Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/03/sun-princess-passengers-threatened-by-protesters-on-reunion-island-as-coronavirus-fears-rise

quote:

Passengers from Australia, New Zealand and the UK on board a Princess Cruises liner have been met by violent protests in Réunion Island in the Indian Ocean due to fears over coronavirus.

Still looking forward to that cruise, Burt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sandwiches_and_ham
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
why hasn't anyone mentioned stephen king's "the stand" yet

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

sandwiches_and_ham posted:

nobody knows what that book is about because it's impossible to read the whole thing before you die of old age

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Just looking at some of the number crunching in this thread and I had no idea so many epidemiologists posted on something awful

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Just looking at some of the number crunching in this thread and I had no idea so many epidemiologists posted on something awful

You mean you're NOT an epidemiologist? What have you done with your life until now exactly?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I think I speak for everyone when I say it's a little disappointing to wake up again this morning. Hopefully coronavirus gets here soon.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hazo posted:

Seriouspost: that’s referring to untreated hypertension, yeah? I have it but I’m on lisinopril and my BP is a solid 120/80.

Yeah, I have borderline hypertension (medicated) despite being a generally fit dude who works out 4 times a week. I'm not making GBS threads myself over this, but let's be honest: it's not helping, nor is the fact that I've been nursing one of those semi-colds for weeks now, so my faith in my immune system isn't as good as it used to be.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I've got a flight booked to London and Paris in June. Really banking on this whole "coronavirus" thing blowing over within the next couple months

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

sandwiches_and_ham posted:

it's been mentioned probably over a dozen times

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I've got a flight booked to London and Paris in June. Really banking on this whole "coronavirus" thing blowing over within the next couple months

Yeah, I'm heading from the US to Scotland in July and wondering if it's gonna happen.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

:pray:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the lord works in mysterious ways

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, I'm heading from the US to Scotland in July and wondering if it's gonna happen.

the guardian:
The UK government is working on the basis that it will take between two and three months after the first sustained human to human transmission for the outbreak to peak.
That potentially key point on timeframes was spelled out by Britain’s chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance.
After that, it would take another two to three months for it to taper off.

So yeah, by the time you get there everyone will be pretty much dead and society will have returned to highlander rules.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

mrfart posted:

So yeah, by the time you get there everyone will be pretty much dead and society will have returned to highlander rules.

But enough about Brexit, let's talk about the virus…

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

mrfart posted:

the guardian:
The UK government is working on the basis that it will take between two and three months after the first sustained human to human transmission for the outbreak to peak.
That potentially key point on timeframes was spelled out by Britain’s chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance.
After that, it would take another two to three months for it to taper off.

*sighs and unsheathes my claymore*

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

https://i.imgur.com/KOg9Az3.mp4

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

Looks like someone is on a god appointed mission to start the revelation.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

if the end times are upon us im gonna pull my dick out

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Fojar38 posted:

Even with exponential growth, if it takes two weeks to show symptoms and the rate of infection is 2 to 3 that is still a long time to reach 50 million

Of course this depends on the context like the quality of health care, population density, control measures, sanitation, whether or not your Communist government covers it up for 3 months before doing anything, etc.

The quality of the health care doesn't loving matter. Once you saturated the hospital resource and the doctors/nurses start dropping, all the new patients have to fend for themselves. It doesn't matter if your country's health care rate #1 or #50.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

this city is a blighted necropolis at the best of times so I'm not sure how you'll tell the difference

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

haunted bong posted:

if the end times are upon us im gonna pull my dick out

Oh no! The end times are truly upon us. Small, shriveled end times

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Bardeh posted:

nobody knows what that book is about because it's impossible to read the whole thing before you die of old age

That's like, half of Stephen King's books.

The other half are the ones successfully turned into movies or tv series.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gearhead posted:

The CCP economy is basically held together by people believing that it won't either abscond with all their profits or implode into a series of mutually hostile mini-Chinas that will spend the next 40 years fighting over who gets to be in charge this time. Any information which suggests that China is NOT a safe investment accelerates their inevitable fracture back into Wu, Wei and Shu.

koei-tecmo could use some new material to work with

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

BlackIronHeart posted:

I think we've got one case so far and it's in Dundee, so unless you're really into Marmalade, terrible traffic and quaint comics that are only sustained by Boomer nostalgia, so far so good.

All bets are off once someone finds a way to deep-fry the virus though.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 3, 2020

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Would be funnier if it was the same hand he wiped with. but still exceedingly funny

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Hazo posted:

Would be funnier if it was the same hand he wiped with. but still exceedingly funny

He still wiped it on the back of someone's suit that then someone else touches.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Disco Pope posted:

quaint comics that are only sustained by Boomer nostalgia

Like 2000AD Judge Dredd comics?

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
I dont fully understand the wisdom of the limited testing. I work in a clinical microbiology lab. Its the same rules for Ebola, measles, and mers. They set up gates to limit testing, to save money?

As of a month ago i was asking the state health lab if we should start working on an in house test, the CDC released a procedure which was a bit rough but doable. I was told no and that other labs weren't either and should just work with the state and CDC.

Now a month later they are starting to encourage other labs to bring on the test. It will take several weeks and because it isnt exactly a commercial test requires a lot more home brewing.

The CDC and by extension state health authorities may well have hosed everyone by wanting to play gate keeper as long as possible

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Sneak Lemming posted:

Like 2000AD Judge Dredd comics?

Nah, they're based down in England somewhere. And besides they're fuelled by Gen X nostalgia.

The Beano/Dandy, The Broons, Oor Wullie and the like are or have been based there. They're odd in that they're institutions, but I just can't imagine kids enjoying them.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Isn't it good that we're culling all the old?

The old will die and the young will rule

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Disco Pope posted:

Nah, they're based down in England somewhere. And besides they're fuelled by Gen X nostalgia.

The Beano/Dandy, The Broons, Oor Wullie and the like are or have been based there. They're odd in that they're institutions, but I just can't imagine kids enjoying them.

I enjoyed the Beano 20+ years ago but yeah I can't imagine my own daughter thinking it was in any way good. The funniest thing about them now is the insane price point.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Fartbox posted:

But soon we’ll need a new culling when the young become old.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shaocaholica posted:

But soon we’ll need a new culling when the young become old.

Who wants to live forever, other than boomers, of course?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol catch-22 on testing.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Iron Crowned posted:

Who wants to live forever, other than boomers, of course?

i'm not that into it right now but when i'm old and death is a real possibility i probably will be

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Anything happening? Seems like we're in a big lull now.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fartbox posted:

I have a weakened immune system so I'm not particularly thrilled

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Turns out I just had a super minor cold :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
A second coronavirus patient has hit NYC