Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
According to the descriptions I can find, episode 6 is build the fastest car and build the strongest bridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

ixnay posted:

According to the descriptions I can find, episode 6 is build the fastest car and build the strongest bridge

Ooh fastest car, down for that. Thanks!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lego masters is so contrived. To me at least, the two young guys with glasses are operating on a much higher level than any of the other contestants and the judges are just nit picking their stuff so they don't win every week. Just finished episode 3 and the Kraken build was blatantly so much better than anything the other teams did, but they just made up some vague stuff about how they didn't stick with the challenge, which didn't even make sense. The actual winners were more like "most improved" awards.

Although I do think the alien in episode 2 winning made sense. It was pretty ambitious and well executed. Still think the judges totally missed the point on the space station though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They make good sculptures but I've agreed that they haven't really fit the spirit of the build a lot of the time.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Lego masters is so contrived. To me at least, the two young guys with glasses are operating on a much higher level than any of the other contestants and the judges are just nit picking their stuff so they don't win every week. Just finished episode 3 and the Kraken build was blatantly so much better than anything the other teams did, but they just made up some vague stuff about how they didn't stick with the challenge, which didn't even make sense. The actual winners were more like "most improved" awards.

Although I do think the alien in episode 2 winning made sense. It was pretty ambitious and well executed. Still think the judges totally missed the point on the space station though.

The Kraken one makes sense why it got criticized - the point was to complete the other half of an object in a creative way, and they didn’t do that - they just made a (very impressive) underwater scene sticking off of a diving helmet. It fit the nautical theme of the helmet, but in no way “completed” the helmet or anything like that.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

CodfishCartographer posted:

The Kraken one makes sense why it got criticized - the point was to complete the other half of an object in a creative way, and they didn’t do that - they just made a (very impressive) underwater scene sticking off of a diving helmet. It fit the nautical theme of the helmet, but in no way “completed” the helmet or anything like that.

Reminds me of Top Chef where you can prepare an excellent dish but fail the challenge.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

tomapot posted:

Reminds me of Top Chef where you can prepare an excellent dish but fail the challenge.

Yeah, think of it like if they were tasked with making a porkchop, but instead they cooked a steak. It could literally be the best steak the judges had ever eaten, but it still isn't a porkchop.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I did see a glimpse in that last episode of a time lapse shot. Rather than seeing a lame animated scene of their build "come to life" I'd rather they talk over a time lapse shot of their build coming together.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

ChesterJT posted:

I did see a glimpse in that last episode of a time lapse shot. Rather than seeing a lame animated scene of their build "come to life" I'd rather they talk over a time lapse shot of their build coming together.
The animated stuff was a cute touch. I also would love a little more technical stuff - it doesn't have to be super hardcore build detail stuff, but I'd love the judges to at least point out when something is made with complicated techniques versus when it's just plates stacked on bricks. Just, you know, a little bit of a nod to the actual mechanics of what's going on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It would be cool if they did what they did when the newlyweds mentioned SNOT techniques is to have the judges show off a new build technique each week. "Here's this cool thing, this team actually used it last week"

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
What I’d love to see is a blind guest judging where the judges themselves take part in the build too, either as a team or solo. All teams that rank higher than the judges get some kind of reward.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Golden Brick is a bit of an odd game mechanic. You get it for winning, but there is only one so it gets hoarded and isn’t actually really in play.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

smackfu posted:

The Golden Brick is a bit of an odd game mechanic. You get it for winning, but there is only one so it gets hoarded and isn’t actually really in play.
And, upon being spent, wasn't immediately available to be won again. That was surprising. Feels like it wasn't thought through too much.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
The show is ok, there are a few really talented teams in it and I look forward to them being the only ones left, hopefully by then they will focus on the building a bit more. The big problem is that the bottom 4 or so teams are just don't seem to be as good and wasting time on them only to be eliminated is boring.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Carbohydrates posted:

LEGO Masters: Feels like it wasn't thought through too much.

Anyone want to start a thread in TVIV? We have a title.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Plastik posted:

Anyone want to start a thread in TVIV? We have a title.

On it. Give me a sec.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

OK hows this? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3915949&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post502964071

Feel free to recommend anything to add to the OP that I may have forgotten,

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Scipiotik posted:

The show is ok, there are a few really talented teams in it and I look forward to them being the only ones left, hopefully by then they will focus on the building a bit more. The big problem is that the bottom 4 or so teams are just don't seem to be as good and wasting time on them only to be eliminated is boring.

Yeah pretty much. There’s 3 that are just clearly much more skilled than the rest.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah pretty much. There’s 3 that are just clearly much more skilled than the rest.

There's a lot more than 3 imo. The top players seem to be the newlyweds, Boone and Mark, Mel and Jermaine, Flynn and Richard, and Christian and Aaron. It's obvious the 2 cosplay girls won't be around too much longer at this rate, but Sam & Jessica, who used to be in the bottom, have really made a comeback. Their build in the 3rd episode was amazing.

Its still anyone's game really. You never know what kind of crazy challenge coming up that may take someone at the top down a peg or 2.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
This is/was pretty cool:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/fcsry9/lego_note_to_parents_got_it_right_in_the_1970s/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Given the way Christian and Aaron look at each other I’m really surprised they had so much trouble coming up with a romance scene.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

drgitlin posted:

Given the way Christian and Aaron look at each other I’m really surprised they had so much trouble coming up with a romance scene.

Uuuh Arent they brothers???

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jamie Faith posted:

No, that's the two black guys who are brothers. They apparently didn't build with each other until the first episode.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Jamie Faith posted:

No I mean the dude who looks like Jason Schwartzman and the dude who looks like a bro version of Rami Malek.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jamie Faith posted:

There's a lot more than 3 imo. The top players seem to be the newlyweds, Boone and Mark, Mel and Jermaine, Flynn and Richard, and Christian and Aaron. It's obvious the 2 cosplay girls won't be around too much longer at this rate, but Sam & Jessica, who used to be in the bottom, have really made a comeback. Their build in the 3rd episode was amazing.

Its still anyone's game really. You never know what kind of crazy challenge coming up that may take someone at the top down a peg or 2.

I think every team is good and there hasn't really been a build I've disliked other than whatever the hell that car pinata thing was supposed to be lol. I guess the globe dragon thing was pretty rough too. Couldn't even tell they were dragons. But to me the really strong contenders are Christian and Aaron, who like I said before I think are in a different class than anyone else on the show. Maybe I'm biased because they build the type of thing I like to build myself and look at online. Lots of small details etc. and all of their builds have a really nice sense of design. Only half way through ep 4 and I guess I do have to admit that they kind of twist the challenge into building what they want sometimes. That dragon castle barely ties into romance. I thought the kraken was legit incredible though, and I don't get the criticism that it didn't fit the challenge, especially considering what most of the other contestants did and weren't dinged for it. I thought it was bar none the best thing built on the show to date.

Second would be the married couple. I think their builds have been the most creative and are generally very well executed.

Third would be Boone and Mark. I like everything they've done but at the same time none of it has really stood out. But they are very good builders.

Mel and Jermaine are good too and I like that they go so big, but I guess they whole brick sculpture style they use isn't to my personal tastes, so it's probably unfair to discount them for making stuff that isn't my thing. They probably deserve to be in the top contendors as well.

Sam & Jessica did really turn it around and the mermaid was good poo poo. I still don't see them in the top at all though. Flynn & Richard are pretty good, but I dunno their stuff just looks a little sloppy to me. I would not have picked that clock to win. Tbh I didn't even think it was one of the better ones.

The other two just don't really stack up. The father and son are adorable though. And everyone eliminated before that has been no surprise.

Can't believe I'm posting this much about a reality show lol.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Cojawfee posted:

No, that's the two black guys who are brothers. They apparently didn't build with each other until the first episode.

Lol yeah I know Travis & Corey are brothers. I just also thought Christian and Aaron were also brothers for some reason. I guess cuz they look kinda similar. At least if you squint. lol

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Yeah, I said this on the Lego Masters thread also but while Aaron and Christian are clearly super talented builders, they keep ignoring the challenge goals and just build whatever. They seem to have trouble sticking with the theme of the challenge and just do whatever and that always comes around to bite them in the rear end later. In episode 2 they were tasked with building a huge space thing that will look cool when blown up and they built a cool but none the less small thing with lots of negative space that barely came apart. That's going to cost them and will probably be the thing that sends them home IMO.

Also sorry for double posting

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I defended the space station when the episode aired and I stand by it. The challenge was to make something that looks cool blowing up and they built a space station that exploded in a way that made it look like a space station exploding. Everyone else seemed to take the challenge as "make the most lego explode everywhere" including the judges.

You could tell that's what they were going for with how happy they were with the results, while everyone else was like "mehh", but I felt like I totally got their angle and they succeeded. it was just lost on everyone else for some reason.

The mystery romance castle was thematically a whiff though, even if the build was pretty cool and the dragon was top notch.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 4, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So y’all made a thread to discuss the Lego show, and you just continue to discuss it in here?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

I defended the space station when the episode aired and I stand by it. The challenge was to make something that looks cool blowing up and they built a space station that exploded in a way that made it look like a space station exploding. Everyone else seemed to take the challenge as "make the most lego explode everywhere" including the judges.

The thing is, that’s two challenges where you and Aaron and Christian think they did awesome, but the actual people in charge of deciding if they met the challenge said actually no, bros, you didn’t listen to what we said.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

So y’all made a thread to discuss the Lego show, and you just continue to discuss it in here?

Right? Don't get me wrong, I love dunking on Lego Masters but I was hoping all the new posts in this thread meant news.

Lego Masters Thread

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Dots is neat. Wish it could go, like, one notch larger in size. It's like they didn't consider my adult wrist at all when designing this product for children.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did it come with those silver pyramid parts or was that something you already had?

Those dots sets would be super great for greebles, but they are mostly pastel colors and I’m not sure what I’d be able to do with them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

veni veni veni posted:

Did it come with those silver pyramid parts or was that something you already had?

Those dots sets would be super great for greebles, but they are mostly pastel colors and I’m not sure what I’d be able to do with them.

The answer is simple; make pastel colored SHIPs.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

veni veni veni posted:

I bought the pyramids for it. It comes with, you know, bright colorful tiles and stuff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The answer is simple; make pastel colored SHIPs.

I would actually be into that if I actually had any matching parts to go with them. It's hard to make stuff in Lego's more interesting colors without it costing an arm and a leg on bricklink.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Was at walmart today, and saw a couple signs hanging off the Lego shelves advertising a contest.

https://legomasterssweeps.com/

For every $10 you spend on Lego, you get an entry to win one of three prizes:
One Year Supply of Lego sets (actually just $3000 worth)
A trip for 4 to Legoland New York Resort (valued at $3k)
One of 12 "$500 of Lego sets each week" Presumably a gift card, but maybe not?

Of course, it's only good in the US. Sets have to be purchased between Feb 1st and April 30th.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

I would actually be into that if I actually had any matching parts to go with them. It's hard to make stuff in Lego's more interesting colors without it costing an arm and a leg on bricklink.

Pick A Brick sometimes has amazing parts in rare colors. If there's a Lego Store near you it might be worth a look occasionally.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pyroclastic posted:

One Year Supply of Lego sets (actually just $3000 worth)

lmao at your parenthetical

as though three thousand dollars isn't way, way more than a "year's supply" of Lego for anyone who isn't an addict or a billionaire's kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I spent about that much last year but that was just me playing catch up

On track to spend less than $500 this year all in