Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

YggiDee posted:

I used to follow the YouTube uploads at least but I guess Canadians aren't allowed to see them anymore.

Keep your eyes on YouTube on Sunday night/Monday morning. People usually upload the full episode in good quality. It eventually gets taken down, but if you've already watched it then it's not a problem!

And yes, Modi is absolutely a fascist. The comments for this episode on YouTube, Reddit etc are a real shitshow with Modi defenders rehashing the same tired old arguments.

If anyone here doesn't watch Hasan Minhaj's Patriot Act, he's done a couple of episodes about Modi as well which are definitely worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

I used to follow the YouTube uploads at least but I guess Canadians aren't allowed to see them anymore.

You can watch them if you go in through a proxy or VPN. I don't know why they've suddenly decided to region restrict them either - it might be because of Crave having the rights to HBO streaming content and maybe they've decided they don't want the YouTube uploads to be available.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
That's neat! I heard about VPNs sometimes but I never really bothered to use them for anything, I didn't actually know what they did.

(Can I get American Netflix this way?)
Edit: not without spending Actual Dollars, but it was worth a shot.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 28, 2020

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

YggiDee posted:

(Can I get American Netflix this way?)
Edit: not without spending Actual Dollars, but it was worth a shot.

Yes you can. You can also access the BBC iPlayer, Channel 4 and ITV from the UK among other overseas streaming services/geolocks. It will come in VERY handy for the Olympics since the BBC generally has the best coverage.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
You can, though with VPNs you get what you pay for. Most of the free ones have a data cap or dodgy software. The paid ones are good but it can be difficult to get American Netflix sometimes, as they tend to crack down on it occasionally.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Djarum posted:

It will come in VERY handy for the Olympics since the BBC generally has the best coverage.

I refuse to even acknowledge that any American channel carries it

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I work with an "offshore asset" who is based in India. He happened to mention that nobody knew what was going on in his country, that New Delhi was burning, and I told him that, yeah, I had heard about it. I didn't say it was because of a comedy show.

He said that the citizenship law is causing a lot of trouble, and it was purposely created to be all but impossible to comply with. The closest thing I can equate it to is voter ID laws. You know how they are harder for the poor, elderly, and some minorities to comply with because records may be hard to get (if they exist), and getting to a place where you can obtain the ID is not easy during business hours?

Well how about this: to prove you're an Indian, you need paperwork (like birth certificates, school records, etc.) going back two generations. That's your parents and your grandparents. Sure, we think: that's annoying and burdensome, but I'm sure I could get my grandpa's stuff, right? Well, it was around this time that India was becoming independent, and the vast majority of the country was a rural area where such records were simply never created or kept. India still has large areas that are barely out of the third world; for a lot of these people, these records aren't inconvenient to get, or difficult to gather--they simply don't exist. So, you're hosed.

And my Indian partner? He's also a Muslim, so he's double-hosed. He has no idea what's going to become of him.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

tarlibone posted:

I work with an "offshore asset" who is based in India. He happened to mention that nobody knew what was going on in his country, that New Delhi was burning, and I told him that, yeah, I had heard about it. I didn't say it was because of a comedy show.

He said that the citizenship law is causing a lot of trouble, and it was purposely created to be all but impossible to comply with. The closest thing I can equate it to is voter ID laws. You know how they are harder for the poor, elderly, and some minorities to comply with because records may be hard to get (if they exist), and getting to a place where you can obtain the ID is not easy during business hours?

Well how about this: to prove you're an Indian, you need paperwork (like birth certificates, school records, etc.) going back two generations. That's your parents and your grandparents. Sure, we think: that's annoying and burdensome, but I'm sure I could get my grandpa's stuff, right? Well, it was around this time that India was becoming independent, and the vast majority of the country was a rural area where such records were simply never created or kept. India still has large areas that are barely out of the third world; for a lot of these people, these records aren't inconvenient to get, or difficult to gather--they simply don't exist. So, you're hosed.

And my Indian partner? He's also a Muslim, so he's double-hosed. He has no idea what's going to become of him.

And they are putting them in "detention camps". Dude is basically Hitler.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sure hope that he doesn't get caught in a pogrom.

Mechanically, it's also similar to how the current American program of mass-deportation is aimed at people who many of which already did have some kind of official nebulous pseudo-immigrant status (part of how US immigration is an impossible hellhole to navigate in order to create an underclass) which was revoked without warning. Just, y'know, because Modi has the power to do crazy things at a moment's notice, he can just revoke everybody's citizenship status all at once.

I don't know if the plan is to eliminate all the muslims after rounding them up into camps or to mass-deport them...somewhere after they've been in the country for 500 years longer than it's been a country. Ideally we'll never find out.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
You could tell in tonight's episode how loving done John is, and I don't blame him.

Been hearing from Asian friends how they're being referred to AS "Coronavirus" and being treated like absolute poo poo, like people were just praying every day for an excuse to be racist. Been dealing with Trump's horrible mishandling of all this, up to and including calling it a "hoax," because he's looking out for self-interests in the Stock Market instead of actually being able to care about people. Been hearing about mask hoarding and price gouging and really, really dumb poo poo like that fuckoff pastor and his silver snake oil.

I am really glad that they were able to give a reasonable look at what is going on and what we should be realistically doing about it moving forward, and I fully agree that the Vietnamese song is cool and good.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

John getting angrier and more cynical can only have good outcomes provided he retains the core of well-researched reporting LWT is built around. He has a huge platform, maybe not on par with The Daily Show at its hight or something like Joe Rogan, but he still has a massive following and the ear of many self-affirmed centrists or "apolitical" folks. Having someone in that position who is, if not left-leaning, then at least left-curious is a big deal.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was kinda hoping to hear a story that wasn't coronavirus, because I'm already worried enough about the country's ability to respond to pandemics being gutted and not being repaired in any way as the administration consistently moves to hurt people like it always does. I live near a big airport, too.

Worth saying that people probably aren't so much specifically suggesting bleach as a cure for coronavirus as it's just one of those bullshit fake medicines being marketed as a cure-all being opportunistically offered as a solution. A lot like colloidal silver, only instead of turning you blue, it shreds up your intestinal lining so that the pooped out shreds look like worms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_Mineral_Supplement

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Please don't drink bleach or bleach like products, goons.

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe
His brief segment on Chris Matthews was very timely...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI8dk7cbin8

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Isn't he the one who did the weird comparison of Bernie winning to Nazis invading France?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He also last week thought the black guy in front of him was a totally different black guy on the tv who didn't really look much like him at all. Plus he's had a couple of incidents where he made sexual comments about female guests or women in clips.

I think this is the TV News equivalent of sending grandpa to a home.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funny thing about Chris Matthews quitting is that while the network knew about it I don't think they were prepared for how he did it, by saying he quit and throwing to commercial and apparently just taking off during said commercial.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

The funny thing about Chris Matthews quitting is that while the network knew about it I don't think they were prepared for how he did it, by saying he quit and throwing to commercial and apparently just taking off during said commercial.

Well it's not like he was capable of delivering a smooth goodbye....

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
There's no way he wasn't reading a pre-prepared statement off of a teleprompter. You can tell it in the delivery, and how well it goes when he improvs during his "normal" signoffs.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I was so giddy at the Claire from Bon Appetit reference. Dunno why.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

A whole lotta people love those segments. Modern processed food is the product of countless hours spent innovating and iterating by some of the best food scientists in the business. Watching poor Claire try and reverse engineer decades of work in a few afternoons is good fun.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I was as well. Claire was the one who drew me to the BA Test Kitchen videos, but at this point I watch everything they put out.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's always a weird feeling like ooh it's some special secret we're all in on when something on more traditional media references web media, especially when it's not just totally dismissive or manipulative.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

TyrantWD posted:

I was as well. Claire was the one who drew me to the BA Test Kitchen videos, but at this point I watch everything they put out.

Brad was for me. I actually am in the minority that doesn't like Claire.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I love how this portrait by Indian Tucker Carlson makes John look like the :staredog: emote

The Something Awful Forums > TV IV > Last Week Tonight: An ignoramus of exceedingly global proportions

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's kinda hosed up how countries will just randomly censor tv-shows. India cuts away segments as to not offend their Disney overlords, Britain for some reason can't show footage from the parliament. Hasan Minhaj also got his program censored by the UAE, because while they're totally progressive and cool it would be nice if people just stopped making jokes about them.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Wasn't it that the UK can show footage from the parliament but not if it's comedic in nature or something? It's way, way dumber if that's the case.

Speaking of censorship, Russia just subtly changed a line in the new Pixar movie Onward which has a second-long reference to a female character having a girlfriend which they changed to a more ambiguous "partner" instead. Several middle eastern countries outright banned the movie.

Also I immediately turned gay just because I typed all of that.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Well duh, thats how the gay agenda works.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like that he responded to the censorship and Indian Tucker Carlson, but I wish he had remembered to reiterate that Modi is still a genocidal fascist who is leading India to devastation. Because the best way to respond to somebody who tries to take a shot at you to kill your message isn't just to ridicule them in kind, it's to keep putting out the message they hate.

I'd wonder whether Disney actually bothered to actually set a policy of silencing jokes like that or if the sub-company acted on its own out of slavish deference to the parent company. Either way, this is what happens with big huge conglomerates that control way too much.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I wonder if it's just some cultural lag or something, I'd say that in 'western countries' self deprecating humor is a demonstration of self-confidence, Disney would never dream to publicly censor LWT or even respond to anything John says because that's just poor sportsmanship, yet in India the franchise operator is assuming that Disney would want its name defended while in actuality they really don't care about anything Oliver says and really all they know is that he trends well with males 18-42 with disposable income and that he should play Zazu because Rowan Atkinson is also a brit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So this week there will be a new episode but after that the show is going on hiatus due to the virus.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Is there really much reason for them to shut down? The biggest risk is the audience, but if they could still do the show without the audience and make sure the potentially sick writers and production staff stay home. Stephen Colbert's still going, although he's going weird from lack of an audience.

I guess it's selfish to want them to keep going, but they do already take a big chunk of the year off, and it'd be nice to get the maximum possible number of informative pieces before the election. It's not like all the other problems go away during the epidemic.

I guess maybe research would be harder with everyone else clamping down? Is NYC transit a major risk?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You're still putting your staff and crew at risk and sending a mixed message about the whole "self quarantining" thing. If the jobs are secure and pay is secure then the responsible thing is to take a break.

And yes, I can't imagine how NYC public transportation wouldn't be a massive exposure risk.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
He should just do the show with a webcam from his house.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
oliver?ijustmether! is now streaming Real Life!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

SlothfulCobra posted:

Is there really much reason for them to shut down? The biggest risk is the audience, but if they could still do the show without the audience and make sure the potentially sick writers and production staff stay home. Stephen Colbert's still going, although he's going weird from lack of an audience.

I guess it's selfish to want them to keep going, but they do already take a big chunk of the year off, and it'd be nice to get the maximum possible number of informative pieces before the election. It's not like all the other problems go away during the epidemic.

I guess maybe research would be harder with everyone else clamping down? Is NYC transit a major risk?

Colbert along with everyone else is suspending production until the end of the month. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets extended. But the bigger reason to shut down is that you have a couple hundred people working in producing a show that need to leave their home and interact with each other.

NYC is about to pop with infections as well. The first death happened this morning and things are going to get a lot worse.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/lastweektonight/status/1238918262706114560?s=21

I wonder what they mean by shortened form. Are they just doing the main story and skipping the other segments?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No "And now"? :ohdear:

Not sure how I feel about canceling the shows. Couldn't they all work from home and then it's be pretty much John talking to a camera in the studio anyway.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's still a shitload of crew making that camera work, the lights, the microphones, the chyrons and graphics, the teleprompter, etc and making sure it gets out to the public.

My guess is that's why its "shortened." They'll have a skeleton crew in but I'm guessing they've already sent writers and office staff home as well as editors and graphic designers and stuff like that. Yeah, some of that could be done from home but not nearly as efficiently as in office.

My guess is we'll get an episode that feels kind of under produced.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

STAC Goat posted:

There's still a shitload of crew making that camera work, the lights, the microphones, the chyrons and graphics, the teleprompter, etc and making sure it gets out to the public.

My guess is that's why its "shortened." They'll have a skeleton crew in but I'm guessing they've already sent writers and office staff home as well as editors and graphic designers and stuff like that. Yeah, some of that could be done from home but not nearly as efficiently as in office.

My guess is we'll get an episode that feels kind of under produced.

Pretty much. For something like LWT I assume there is at least 200 people on staff working to get the show on the air. For something like Colbert you are looking at 300 easy and for SNL 4-500 depending on the week. If you count the support staff, remote tapings, set people, etc that number balloons.

You can run with a skeleton crew but you are still looking at around 75 people or so to just run everything. Another thing to realize is most behind the scenes people on these shows are not young. Most camera operators are in their 50s+. They are high end, well paying gigs that only the best and longest term people get.