Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Thanks for that. Looks like it was a case of me looking the page over before I'd had my morning coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

It isn't necessarily shady, which is why it's a red flag instead of an actual "do not back this under any circumstances" warning. It is frequently an indication that they're using the funds from project B to pay for project A, and with project B being so incredibly ambitious, it's very likely that they'll need a project C to pay for project B, etc. Eventually the house of cards collapses.

I'm not saying it definitely will in this case, it's just an overall tendency which makes me wary coupled with an extremely ambitious project from a company with zero completed projects.

EDIT: I was much more comfortable backing AT:O, for example, because they had already done a couple of smaller successful kickstarters which had already been delivered, and moreso because those smaller kickstarters were funding forward rather than backwards.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Backed Mint Control and got an ad for https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gonab/the-matchbox-collection - anyone have any experience with PnP or reviews of these? I do love me a Small Game.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Deathlove posted:

anyone have any experience with PnP or reviews of these? I do love me a Small Game.

I bought a previous title from them, Spirits of the Forest and its a pretty chill game. I will likely be looking through these to see if they are cool too.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Deathlove posted:

Backed Mint Control and got an ad for https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gonab/the-matchbox-collection - anyone have any experience with PnP or reviews of these? I do love me a Small Game.

The first one they did Mint Works was a fine experiment in how far you can strip down worker placement. The rest had a much more muted reception. This one also isn't jumping at me to back.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've got the first couple, and finally took myself off their mailing list today. Just a bit too much pre-KS hype for me.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So I'm looking at Eat trash be free because KS recommended it and I'm usually up for Blades hacks, but I know nothing about this guy or any of his guest writers. It's also odd that stretch goals aren't included in the base pledge. Anything I should look out for is this an unproblematic back?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Kwyndig posted:

So I'm looking at Eat trash be free because KS recommended it and I'm usually up for Blades hacks, but I know nothing about this guy or any of his guest writers. It's also odd that stretch goals aren't included in the base pledge. Anything I should look out for is this an unproblematic back?

The statement about stretch goals should be read "There aren't any, excess funds go to pay contributors and for art." I backed his last KS, Rasp of Sand, and it was fine.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
My ZineQuest KS is about to fail super-spectacularly, to the point where I'm considering changing my name and moving to Brazil.

Meanwhile I see other people coasting to three times my goal in an hour. Urgh. Not morale boosting.

I made a lot of errors with this one, and I see that I have a LOT of work ahead to gain some cred if I ever decide to try this again.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I wouldn't worry too much. Kickstarters fail all the time. (Including one of mine a couple of years ago. Happens to us all.)

I don't have any good advice for you since I'm still pretty sure I'm getting by on blind luck, but once you've taken some time to kick yourself a bit you'll be fine.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Coming soon: DM advice dice! For when you want to ask ‘are you sure?’ to your players.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Anyone not backing Beam Sabre is a huge dummy. If you like Blades in the Dark or Gundam style robot nonsense, it is the platonic ideal.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I don't see any posts about this in this thread, so, Beam Saber:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/austinramsaygames/beam-saber?ref=user_menu
I don't know much about this system aside from it's Forged in the Dark giant robot wars, but apparently Friends at the Table is using it for their current season (I'm fairly early in Twilight Mirage so no spoilers plz) so I'm backing it.

Someone who knows more about giant robots, Forged in the Dark games, or has listened to people playing it, feel free to recommend or complain about it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I don't know anyone else's track record with CMON games, but I'm a sucker for anything with playable variations of the "lesser" Marvel characters, and this card/mini Marvel United thing has folks like Squirrel Girl, America Chavez, Howard the Duck and Moon Knight already unlocked as K/S stretch goals, and it's in the final 24. That chibi art style may not be for everyone though:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/marvel-united

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

theironjef posted:

I don't know anyone else's track record with CMON games, but I'm a sucker for anything with playable variations of the "lesser" Marvel characters, and this card/mini Marvel United thing has folks like Squirrel Girl, America Chavez, Howard the Duck and Moon Knight already unlocked as K/S stretch goals, and it's in the final 24. That chibi art style may not be for everyone though:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/marvel-united

the game seems a bit...simple? you play a card to the story row, and do the actions on the previous card + card you played and...that's it? and there's a total of 3-4 different actions?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ElegantFugue posted:

I don't see any posts about this in this thread, so, Beam Saber:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/austinramsaygames/beam-saber?ref=user_menu
I don't know much about this system aside from it's Forged in the Dark giant robot wars, but apparently Friends at the Table is using it for their current season (I'm fairly early in Twilight Mirage so no spoilers plz) so I'm backing it.

Someone who knows more about giant robots, Forged in the Dark games, or has listened to people playing it, feel free to recommend or complain about it.

I'd have backed for a PDF on the strength of the name alone, but being Forged in the Dark has me in for a hardback.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ketchup vs catsup posted:

the game seems a bit...simple? you play a card to the story row, and do the actions on the previous card + card you played and...that's it? and there's a total of 3-4 different actions?

I think the difficulty is In the economy of movement. It’s clearly not meant to be too hard but I can see how it would be easy to lose too if you’re not being mindful of the order in which you’re accomplishing things.

I bought it mainly because I’m a sucker for Marvel stuff and this seems light enough of rules that I should be able to get it to the table easily.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I think the difficulty is In the economy of movement. It’s clearly not meant to be too hard but I can see how it would be easy to lose too if you’re not being mindful of the order in which you’re accomplishing things.

I bought it mainly because I’m a sucker for Marvel stuff and this seems light enough of rules that I should be able to get it to the table easily.

Wow they’ve added a ton of stuff to it since I last looked. :sigh: backed.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I wish I could just pay them $20 for like 3 of those minis.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
That chibi Moon Knight is adorable. I didn't back but I appreciate bringing it to my attention.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

The_Doctor posted:

Coming soon: DM advice dice! For when you want to ask ‘are you sure?’ to your players.

It went live, but I predict doom because it's a Games campaign that doesn't have stretch goals and tons of minis :smaug:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a bit of an odd request, but does anyone happen to have the stock images from https://dreamforge-games.com/ by any chance? they have wiped most of their catalog after the shutdown and a request email for the images has had no reply in weeks. I've got a bunch of inventory and would prefer to use the stock images if I can, but they're not there anymore and most aren't on google.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

a bit of an odd request, but does anyone happen to have the stock images from https://dreamforge-games.com/ by any chance? they have wiped most of their catalog after the shutdown and a request email for the images has had no reply in weeks. I've got a bunch of inventory and would prefer to use the stock images if I can, but they're not there anymore and most aren't on google.

have you tried archive.org? It's a shot in the dark but it might work

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

sportsgenius86 posted:

have you tried archive.org? It's a shot in the dark but it might work
honestly forgot about the wayback machine, it's been at least half a decade since I used it. looks like most if not all of the images are still there on the WBM, which is great. thanks for the reminder, I'm so used to site snapshots on WBM back when I used to use it being the good ol' red [X]'s.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

The_Doctor posted:

Dice that are fun and not a hundred dollars for a set? Sold.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Get ready for more FOMO, since CMON will be releasing another Eric Lang Kickstarter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sRTYGZyJOc

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Sure hope it has more bones from Blood Rage than Rising Sun.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Looks like there's a Wolfenstein dungeon crawly board game that is being kickstarted soon.
https://wolfensteintheboardgame.com/

Which, the description of the gameplay makes it sound to me it is a lot like the kickstarted-not-long-ago and soon-shipping Reichbusters, which I supported in kickstarter because it's pretty much a Wolfenstein board game.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1162110258/reichbusters-projekt-vril

So, uh, I guess they're gonna have some competition! Except the Wolfenstein one will actually have a Mecha-Hitler miniature. I think this is going to result in me having TWO dungeon-crawly co-op board games where you infiltrate supernazi bases.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

GrandpaPants posted:

Get ready for more FOMO, since CMON will be releasing another Eric Lang Kickstarter:

I wonder if that will draw attention away from the Khemet kickstarter?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

HJE-Cobra posted:

Looks like there's a Wolfenstein dungeon crawly board game that is being kickstarted soon.
Keep in mind that it is from Archon/totallynotatallProdos, so fulfillment might be a rollercoaster of emotions.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

El Fideo posted:

I wonder if that will draw attention away from the Khemet kickstarter?

Is Kemet 2 going to be a Kickstarter? I don't think they've Kickstarted anything before. If so, when is it supposed to come out?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

HJE-Cobra posted:

Which, the description of the gameplay makes it sound to me it is a lot like the kickstarted-not-long-ago and soon-shipping Reichbusters, which I supported in kickstarter because it's pretty much a Wolfenstein board game.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1162110258/reichbusters-projekt-vril

So, uh, I guess they're gonna have some competition! Except the Wolfenstein one will actually have a Mecha-Hitler miniature. I think this is going to result in me having TWO dungeon-crawly co-op board games where you infiltrate supernazi bases.

I played this at Spiel last year and frankly in the state it was then i found it pretty bland and boring. Part of this may have been the staff who could barely be arsed to explain the rules but the whole thing left a pretty bad impression with the entire group.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Maybe Reichbusters will be better, then. And when I inevitably wind up with both games then I can use the Mecha-Hitler figure in Reichbusters.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

The Eyes Have It posted:

It went live, but I predict doom because it's a Games campaign that doesn't have stretch goals and tons of minis :smaug:

Backed.

Also, while browsing Kickstarter, I found Towns & Taverns. 2 Modular Books of Battle Mats for Roleplay

I think I'll get the dungeon ones as well, which they say you can get post-kickstarter I think. Anyone had any experience with them?

Comstar fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 5, 2020

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Bistromatic posted:

I played this at Spiel last year and frankly in the state it was then i found it pretty bland and boring. Part of this may have been the staff who could barely be arsed to explain the rules but the whole thing left a pretty bad impression with the entire group.
Archon does great minis but horrible rules/game support afterwards.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Comstar posted:

Backed.

Also, while browsing Kickstarter, I found Towns & Taverns. 2 Modular Books of Battle Mats for Roleplay

I think I'll get the dungeon ones as well, which they say you can get post-kickstarter I think. Anyone had any experience with them?

The spiral binding pisses me off to no end.

It’s like the Star Trek Ships of the Line calendars that they REFUSE to print so there’s no crease down the middle of every picture.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

GrandpaPants posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sRTYGZyJOc

Aw gently caress I LOVE Egyptian aesthetics. drat it.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

HJE-Cobra posted:

Maybe Reichbusters will be better, then. And when I inevitably wind up with both games then I can use the Mecha-Hitler figure in Reichbusters.

I tried Reichsbusters in 2018 and while it didn't knock my socks off it was a perfectly decent dungeon crawler in my opinion. Better than Wolfenstein for sure but that's not a high bar to clear :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Doctor Zero posted:

It’s like the Star Trek Ships of the Line calendars that they REFUSE to print so there’s no crease down the middle of every picture.

Heh, I got given one of those for Christmas. Nice calendar, but utterly pointless even as a calendar. Landscape format (which I’ve honestly never seen before), with a tiny useless month on display, and as you say, a big crease down the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Comstar posted:

One of my friends and GMs swears by these books, and they've been consistently good when he's used them in games.