Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They probably could of been in a position to capitalize on the rebound of New Japan too even with the loss of TV/Death of Misawa if they didn't have the Yakuza finance scandal too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

As I sit watching a random Excite Series show in front of 300 people I want to say that watching all the All Japan house shows on AJPW TV is a poor use of your time and probably wouldn't recommend except Yuma Aoyagi just went to jump off the top rope and had to climb down to the 2nd turn buckle as the roof is too low. Now he was vertical suplexed by JR Kratos and his feet almost touched the ceiling.

It's not really a good use of time but when the alternative is watching Law and Order repairs over breakfast it suddenly becomes easier to justify

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

As I sit watching a random Excite Series show in front of 300 people I want to say that watching all the All Japan house shows on AJPW TV is a poor use of your time and probably wouldn't recommend except Yuma Aoyagi just went to jump off the top rope and had to climb down to the 2nd turn buckle as the roof is too low. Now he was vertical suplexed by JR Kratos and his feet almost touched the ceiling.

It's not really a good use of time but when the alternative is watching Law and Order repairs over breakfast it suddenly becomes easier to justify

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Yeah, there was the venue in...Reading? That Chikara ran where they used a much lower ring and still could touch the ceiling that I instantly thought about

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

At some point DDT needs to run a show in a venue with an incredibly low ceiling, if only because there's a lot of comedy potential in a show where folks try to wrestle without bonking their heads, especially tall folks

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I saw El Phantasmo wrestle in a local indie scene, and when he was rope walking he could tap all the suspended lights on the ceiling...

..he then accidentally knocked a bunch off them into the ring with a moonsault.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Spuckuk posted:

I saw El Phantasmo wrestle in a local indie scene, and when he was rope walking he could tap all the suspended lights on the ceiling...

sounds about right for ELP

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The Yakuza stuff happened when they were on the way down in the early 2010s after New Japan had started to go up but it didn't help: without that stuff I think its pretty likely that they'd have been clearly in that second group of promotions with Dragon Gate and DDT at least. The other issues they had (inability to produce credible heavyweight talent was the main one: the mid 2000s was slightly early in people accepting either Juniors main eventing or people like KENTA or Marufuji working as top star heavyweights) would have dragged them down but the Yakuza stuff not only killed their popularity but started the ownership instability that led to Bushiroad taking control and making things worse which then led to the many ownership changes that led to Cyberagent taking over.

I'd argue that its not entirely clear that NOAH WERE the bigger company in the mid 2000s and even if they were just look at who was in the big main events: whatever you say about New Japan at the time they were making the effort to try and push new stars and them clearing the deck allowed for Tanahashi and Nakamura to become main eventers while NOAH kept on main eventing with the old names since no one else was coming through their system and that meant that while they might have been drawing more it was inherently unsustainable as we now see.

Venomous posted:

At some point DDT needs to run a show in a venue with an incredibly low ceiling, if only because there's a lot of comedy potential in a show where folks try to wrestle without bonking their heads, especially tall folks

this is every time Chris Brookes works Gatoh Move

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Spuckuk posted:

Ah, yes, a Lightbulb Deathmatch

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Venomous posted:

Ceiling Match. Like a Table Match, but you have to put your opponent through the ceiling instead of a table.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

IceAgeComing posted:

The Yakuza stuff happened when they were on the way down in the early 2010s after New Japan had started to go up but it didn't help: without that stuff I think its pretty likely that they'd have been clearly in that second group of promotions with Dragon Gate and DDT at least. The other issues they had (inability to produce credible heavyweight talent was the main one: the mid 2000s was slightly early in people accepting either Juniors main eventing or people like KENTA or Marufuji working as top star heavyweights) would have dragged them down but the Yakuza stuff not only killed their popularity but started the ownership instability that led to Bushiroad taking control and making things worse which then led to the many ownership changes that led to Cyberagent taking over.

I'd argue that its not entirely clear that NOAH WERE the bigger company in the mid 2000s and even if they were just look at who was in the big main events: whatever you say about New Japan at the time they were making the effort to try and push new stars and them clearing the deck allowed for Tanahashi and Nakamura to become main eventers while NOAH kept on main eventing with the old names since no one else was coming through their system and that meant that while they might have been drawing more it was inherently unsustainable as we now see.

this is every time Chris Brookes works Gatoh Move

NOAH was doing dome shows when Misawa and crew were still around. But they were real hesitant about promoting new faces into the main event and that's what really boned them. Between Misawa's death, Go Shiozaki leaving and Mrs Misawa being left a company majorly in the red, time has not been kind to NOAH.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Look at the cards of those Dome shows though: the 2005 one has the GHC Title match (Takeshi Rikio-Hiroshi Tanahashi) fourth from the top below a load of matches with people from the previous generation since they didn't trust them with anything more important. Sure those shows might have been more immediately successful but they showed long-term issues that New Japan didn't have (admittedly their issues were slightly more immediate but they always had the financial advantage over their competition) and they didn't exactly help them set people up.

The three main events were Misawa dying, the Yazuka revelations and then them trying to force Kobashi out before he was ready to go which led to that exodus; the latter two happening not far apart especially were important.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

tbh I thought Kobashi going was good because NOAH really didn't need a 2nd legend of the business dying in their ring.

I'd still argue Go leaving was a huge thing too.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Rikio-Tanahashi is super interesting match for all the wrong reasons as NOAH really set Rikio up for failure by having him have his first title match on a card with Sasaki/Kobashi and Misawa/Kawada thus insuring his match would not get over (and in NOAH the title match should main event or else the crowd is going to doubt your ability). And Tanahashi really felt like he was in the final years of Tiger Mask 2 phase where he was going through the motions due to Inokism glass ceiling.

Not that Rikio would of made it as a top guy but that match and how it was built is a good sign of why NOAH had trouble making new top main eventers

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

On that note, I still love that NJPW was reticent to call Tanahashi the ace until his contract expired in 2008, at which point he forced their hand by going to the Champion Carnival during his contract negotiations, being incredibly over in every match (even as the invading heel) going undefeated during the block matches, and losing to Suwama in the final

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Rikio vs Tanahashi was such horrible booking. Even peak Tanahashi would not be a good fit for Rikio, but not-quite-great & not-quite-over 2005 Tanahashi was especially ill-suited. Needed to be someone who could have a more straightforward, dome-friendly slugfest. If you switch the participants around just a little, Rikio vs Tenryu and Ogawa vs Tanahashi would have been MASSIVE improvements. Rikio/Tenryu would be a slugfest, and Ogawa/Tanahashi might have been an actively engaging technical contest.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

can someone expand terry gordy's bio on wikipedia his ajpw entry is literally two sentences

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.

Venomous posted:

No, they need to re-enact the air duct scene from "Alien" with, like....... Maki Itoh and some poor chump.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm not going to say last night's DDT was must-see, but they turned their empty arena matches into a Lego Deathmatch between Hiroshima and Shunma and Damnation vs All Out's tag match match turned into a "Captain's Drink Beer Garden Match*" where Daisuke Sasaki and Akito got incredibly drunk to the annoyance of Endo and Takeshita. Main Event was Brookes vs Aussie upstart Royce Chambers in a pretty okay match and afaik the only time two foreigners have technically main event'd DDT. Royce Chambers is a pretty good, young, flippy dude.

*Anytime there's a rope break or one count, someone drinks. Daisuke walked into the match with an almost empty Corona Extra screaming "gently caress the coronavirus, save the beer. He'd already had a bunch of alcohol before the match.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Main Event was Brookes vs Aussie upstart Royce Chambers in a pretty okay match and afaik the only time two foreigners have technically main event'd DDT

Kenny vs El Generico!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Kenny vs El Generico!
You can't convince me that Kenny isn't Japanese.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Blocks for Champion Carnival

https://twitter.com/EasternLariat/status/1233259817529114624?s=20

We're getting Sugi vs Kento so I'm happy at least.

X is Tajiri

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jesus. That's certainly a choice

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Wasn't that the origin of the Shelton X Benjamin swerve in NJPW

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Ah, good, Kento's winning for the second year in a row

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Guess Kasai is coming off hiatus for one match

https://twitter.com/GCWrestling_/status/1235381619848097793?s=19

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I watched the inaugural DDT Universal Championship match. Some thoughts on DDT Universe so far:
- Shows aren't broken up by match, so I have to skip around. I'm not a fan but I guess I've been spoiled by NJPW World
- I appreciate that the wrestlers (even the referees) are quippy. The atmosphere is a bit more laid-back.
- The English of the segment introducing the DDT Universal Championship was pretty good!
- They use mostly Google Translate so some of the matches/videos have weird titles
- Rojo matches are very fun. I just would like more context for some of them--why did they wrestle in a gym (they also went down to the neighboring Family Mart, and returned for the finish)? I got disappointed when I checked a video that had a bookstore in the thumbnail, expecting some wrestling to happen inside a bookstore, but it was only about dudes talking.
- This is more of a general thing, but I wish I knew wrestlers' finishers before watching their matches so I would know what to expect. Sometimes I just get surprised by a finish. Chris Brookes is particularly good a roll-ups, it seems?
- Is there a schedule of major DDT events?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Schneider Heim posted:

- Rojo matches are very fun. I just would like more context for some of them--why did they wrestle in a gym (they also went down to the neighboring Family Mart, and returned for the finish)? I got disappointed when I checked a video that had a bookstore in the thumbnail, expecting some wrestling to happen inside a bookstore, but it was only about dudes talking.

DDT's official English presence is pretty much non-existent, but good places to look for more context are:
@ddtpro_eng on Twitter - Still not technically an official account, but the guy who runs it does work with DDT and their sub-brands sometimes and it's not too uncommon to see wrestlers themselves acting like it's official. Often useful to have open alongside major events while watching them live.

Dramatic DDT - A very long-running fan blog that mostly recaps events and announcements. Note that unless things have changed, nobody involved with it actually speaks Japanese and it's mostly cleaned-up machine translations. Still, pretty reliable and a good source for results and recaps going way back.

If you want to see bookstore pro-wrestling, Here you go

Schneider Heim posted:

- This is more of a general thing, but I wish I knew wrestlers' finishers before watching their matches so I would know what to expect. Sometimes I just get surprised by a finish. Chris Brookes is particularly good a roll-ups, it seems?

To the point that his clothing label is called Death by Roll-Up.

The Dramatic DDT Rosters page may come in handy for this.

Schneider Heim posted:

- Is there a schedule of major DDT events?

Not one available in English as far as I know, but there's a calendar and list on DDT's site that shouldn't be too hard to figure out, at least in terms of knowing when events take place. Anything marked 試合 is an event; 誕生日 are just wrestlers' birthdays. Gold events are DDT, and the other colors are other promotions under the DDT umbrella.

Alternatively, it's a little janky, but you could also go to Puwota and filter by company.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Shows that are streamed live just have one big video, but smaller shows that get uploaded after the event are broken up by match. For instance, the bookstore street wrestling actually has wrestling in the bookstore and street but it's divided into the pre-match talking bit and the match itself, scroll down below the video. https://dramaticddt.wordpress.com/ this site is invaluable for figuring out what's coming up in the schedule but they don't give a gently caress about spoilers so results from non-streamed events will be up before you can watch it yourself. The roster page there also lists people's signature moves so you can sort of watch out for finishers if you know what they're talking about but plenty of them don't follow the standardized name. You kind of just have to watch for a while and get to know the roster. Chris Brookes's normal finisher is the Praying Mantis Bomb but "Death By Roll Up" is a large part of his brand.

e: took way too long writing that because I got distracted watching the bookstore wrestling

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

DDT's big event is Peter Pan. This year it's June 7th in Saitama Super Arena. Judgement is usually the other big event but this year they've moved it to Korakuen Hall because they just had a big event in Sumo Hall in November and Saitama Super Arena is a very big building so I don't think they want to hurt ticket sales for that.

Any event that happens in Korakuen Hall can be considered a major event and there'll usually be a title event. The next major event would be Judgement on March 20th. Main event is Konosuke Takeshita vs Masato Tanaka for the KO-D Championship with Chris Brooks vs Daisuke Sasaki for the Universal title in the semi-main.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Schneider Heim posted:

- Rojo matches are very fun. I just would like more context for some of them--why did they wrestle in a gym (they also went down to the neighboring Family Mart, and returned for the finish)?

the reason a vast majority of things in ddt happen is because takagi sanshiro or someone else thought it'd be fun to do or entertaining to watch. and that's kinda it.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

While we are on the subject of Rojo ProWres everyone should watch the elephant park one. It's here.

They are wrestling in some kind of elephant sanctuary amusent park thing because wouldn't it be cool if elephants were nearby during a wrestling match? This is all the justification that is needed.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/BAHUFMW/status/1235593202402381824?s=19

She did this to commemorate the fourth anniversary of death and as a way to make up for him not being there for her coming of age day.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

She looks just like her father and I always thought it would've been neat to see that gimmick passed on to her, but I totally understand why she wouldn't want to be a pro wrestler after what happened to her father

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://miruhon.net/140100

Some people put 2+2 together when he emerged from barely tweeting to tweeting about Sareee going to WWE but it seems that Simon Inoki is involved with NXT Japan, possibly even being the head of it. It seems that he was the one who recommended Kendo Kashin to the performance center?

Also the article speculates about Bushiroad possibly putting together a rival bid to make AJPW into a "League 2" for NJPW which I'm not sure would be any better given how they handled NOAH.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Things are working for stardom so far. Bushiroad would have to not just send Jado down to book All Japan lol

Its obviously just a desperate attempt to keep the WWE out of Japan if true. It would be pretty funny but still a little sad because it's probably not ideal if all of Japanese wrestling is owned by two companies while the industry leader eats off more market share every year.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

https://miruhon.net/140100

Some people put 2+2 together when he emerged from barely tweeting to tweeting about Sareee going to WWE but it seems that Simon Inoki is involved with NXT Japan, possibly even being the head of it. It seems that he was the one who recommended Kendo Kashin to the performance center?

Also the article speculates about Bushiroad possibly putting together a rival bid to make AJPW into a "League 2" for NJPW which I'm not sure would be any better given how they handled NOAH.

Jesus Christ, Simon Inoki. WWE gonna get grifted.

Keep Jado away from it for starters. Ishikawa is doing fine as booker so far. If you send NJPW guys there don't just have them run roughshod over the roster. If they actually took lessons from the NOAH failure it could maybe work. I don't see it being worse than WWE.

Send someone like Goto to over Nomura, have Miyahara go to the finals of G1. For it to work they'd have to treat AJPW as more than a NXT.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 6, 2020

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Bushi Road feels to set in their ways to funnel in STARDOM and possibly AJPW into their main NJPW cards. It'd be awesome if NJPW started having women's matches on their main cards but best case scenario, if they absorb AJPW they might use Champion's Carnival as an undercard tournament and scoop up Kento a couple other for their main factions.

Meanwhile Cyber Agent and DDT, I could see literally anything happening, they seem a lot more loose and they're much more willing to work with anyone and put them on their cards. They're even putting Gatoh Move to a lesser extent on the DDT Universe, and it's not rare at all to see DDT/TJPW/Ganbare Pro/etc interaction. One day Takagi could decide that NOAH is where they're going to send Takeshita, Endo, Brookes, Akito, Shunma, and a handful of other serious wrestlers to boost the NOAH brand and it'd just work. DDT generally likes to stay in smaller arenas but if they decided NOAH Destiny or Great Voyage is going to be that umbrella's serious wrestling summit and have four major shows under their umbrella like Peter Pan (DDT), Yes! Wonderland (TJPW), MAX Bump (DDT) and Destiny (NOAH) they could pull that poo poo off.

Worst case scenario is Wrestle-1 and/or AJPW being bought out by the WWE and NXT Japan starts. I don't think Japan is going to just roll over and die like the UK scene did, but I think it's going to hurt the niche promotions and indies more than anything because then what's left is going to have to hope to get absorbed into either the NJPW/DDT/WWE umbrellas to keep up.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NXT Japan will get murked. Whoever runs their japan office is gonna get the After School Special treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

coconono posted:

NXT Japan will get murked. Whoever runs their japan office is gonna get the After School Special treatment.
I'm like 99% sure that Tajiri would take over the role and his two promotions were mostly good, just oof, they were run so poorly.