Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Haven't played in a while so I started a new character to maybe seriously see the game past level 50. What's a good way to stay geared as I level? I used to have a bunch of crafting alts make things as necessary but that got a little tedious before long. I'll do it again if that's the optimal way but I'm curious of other possible options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

SettingSun posted:

Haven't played in a while so I started a new character to maybe seriously see the game past level 50. What's a good way to stay geared as I level? I used to have a bunch of crafting alts make things as necessary but that got a little tedious before long. I'll do it again if that's the optimal way but I'm curious of other possible options.

You may have a ton of skirmish points from your last character (they're account-based), if you do you can buy gear pretty cheap from skirmish camps once you hit 20. (Before that just use quest drops)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Oh skirmish tokens! I forgot about those. Thanks for the tip.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Since the DDO thread got archived I thought I might as well ask here since people might know since it's the same developer: is DDO superdead yet? Or are people still playing enough to get parties at weird european times? I saw it got a sharn expansion, but my friends don't really play anymore and solo is only fun for so long.

vvv: welp, sorry, i was looking for it and couldn't find, must be blind, thanks a bunch

Truga fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 20, 2019

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Truga posted:

Since the DDO thread got archived I thought I might as well ask here since people might know since it's the same developer: is DDO superdead yet? Or are people still playing enough to get parties at weird european times? I saw it got a sharn expansion, but my friends don't really play anymore and solo is only fun for so long.

There is a more recent thread, not super active but might get some more responses there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3896993

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/lord-rings-online-black-friday-deals

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
One other thing to consider with the f2p aspect is that deeds in the starter areas can net you several hundred lotro points. You earn them per character, so keeping a spare character slot to grind those and low-level crafting mats is a way to supplement LP and gold. But that depends on your time and tolerance for grinding.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I’ve always meant to ask this but what’s the key to smooth leveling? I’m premium if that matters.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

SettingSun posted:

I’ve always meant to ask this but what’s the key to smooth leveling? I’m premium if that matters.

Do the Epic, pick up any side quests along the way that are within 4 levels of your current level. Don’t worry about gear. You’ll be overlevelled for everything and it will be fairly easy.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
Also, use your destiny point to buy the double exp thingie

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Holiday events are a good way to supplement XP too.

This Black Friday sale is just so-so. Mordor half off is good. The new task bag as a bonus for buying points is good (anything that frees up inventory is nice), but the price of the quad pack is still more on sale than it is at normal price from resellers like cheap punk or G2A. I have to wonder if they don't know about the competition there, or don't care, or if they've done the math and figure this way still nets the most profit regardless (what % of the players even research pricing before buying?). Or if they thought about it at all. But they're keeping the lights on, so something is working I guess.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
How's the legacy server doing? Anybody got any stories from there? I assume they're well into Mordor and beyond at this point.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Last I heard the legendary server was up to Isengard stuff. I had a sub earlier in the year and enjoyed playing while there was a bunch of other people in my level range. But then it just got to be yet another alt and I got bored and dropped it.

Rajazan
Sep 19, 2012
Hi folks, was jonesing to give this a shot and finally took the plunge. Just created a character on Landroval, would someone be able to invite to the Kinship? Ign: Milthuran

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So weirder questions.

I've been wanting to play this for awhile, only really for the story stuff. Is it worth it? I'm a huge mark for Angmar stuff, but find stuff tied to the Fellowship tends to be pretty repetitive. Basically I like it when stuff fleshes out the world more, hate it when it's just "and here's where Bilbo met that dwarf. You can also meet the dwarf!".

On that note, how long is the game if I just focus the story stuff. For reference it took me about 3-6 months to do all the content in ESO, which is a hell of a lot of content. I'm able to usually finish a WoW Classic, or Rift sized MMO in around 2-3 months.

And the weirdest question, how are the devs doing. It sounds like they want to keep the game running for basically ever, but they are also attached to Daybreak. Is it a "if Daybreak goes under we keep trucking" kind of situation, or are they super tied to Daybreak. Because boy howdy Daybreak has been on fire for the 4 years it's existed.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Rookersh posted:

I've been wanting to play this for awhile, only really for the story stuff. Is it worth it? I'm a huge mark for Angmar stuff, but find stuff tied to the Fellowship tends to be pretty repetitive. Basically I like it when stuff fleshes out the world more, hate it when it's just "and here's where Bilbo met that dwarf. You can also meet the dwarf!".

"Story stuff" is really the best part of/the reason to play this game. You essentially take a path parallel to the Fellowship through Middle Earth and take part in some of the key parts of the storyline (battle of Helm's Deep, battle of the Pelennor Fields, etc.) although you do see some fellowship events in a kind of 'flashback' (the Boromir one is straight-up hilarious). Around the time you enter Mordor the timeline moves beyond the books and gets somewhat weaker I think, but it's still much better than "Collect Twelve Bear Asses".

Rookersh posted:

On that note, how long is the game if I just focus the story stuff. For reference it took me about 3-6 months to do all the content in ESO, which is a hell of a lot of content. I'm able to usually finish a WoW Classic, or Rift sized MMO in around 2-3 months.

Probably about 6 months or longer (most people it would take around a year). There's a LOT of content.

Rookersh posted:

And the weirdest question, how are the devs doing. It sounds like they want to keep the game running for basically ever, but they are also attached to Daybreak. Is it a "if Daybreak goes under we keep trucking" kind of situation, or are they super tied to Daybreak. Because boy howdy Daybreak has been on fire for the 4 years it's existed.

They seem to be doing OK. The Daybreak connection is only as a service provider so they would keep going if Daybreak got foreclosed by the Russians or something.

Honestly the only things I'd warn about for anyone trying the game - you'll want to subscribe for a month as it's the most cost effective way to unlock various things on your character, and around level 100 you get introduced to the most stupid and punishing grind in the game (imbued legendary weapons).

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 9, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rookersh posted:

So weirder questions.

It doesn't descend into lazy stagings of scenes from the books until the second Rohan expansion, thankfully.

It's a decent mix of crossing paths and 'here's what was happening over there instead' until then. And if you ignore the Epic questlines you miss most of the former.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

sassassin posted:

It doesn't descend into lazy stagings of scenes from the books until the second Rohan expansion, thankfully.

It's a decent mix of crossing paths and 'here's what was happening over there instead' until then. And if you ignore the Epic questlines you miss most of the former.

Said expansion is absolutely the low point of the game, topped by the awful misery of the Epic Battles system. Even then the storylines stay fairly strong. Then the sequence through Gondor is widely considered to be excellent. Mordor is a mix of good and bad ideas; luckily if you're a story completionist you should go in way overleveled and won't see the huge soloing difficulty spike it was for casual players at launch. Then the post-Mordor content is excellent--the Dale and Erebor stuff is IMO the best content in the entire game in terms of story. I have mixed feelings about Minas Morgul so far but I'm happy to say that the Black Book of Mordor (the equivalent of the Epic after the events of the books finish) absolutely sticks the landing and brilliantly ties together some plotlines going all the way back to that Angmar stuff.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I deleted the game when I got to the Erebor stuff. I thought Mordor was alright (shame so much of it seems to resolve in massive group content?) but the black book quests were aggressively bad to me. Even at the start they were more boring versions of normal landscape breadcrumb quests in the same areas. Calling them Epic is absolutely a pisstake.

I think I got to a bit where you had to beg an old dwarf woman for help, with all your best friends (Gandalf and surviving stars of The Hobbit, so exactly what Rookersh isn't keen on). It was nice to see northern Mirkwood and Dale, at least.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

sassassin posted:

I think I got to a bit where you had to beg an old dwarf woman for help, with all your best friends (Gandalf and surviving stars of The Hobbit, so exactly what Rookersh isn't keen on). It was nice to see northern Mirkwood and Dale, at least.
Conversely the part of the Black Book involving this stuff and the discussion of true names, etc. made me actually gasp in appreciation, like, out loud IRL, at several points. And the whole non-Epic storyline involving Dale deciding what to do about Easterling refugees is one of my favorite questlines of all time. YMMV I guess!

ETA: I got bored today and checked my posting history in this thread and there's literally years of me telling innocent newbies that they should really do the Epic despite you dumping on it. Congrats on finally quitting a game you hated!

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 10, 2020

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Been falling off and becoming more casual for the last few years with the exception of finding a group for the last raid, the anvil, and blasting poo poo up in there for a month or so before the main strat forgot about using champions again and I got put on the B list.

So with a whole two hours worth of runs into the Minas Morgul instances I'll review them: I really like how the 3 man fights are short and challenging. Pretty simple stuff, you're in a dangerous place somewhere within the new expansion pack and you gotta slaughter orcs or bosses I won't spoil yet, then you get loot.

SSG's real and ultimate failure is poorly managing the amount of content there is and the amount of money they want people to pay to skip repeating it on their additional characters. Even if we took the worst review of LoTRO from someone who never liked it and said half the expansions were bad, it'd still mean after nearly 13 years the game has enough purely great content to hit the max level without ever touching the areas you didn't love.

If they properly addressed the confusion and grind involved in people playing again after taking 3 or 5 years off, it wouldn't surprise me to see the servers all fill to the brim again.

And I know sassassin is going on his ten year anniversary of complaining about the game in this thread: But Erebor owned big time, turn your monitor on

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Yeah I really feel Turbine/SSG finance team has done them a disservice. The barrier to entry for new players is huge, the Legendary grind is awful for alts, and just some of the pricing on the store just seems very poorly thought out. But then I guess they have access to the data and maybe the whales make up for it. It feels like the game only cares about Whales and super casual f2p players, anyone in the middle is kind of left out. Either pay hundreds of dollars or at most just buy an expansion every couple years.

Its too bad cause I think if they did streamline the game and started bundling expansions like pretty much every other MMO does these days they could potentially pull in new players and revitalize the community.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

quote:

it'd still mean after nearly 13 years the game has enough purely great content to hit the max level without ever touching the areas you didn't love.

No way to skip Rohan unless you pay to, and that's some of the most godawful content in the game (I'd rather do Angmar than some of those stupid mounted-combat-required quests again)

quote:

If they properly addressed the confusion and grind involved in people playing again after taking 3 or 5 years off, it wouldn't surprise me to see the servers all fill to the brim again.

At this point I think it's flat out mandatory for them to fix legendary weapons post-100. Otherwise casual players will hit a big solid brick wall in Mordor and quit, because unless you spend hours grinding crystals to level up your legendary (or pay an insane amount of $$$) you simply can't finish those zones; your DPS will be crippled no matter what class you play.

Of course, it looks like their current answer is "pay $65 for a Valar boost that gives you mostly levelled legendaries" which... is not a really good answer!

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 21, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

extra stout posted:

And I know sassassin is going on his ten year anniversary of complaining about the game in this thread: But Erebor owned big time, turn your monitor on

I will complain about the game forever.

I don't know how much of the last 10 years I've actually been playing but I only have 2248 hours total according to steam. Practically a beginner.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
All valid complaints above, you can skip Rohan though honestly. I'm the only level 130 here I think and even I'm missing trait points, never cost me a raid invite. Being a champion will cost you more of those.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7987170#post7987170

The six man Minas Morgul instances will be in in a few hours, and if Nazgun reads this I hope he gets his rear end to 130 soon so we can kill stuff. The instances have been great so far but I agree if the game is 80 percent casual players stuck in 2009s content they need to fix some of these old bloated systems in game. If they were making a lot more money (fixing VIP like they've been planning for six or seven years in a row now would be how I would do this) then they'd probably be under less heat from Daybreak to keep all this pay to skip grind stuff in.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Maybe I'm behind a system or so, but I only leveled through Mordor and didn't do anything really. I spent $20 on some ingame currency and I'm pretty sure my 2 legendaries were topped out and I have 50-60 slayer accelerator tomes and 30 xp accelerator tomes, and like 8k left over? Maybe it was like $40. It wasn't excessive, though.

I guess that's the less than legal way, though. I'm proud to support my Chinese brothers in all MMOs I play, though.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

https://massivelyop.com/2020/01/21/daybreak-says-its-studio-split-up-will-have-no-impact-on-standing-stone-lotro-or-ddo/

But what if it actually will have an impact. I haven't really been paying attention for a while, but I wonder if this will leave SSG with a smaller pot of money to screw around with after this.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
SSG is only using Daybreak as a publisher, so nothing at all is likely to change for them. It's the other subsidiaries & games that may face some changes. It sounds to me like the rest of Daybreak is being restructured to operate more like SSG does.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Daybreak is being broken up in preparation for a sale (in case someone wants to buy EQ and not anything else, for example)

Daybreak isn't even a publisher for SSG unless they invested some money, AFAIK they just do server hosting and that's pretty easy to line up. Notably SSG does their own monetization (either directly through LOTRO Store or Steam) which is considerably more difficult to get going than finding a place to park a server rack. There's still some hush-hush about the whole thing which tells me Daybreak probably has part ownership, but I really doubt it's a controlling interest.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 22, 2020

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Poking at LOTRO again and have a question. Is the Legendary servers still where the majority of the player focus is, or has attention shifted back to the normal servers?

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

extra stout posted:

The six man Minas Morgul instances will be in in a few hours, and if Nazgun reads this I hope he gets his rear end to 130 soon so we can kill stuff.

Yeah I'm reading you but I'm still waiting in march to buy the expansion with my lifer's points... Nazgun is 126 and Jaia (Guardian) is 120, so I'll probably have 2 characters at 130 in march :)

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Conskill posted:

Poking at LOTRO again and have a question. Is the Legendary servers still where the majority of the player focus is, or has attention shifted back to the normal servers?

Legendary servers died down quite a bit after the initial rush but are probably still a better place to level if you have no aspirations of seeing Mordor or beyond in the next year (they're about to start adding Rohan, I expect by the end of the year they'll have progressed into west or central Gondor)

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

Lum_ posted:

Legendary servers died down quite a bit after the initial rush but are probably still a better place to level if you have no aspirations of seeing Mordor or beyond in the next year (they're about to start adding Rohan, I expect by the end of the year they'll have progressed into west or central Gondor)

Picking this up again after a few years away, if the core severs took a hit when the legendary one came out, you wouldn't know it.

Last time I started a new character on Brandywine it was a ghost town till Moria, and even then it was rare to see other players.

Actually running into more players now in the early areas than I have in a long time.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

So I'm closing in on lvl45, at which point I've been told I should get my first legendary item ASAP.

However, I'm enjoying playing through the epic a lot (just started Book 7) and to get the legendary I'll have to skip ahead to chapter II and do some of the Moria stuff. Can I put Chapter I on hold, go get my legendary, then return and play the rest of the pre-Moria epic quests, or will I be locked out if I choose to skip ahead and go to Moria?

EDIT: I've bought Angmar with LotrO points and I've finished up all the Aughaire quests except the one where you need to kill elite dragons. Will the rest of Angmar be enough to get me to level 50, or should I get another zone as well? I've got ~1000 LotrO points left so I could afford any one of them. I was considering Misty Mountains earlier, but didn't really get a feel for it once I went there for the epic quests. I've finished all of Evendim (except Elendil's Tomb) already.

Also, I've got a low-level character in the goonkin from earlier but haven't touched it since starting my warden. If anyone's online these days feel free to throw an invite to Aedhwen.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 25, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The chapter 2 intro for your legendary doesn't impact the chapter 1 story in any way. You can go do it as a diversion then return to what you were doing no problem.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The area in trollshaws with the giants (south of rivendell) is around that level, iirc. If you haven't done the "visit rivendell 4000 times" part of the storyline yet, you might try that if you manage to run out of angmar content

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
I have 2 characters at 126 now, not worth leveling anymore before I can buy the expansion with tolkien points.
Any idea when in march Ill be able to do that ?

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010
The expansion is supposed to be on the lotro store after the new raid launches. So sometime this month, probably in the second half.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AskYourself posted:

I have 2 characters at 126 now, not worth leveling anymore before I can buy the expansion with tolkien points.
Any idea when in march Ill be able to do that ?

I haven't played LOTRO in a long rear end time, but the level cap is WHAT? :eyepop: I miss when this game was just up to Mines of Moria. I've been considering coming back, but it feels very overwhelming at this point for a returning player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

I said come in! posted:

I haven't played LOTRO in a long rear end time, but the level cap is WHAT? :eyepop: I miss when this game was just up to Mines of Moria. I've been considering coming back, but it feels very overwhelming at this point for a returning player?

I just came back after over 3 years. If you pace yourself good, and play somewhat casually, it can take months to even get to Rohan, which starts at 75. Especially if you work on more than one character.

LOTRO really isn't about whipping through to the endgame as there is a ton of content at every level, so it helps to avoid feeling overwhelming.