Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Ironic take; given the relatively low lethality of this virus (compared to SARs) and the fact that a lot of people who get it don't even exhibit symptoms, the Trump administration's "ignore it and it won't be a problem" attitude might actually be correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

UnknownTarget posted:

Anything happening? Seems like we're in a big lull now.

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1234822447947558915

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

UnknownTarget posted:

Ironic take; given the relatively low lethality of this virus (compared to SARs) and the fact that a lot of people who get it don't even exhibit symptoms, the Trump administration's "ignore it and it won't be a problem" attitude might actually be correct.

Ignoring it more easily leads to a situation where health resources are strained too much, even when the virus isn't that lethal. A certain percentage will need intensive care.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

CPA Hell posted:

Looks like someone is on a god appointed mission to start the revelation.

Pence or Trump?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

UnknownTarget posted:

it's basically a round of russian roulette for anyone over 75

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I don't think Pence itself will be infected but somebody will be infected sooner or later.

Because theres probably a lot of smart people in the white house, they will probably have a cache of test, and use them. And scan people for the symptoms.
People talk about asymptomatic spreaders, but I think if you don't have the symptoms, you are probably a ineffective spreader.

People on the whitehouse can get infected, but much later when the infection become more prominent, not just in the beginning.

Tei fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 3, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Tei posted:

Because theres probably a lot of smart people in the white house,

:thunk:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

bob dobbs is dead posted:

And you don't die right away, you lie on a bed for 3 weeks and breath harder and harder and harder until you can not breath no more.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea9sYVGJy3s

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Uh...who is this guy and why should I watch him talk into the camera for any amount of time?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

He's a journalist who uses his southern accent to talk some sense into rednecks.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Wonder if any of the people who flipped out to chinese adjustments will have a breakdown over this too.

https://twitter.com/CherylRofer/status/1234469759124566017

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

UnknownTarget posted:

He's going to blame losing the election to MAGA virus and its going to be great because there's so many tweets and sound bytes of him saying it doesn't matter.

That or he uses the situation to take absolute power as emperor of north america which has its own entertainment value.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

So is everything.

Eating bacon is a round of russian roulette for over 75's. Going to the dentist is a round of russian roulette for olds. Blinking faster than normal is russian roulette for the aged.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

He's going to blame losing the election to MAGA virus and its going to be great because there's so many tweets and sound bytes of him saying it doesn't matter.

That or he uses the situation to take absolute power as emperor of north america which has its own entertainment value.

After all you have seen you still think Trump won't be reelected? You sweet summer child.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Hopper posted:

After all you have seen you still think Trump won't be reelected? You sweet summer child.

Waiting on the MAGA virus. That's the wild card.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tei posted:

Because theres probably a lot of smart people in the white house, they will probably have a cache of test, and use them. [citation needed]

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/trump-defends-cuts-cdc-budget-federal-government-hire-doctors-coronavirus-2020-2-1028946602

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Fartbox posted:

Isn't it good that we're culling all the old?

The old will die and the young will rule

It also has much high death rates among those with heart issues, lung issues, immune system issues, diabetes, and high blood pressure.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My mom's 88 and living in a dementia facility. :( :( For the love of God, no jokes.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

golden bubble posted:

It also has much high death rates among those with heart issues, lung issues, immune system issues, diabetes, and high blood pressure.

Darwin was right.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My mom's 88 and living in a dementia facility. :( :( For the love of God, no jokes.

My grandmother is around that old and definitely that senile. She lost her marbles well over a decade ago, can't keep a train of thought more than 30sec.

Honestly, it'd be merciful if she just went in her sleep sometime in the next few weeks, but she's a fighter like her own mother, who died at like 96, couldn't recognize anyone, was literally capable of going through the motions only with two people helping.

So yeah, I'd miss my grandmother, but her mind checked out so long ago that she's only going through the motions now. Her, and her mother, are good examples of why I never want to live that long. Just going to smoke my way to an early grave. Seems more tolerable an idea than freaking out every 30 seconds about where I am and why I'm sitting in a full diaper.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

golden bubble posted:

The last two are probably going to kill me anyways, might as well die from the meme virus

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Smoking yourself to death is not a quick, painless, or dignified death either

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Going through a fully functional same age grandpa who is going out of the country next week, planning on going to yet another country in April too and still planning to go on his cruise in June that's going all over the place. I'm the only one in the family that thinks he'll stand greater than a 50% chance of catching and dying from this during these combined trips. So now I have to sit back and watch this happen and hope he doesn't get exposed. He's in every single risk group, COPD? Check, Diabetes check, high blood pressure? Yup.

I'd say your mom is safer than my grandpa.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

poverty goat posted:

Who said I was going for dignity, speed or relative pain?

The high end of my bar is 70. I get there, I might as well start deciding what cliff to jump off.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

poverty goat posted:

Once you get in the thing, close the door, and let the scents of the gently smoldering applewood chips take you away, it can be quite a pleasant way to go.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Who said I was going for dignity, speed or relative pain?

The high end of my bar is 70. I get there, I might as well start deciding what cliff to jump off.
Midsommar fan I see.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

numberoneposter posted:

Midsommar fan I see.

Haven't seen it. I keep passing by it on hulu or prime and think, "I'll watch that eventually" but haven't gotten around to it.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I've got a flight booked to London and Paris in June. Really banking on this whole "coronavirus" thing blowing over within the next couple months

hahahahah you are hosed. it will be fine in a year or more. but yeah, June is still going to be hosed.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My mom is still quite functional: can hold conversations, has strong opinions, is currently manning the switchboard for the dementia ward part of the day. She just has hallucinations :( and can't remember stuff. She hates it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Hallucinations are probably the worst thing to hear about. Last time I saw my grandmother she was talking about seeing the boys (her three sons) playing in the yard outside the kitchen window. In reality, she was looking out the window of the dementia home, but in fairness, it's all corn and beans outside both windows.

I slipped out of recognition a few years back. She spent a good five years raising me, so it's a little disheartening, but I know it's just the disease eating away. loving shame.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
My grandmother lived for over a decade after a stroke that wiped out her short-term memory. So you would go to visit and the whole time she would talk about how sad she was that you had to leave so soon. Over and over and over. Then when you left all she would talk about to the caregivers was how sad she was that nobody came to visit.

So my dad just told me to kill him if that ever happened to him.

Uh, anyways....

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

poverty goat posted:

Cancer or carbon monoxide?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/owillis/status/1234607697540063234

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
how can they say it won't work when they haven't even tried it! just put some nCov in the vaccine and shake it up, for godssakes

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

So is everything.

Eating bacon is a round of russian roulette for over 75's. Going to the dentist is a round of russian roulette for olds. Blinking faster than normal is russian roulette for the aged.

If I understood the statistics correctly at 75 you have a 5% chance of dying.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/older-american-health.htm

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

month three or four of the pandemic and the president is having the basics of flu != cold explained to him

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
My grandma is 103. She survived having the Spanish Flu in 1918, even when two of her siblings didn't. Her mind is going, but she's in excellent physical health for someone that insanely old. She could totally fight of the coronavirus.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

From the Guardian's rolling coronavirus story

quote:

A British guest is the latest person to be diagnosed with coronavirus at a Tenerife hotel. The H10 Costa Adeje Palace hotel has been under lockdown due to an outbreak of the virus.

The Briton, who tested positive for the virus on Monday evening, had not been isolated in their room as they had not presented any symptoms, the authorities said.

“The epidemiology team is studying the contacts this person had,” a spokeswoman for the local health services said.

Guests without symptoms have been allowed to circulate around the hotel, making use of facilities like pools and shared dining areas, as long as they wear a mask, wash their hands frequently and submit to regular temperature checks.

Other cases diagnosed over the past week at the hotel had been among a group of 10 Italian holidaymakers. In total, around 150 people have been diagnosed with coronavirus in Spain.

Authorities are monitoring two clusters in Torrejón de Ardoz, a suburban city close to Madrid with a population of around 130,000, and one in the Basque city of Vitoria-Gasteiz.

Around 100 health workers in the Basque country have been isolated in their homes after coming into contact with people infected with the virus, local health authorities said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Guests without symptoms have been allowed to circulate around the hotel, making use of facilities like pools and shared dining areas, as long as they wear a mask, wash their hands frequently and submit to regular temperature checks.

They’re on holiday, gotta get a little relaxation in somehow!