Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

henpod posted:

One thing I don't get yet, is how people will move in the VR half life. Obviously you won't have a treadmill, so how would you walk down a corridoor or whatever?

On one of those mine cart things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

henpod posted:

One thing I don't get yet, is how people will move in the VR half life. Obviously you won't have a treadmill, so how would you walk down a corridoor or whatever?

It will support thumbstick movement or teleportation for those who can’t handle the motion sickness. It’s supposed to be accessible to all types of players.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

henpod posted:

This is already very solved in every VR FPS. The primary ways are:

1) Teleport - you push your stick forward and a portal pops out in front of you. You aim it where you want to be and when you release the stick, you appear there. Very good for those who get sick in VR.

2) Smooth Movement - You push the stick in the direction you want to go. Exactly like you would in a 2D FPS. It’s more realistic feeling, but it can make some people sick. There are ways around that like vignetting the screen that help with motion sickness

3) - Less common things like armswinger mode, where you swing your arms like you are walking, and the game translates those motions to movement. You turn in real life to turn in the game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

henpod posted:

Like most first person VR titles, you'll likely choose between teleportation and/or regular left stick movement where the left stick of your Oculus Touch/Index moves your character while your head is basically mouse-look and your hands are hands in the world. That's how I play it in No Man's Sky and Minecraft and it works pretty good.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

henpod posted:

Pushing the left thumbstick forward while sitting on a couch like God intended :colbert:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
You spend the whole time in HL:Alyx travelling on a little train as a homage to everyones favourite part of HL "on a rail"

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Pushing the left thumbstick forward while sitting in a gaming chair like God intended :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao if you didn't grab every boneworks enemy by the face and kill them by smashing your gun into it while standing like a real man/woman

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Finally made it through Xen in Black Mesa, drat was it amazing. I agree with the previous posters who said the pacing dragged but it’s not a bad thing, just repetitive. There were way too many “hub” segments were you had to go down 3-4 branching paths to flip a switch in order to proceed. Too many “rooms” were you had to play “find the electrical plug”. I swear I must’ve connected 30-40 plugs before the end. I don’t want this to come off as major criticism because I was having a blast the whole time, but it did get a bit old.

Graphics were astounding for being a Source game, holy poo poo well done! Music was amazing and got me so hype when it kicked in, still can’t believe it’s not a AAA studio...

Highlights for me were the Gonarch fight even though there were one too many chase sequences. I loved the multi Gargantuan chase sequence as well where you think you’ve outrun one only to have another crash on through. There was a factory sequence where you’re riding a crate and you get “detected” and it pulls you into a side room where you have to act quick and jump around dodging lasers, my rear end was clenched the whole time! Any sequence with the infinite gluon gun owned, but I especially loved the final elevator with all the different fights against the brains. And the Nilihanth boss was so drat epic and amazingly well done. Best of all, they got rid of his loving portal attack from the first game that takes you out of the fight, NOBODY liked that poo poo!

Still can’t believe they got it done, hope they’re working on something new!

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
There needs to be a segment where you hitch a ride on top of D0G

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
how has this not been posted yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTLotwKpLgk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFjtVmka54E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qspam8ftpIc

the rayman hands remind of turning up my fov real high for tf2 but otherwise looks fairly cool

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 3, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

how has this not been posted yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTLotwKpLgk

the rayman hands remind of turning up my fov real high for tf2 but otherwise looks fairly cool

That is really cool. Somehow most of the VR wonkiness looks like it works well in a serious setting.

Except for the teleport movement, I don't think I'll ever like that and I'm glad it's not the only option.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Does Alyx have a new VA? It sounds nothing like what I remember Alyx sounding like.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Yeah, it's Ozioma Akagha
https://www.pcgamer.com/au/half-life-alyx-cast/

A little off-topic but the person Harry101UK got for his latest video does a pretty good Alyx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8h4u4eK9aw

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer
BBC got a go:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-51709250/half-life-alyx-hands-on-with-valve-s-virtual-reality-game-changer

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Has there been any confirmation on how headcrabs will work? I'm really worried that they will latch onto the face, as is their wont, instead of just doing a fly-by scratch like in the games before. I'm glad that they operated like that back in the day, otherwise I would've missed out on playing it, as I've quit games like Alien Isolation when facehuggers came into play, despite loving it greatly till then. The only instance of headcrabs I've seen in the footage is either cinematic or it cuts out right before it leaps. If they do latch on...that's gonna be rough.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Alyx looks super cool, but my one turbo nitpick is the god awful weapon sound effects, which seems on brand for Valve since Half-Life 2. That pistol reload sound :barf: Why and for what reason.

Hard hat barnacle deterrent made me laugh.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I absolutely better be able to rip off a facehugger head crab with my bare hands or what’s the point of the game???

:colbert:

Hell, I better be able to pick up a live headcrab and throw it at a combine’s face as a weapon!

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 3, 2020

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

FutureCop posted:

Has there been any confirmation on how headcrabs will work? I'm really worried that they will latch onto the face, as is their wont, instead of just doing a fly-by scratch like in the games before. I'm glad that they operated like that back in the day, otherwise I would've missed out on playing it, as I've quit games like Alien Isolation when facehuggers came into play, despite loving it greatly till then. The only instance of headcrabs I've seen in the footage is either cinematic or it cuts out right before it leaps. If they do latch on...that's gonna be rough.

You're definitely getting headcrab gooch directly to the face.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
This poo poo is unreal

I don’t think I’ve seen anything this revolutionary since WOW or Warcraft 2

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

So when are we getting the Quest link cable? I'm not gonna be able to play this until that finally ships

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My concern is the speed of combat, considering how fast and frantic HL1 and 2 combat got to be. I really hope that they show off some of the free movement rather than the teleport or snap-to movement because I want to see just how much mobility you actually have. If it ends up being a limited path like a rail shooter that's a letdown.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Combat is slowed down by necessity.

If you’ve played a game like Boneworks you know that it has to go slower because you can make mistakes that you never could in HL2.

In VR, you can mess up reloading your weapon, drop your clip, drop your gun, forget to cock it, etc. That never happens in HL2, your reloads are perfect every time and they take a split second.

Switching weapons in HL2 is also a nearly instantaneous thing, whereas in VR you generally have to put your current weapon away or drop it, and take a new one out of a bag, or off your body somewhere because you are limited by two hands. This takes time, and again, can be messed up by you.

If the game moved like HL2, it would be nearly impossible to survive. I think you’ll find when a zombie is up in your face and you’re fumbling to get a clip in a pistol and cock it, it’s much more exciting than HL2 was despite being slower

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

My concern is the speed of combat, considering how fast and frantic HL1 and 2 combat got to be. I really hope that they show off some of the free movement rather than the teleport or snap-to movement because I want to see just how much mobility you actually have. If it ends up being a limited path like a rail shooter that's a letdown.

If you watch the 9 minute IGN gameplay clip, they switch to free movement around 6 minutes in.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

So when are we getting the Quest link cable? I'm not gonna be able to play this until that finally ships

It's already out, you can either get the $80 official one or a cheaper generic USB 3 a to c cable

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

oswald ownenstein posted:

This poo poo is unreal

I don’t think I’ve seen anything this revolutionary since WOW or Warcraft 2

I'm genuinely curious what is so revolutionary about this? The item interaction stuff looks pretty neat, but also a whole lot like a polished Skyrim and some pretty standard standard VR stuff done well.

But I admit that I'm not up on actually playing VR, just watching video of people playing VR and having it screw up on the regular.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

This game will be the first VR experience for a lot of people and therefore extremely revolutionary having never played any VR games previously.

Then they’ll get Beat Saber and realize what the true revolutionary game is.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I'm genuinely curious what is so revolutionary about this? The item interaction stuff looks pretty neat, but also a whole lot like a polished Skyrim and some pretty standard standard VR stuff done well.

But I admit that I'm not up on actually playing VR, just watching video of people playing VR and having it screw up on the regular.

The individual parts of the original Half Life aren't that revolutionary, more how it combined existing game mechanics and ideas in a seamless, high quality way to create an immersive, yet cinematic narrative.

SkyrimVR is jank as gently caress and only a small amount of the game mechanics were adapted for VR. You can fix that with mods, but that makes the game even more jank.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The impressive part is seeing how good everything looks and how everything can be interacted with

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
"Refinement" can be seen as innovation in this case.

There are other cool and good games in the VR space (like Boneworks) but there hasn't been a true long form single player VR game that's really hit hard. Valve cracking out Half-Life, of all things, is a huge deal just as an idea.
Nothing yet has had this size, scope, and detication to VR like Alyx that's been really good. Don't know if Valve will actually deliver, but it's really easy to see why people are excited.

I want to see the refinement more than anything.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Lemming posted:

It's already out, you can either get the $80 official one or a cheaper generic USB 3 a to c cable

Ah. Their site is saying it’s unavailable in my country- which is the US. This may be due to the virus :/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

gently caress SNEEP posted:

You're definitely getting headcrab gooch directly to the face.

Pro-tier opportunity for anyone who bought a stuffed headcrab at some point over the last 15 years and has just been waiting for a good reason to throw it at their friends

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ugh it looks really loving good. I hope I can spring for a new PC and headset at least within the next year.

I'm sure it's less weird in-game but the jump-forward to move mechanic was really disorienting. It just sort of pings you from frame to frame without any transition at all. At least in video it looks like I'd spent a couple of seconds working out where I am every time I do it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm not into VR but I think that the teleport is instant because it reduces nausea. Or rather that the simulation of movement would trigger nausea in some people so by teleporting with no transition frames you avoid that trigger. I imagine that if your stomach can handle it then the free movement option will be much more immersive.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Teleporting is also one of those gaming things that's a lot easier to keep up with in person rather than watching a video. I can handle it in game (even if I don't prefer it) but I don't know how anyone is supposed to watch more than a minute or two of it secondhand.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Teleporting is also one of those gaming things that's a lot easier to keep up with in person rather than watching a video. I can handle it in game (even if I don't prefer it) but I don't know how anyone is supposed to watch more than a minute or two of it secondhand.

Yeah I think that's it. The only time I've ever played a VR game where I moved with the thumbstick I nearly fell over and threw up after five seconds. So this option will probably be the one for me, it just looks super weird in video.

e: Actually I just watched the third video, which uses a nice little spring forward animation instead and looks a lot smoother.

stev fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 3, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Ah. Their site is saying it’s unavailable in my country- which is the US. This may be due to the virus :/

Combine
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E9W8KYC
and
https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Extension-Extender-Booster-Compatible/dp/B0179MXKU8

You now have an "Oculus Link".

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 3, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Teleport movement is how you start playing VR. Some people stick with it, others jump to smooth movement which is where you move via thumbstick but look around with your head. It's weird at first and fan absolutely cause nausea, but it turns out that lots of people can adapt.

I use smooth motion in everything, it's the most ~immersive~

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I had to train myself to get used to stick, it was mostly playing lots of Pavlov that did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The first VR game I ever played was Boneworks and hoo boy that was a trial by fire. I drat near fell over the first time I started walking ingame, it's an extremely weird sensation before you get used to it. Luckily I'm not prone to motion sickness so once I got used to it I could play just fine.