Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
It's despicable. Joke about murdering your boss with a rusty fork in the open office floor like a good office worker, you heathens.

Wow that's certainly a new page huh. For content;
My boss is starting a massive initiative to restructure a bunch of teams into our team, presumably to build himself up higher and net a promotion that doesn't exist today. Except he doesn't have any support from the team members because he can't keep a plan or write anything down and nobody knows what our jobs are going to look like in three months, at the whim of this self serving rear end in a top hat trying to make a name for himself.

Recently it's been going so poorly that he's flat out lying to us. Lying about timelines, lying about which team members have agreed to join, lying about the impact to our workload. No matter how many times I point out what he says isn't true, he refuses to listen, and inevitably I find out from somebody else that he knew the truth the whole time.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

'straya

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Humphreys posted:

Especially when your boss is within earshot. AND ESPECIALLY when your boss was charged for killing a prostitute in Canada and the news of the historical charges were just seeping over to Australia where he was running a newspaper. I've pretty well doxxed myself for anyone digging enough.

The next meeting to discuss company values is going to be an interesting one.

I can't see how you can have a serious discussion about the ethical use of paper towels in the restroom with that lurking in the background.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It's despicable. Joke about murdering your boss with a rusty fork in the open office floor like a good office worker, you heathens.

Why a fork, cousin? Why not an axe?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It uses different processes to assemble the PDF based on selection? And one of those two is broken?
Linda like saving a pdf and "printing to PDF" are not the same thing.

But doesn't it have to save the PDF to a temp directory to generate it to attach to the email in the first place?

PremiumSupport posted:

I work with Dynamics GP, not NAV, but it sounds like the default path for saving PDFs has not been defined correctly. It tries to find the folder specified by the default path variable and fails, so it throws an error. When emailing though, it's quite happy to use the temporary files path, which is properly defined, allowing you to get to a save screen.

The one thing they repeatedly drum into your head when setting up Dynamics is to make absolutely certain that your default path variables are properly defined and the security settings on the folders allow the program access.

Well, there's that answered :v: Perhaps not having the default path point to something that may or may not exist on the C:\ drive? Perhaps...I don't know...something on the NAV server? :downsgun:

They've spent multiple hundreds of thousands on this implementation and we must have switched MSPs 3 or 4 times. Supposedly the one we're using now is pretty good...but so were the last few.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Hughmoris posted:

Why a fork, cousin? Why not an axe?

Easier to get the eyes out for breaking into the biometric safe.

I mean, I assume.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Uhoh, you failed the test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhfuuKiTcYQ

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
We have a potential security breach and my boss who has been here for 20 years just said "oh no big deal, that happens every now and again."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Weaponized Autism posted:

We have a potential security breach and my boss who has been here for 20 years just said "oh no big deal, that happens every now and again."

You can have a little security breach as a treat.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

D34THROW posted:

But doesn't it have to save the PDF to a temp directory to generate it to attach to the email in the first place?

You're assuming it's saving it to the same temp directory.
Maybe they're different and one has broken permissions or doesn't exist and can't be created.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You're assuming it's saving it to the same temp directory.
Maybe they're different and one has broken permissions or doesn't exist and can't be created.

So could I try creating that directory? Because, y'know, the idiot IT admin transmitted the admin username/password via email in cleartext?

EDIT: Didn't work. Created the exact directory, exact file, set up permissions, etc. and nothing. At this point, I don't even give that much of a poo poo about the extra step, it's a problem-solving exercise.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 3, 2020

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

D34THROW posted:

So I have to email for approval on POs. Not that abnormal, except that my boss takes a week to get back sometimes, which is really inconvenient when I'm out of material.

In order to facilitate this, I email a PDF of the PO from our ERP (Dynamics NAV). But there's a catch! If I click "Save to PDF", it says "Could not find part of the default path: C:\NAVTemp\default.pdf", but if I click "Send as PDF" it works fine and I save the PDF and cancel the email. What the gently caress is going on here :shepicide:

The more important question is why do you have to email for PO approval when Dynamics should have a workflow set up to do all that within the application?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

vibur posted:

The more important question is why do you have to email for PO approval when Dynamics should have a workflow set up to do all that within the application?

Ask the C-levels who spent millions getting this set up and still can't shell out for enough licenses for everyone in the company. "No Approval templates are enabled for document type Order"! So I dump them all to PDFs and send them to my manager and hope he gets back to me in a timely manner.

More importantly than that, why do I have to email for approval when I literally have an excellent track record? I don't buy frivolously and not only do I buy the cheapest I can find, I pursue vendors to get better prices (and ended up saving us over 50% on something just today)? It's dickwaving is what it is.

FAKE EDIT: Now wait just a loving minute why is this here and not enabled and why can I not enable it? :bang:

Okay, so I edited the list and enabled it.

:suicide:

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 3, 2020

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Asking why the gently caress the low voltage techs installing security and camera systems are using the same loving password at every client, getting push back "it would be to hard for them to document unique passwords on every system and we don't want them to have to resort to using phone apps to look things up in the field".

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Phuzun posted:

Asking why the gently caress the low voltage techs installing security and camera systems are using the same loving password at every client, getting push back "it would be to hard for them to document unique passwords on every system and we don't want them to have to resort to using phone apps to look things up in the field".

Translation: "We're too cheap to pay for an enterprise password manager."

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
As soon as leadership gets their heads out of their asses and gives us stories to work on my team is going to be working with another team at my office in Iowa, a team at the parent company's head office in Minneapolis, and a team the parent company has in India for a huge project that should have started 6 months ago. That part is another story that is just a clusterfuck.

Today we were told that they would like both teams at our office to go to the parent company's head office Monday through an unspecified day next week to participate in "team/relationship building activities" with the team we are going to be working with there. My team's response: gently caress no. This project has been a clusterfuck from day 1, you are not having us spending who knows how many days next week in another state for "team building", especially with less than a week's notice.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Phuzun posted:

Are the client internal or external? If they are setting up cameras for external why wouldn't they leave the default login for the customer to change?

Could be worse. We have 3 different video systems at my employer. A milestone, Cisco and some other brand I can't remember the name. Each with it's own software interface

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

:piss: stay calm employees. We’ve created a corona virus task force. Please use Zoom and avoid travel. Except you Virigoth, you are needed in California twice in the next month and Concur is mad you haven’t booked your flights more than 14 days in advance again. Tsk tsk

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Virigoth posted:

:piss: stay calm employees. We’ve created a corona virus task force. Please use Zoom and avoid travel. Except you Virigoth, you are needed in California twice in the next month and Concur is mad you haven’t booked your flights more than 14 days in advance again. Tsk tsk

Ugh concur, it always makes me justify my hotel room/car expenses since they get charged to my personal card; even though the hotel SHOULD be the company card (I don't really mind much though) but the company card always gets declined???

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

MF_James posted:

Ugh concur, it always makes me justify my hotel room/car expenses since they get charged to my personal card; even though the hotel SHOULD be the company card (I don't really mind much though) but the company card always gets declined???

That's not Concur, it's your finance people. They set it up for that justification.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thomamelas posted:

That's not Concur, it's your finance people. They set it up for that justification.

Well, yes, I understand that, I can still complain about it though.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

joebuddah posted:

Are the client internal or external? If they are setting up cameras for external why wouldn't they leave the default login for the customer to change?

Could be worse. We have 3 different video systems at my employer. A milestone, Cisco and some other brand I can't remember the name. Each with it's own software interface

We are an MSP and do the admin work on those systems. Clients have there own accounts to view and do actions. This is all pure laziness and no desire to even attempt best practices.

2FA was only enabled on our screenconnect in the past month and one boomer voip tech has thrown a massive fit about this change. I'm not sure how enforced this is beyond finally having the option on accounts, so I may have a story of how all our clients were crypto'd in a few weeks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phuzun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9b9IYqsb_U
Watch this, and prepare to be enlightened.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This is disgusting and despicable! Who lets a fork get rusty in their workplace?!

Push the boss down the fire stairs like a smart person, make it look like a slip-and-fall tragedy so there's no nasty fingerprints or bloodstains to incriminate you :rolleyes:.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

MF_James posted:

I always use my credit cards and expense it later for those free rewards points. Although there's been a few times I just drive my own car because it gets 45mpg and you usually make out like a bandit with that sort of milage.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The only thing in concur I don’t use my own card for is flights. Getting flight credits / cancelling is a loving nightmare with your personal card because of the accounting gymnastics my corporation does with owing money beck for the new trip down the line and other oddities.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

:tif:

EDIT: Literally as I'm uploading the PO log to SharePoint the email that comes through is fixed. :supaburn:

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 4, 2020

MF_James
May 8, 2008

cage-free egghead posted:

I always use my credit cards and expense it later for those free rewards points. Although there's been a few times I just drive my own car because it gets 45mpg and you usually make out like a bandit with that sort of milage.

I use my personal car when I'm in state, but most of my larger expenses (hotels/rental car) are because I'm flying out of state.

Sadly I do not get to put the flights on my card because that would be some sweet bonus miles. I do have a free day of rental through National already, probably will have 2-3 by the time mycvacation to san diego comes up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We have some new systems with 100gb network cards and nvme storage. When we turn on Intel VMD (a feature that enables hot swapping and led activity lights) the 100gb interface is not visible to the OS anymore. So after some head scratching and googling, we find this:

https://datacentersupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/servers/thinksystem/sn550/7x16/solutions/ht506197

"With Intel VMD enabled, all PCI devices behind the VMD controller, for example, NVMe controller inside NVMe SSDs, will be invisible to the operating systems on the server."

"This is a permanent restriction due to the Intel VMD design."

So I guess going forward you can't have hot swap if you want to actually use other stuff on that PCI bus? What the hell, intel. :iiam:

edit - more chatter says it might be a motherboard quirk. I guess you're supposed to be able to enable VMD on a per-slot basis. But I still mad about it.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 4, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

UEFI-enabled machines that will only boot from FAT32 thumb drives to install an OS can kiss my rear end. If they need a very specific volume label, they're gonna need to break out the mouthwash.

I had no idea how spoiled I was working mainly with HP Elites. Now I'm my boss' "can you get an OS on this $WEIRD_POS_HARDWARE

To be honest, the 24-core Threadripper system with 256GB RAM isn't a POS, it just really, really, really doesn't want to install Server 2016.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
what kind of OS you installing that's bigger than 32GB

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I already hate Airwatch. It's a complicated and fragile piece of poo poo that barely works right on the best of days.

But putting firewall rules that deny all traffic to the DMZ server, deleting the public DNS A and CNAME records, and changing the credentials of every service account without notice or documentation, and then expecting me to just magically fix it all when I discovered that it's broken is just too much.

I fixed all the aforementioned things and it's still broken and I'm at my wit's end.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I already hate Airwatch. It's a complicated and fragile piece of poo poo that barely works right on the best of days.

Ours never worked right. Agents wouldn't check in, data would be incorrect or missing. Lots of other bullshit.

AirWatch support couldn't even fix or explain why these things were occurring despite troubleshooting over a period of months.

We threw it in the trash and switched to Soti Mobicontrol.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Had a site that got scanned for PCI compliance. I've done this dozens of times with plenty of vendors and usually its a pretty straight forward process.

This time I must've gotten some snort junkie from hell because it was like pulling teeth to get the site passed. First off its a remote site setup with a site to site VPN . Initially the site, even though it was using IKEv2 would also allow IKEv1 proposals. We get flagged for this which was fair and we turn off accepting IKEv1. Except thats not good enough for the guy. He comes back saying that we're still allowing "main mode" negotiation.

That set off like 5 emails back and forth until I can finally make him understand that IKEv2 doesnt have negotiation modes. At this point I think we're finally done and I can close the ticket.

Then this shitlord comes back and asks for justification for remote management for the site and why its setup as a site to site vpn. :psyduck:
This is for a PCI compliance check!!! I honestly didnt know how to respond but was getting mad. I said that we needed remote management for the same reason that he didnt fly out to the store and run his little port scan on site. I think he's finally accepted this and will pass us but jesus.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Welp, sociopathic boss has broken me. Sat down with him and his boss to come to terms and learn how to work together. He refuses to compromise on anything despite it being the purpose of the meeting. He throws me under every bus he can find and doesn't listen to my responses.

And his boss defended him the whole time like I was kicking a homeless puppy.

Resume time I guess. Sucks because I really enjoy this job besides my boss. I could have any other boss on any other team and stay here for decades.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I already hate Airwatch.

Gartner's lawyers once prevented them from including Airwatch customer testimonials in an EMM report as they were worried they could get sued for defamation. Everyone hates Airwatch.
I am convinced that VMWare bought Airwatch to get their customers to push Cloud Desktop on, there's no other sensible reason, especially given that they paid that much for them when the company was about a month away from collapsing due to burn rate vs income.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ookiimarukochan posted:

Gartner's lawyers once prevented them from including Airwatch customer testimonials in an EMM report as they were worried they could get sued for defamation. Everyone hates Airwatch.
I am convinced that VMWare bought Airwatch to get their customers to push Cloud Desktop on, there's no other sensible reason, especially given that they paid that much for them when the company was about a month away from collapsing due to burn rate vs income.

I 100% believe this, but do you have a source for this? It's a garbage product and every year it gets more obvious that it's a trojan horse for their VDI and related app-delivery options.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Welp, sociopathic boss has broken me. Sat down with him and his boss to come to terms and learn how to work together. He refuses to compromise on anything despite it being the purpose of the meeting. He throws me under every bus he can find and doesn't listen to my responses.

Resume time I guess. Sucks because I really enjoy this job besides my boss. I could have any other boss on any other team and stay here for decades.

No other bosses willing to poach you to their teams?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You are a much more patient person than I.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

I 100% believe this, but do you have a source for this? It's a garbage product and every year it gets more obvious that it's a trojan horse for their VDI and related app-delivery options.

My source for it is the guy who wrote the report, who was my ex-boss, so nothing I can make formally public.
Up until the company that bought us pivoted away from mobile I worked for a company that was at least in the "provides MDM" an Airwatch competitor and I have all sorts of stories (from customers and phone providers) that I can't tell without breaking NDAs about the dumb, awful things Airwatch has done. It's public that AirWatch were the original MDM vendor on the LAUSD iPad scheme that collapsed because they had no actual management of iPads so I can share that much of one story, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Well, thank goodness we can get rid of AirWatch and replace it with the new and amazing WORKSPACE ONE, with not only device management, but with cloud desktop, and... HEY WAIT A MINUTE!