Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

They got me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

With the GLOVES though???

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Operation yewtree spotted the gloves. F for my boy

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Ew, I had no idea the E85 had electric steering.

Buy an E91/92/93 instead. :getin:
The Z4 M versions had hydraulic and the steering and the rest of the cars are awesome. A hefty price premium though.

hitze posted:

The gloves add 5 hp $150

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmao at the gloves but the real pressing question is

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

He lives on my street

I'll post some screen grabs from my Nextdoor but people are losing their poo poo and furious about him

WHERE DA SCREENSHOTS AT

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

thealphabetsez posted:

Thankfully the E9X M3 was available in a "roadster" config and I would encourage for you to consider the E93 M3 ;) Beautiful lines with the powered [hard] top down, even more of an audible experience. A great package.

Unfortunately I can't afford M prices, the '04 Z4 I was looking at was $8k, trying to keep it around $10k tops.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

hitze posted:

They were a gift.

FROM HIS EX :siren:GIRLFRIEND:siren:

BraveUlysses posted:

WHERE DA SCREENSHOTS AT

Spill that tea ggggchris

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Unfortunately I can't afford M prices, the '04 Z4 I was looking at was $8k, trying to keep it around $10k tops.

Sounds like enough money for an e46 m3 convertible :D

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Valid. Counter-point, if possible defer purchase until next winter. Might see E93 prices drop further?! Only trying to enable a bad financial decision. :)

Diametunim posted:

Sounds like enough money for an e46 m3 convertible :D

This guy! :)

On another note...I've had my E92 out over the past week as my E61 was having some repairs performed. While driving this AM I noted the service engine soon light on the dash. I was elated at this sight as I had only just picked the vehicle up from an annual service at the dealership. The OBD2-nanny device that I've been using really showed its worth when I received an email sharing the diagnostic code incident--time to double confirm which O2 sensors were replaced late last year while going through emissions. Very much am feeling more tempted to get rid of the GT4 mid-pipe section.

thealphabetsez fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 4, 2020

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Did you tell the officer you like his PPV

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Tremek posted:

Did you tell the officer you like his PP

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

I ran the math and your car goes to 165 about 35 seconds faster than his?? so uh?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You have the flip around license plates right?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

taqueso posted:

You have the flip around license plates right?

That’s only on the executive package

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I forgot to take a pic the last time I got pulled over. I did not have gloves on though.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Didn't know that was a mainstay of the thread or I would've taken one a few months ago.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

I ran the math and your car goes to 165 about 35 seconds faster than his?? so uh?

Those holdens are that slow? No poo poo?

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
Anyone know what happened to m3forum.net? Been down/broken for a while now. :hchatter:

Looking for some euro headers for my E46, and that was my spot

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

glyph posted:

Those holdens are that slow? No poo poo?

Those Caprice PPVs either come with a NA 3.6 V6 or 6.0 V8 and neither can do 165 period with 2.5+ tons of cop accoutrement and cop etc.

Tldr ~*~SMOKE ‘EM~*~

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Ganondork posted:

Anyone know what happened to m3forum.net? Been down/broken for a while now. :hchatter:

Looking for some euro headers for my E46, and that was my spot

Sadly It's an old lovely forum that isn't maintained anymore. Which is a shame because I've found it to be one of the best resources for E46 info.

Looks like they lost DNS though and the webserver is hard down. The external IP for m3 forum should be 72.29.67.134 but it doesn't appear to be up. For what it is worth m3 forum moderator obisan posted on E46 Fanatics the other day saying they're working on bringing it back.

I think I'm going to whip up some python to scrape the forum for archive purposes should the site ever come back up.

On a less fun note my car has developed a fun vibration on the front end that I can feel through the wheel as I'm driving. This morning it started occuring around 80mph on the highway and I honestly thought I was about to loose a front wheel. I was able to slow down to ~55-60 and the vibration went away.

I'll check to make sure the wheels didn't come out of balance but beyond that what bushings on the front end should I be looking to replace?

E: also wanted to say thank you to everyone who informed me about the passenger mirror movement. I'll look into coding in a lower percentage of downward movement because it is a nice feature to have

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 4, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
does the car tramline (pull into the dips in the road) with force or wander on a flat road? look at the lollipop bushings.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork

Diametunim posted:

Sadly It's an old lovely forum that isn't maintained anymore. Which is a shame because I've found it to be one of the best resources for E46 info.

Looks like they lost DNS though and the webserver is hard down. The external IP for m3 forum should be 72.29.67.134 but it doesn't appear to be up. For what it is worth m3 forum moderator obisan posted on E46 Fanatics the other day saying they're working on bringing it back.

I think I'm going to whip up some python to scrape the forum for archive purposes should the site ever come back up.

Thanks for the info, bruv. Once it's back up, it'd be interesting to know if anyone would be willing to take it over. Wouldn't mind it myself, TBH.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Ganondork posted:

Thanks for the info, bruv. Once it's back up, it'd be interesting to know if anyone would be willing to take it over. Wouldn't mind it myself, TBH.

For the latest on M&A activities at Goon-owned Enterprises, we're bringing in live-feed with Ganondork...

I'd imagine there could be interest in letting the property go. Heck, I'd opt-in to help on such a venture :)

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork

thealphabetsez posted:

For the latest on M&A activities at Goon-owned Enterprises, we're bringing in live-feed with Ganondork...

I'd imagine there could be interest in letting the property go. Heck, I'd opt-in to help on such a venture :)

I'd just want to keep the community going, it's such a great resource

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Hey BMW thread! I've been driving either American or Japanese cars all my life and, having a solid $10k CAD in the bank, I'm thinking of giving BMW a go (used). My recent experience with 2000s vehicles (a 2006 Impala with 150k miles) is making me a bit anxious about dropping that outright on a late 2000s car from a manufacturer that's notorious for being expensive to work on. I've seen a couple 2008-2009 335is for around that much with between 60k and 70k miles on them and I gotta say it's kind of hard to say no.

I guess what I'd like to know is, for one, are the horror stories of BMWs breaking horribly and needing their weight in gold to repair true or just the product of being raised by rather casual car owners (think "does their own oil changes and that's about it") in suburban North America, and what kind of problems would I be looking for in a 10-12 year old E90? Or should I just stay away from them entirely?

Originally I wanted to get an FR-S (again, that is -- I had one before bad financial issues hit and I had to sell it) but the experience of having to move in a tiny Japanese sports car has made me consider something a little more conventional in size, either coupe or sedan, but still fun to drive so I'm looking in the direction of the 335i.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
What you want is a $20k E92 M3 that has been well maintained but has a few miles on it.

Driver feel, it's a big version of a FR-S that can actually get out of its own way and doesn't need to be wrung out within an inch of its life every time you want to get to 140 55 mph. But it sure likes it, and sounds roughly 2.7 million times better than that chugging Toyota 4 cyl truck motor while it does..

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Hey BMW thread! I've been driving either American or Japanese cars all my life and, having a solid $10k CAD in the bank, I'm thinking of giving BMW a go (used). My recent experience with 2000s vehicles (a 2006 Impala with 150k miles) is making me a bit anxious about dropping that outright on a late 2000s car from a manufacturer that's notorious for being expensive to work on. I've seen a couple 2008-2009 335is for around that much with between 60k and 70k miles on them and I gotta say it's kind of hard to say no.

I guess what I'd like to know is, for one, are the horror stories of BMWs breaking horribly and needing their weight in gold to repair true or just the product of being raised by rather casual car owners (think "does their own oil changes and that's about it") in suburban North America, and what kind of problems would I be looking for in a 10-12 year old E90? Or should I just stay away from them entirely?

Originally I wanted to get an FR-S (again, that is -- I had one before bad financial issues hit and I had to sell it) but the experience of having to move in a tiny Japanese sports car has made me consider something a little more conventional in size, either coupe or sedan, but still fun to drive so I'm looking in the direction of the 335i.

Any car of that vintage you buy has a increased chance of making GBS threads itself apart and needing massive repairs, it's the tax of buying a 10+ year old vehicle. BMW simply means it will cost twice as much as a Toyota to repair

IMHO you're better off to put that 10k down on a lease/finance and enjoy a brand new car for 4 years with zero worries

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

What you want is a $20k E92 M3 that has been well maintained but has a few miles on it.

Driver feel, it's a big version of a FR-S that can actually get out of its own way and doesn't need to be wrung out within an inch of its life every time you want to get to 140 55 mph. But it sure likes it, and sounds roughly 2.7 million times better than that chugging Toyota 4 cyl truck motor while it does..

You’re conveniently ignoring the inevitable multi-thousand dollar rod bearings maintenance

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tremek posted:

You’re conveniently ignoring the inevitable multi-thousand dollar rod bearings maintenance

Or the plastics/rubber exploding everywhere after 10+ years.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Residency Evil posted:

Curiously not as bad on the E9X platform.

Real talk OP; if you were considering a FRSBRZ86 and have the budget you do I would tell you that the E82 1 series is the ticket for you. Wonderful steering, excellent proportion and the naturally aspirated I6 is pretty reliable and simple. 240HP is no slouch given the size and in a manual they are delightful little cars. They would be comparable to the ~2000's E46 NA cars is probably how I would rate them.

At this age the things you will need to look for will be the same as any car. Check the valve cover gaskets and oil filter housing gaskets for leaks. These have an electric water pump that will fail anywhere between 50-100K miles and gives no indication of when that will happen, so be aware if it hasn't been done for a while, it probably will. If I needed a smaller little zippy run around car these would probably be at the top of my list because I am an idiot for BMWs even though the 86 car is probably the better thing to have from a practical sense.

If you have a hard capped budget of ~$10K you do NOT want a turbo charge N54/55 car. It will ruin your entire life.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

E82 1 series is the way to go but get the 135i with turbos and 300hp. It may ruin your life but prior to that it’ll be lots of fun.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
A FRS isn't really that much slower than a 128i, will be more reliable / cheaper to maintain, get better gas mileage, and be easier to find than a manual 128i. They weigh 500+ pounds less than a 128i and all came with LSDs, unlike any recent non-M 1 or 3 series you'll be looking at.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
is this a daily driver or a toy because i can't really in good conscience recommend a ten grand frostbucks bmw as a daily driver to a guy who's worried about reliability

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

*In my experience* the E82 128i is a car that drives great and breaks minor bits at a minimum on a monthly basis. Get real used to that BMW chime that signifies a new trouble code being set.

I'm kinda with the group think that a used BMW is not for someone on a budget (unless you have prior experience with that particular platform). IMO it would be a real bad idea to empty out your savings account to get one.

Edit to add:

Ether Frenzy posted:

But it sure likes it, and sounds roughly 2.7 million times better than that chugging Toyota 4 cyl truck motor while it does..

A Toyota truck motor could probably be tuned for better performance than that God damned Subaru boat anchor they put in it

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 5, 2020

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Don’t listen to these idiots, what you want is a Camaro.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Whoa, lots of replies in the span of my trip home...

Thanks for all the input, guys. It's kind of interesting to see the mix of "yes it will spontaneously generate repair bills" and "do preventative maintenance and regular service and don't bang on it like it's a stolen CR-X and you'll be fine", which is still more optimistic than the common BMW knowledge I've heard.

For a bit more clarification on the financial side, it's not so much as hard cap/budget of 10,000 maplebucks, it's more that I have that on hand right now in the event that the transmission in my Impala stops doing its threatening-to-die bit and croaks once and for all. I think I probably have four or five months left in it before it eats itself, maybe a bit longer. A few thousand dollars a year in maintenance isn't the difference between having a car and paying rent or anything like that for me -- this is basically equal parts semi-daily driver and toy.

I'm less *worried* about reliability and more wanting to know if a low mileage, used, accident-free E9x is going to be a complete money pit, or if it's just going to be a normal money pit. My work commute can be done without driving, it's just easier (and half an hour quicker) with a set of wheels that's not mated to a transmission I'm expecting to fall out in shredded bits.

And no, I won't buy a Camaro. This isn't a case of "my enlistment bonus cleared, is 16.99% APR considered good" ;)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
dont buy anything with a turbo and you'll manage

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Residency Evil posted:

Haven't had any problems there (though mine is a 2011). Other than throttle bodies and rod bearings, the car seems OK. Obviously a pretty big "other than" there.

In three years, the only unscheduled maintenance was a failed wheel speed sensor and failed vacuum pump or sensor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

angryrobots posted:

A Toyota truck motor could probably be tuned for better performance than that God damned Subaru boat anchor they put in it

Oh yeah, that's Subaru's fault isn't it. LOL. That car could have been a goddamn classic, it's so fun to drive on a momentum and flow basis (plus so easy to unfuck any mistake you make, much like the E9x M3) -- but it's so painful to get annihilated by a low-tier minivan that doesn't even see that you're in a sports car and were racing between stoplights.

Residency Evil posted:

Over 5 years my average yearly cost of maintenance has been about $800 (not including gas/tires/detailing/consumables etc). Nothing unscheduled.