Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Zereth posted:

I played some of the first Eschalon game but all i remember was that it was real slow. I mean, like, just moving around and stuff, not talking about the plot or anything.
Yeah, that's a common reaction and actually one of the most common criticisms that the Eschalon series got. Everything just took for-loving-ever to do. Anyway, Balrum plays the same in a lot of ways - quasi-turn based gameplay in isometric 2D, grid-based, exploring a world and dungeons while talking to the occasional NPC and solving quests. It's very basic and old school. Not necessarily in a bad way, but if you've ever played a game like that at all, you basically know what you're getting into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, that's a common reaction and actually one of the most common criticisms that the Eschalon series got. Everything just took for-loving-ever to do. Anyway, Balrum plays the same in a lot of ways - quasi-turn based gameplay in isometric 2D, grid-based, exploring a world and dungeons while talking to the occasional NPC and solving quests. It's very basic and old school. Not necessarily in a bad way, but if you've ever played a game like that at all, you basically know what you're getting into.
But is Balrum also real slow?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Zereth posted:

But is Balrum also real slow?
Very. The walk speed is pretty much the same and I haven't found any way to run yet.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Balrum is nice, but I believe it could be 70% longer. All skills end in lv 3 and everything designs within these capacity.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Holy poo poo that Suicide game

Though relatedly I'm reading a Hemingway novel about a 50 year old colonel and a 19 year old countessa

He calls her "Daughter"

Please stop Ernest

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah it's a shame they're disappearing up Destiny's rear end in a top hat. Especially when it comes to things that Bungie is absolutely awful at, like player movement and most of the gun feel.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Kennel posted:

Everyone, remember to check out Yoku's Island Express.
(because it's on gamepass)
This is from pages back, but I had a lovely few hours with it. Super cute game, my only niggle was the bouncing physics on the flippers not being realistic. Everyone should give it a try.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Halo 1 Anniversary suddenly dropped for the PC version of the Master Chief Collection today, I knew testing was finishing but I didn't expect them to just drop it without announcing a date or something.

Haven't played it yet, so no idea if it's launching in a better condition than Reach.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Have they fixed the audio in reach?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

According to this Development Update from the end of January they are "working on it," but the problem hasn't been solved yet.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
There is a VN sale going on.

Baldr Sky, Aokana, The House in Fata Morgana are all games with more recent localizations that are highly worth checking out if you can deal with the weeb factor. The discounts aren't too hefty, though.

Then you have large collections of well-established VNs like Umineko, Higurashi, Steins Gate, and Zero Escape which have fairly large discounts.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Both the Ace Attorney and Zero Escape games are a great pick for mystery games, even though the biggest puzzle in ZE tends to be what kind of situation you even are in.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007
In the interest of accuracy, in that Suicide of Rachel Foster tweet, the character (Irving) that the streamer jokes about is not the gross 50 year old guy who was grooming the title character, but the FEMA agent who is communicating with the character you play as. I don't know what the joke is referring to, as there seems to be some late twist in the story involving this character and I haven't played it myself, but it seems like it is not as tasteless a joke (or dev response) as it initially seems. Still seems like a lazy and tasteless joke, but not as extreme as it would be if it was actually referring to the main character's gross pedo dad.

Perpetual fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 3, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm gonna say maybe don't apologize even laterally for the dude who wrote the story of that game, such as it is.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

Orv posted:

I'm gonna say maybe don't apologize even laterally for the dude who wrote the story of that game, such as it is.

I consider accuracy in online pillorying important, but eh you're probably right. Honestly even if I hadn't incorrectly assumed the character the tweet was talking about was the old pedo guy, it's still pretty gross, and only seemed less so in in comparison. On reflection, I shouldn't have bothered posting. Oh well :shrug:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I'm aware this is an extreme longshot, but is there a way to transfer my save for Yakuza 0 from PS4 to PC?

I wouldn't have gotten it at all, but the pack is on sale on steam and it was like $2.60 more to get it than to get Kiwami and Kiwami 2 without 0.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Samuringa posted:

Both the Ace Attorney and Zero Escape games are a great pick for mystery games, even though the biggest puzzle in ZE tends to be what kind of situation you even are in.
I personally wouldn't recommend going past the first Zero Escape game. They kinda keep getting progressively more batshit in what I thought was a bad way.

The Ace Attorney games are all great and very charming, though. Definite recommendation.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

allow me to re-re-re-re-recommend AI: The Somnium Files and 428 Shibuya Scramble

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Cardiovorax posted:

I personally wouldn't recommend going past the first Zero Escape game. They kinda keep getting progressively more batshit in what I thought was a bad way.

The Ace Attorney games are all great and very charming, though. Definite recommendation.

Counterpoint: They get more batshit in an amazing way.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I didn't mind VLR's escalation as much as the last 1/4th of the game or so going full midquel whose only purpose was to retrofit everything that happened so far to set up Zero Time Dilemma. Even then, it was a fine game overall.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Hwurmp posted:

allow me to re-re-re-re-recommend AI: The Somnium Files and 428 Shibuya Scramble

AI: Somnium Files is on sale for half off right now.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

sebmojo posted:

Have they fixed the audio in reach?

For a bit more in depth discussion, I found this in a PC Gamer article about crouching issues in Halo: Reach vs Halo

quote:

In converting sounds engineered for the Xbox 360, which has a very different architecture than a PC, the audio mix didn't come out true to the original.
As for Reach's sound fix: it's coming, too, but it's a lot more work. "It's caused us to go back and say, 'Hey, we should just take a look at the audio for all titles," Fahrny said in February. "Reach's [digital signal processors] for whatever reason were not great, so let's go back to a partner that has the sources for these, rebuild them for modern platforms, while we have an actual audio engineer go back through and make sure everything is balanced and leveled properly. That takes a long time."

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is the Borderlands Lilith DLC that bridges the gap between 2 and 3 worth picking up? I just noticed it's on sale

Not really, even in terms of Borderlands 2 dlc it clearly didn't have much of a budget.

It's more promotional.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Propaganda Hour posted:

lol if you remember video game trailers

i will always remember this trailer just because of its absolutely inspired musical choice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGmmXd8r4YQ

and also for apparently being better than the actual game lmao

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

dmboogie posted:

Basically everything GW related is that. I wonder how cheap they pawn off their IP for, since it's everywhere and they're almost all trash.

edit: I should clarify, I mean in the context of video games, and the gameplay/mechanics/end product is trash, the assets themselves are usually quite well done.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Serephina posted:

Basically everything GW related is that. I wonder how cheap they pawn off their IP for, since it's everywhere and they're almost all trash.

edit: I should clarify, I mean in the context of video games, and the gameplay/mechanics/end product is trash, the assets themselves are usually quite well done.

They gave one of the Space Hulk games to a random studio because they met them at GDC and the guy happened to have a pitch while THQ was imploding.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh gently caress those guys, they made that spacehulk game that I bought and still rue to this day.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Just give us a good modern remake of Chaos Gate, please God

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

dmboogie posted:

i will always remember this trailer just because of its absolutely inspired musical choice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGmmXd8r4YQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug_gqH1tzPk

Nordick posted:

Just give us a good modern remake of Chaos Gate, please God

:yeah:

-

Anything in the Visual Novel sale worth checking out in particular? I'm thinking about getting AI Somnium, but I dunno if there's anything else of interest. Someone mentioned 428 Shibuya Scramble, and I'm thinking about doing that over AI Somnium, only because AI Somnium still seems a little on the expensive side.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 4, 2020

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Max Wilco posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug_gqH1tzPk

:yeah:

-

Anything in the Visual Novel sale worth checking out in particular? I'm thinking about getting AI Somnium, but I dunno if there's anything else of interest. Someone mentioned 428 Shibuya Scramble, and I'm thinking about doing that over AI Somnium, only because AI Somnium still seems a little on the expensive side.

To reiterate,

Baldr Sky, Aokana, The House in Fata Morgana are all extreme top tier VNs that are fairly new to Steam. I guess Fata Morgana has been around for a few years, but I don't think the other two have.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

BabyRyoga posted:

To reiterate,

Baldr Sky, Aokana, The House in Fata Morgana are all extreme top tier VNs that are fairly new to Steam. I guess Fata Morgana has been around for a few years, but I don't think the other two have.

I remember Fata Morgana being recommended before.

Baldr Sky looks interesting in that it's mixed with an action game with mechs.

Aokana looks...eh? :shrug: Doesn't really pique my interest (summary makes it sound like it's about world where they invent shoes that let you fly, and there's some competition), but it doesn't look bad, and the reviews for it seem pretty positive.

On another note, how long has Nightshade been for sale on Steam? And how does it qualify as an otome game?

(It doesn't seem to be up there anymore, but it was for a short while.)

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 4, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

If Analogue: A Hate Story is on sale, I recommend getting that. It's less a VN and more a pretty solid science fiction novel in VN format.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Demonheart was a mod for the original Neverwinter Nights, it was surprising to seeing a standalone version on Steam this many years later.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

If Analogue: A Hate Story is on sale, I recommend getting that. It's less a VN and more a pretty solid science fiction novel in VN format.

Isn’t “novel” what the N in VN stands for?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Isn’t “novel” what the N in VN stands for?
If you ever play it, you'll know what I mean. The typical VN is about having a protagonist and then making choices for them like it's a CYOA book, leading to different endings and things like that. Analogue is more about just telling a pre-determined story about certain people from different perspectives. You don't really get to influence what happens, per se. Your 'viewpoint character' doesn't participate in the events themselves, they're just told about it in retrospect.

I guess you could say that it's just heavier on the "being a novel" part of it than on the "being a game" part.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Visual Novels aren't defined by having choices, several of them are static and all you do is click to move the text forward if even that much. Analogue is a VN by any metric.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If that's how you prefer it, sure. Point was more that as a general thing, the whole choices and branching paths thing is something VNs do a lot and Analogue isn't very heavy on that. Just so that anyone interested is aware.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
And even then, Analogue is a VN with choices, you pick whether to side with *Mute or *Hyun-Ae and seeing their different routes; although the game is a bit more focused on Hyun(And Hate+ on Mute), there are still different paths and endings.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The framing device has multiple endings. Hyun-Ae's story doesn't, though, seeing as one of the first things you learn is that she has already been dead for over a century by the time the game starts. Since I consider that the actually important part of the story I personally don't think the rest matters all that much, but if you disagree, then whatever I guess.

VVV I swear, VN nerds are even worse than anime nerds when it comes to making everything into a dumb argument.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 4, 2020

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
The definition you made up in your head doesn't matter to other people, correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If it's voiced then it's not a visual novel, it's a visual audiobook.