changed to Johnny Hibachi and be jobbing in no time.

okada would keep his name and have an exciting 2 months in NXT with them putting the title on him immediately then facing idk like keith lee, someone good. then theyd give him some sort of bullshit program that they'll keep going 10 months past when its stale forcing him to have very samey matches over and over and he would somehow get 'always bad'ed

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Okada would get the Evil Rich Foreigner gimmick, and get stuck in midcarder hell as frequent injuries from the terrible WWE schedule put him on the shelf periodically.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
If Okada picks WWE over AEW he deserves his burial

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

TheKingslayer posted:

He'd come in to as Okada, have a good feud against, say, Adam Cole, then get bundled with Kushida as New Nippon and sent to RAW to job to Heavy Machinery.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WWE should let their guys bitch on social media more. It’d probably move some money.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lamuella posted:

He'd come in to as Okada, have a good feud against, say, Adam Cole, then get bundled with Kushida as New Nippon and sent to RAW to job to Heavy Machinery.

Nah, he'll be jobbed to some lovely experiment like Jinder Mahal, because popularity works as a transitive property. Said lovely experiment will do a terrible racist promo written for him by Vince, where he'll be like "Okada is sranty-eyed, ching chong ching chong" or some poo poo, and then Vince will be flabbergasted when everyone calls him a racist shithead.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 3, 2020

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

He's tall like Nakamura so he'd just get slotted in the same US/IC title hell. Maybe win a Royal Rumble and lose the match at Mania

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
they'd call him O'Kada and put him in a tag team with Sheamus managed by Fit Finlay

actually this would be so bad it's good so they wouldn't do it

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They'd have team with Samoa Joe again

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

they'd call him O'Kada and put him in a tag team with Sheamus managed by Fit Finlay

actually this would be so bad it's good so they wouldn't do it

Honestly, Okada doing an exaggerated and embarrassing Irish stereotype is absurd enough to be amazing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hahaha

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Wrestlers on Social Media - HORY poo poo

https://twitter.com/maki_itoh/status/1234781011411656704?s=19

Tweet deleted so here was a screencap:

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 3, 2020

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Monster Energy's Pipeline Punch was the biggest reason why Maki Itoh went overseas to wrestle in Mexico and the UK, so I guess she's never leaving Japan after April. She literally bought a suitcase and filled it full of monster energy in a Mexico trip to take back with her

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/itsBayleyWWE/status/1234710100905824258?s=20

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

WWE Superstar Rachel Dolezal in the bottom right

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Darkstar's nightmares

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bayley Banks & Bayley Ripley work surprisingly well. On the other hand Bayley Flair & Bayley Evans are nightmare fodder. And the less said about Bayley Asuka the better.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bailey Naomi is cracking me up

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

coconono posted:

Bailey Naomi is cracking me up

Big Rachel Dolezal vibes

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

OctoberCountry posted:

Big Rachel Dolezal vibes

it took me weeks to realize Dolezal wasn't a Sacha Baron Cohen gag.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

know it's already ridiculous to consider but can't imagine Okada going anywhere else besides AEW if he ever left Japan, considering how he's good friends with the Elite and how much they've helped each other out over the years.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm looking forward him leading a neo-chaos with best friends and orange cassidy

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Surely Okada has the leverage to open the forbidden door

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Man I’d love a New Japan/AEW super show.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

The_Rob posted:

Man I’d love a New Japan/AEW super show.

Bring back the World Cup of Wrestling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Big Huski Boi posted:

Surely Okada has the leverage to open the forbidden door

he's probably the only one who could do it tbh. Plus dude is only 32 loving years old somehow so if he wanted to make a shift then he has the time to do it