Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

So I bought the G502 Lightspeed, coming off of a G600. And... it's bad?

Maybe I'm used to having the number pad on my mouse all these years but I feel so incredibly limited with my button choices on this switch. Being wireless is nice but that's the only good thing I can say about it.

My kingdom for a wireless mouse that has a number pad on it that isn't the Naga Epic Chroma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

dreffen posted:

So I bought the G502 Lightspeed, coming off of a G600. And... it's bad?

Maybe I'm used to having the number pad on my mouse all these years but I feel so incredibly limited with my button choices on this switch. Being wireless is nice but that's the only good thing I can say about it.

My kingdom for a wireless mouse that has a number pad on it that isn't the Naga Epic Chroma.

The G604 has six buttons on the side.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Audax posted:

I have a Logitech M570 plugged in sharing a receiver with my Logitech K400 (super lovely touchpad) and it works great. I've used it on a Windows PC, Ubuntu HTPC, and sometimes with my Steam link.

Welp, this is now my setup too. The trackball is taking some getting used to but I have to say I'm liking it.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Humerus posted:

The G604 has six buttons on the side.

That might be my next purchase. I really just want a drat number pad on the side of a mouse to be wireless but that may be as close as I'll get these days.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
Is there a decent breakdown of the various G502's?

I'm not even sure what G502 I have. The Logitech software doesn't tell me.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I got my Roccat Kone Pure Ultra and I really like it. The shape, weight and buttons are all perfect. The finish is a bit weird, it looks matte but feels a bit glossy? I don't know, it's strange. I think I'll get used to it, though.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I love my G502 Lightspeed, which I moved to from a G502 Scroteus, which I moved to from several MX518s.

But I would definitely make use of couple more buttons, not gonna lie.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 18, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My Logitech Performance MX gives a flashing red light when I try to use it without it being plugged in. I suspect the rechargeable AA in it is kaput. Can I replace it with just any rechargeable AA off Amazon?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My Logitech Performance MX gives a flashing red light when I try to use it without it being plugged in. I suspect the rechargeable AA in it is kaput. Can I replace it with just any rechargeable AA off Amazon?

Yeah, although according to the amazon questions it's meant to only use nickel metal hydride batteries (NiMH):
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=nimh+aa+rechargeable+batteries

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If you did not grab the G502 Special Edition at $35 last week, it, along with a great number of other Logitech products, are currently marked down even more. Said G502 SE is now going for $29.50.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If you did not grab the G502 Special Edition at $35 last week, it, along with a great number of other Logitech products, are currently marked down even more. Said G502 SE is now going for $29.50.
Just grabbed this for $35, thanks for the heads up. Was going to eventually switch to a SteelSeries Rival 600 (from an earlier Rival model) but for that low price, great reviews, and similar mouse shape, I'm willing to try out Logitech.

And if I hate it, it can always be used as a backup.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
G502 gets hated on a lot by mouse nerds but I reckon it's pretty solid. Great build quality, great sensor (all decent-brand gaming mice have good sensors nowadays so that may not mean much anymore but for a lot of the G502's history it did), decent button functionality and software. I love the ergo shape. It's a pity its flaws - weight and size - are just a bit too serious to use it for gaming. If Logitech came out with one that was at about 80% of the scale of the current one and was 90g or less I'd have to get one and it'd inevitably lead to a long hard think about whether to switch or stick with my Kone Pure Ultra.

I suspect why a lot of the nerds dislike it is an overreaction to its popularity, which to be fair is a bit disproportionate to its (real but not overwhelming) virtues.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I'm throwing my m65 elite in the figurative trash. The gap between the right side and the top makes it unusable for me, and there's a weird bulge on the right side that hurts my ring finger over long periods of use. It's also not tall enough, it's the same height as a g203 despite being larger. Wish it were 42mm-45mm, not made of metal, had no sniper button, had no gap on the right side, had no bulge on the right side. I guess I wish it were a different mouse in many ways. It's as good as the logitech mice in other ways. Also seems well made except for the feet, but stock feet always grind hard on hard pads (even logitech's).

Ordered a g703, hoping for the best. This is my favorite mouse shell of all-time (122.55 x 71.75 x 45.25mm). g703 is kinda like it.

Neurosis posted:

I suspect why a lot of the nerds dislike it is an overreaction to its popularity, which to be fair is a bit disproportionate to its (real but not overwhelming) virtues.
The gap-wing thing on the left side is annoying to a small number of people, it's 121g which is heavy, and the aesthetic is hit or miss. Lots of people also apparently have smaller hands judging by current mouse trends. None of those are a big deal, and it's a good mouse.

At this point, most mice are good enough that it comes down to how you hold the mouse, hand size, and personal preference.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 21, 2020

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Second Basilisk Ultimate and am already having the same issues and 1 new one, some times when I reboot it just doesn't work until I replug it. I'm really trying to give Razer a chance here but I'm thinking I'm just gonna go back to Logi and get the g502 Lightspeed, it is inevitable.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I've had nothing but bad luck with Razer products maybe 10/100. I had one mouse maybe ten years ago that was awesome but since then it's been downhill.

I've had mixed results with Logitech, probably a 75 / 100 on satisfaction. I had an issue with maybe one peripheral out of six?

Corsair has been about 30/100 for me. I had one peripheral I really liked that lasted a while, but went through seven headsets due to volume issues (volume at one percent was no sound, two percent was deafening)

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Same, I once returned the original deathadder 3 times before giving up and buying an mx518 because the mousewheel kept screwing up, and one of them just bricked from firmware updating. I decided to give them another chance because they seem to be the only ones doing anything about solving the Omron switch double click issue.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
so uh my g703 lightspeed skips now and then and I think it's due to lift off distance because it happens at a similar spot in mouse movement but at any place on most pads. I don't see a way to adjust lod or "surface" in ghub. If I press down on the mouse really hard while moving it it never skips.

I also like to play with hard pads but it doesn't track at all with lexip skates on it because they're 1.2mm. I'm not about to take a dremel to the mouse to get them to work yet. The stock skates grinded like crazy on my hard pad. It also sucks using teflon skates on hard pads because they chew through them and then you gotta replace them which is annoying and expensive.

Why do mice always have some critical flaw? Apparently the older g703 can adjust lod and workd fine with them. The 16k hero ones can't. I was especially hyped because they would add some height to the mouse.

While I'm firing shots at the 703, I wish it were ~3mm taller and didn't go in as far at the middle of the right side. The scroll wheel also seems worse out of the box than the g203's. I've never noticed a scroll wheel on a mouse before to illustrate how out of place it seems.

It's otherwise the best mouse I've used so far out of modern mice. Really hard to find light, short, wide, high mice in 2020. The wireless is also flawless and performance 100% matches wired g203 which exceeds most other mice. Battery life is nuts with leds off and the wire+receiver combo to recharge it are genius.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 26, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Because otherwise you'd never buy another one, and they can't make money if you never buy another mouse.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Because otherwise you'd never buy another one, and they can't make money if you never buy another mouse.
I already have a switch maintenance regime and have soldered new switches and cables onto mice. I don't like rebuying mice.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 26, 2020

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

They don't make money if you stop buying their brand cause their mice keep breaking, either.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Elman posted:

They don't make money if you stop buying their brand cause their mice keep breaking, either.

Probably made 2-3x more than if you only bought one.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Elman posted:

I am not so sure about that, Eastpak still going strong while I am using the same loving backpack for like 15 years

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Elman posted:

I've had no hardware issues with the g703. If I have scroll wheel trouble I'll probably follow the guide that has a simple fix for it. Although I'd consider trying an RMA first because the mouse costs an arm and a leg.

My g203 has lasted almost a year without any issues as well and I picked it up for $20 or something on sale. Admittedly, no modern mouse has compared to the mx518 in durability. I still have a launch version that works flawlessly. I bet it has in excess of 30k-40k hours of use. My og xornet is still going strong too. I still use it as a work laptop mouse. I think I got lucky with the 518 because the 510 had the cable go.

Nearly all modern mice use the same switches so click issues are inevitable.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 27, 2020

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I'm done with buying razer products. My Tiamat 7.1v2 is now giving feedback in discord, my deathadder chroma is randomly just turning off in the middle of games, and the razer golaith has random spots of the rgb are going out...

With that said, what is a good replacement for the deathadder chroma? Looking for a wired mouse, really just need 2 side buttons on the left. Is the steelseries 600?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
It is my experience that Steelseries and Razor's QC and build quality is roughly equivalent. Take that as you will.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

fyallm posted:

I'm done with buying razer products. My Tiamat 7.1v2 is now giving feedback in discord, my deathadder chroma is randomly just turning off in the middle of games, and the razer golaith has random spots of the rgb are going out...

With that said, what is a good replacement for the deathadder chroma? Looking for a wired mouse, really just need 2 side buttons on the left. Is the steelseries 600?

What about a GWolves Skol? It's like 65 grams, honeycombed, has two side buttons, and feels almost exactly like the old grey intellimouse.

Build quality is legit, no flex on the shell.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Has anyone tried the Intellimouse Pro (lol at that naming trend). Seems like it might be a nifty upgrade to my battered G400s.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Well when I started my computer today the GHub tutorial ran as though I've never used it before and then my G502 lightspeed was set to factory default DPI/Lighting/Profiles. I had around a dozen custom profiles for games, macros for my desktop use, my DPI settings...all gone to the wind. I found the "backup" file but it was also just the default settings. So that's cool and good and definitely how I wanted to spend my evening.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Nobody ever speaks about Zowie mice, they're solid imo.

eames
May 9, 2009

Klaaz posted:

Nobody ever speaks about Zowie mice, they're solid imo.

Because they just work, mine is the best mouse I’ve ever bought. No drivers, no software, no fancy features, no problems.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I had a zowie mouse break on me in less than a year and they didn't honor the warranty.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It is my experience that Steelseries and Razor's QC and build quality is roughly equivalent. Take that as you will.

My only experience with steelseries is an arctis wireless headset that kept disconnecting with a full battery and a clear connection to the receiver 10 inches away.
I did 2 RMA's before they admitted privately it was a known firmware issue that would not be fixed until the next generation. I settled on a refund and they told me to keep the headset. I was able to update the firmware over a year later and now they work fine as a backup.

The device itself was nice when it worked and the RMA process was straightforward and easy.

I feel that Logitech is the best at RMA's and its why im going to go with them in the future as long as they have a competitive product. They dont really argue. You just show them proof its broken and they generally send a new one immediately.

Zowie was the best before everyone stepped their game up, now they are just okay

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 4, 2020

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
If you like keeping a second mouse plugged in because the scroll wheel on your zowie sucks poo poo and you use your computer for browsing then yeah go zowie

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Audax posted:

If you like keeping a second mouse plugged in because the scroll wheel on your zowie sucks poo poo and you use your computer for browsing then yeah go zowie
This is a problem with the Rivals too. SteelSeries is great otherwise but the mousewheels crap out after a year and it sucks.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

Just grabbed this for $35, thanks for the heads up. Was going to eventually switch to a SteelSeries Rival 600 (from an earlier Rival model) but for that low price, great reviews, and similar mouse shape, I'm willing to try out Logitech.

And if I hate it, it can always be used as a backup.
TRIP REPORT: I hate it. Main mouse buttons are too trigger-happy, extra buttons are in weird unnatural spots and shaped angular/uncomfortable to click and the absolute worst problem is that mousewheel is the clunkiest I've ever used and extremely uncomfortable to scroll to the point that you want to actively avoid it. It's like scraping your finger against a ridged metal tire.

EDIT: Just ordered another Rival 310, I can't stand this thing. Had a bad feeling about the LG Hero but at least their trackball/lightweight wireless keyboard is great for my casual HTPC setup.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 5, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Humerus posted:

Well when I started my computer today the GHub tutorial ran as though I've never used it before and then my G502 lightspeed was set to factory default DPI/Lighting/Profiles. I had around a dozen custom profiles for games, macros for my desktop use, my DPI settings...all gone to the wind. I found the "backup" file but it was also just the default settings. So that's cool and good and definitely how I wanted to spend my evening.

I've had ghub just uninstall itself randomly, and on 2 of those occasions has different results.

One time I restarted and it was back again.

Another time it never came back so I had to reinstall.

In conclusion, ghub is not a land of contrasts but a piece of poo poo

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Opinions on the G604? I use a wired pre-RGB G502 at home and an MX Anywhere 2S at work because I'm embarrassed to bring a Space Mouse to work.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Steelseries' customer support is compent and awesome. I asked them what would be the best way to route my paracord mod on my Rival 310 and they sent me a drawing and everything, also commenting on the new mouse feet i was using too as nice.

Razer is a a poo poo show. I spent the last 3 days auguring with their Customer Support that the mouse pad I ordered was missing a commercial invoice to be shipped into Canada and being held by FedEx. They kept telling me that it was coming from Hong Kong and there was a customs delay but would make it to the East Coast of Canada by Wednesday. The point of origin was California and it stayed in California for the whole time until FedEx refused it due the improper shipping invoices. All they did was say "We are sorry" and offered a refund and 15% off my next order.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Razer is a a poo poo show.

I mean, just in general, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ynglaur posted:

Opinions on the G604?

Somewhere between :discourse: :discourse: :discourse: and :gizz: :gizz: :gizz: The mouse itself is perfect and everything I've wanted since the G700.

I suppose the new G mouse software needs a lot of work because there it makes some tasks unnecessarily clunky, but I'm a huge nerd so I just edited the .json settings files directly when I needed to. And the macro recorder is pretty good.