Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I'll save people the googling time in case you've got folks in the area. Tornado went from just north of the state capitol, through East Nashville, Hermitage, and Mt. Juliet and ended before it got to Lebanon. 40 buildings down, 2 dead, and messed up a bunch of hangers at the smaller airport. West Nashville didn't take any damage, although there were reports of baseball sized hail in Dickson.

(e: 6 total dead from overnight elsewhere in the mid-state)

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
https://twitter.com/SpencerWeather/status/1234738024640065537?s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Dixie alley is no loving joke

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Just want to point out that the only people that got hosed by not having access to robinhood were people who left open short options over the weekend. Leaving options open over the weekend is risky enough. Leaving short options open after president jobs says he’s cutting taxes and the fed is cutting interest rates is really dumb.

A lot of those people’s options are now worthless unless the market nosedives again. The people who lost money, though, were mostly just gambling that the market was going to continue to crash.

Someone holding options as a hedge is also out some amount of the option cost, but these traders are likely not on robinhood and would still hold various short options as a hedge regardless so the loss is minimal.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

Jesus christ let this man go home and have a blankie and some warm milk and pet a good dogge already

https://twitter.com/BethLynch2020/s...ingawful.com%2F

Biden was opposed to integrating public schools in the 1980s, it's absurd he isn't being shouted off every Democratic stage he stands on.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I'll save people the googling time in case you've got folks in the area. Tornado went from just north of the state capitol, through East Nashville, Hermitage, and Mt. Juliet and ended before it got to Lebanon. 40 buildings down, 2 dead, and messed up a bunch of hangers at the smaller airport. West Nashville didn't take any damage, although there were reports of baseball sized hail in Dickson.

(e: 6 total dead from overnight elsewhere in the mid-state)

Thanks for the quick rundown.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Checked in with my friends. They had a tornado touch down two blocks from them but they’re ok with no damage to their home.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It always amazes me how the forces can work in such a way to leave one house nearly untouched, and scour a house down to the foundation a house or two away :smith:

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Called my parents in Antioch and they’re fine. Got some pictures from tune airport (worked there about a decade ago) and it’s just...gone

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Biden was opposed to integrating public schools in the 1980s, it's absurd he isn't being shouted off every Democratic stage he stands on.

So were a lot of the people voting in this Primary. Popular but bad old ideas by their nature necessitate that voters used to share those ideas and changed. The idea that they are legitimate mistakes that can be learned from is a core part of those voters identities/positive sense of self.

But I too can't imagine why writing off people that held bad but formerly mainstream opinions decades ago as irredeemable pieces of poo poo doesn't play with the electorate.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Just went through an emotion rollercoaster. Walking through base to the ship and a cop lights up, and I get excited for a suprise shot of schadenfruede to start the duty day off right, but it turns out he was just lighting up to make a u-turn. I was crushed.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Jarmak posted:

So were a lot of the people voting in this Primary. Popular but bad old ideas by their nature necessitate that voters used to share those ideas and changed. The idea that they are legitimate mistakes that can be learned from is a core part of those voters identities/positive sense of self.

But I too can't imagine why writing off people that held bad but formerly mainstream opinions decades ago as irredeemable pieces of poo poo doesn't play with the electorate.

Except he wasn't opposed to it in the 1950s, he made a public show if it in the 1980s. He was in his 40s and a US Senator, and had grown up through the civil rights era. The only people opposed to school integration in the 1980s were, frankly, racists and Biden had every opportunity to be better by that point.

e: as usual, dril made the point more succinctly

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 3, 2020

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

One of the things I respect the most about Bernie is that he has steadfastly been trying to make the United States communist for as long as he’s been in the public eye.

(I’m kidding about the communism but I do respect that he seems to be playing on the same side of the social justice fence for his entire life)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Why do you think people hate him

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Checked in with my friends. They had a tornado touch down two blocks from them but they’re ok with no damage to their home.
If person-on-the-street interviews in disaster zones has taught me anything, it's because god came down to them specifically and said, "I love humanity so much that I will spare you this horror", then looked at the house next door, let out a barking laugh, and skedaddled back to heaven.

Also: does Nashville not have emergency sirens‽

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I don't recall another instance in my life where tornados hit a loving city. NPR said 19 confirmed killed. :-(

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Some of the arc flashes are wild

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

I'm not really sure what I expected the night time view of Nashville to look like, but it's fancier than I expected.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

bulletsponge13 posted:

I don't recall another instance in my life where tornados hit a loving city. NPR said 19 confirmed killed. :-(

I'm pretty certain it's happened in Tennessee before

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm pretty certain it's happened in Tennessee before

Farm towns and stuff. I’m having trouble recalling a tornado ever ripping through a metro area like that as well though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tornadoes_striking_downtown_areas_of_large_cities#North_America

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/SenTomCotton/status/1234614419331702786

https://twitter.com/SenTomCotton/status/1230216036051570690

:thunk:

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

bulletsponge13 posted:

Moore, OK is (was) considered a sizable city and suburb of OKC with around 100k people and got flattened by a tornado about 20 years ago.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Except he wasn't opposed to it in the 1950s, he made a public show if it in the 1980s. He was in his 40s and a US Senator, and had grown up through the civil rights era. The only people opposed to school integration in the 1980s were, frankly, racists and Biden had every opportunity to be better by that point.

e: as usual, dril made the point more succinctly

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Catch some weird fuckin looks when I justify my decision to vote for Sanders with, "He's a good man." Apparently that's not how this works for a lot of people.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Catch some weird fuckin looks when I justify my decision to vote for Sanders with, "He's a good man." Apparently that's not how this works for a lot of people.

It's not. I know more than one Republican who hates Trump and thinks he's "pretty much just a mobster bully", but will vote for him again because he's on the correct side.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
A daytime tornado went right through downtown Nashville about 20 years ago. 1999 or 2000 or so.

Used to have a boss at a job that rode that tornado out in a parking garage next to a job site. The video was pretty wild.

E: It was 1998

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_outbreak_of_April_15%E2%80%9316,_1998

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

It's not. I know more than one Republican who hates Trump and thinks he's "pretty much just a mobster bully", but will vote for him again because he's on the correct side.

Been asking people to explain to me so that I can explain to my 10 year old daughter why someone would vote for Trump. I've gotten gems like "a 10 year old can't really wrap their head around things like that," which may be true, but she can sure as poo poo wrap her head around why someone wouldn't vote for him, and that should really loving tell you something, imo.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

not caring here posted:

I'm not really sure what I expected the night time view of Nashville to look like, but it's fancier than I expected.

Nashville has come a long way since I moved there 20 years ago. The medical industry has pretty well turned it into a hub and it's basically little California in some parts of the city.

It's a great place for tourist poo poo, I wouldn't suggest living there, but it's definitely a better city than Memphis.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

a better city than Memphis.

:geno:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

it's definitely a better city than Memphis.

Man did you manage to get off the ground when you cleared that high bar?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Memphis sucks. I spent five years there. Never lived in another city that I felt compelled to carry at least a knife everywhere. Never carried a gun there because of the weed habit.

Drugs OR guns in the south. Never both on you or in the same place as you.

I know people who brag about Memphis like it's a wonderful place with no problems and it's just like.... Nope. I've lived a lot of places, I'd rather go back to the army than Memphis.

Only had to slightly raise my heel to clear the Memphis/Nashville comparison. Tennessee cities suck rear end.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 3, 2020

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I know people who brag about Memphis like it's a wonderful place with no problems and it's just like.... Nope. I've lived a lot of places, I'd rather go back to the army than Memphis.

I flew out of Memphis once for work, and of all the places I've traveled through that's the only one I remember hearing gunshots in broad daylight while filling up the rental car outside of the airport.

E: Chattanooga seemed cool but I was only there for a long weekend

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

On the other hand, when Obama was high-centered on marriage equality, Biden gave him a push in the correct direction.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

egyptian rat race posted:

I flew out of Memphis once for work, and of all the places I've traveled through that's the only one I remember hearing gunshots in broad daylight while filling up the rental car outside of the airport.

E: Chattanooga seemed cool but I was only there for a long weekend

Chattanooga is okay but I consider that Georgia because of the proximity to that somehow shittier state.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Chattanooga is lowkey the best TN city.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Weird trend with the South and how awful a lot of it is.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I don't have a stock ticker on my phone for minute by minute updates but apparently hacking a half percent off the interest rate didn't help and poo poo's still in free fall.

Buckle the gently caress up, this ride's just starting.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hail satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

bird food bathtub posted:

I don't have a stock ticker on my phone for minute by minute updates but apparently hacking a half percent off the interest rate didn't help and poo poo's still in free fall.

Buckle the gently caress up, this ride's just starting.

Things started out going down. Fed announced the rate cut and they actually started going down faster lol