Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I will make an exception for new orleans and also the food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Same with We Are the Champions: there are famous versions that end with "of the world", despite what articles on the Mandela effect claim.

Notably, the Live Aid version ends with it. I got in an argument with someone about that and even playing the album version and pulling up the live aid one on YouTube couldn’t get them to say “oh, huh, that did come from somewhere”. It was so stupid.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

Living in the cajun southern US is hell for that kind of thing. People just start sentences in the middle and expect you to mentally fill in everything that came before it while they continue to rattle off more words.

edit: My pet peeve is Louisiana. Just like all of it. Don't live in Louisiana. Don't go to Louisiana. Don't think about Louisiana, it's not real, someone made it up and everyone's going along with the joke.

New Orleans is the best city I'd hesitate to live in.

And the hesitation would be from the climate.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

New Orleans is the best city I'd hesitate to live in.

And the hesitation would be from the climate.

I lived there for two years after high school, and I think you have to be a little crazy to want to live there permanently.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

This is more than a peeve but I’m still gonna post it. Religion dominating aspects of things. What I mean specially is a family member on my spouses side died recently. This is a big family, about 80 or so blood related people. They had a wake or whatever it’s called at the funeral home and I thought you were supposed to share memories and stories of the deceased. What they meant to you, lessons they left you with, funny stories. At least that’s all the ones I’ve been to. This one was like 80% about praying about how good the lord is and let’s keep Jesus at the forefront at all times.

Open up with a prayer and then a small sermon. Here comes a son in law who wants to say a little prayer and then talks about how godly she was and that’s a good example to follow. Next up is a son who’s a pastor so if everyone could bow their head and give thanks to the lord for bringing us all here. I found out she went to church a lot and had a favorite pew. Now a grandson ooh maybe a funny story about their relationship or maybe just a sweet memory of them doing something. Oh I see it’s a story about how she had the same prayer every night before bed psalms 23 and in her honor how about we all bow our heads and recite it. Hope nobody wanted any kind of personal connection to this woman or what her personality was or what she did when she was younger or her first job or anything of that nature thanks for coming out and finally let’s all bow our heads and give thanks to the lord for bringing us all here tonight for some woman I guess not really sure who she was or anything about her but I do know society has gotten away from the lord and we need to get back there if we don’t like where america is headed

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

oldpainless posted:

This is more than a peeve but I’m still gonna post it. Religion dominating aspects of things. What I mean specially is a family member on my spouses side died recently. This is a big family, about 80 or so blood related people. They had a wake or whatever it’s called at the funeral home and I thought you were supposed to share memories and stories of the deceased. What they meant to you, lessons they left you with, funny stories. At least that’s all the ones I’ve been to. This one was like 80% about praying about how good the lord is and let’s keep Jesus at the forefront at all times.

Open up with a prayer and then a small sermon. Here comes a son in law who wants to say a little prayer and then talks about how godly she was and that’s a good example to follow. Next up is a son who’s a pastor so if everyone could bow their head and give thanks to the lord for bringing us all here. I found out she went to church a lot and had a favorite pew. Now a grandson ooh maybe a funny story about their relationship or maybe just a sweet memory of them doing something. Oh I see it’s a story about how she had the same prayer every night before bed psalms 23 and in her honor how about we all bow our heads and recite it. Hope nobody wanted any kind of personal connection to this woman or what her personality was or what she did when she was younger or her first job or anything of that nature thanks for coming out and finally let’s all bow our heads and give thanks to the lord for bringing us all here tonight for some woman I guess not really sure who she was or anything about her but I do know society has gotten away from the lord and we need to get back there if we don’t like where america is headed

A friend of mine from college died and a bunch of us drove out from Ohio to upstate New York for her funeral. It was extremely Catholic and despite going on for hours it was almost entirely about God’s plan, her being in a better place, etc. Almost nothing about her besides a brief thing from her little sister. I don’t think I’ve ever felt less closure about something in my life.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I was the only family member to speak at my grandpa's funeral. I was three or four wine glasses in and I volunteered because no one else would. I joked about him and talked about his high school yearbook and some annotated books I'd found clearing out his office. A bunch of his friends came up to me during the afterparty (it's a thing we jews have) and congratulated me in various states of drunkenness.

I vomited all over the guest toilet that night, but they still all suggest I should be a lawyer or a politician some day, having never seen my posts of course.

I'm not religious at all but somehow also think judaism is so, so much better than christianity.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm not religious at all but somehow also think judaism is so, so much better than christianity.

Same. Orthodox judaism and haredi especially seems so refreshingly free and liberating. I don't really have any personal experience with other religions than the Christianity I grew up with tbh, but it's amazing how from an outside perspective all other religions seem so nice and progressive. Like, Buddhists are non violent! Imagine a whole religion comprised of people who'd never hurt another human being. Really makes one think.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Crimpolioni posted:

Same. Orthodox judaism and haredi especially seems so refreshingly free and liberating. I don't really have any personal experience with other religions than the Christianity I grew up with tbh, but it's amazing how from an outside perspective all other religions seem so nice and progressive. Like, Buddhists are non violent! Imagine a whole religion comprised of people who'd never hurt another human being. Really makes one think.

No wow you’re extraordinarily wrong but feel free to have owned me if that makes you feel better

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No wow you’re extraordinarily wrong but feel free to have owned me if that makes you feel better

I'm just agreeing with your nuanced and reasoned religious assessment, calm down.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
When my grandfather died, there was a big ceremony and mass and the whole thing. Man only ever went to church to please Grandma. Over the course of an hour and a half, they mentioned him once, and Jesus a dozen times. Really bummed me out, and I was a dick to the priest afterwards.

Got real drunk with the family on Grandpa's dime that evening though, at Grandma's request, so I guess it all worked out.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Crimpolioni posted:

I'm just agreeing with your nuanced and reasoned religious assessment, calm down.

i will never calm down

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

i will never calm down

You flew off the handle because someone agreed with you. Don't try to play it off like you were joking.

I absolutely can't stand when people won't admit fault.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Crimpolioni posted:

You know there's a Buddhist country that killed off their entire Christian population right?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

This discussion feels like it has the potential to go REALLY BADLY!!! so try and play it as cool as possible, given the subject matter, okay?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PizzaProwler posted:

You flew off the handle because someone agreed with you. Don't try to play it off like you were joking.

I absolutely can't stand when people won't admit fault.

I will try again: I am sorry, I was very drunk and I basically read the first bit and it sounded sarcastic, which triggered a fight response in my brain because we live in nazi times and I get real angry and defensive about being jewish nowadays. I didn't mean to fight with PYF posters, PYF is a happy place and I love you all :(

(i will never stop drunk posting)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ookiimarukochan posted:

You know there's a Buddhist country that killed off their entire Christian population right?

A Buddhist country is currently genociding their Muslim minority.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

A Buddhist country is currently genociding their Muslim minority.

They're pretty much done by now, aren't they?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
My workplace uses Sharepoint and the online Microsoft Office suite to share files and edit them collaboratively. The online version of Excel has a horrible, work-impeding color palette for highlighting cells and it cannot be customized, and I hate it.

Why are there 3 columns wasted on greys, one so dark it's unusable? Why are there 2 columns of nearly-identical blues, and 1 column of grey-blue? Where are the light reds so I can highlight problem cells without resorting to that eye-searing red which obscures the text? Why can we not have custom colors?

Give me ROYGBIV + grey so I can highlight a much wider variety of categories of cells in my spreadsheet, goddammit.

OH, and online Excel doesn't have the ability to sort by color.

:sludgepal:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Rabbit Hill posted:

My workplace uses Sharepoint and the online Microsoft Office suite to share files and edit them collaboratively. The online version of Excel has a horrible, work-impeding color palette for highlighting cells and it cannot be customized, and I hate it.

Weird that it doesn't have the same customization as Excel desktop.

We're using Google Drive/Docs for the collaborative end, and while it might be MS Office for stupid idiot babies it does have a nice color palette.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

When people take the elevator up a single floor when the escalator is Right! There!

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I accept that little kids on the subway are gonna be loud and annoying and whatever. They're kids.

But please keep them from running around and inevitably falling on their stupid faces the minute the train brakes. Then they're just going to cry really goddamn loud and it was completely preventable.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I really hate how the national budget gets talked about here in the US. It's always about increasing/decreasing spending, increasing/decreasing taxes, never ever about scaling back the military. It seems like it's such a taboo subject for everybody. Talk to your neighbor about Bernie Sanders or whoever and it's, "Oh how much is all that going to cost?" Talk to some other person about reducing our presence in whatever country and it's, "Oh how many people will die?" But nobody ever talks about just not spending a huge percentage of our budget on the military. Can we just not do that anymore please? Why is everything always in terms of new taxes and spending rather than just redirecting existing taxes away from the military and into civil services? I know that answer, it just pisses me off that it's not allowed to be part of the conversation.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Instructional videos with background music. Best case it adds nothing and makes it harder to focus on the video, worst case it makes it so I can't understand a word they're saying.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
We’re coming up on one that drives me nuts:

People who say “eastern standard time” during DST. Just say eastern time, you don’t need to add specificity and get it wrong. It’s not some kind of time that sets a standard, it just means it’s eastern time without any alterations. God this annoys me intensely.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

People who say “eastern standard time” during DST. Just say eastern time, you don’t need to add specificity and get it wrong. It’s not some kind of time that sets a standard, it just means it’s eastern time without any alterations. God this annoys me intensely.

People who use time zone names instead of just stating the UTC offset. I don't know what the gently caress PST is and I don't care, just give me the loving number.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't know which stupid timeshift is daylight saving('s) time and you can't make me also I don't give a poo poo whether it's saving or savings.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
New Mexico and Sonora don't have daylight time and that probably makes them the best places.

docbeard posted:

I don't know which stupid timeshift is daylight saving('s) time and you can't make me also I don't give a poo poo whether it's saving or savings.

Daylight time is when the sun stays up longer, ie the summer one, which makes it extra dumb because THE SUN ALREADY STAYS UP LONGER IN SUMMER LEARN SOME SCIENCE

I cannot loving stand when the sun is still up past 9pm.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

New Mexico and Sonora don't have daylight time and that probably makes them the best places.

Daylight time is when the sun stays up longer

I’m a big fan of “make DST permanent”. Switching the clocks is a pain in the rear end, but I’d rather have it bright later in the evening than earlier in the morning. When the clock goes back and it’s suddenly dark at 430, that’s a major bummer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Only thing that really bothers me about daylight savings is that google is very schizophrenic about whether it takes it into consideration when calculating time differences. If you enter in "CST" instead of "CDT" or whathaveyou, sometimes it will correct you, sometimes it won't. Which is somewhat understandable because more and more places are choosing to no longer observe it, but it would be nice if google would use some of their infinite resources to make their search engine add and subtract time correctly. It can already count time correctly wherever you are, the hard part is over!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 15:08 on Mar 6, 2020

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Instead of daylight savings time we should have daylight losings time, I want it dark all the time, gently caress the sun

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Killingyouguy! posted:

Instead of daylight savings time we should have daylight losings time, I want it dark all the time, gently caress the sun

Same. The only time I've really thought "huh, maybe Britain is the place for me" is when they describe the weather over there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CJacobs posted:

Only thing that really bothers me about daylight savings is that google is very schizophrenic about whether it takes it into consideration when calculating time differences. If you enter in "CST" instead of "CDT" or whathaveyou, sometimes it will correct you, sometimes it won't. Which is somewhat understandable because more and more places are choosing to no longer observe it, but it would be nice if google would use some of their infinite resources to make their search engine add and subtract time correctly. It can already count time correctly wherever you are, the hard part is over!
Just specify an actual place instead of a time zone. Google "20:00 melbourne time in dresden" or "current time in wuxi" and you get the answer.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Killingyouguy! posted:

:same:

I don't need the sun to be up until 9:00pm, It cuts into spooky movie time.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Get rid of time zones completely and use UTC all the time for everything. Businesses in my area will have to open at 2am instead of 8am but... who gives a poo poo? I don't need a clock to tell me if it's currently night.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dip Viscous posted:

Get rid of time zones completely and use UTC all the time for everything. Businesses in my area will have to open at 2am instead of 8am but... who gives a poo poo? I don't need a clock to tell me if it's currently night.

That sounds like a nightmare for scheduling things across time zones. Trying to schedule something for 1000 and trying to figure if someone’s gonna even be awake for that is easier when you can go “well, it’s 1800 over there, sure”.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That sounds like a nightmare for scheduling things across time zones. Trying to schedule something for 1000 and trying to figure if someone’s gonna even be awake for that is easier when you can go “well, it’s 1800 over there, sure”.

What is this 1973? The internet exists

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Iron Crowned posted:

What is this 1973? The internet exists

It's a lot easier to convert time zones via google than to guess at where the sun will be vis-a-vis that person's schedule via google

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's a lot easier to convert time zones via google than to guess at where the sun will be vis-a-vis that person's schedule via google

Exactly. I don’t need a clock to tell me it’s night where I am, but it’s certainly useful for giving me what time it is somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

If the whole planet was on the same time zone, people would get used to it very quickly and then scheduling things would be very easy. And until we do that, I strongly agree with the original point that it's way better to just state the offset instead of using names that I have to look up.