Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Bean talk: canned refried beans are where it's at. Mix one can refried beans with half a can diced tomatoes (drained) in a pan, stir in half a diced onion, maybe a (fresh!) Finely chopped Jalapeno, bingo-bango you have 2 lbs (1kg) of refried bean taco filling. You can add in Anaheim peppers, Bell peppers, red onion, cillantro, mashed garlic etc to fill out the volume as well. A tablespoon of two of olive oil helps with digestion and makes everything blend better

Put two spoonfuls refried bean mix in each 10" soft taco tortilla, one spoonful if things are dire. Top with rustic cut shredded cheese (finely shredded tastes like nothing) and add sour cream (or Greek yogurt if you're adventurous) and eat.

Bean mix/bean dip can be refrigerated for up to a week. Spoon it into tortillas cold and microwave on high for 30 seconds/3 tortillas and add toppings

I can't imagine manually preparing and baking beans when canned refried beans are 80% the way to vegetarian tacos and only about 30% more

Quoting myself, but I sat out the 2008 economic downturn for a couple months on this recipe, it's solid and by rotating the cheeses and veggies it's pretty flexible

If you want to get really advanced, brown (carmelize) the Onion in the olive oil with some oregano, then add the garlic and let it lightly fry, before you add the beans. Then reduce heat to medium and add the tomatoes which helps release the beans from the pan, finally add everything else

It's a single pan recipe which makes it particularly goon-friendly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is hummus a source of protein already? Is pita bread and hummus a meal by itself

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1234746730001944577

"It was just the flu, bro." - Pope Francis

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1234746730001944577

Black smoke, it's herpes.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I'd be glad to be wrong, but I definitely do not believe the administrations is capable of this

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/03/health/us-coronavirus-updates-tuesday/index.html

quote:

Up to 1 million people could be tested for coronavirus in the US by the end of the week, health officials say
By Christina Maxouris, CNN

Updated 0831 GMT (1631 HKT) March 3, 2020

(CNN)Up to a million people could be tested for coronavirus by the end of week, the FDA said Monday, as cases across the US rose to more than 100 and health officials warned that the number will keep climbing.

Cases of the virus have now been reported in 12 states -- the majority of them in California and Washington state, where six people have died.

About a quarter of the current cases were likely transmitted through US communities, officials have said, meaning they were not travel-related.

"My concern is as the next week or two or three go by, we're going to see a lot more community-related cases," Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said in a news conference Monday. "That's of great concern."

Over the weekend, the US Food and Drug Administration further expanded who could test for the virus by allowing additional labs to develop their own tests for the virus. The move, FDA Commissioner Dr. Stephen Hahn said, would enable academic centers and private companies to develop and use tests.

He said up to a million tests will likely be conducted by the end of this week.

"We believe this policy strikes the right balance during this public health emergency," Hahn said in a statement. "We will continue to help to ensure sound science prior to clinical testing and follow-up with the critical independent review from the FDA, while quickly expanding testing capabilities in the U.S."

With more labs testing for the virus, the CDC stopped publishing the number of patients tested in the country -- a figure it had so far kept track of on its website. In an email to CNN Tuesday, the agency said, "Now that states are testing and reporting their own results, CDC's numbers may not represent all of the testing being done nationwide."
Cases climb, officials say risk still low

Meanwhile, state and health officials maintain there is no need to panic.

"We've seen an increase of cases in the United States over the weekend," US Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams said Monday. "I want folks to understand that we knew this was coming, we told folks that this was going to happen and it is why we've been preaching preparedness from the very start."

He added, "Caution is appropriate, preparedness is appropriate, panic is not."

Of the 105 cases, at least 45 are repatriated residents from the Diamond Princess cruise ship, which docked in Japan in February after an outbreak on board and quarantine. At least 18 cases were confirmed in Washington state, with six deaths.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

I'd be glad to be wrong, but I definitely do not believe the administrations is capable of this

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/03/health/us-coronavirus-updates-tuesday/index.html

That is physically impossible.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yeah this is one of those Pence approved not based in reality statements that in a rational person incites panic instead of placid complacency

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

That is physically impossible.

South Korea tested over 100k in the last two weeks. Just based on population we should be able to do 650k in two weeks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I assume what they're going to do is continue to limit what can be officially reported as a positive result while using all this obfuscation to imply that there's tons of testing going on and really almost nobody caught it (meanwhile everyone is getting it)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dolphin posted:

my favorite part of this movie is how it implies it takes an entire lifetime for a person to meaningfully change.

Also, pretty certain Phil would've had a psychotic episode during "the first day of the rest of his life."

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

South Korea tested over 100k in the last two weeks. Just based on population we should be able to do 650k in two weeks.

We ~should~ be able to report the number of tests conducted but that is cancelled since all the local labs have it covered and it's just the flu anyway

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
We'll surely avoid scurvy if we all eat pineapple.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Motherfuckers still say "2" death on the CDC page

This is literally the iraqi Information Minister, the website.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
It loving surreal being in China at the moment. Even here in Dongguan poo poo is locked the gently caress down. Almost nobody on the street. Dudes in borderline hazmat gear measuring your temperature if you want to pass checkpoints all over the place.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Charlz Guybon posted:

"We're gonna allow private companies to make and sell Coronavirus tests. Since it's now privatized, we are able to do a million tests, but we won't publish any numbers or results to avoid causing panic"

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Charlz Guybon posted:

They removed the number of people tested and now are going to pretend like they can go from <500 to 100k tested in less than a week

:thumbsup:

e: lol a million, not 100k

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BeefThief posted:

We ~should~ be able to report the number of tests conducted but that is cancelled since all the local labs have it covered and it's just the flu anyway

They're gonna give tests to the police in all major cities. The cops will throw away the tests and continue to kill homeless people with impunity.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
its a pretty weird situation at the moment with a few outbreaks going wuhan (south korea, iran, italy) while the rest of us are freaked out and looking dumb because things are ok

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Hedenius posted:

It loving surreal being in China at the moment. Even here in Dongguan poo poo is locked the gently caress down. Almost nobody on the street. Dudes in borderline hazmat gear measuring your temperature if you want to pass checkpoints all over the place.

"Everyone" in the West has forgotten about what's going down in China.

The fact China has been locked down for a month and only that has slowed the spread just hasn't been acknowledged by the half a braincell types over here.

Just the flu/we'll work through it still prevails.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1234794039280578560

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1234758484496916480

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

Mutations are totally random. In a situation where the viruses are competing for resources there would be selection of beneficial mutations, but in a situation where its just ripping through the world with unlimited fuel they're just random.

Sure but those random mutations are usually not prevalent enough to be noticed by anyone and certainly not "a more lethal strain"

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

poty posted:

its a pretty weird situation at the moment with a few outbreaks going wuhan (south korea, iran, italy) while the rest of us are freaked out and looking dumb because things are ok
It's going Wuhan everywhere. Most places just aren't checking.

Egypt for example. A bunch of people who traveled there have tested positive, which implies a big outbreak but they've only declared a couple of cases.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's going Wuhan everywhere. Most places just aren't checking.

Egypt for example. A bunch of people who traveled there have tested positive, which implies a big outbreak but they've only declared a couple of cases.

Probably smarter to do it that way. The panic caused by the idea of a pandemic is probably causing more economic harm than an actual pandemic. Not to mention the pandemic is also getting rid of a bunch of burdensome old boomers who are past their productive years and are just sitting around consuming scarce resources until they finally die.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

gay picnic defence posted:

Probably smarter to do it that way. The panic caused by the idea of a pandemic is probably causing more economic harm than an actual pandemic. Not to mention the pandemic is also getting rid of a bunch of burdensome old boomers who are past their productive years and are just sitting around consuming scarce resources until they finally die.

did you know coronavirus destroys your brain and lungs. google ace2 inhabitants & the USA liberty

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Charlz Guybon posted:

Wow that’s like 3.27 billion dollar revenue for the healthcare industry in one week! Time to buy their stock.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

limaCAT posted:

Thread shitposting it's F. O. E.

C.O.V.!
C.O.V.!
C.O.V.!
C.O.V.! C.O.V. !C.O.V. !C.O.V.! C.O.V.!

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
How hosed do you think India has to get by Covid19 until they finally start releasing data. It must be ravaging communities by this point.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Modi will aerosol it into assam to finally finish off those rebels

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
China gifted some masks and test kit to Iran. So the Iranian confirmed number will go up a lot.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

genuinely interested to see how long it takes to get onto the floor of the stock exchanges and whether it can overcome the scum

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Zotix posted:

Funny I live in Atlanta and Murder Kroger was out of Sanitizer, low on beans, rice last night. Oh and water was low too.

lmao I lived in Memphis a few years ago and we had had a murder Kroger as well

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/DeItaOne/status/1234817344096153601

iran has 290 mps (seats in parliament)

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/ClausWilke/status/1234621951064317952

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/into_the_brush/status/1234685467682979840

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Flayer posted:

How hosed do you think India has to get by Covid19 until they finally start releasing data. It must be ravaging communities by this point.

They might not necessarily be lying. Look at yearly world maps of the flu. Diseases don't really just teleport to whatever country is most vulnerable. Some years countries get hit hard by a disease, some years it almost totally misses them. It's random and luck based and can totally change one disease to the next.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Sedisp posted:

This is complete bullshit. Coronaviruses are pretty stable.

Viruses mutate to become more effective at copying themselves so far this one is very good at spreading and copying itself without killing the host while not having a vaccine for it. So there is not a lot of environmental challenges it needs to brute force around.

Is it? Is it really? Or is that just something you believe?

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

At this point I'm just waiting for it to spread into Seattle proper. All the cases right now are from the east side of lake Washington, Kirkland, or up north, Snohomish. Once it really hits downtown, oh boy.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Jesus loving Christ we are so hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Burn Zone posted:

lmao I lived in Memphis a few years ago and we had had a murder Kroger as well

They tore this one down and rebuilt it last year but it's still going to be known as murder Kroger.