Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Froghammer posted:

Like, D&D in every edition other than 4e starts as medieval survival horror, then it transitions into medieval heroic fantasy, then it transitions into medieval superheroes. If you don't want a game that does that and stays tonally consistent as players progress and accumulate power, you don't want Dungeons and Dragons.

This is an extremely succinct and good way to explain the issue to people, yeah.

Like resource management is trivialized by the time you hit level 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Are there any good tools for doing D&D combat in three dimensions?

My aarakocra kensei monk is starting to cause math to happen at the table and that's somewhat frowned upon. We're using a dry-erase grid, usually in 5' block increments.

Put a d20 next to your mini to indicate how many 5' blocks high you are. If your DM starts trying to pull some Pythagorean Theorem math bullshit on you, remind them that by default RAW horizontal diagonals are 5' just the same as cardinal directions on the grid so why should vertical diagonals be any different? 50' straight up is exactly the same as 50' diagonally up and 50' north or whatever.

If your table uses the weird 5/10' alternating diagonal thing then use an Excel sheet with functions to really quickly figure out hypotenuses, I guess.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Moose King posted:

Put a d20 next to your mini to indicate how many 5' blocks high you are. If your DM starts trying to pull some Pythagorean Theorem math bullshit on you, remind them that by default RAW horizontal diagonals are 5' just the same as cardinal directions on the grid so why should vertical diagonals be any different? 50' straight up is exactly the same as 50' diagonally up and 50' north or whatever.

If your table uses the weird 5/10' alternating diagonal thing then use an Excel sheet with functions to really quickly figure out hypotenuses, I guess.

yeah, we've been using the die. The problem we had was not realizing the simplified diagonal rule thing, I think that will solve the problem.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
we usually use the clear chessex dice containers to represent flying minis if we're using a map, although that's only good for showing who is flying and who isn't

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Diagonals only taking five feet instead of alternating is one of those little rules that makes things better without causing problems elsewhere.

Jay-Roden
Jul 22, 2018

My leg is hungry.

Blood for the Blood God!
Skulls for the Skull Throne!
Does anyone know of any online games that don't mind adding 1 more? Preferably ones that run on sundays?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Kaysette posted:

we usually use the clear chessex dice containers to represent flying minis if we're using a map, although that's only good for showing who is flying and who isn't

just need more dice containers imo

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Diagonals only taking five feet instead of alternating is one of those little rules that makes things better without causing problems elsewhere.
*reminisces about grognards complaining about 4e's "square fireballs"*

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

My aarakocra kensei monk is starting to cause math to happen at the table and that's somewhat frowned upon. We're using a dry-erase grid, usually in 5' block increments.
So do you draw range from your head cube or your feet cube?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Splicer posted:

*reminisces about grognards complaining about 4e's "square fireballs"*

I'd rather square fireballs than the endless annoying zone minmaxing that happens with spheres and cones and poo poo.

"No, I swear, if I position this JUST RIGHT I can hit 5 goblins instead of 4!" and repeat for like half an hour.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Blast and burst were pretty elegant for this grid based combat game.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Splicer posted:

So do you draw range from your head cube or your feet cube?

I think 5e uses corner to corner line of sight, right? so, whichever is closer I suppose.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Whenever my group needs to do height math, we usually have Jenga blocks close by for stacking and then we use a laser pointer to make sure things like rays and beams and thrown weapons have real targets.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

So far I've only had flying enemies, no player characters, but my quick and dirty rule is "it's it's flying, you need to fly out use ranged combat to hit it" without worrying too much about range. It would probably gently caress my party pretty bad if things could fly out to max range and throw spells and attacks from there, they're not really set up for long range combat.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

So far I've only had flying enemies, no player characters, but my quick and dirty rule is "it's it's flying, you need to fly out use ranged combat to hit it" without worrying too much about range. It would probably gently caress my party pretty bad if things could fly out to max range and throw spells and attacks from there, they're not really set up for long range combat.

Sounds like you need a good flying dragon siege encounter in that game.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Jay-Roden posted:

Does anyone know of any online games that don't mind adding 1 more? Preferably ones that run on sundays?
There are LFG boards at Fantasy Grounds and on their discord, also reddit/LFG

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Why do so many dm's feel the need to crap on rests? I don't get why it seems to be a thing. Let folks spam their cool poo poo. There's a reason Deadfire moved away from "Rests" to just a per-encounter system.

D&D 5e is officially balanced round 6-7 combats in a day. This just about works in a dungeon, but is utterly ridiculous for a hexcrawl where you are expected to spend about a day exploring a hex and not devastate the entire local ecosystem in the process. If you don't want the wizards to go into almost every fight fully loaded and alpha striking while making the martial characters nigh on useless by comparison the obvious way is to monkey around with the resting system.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

neonchameleon posted:

If you don't want the wizards to go into almost every fight fully loaded and alpha striking while making the martial characters nigh on useless by comparison the obvious way is to monkey around with the resting system.

I see limiting short rests way more than long rests, but that might just be luck on my part.

Jay-Roden
Jul 22, 2018

My leg is hungry.

Blood for the Blood God!
Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Syrinxx posted:

There are LFG boards at Fantasy Grounds and on their discord, also reddit/LFG

I was hoping to find some goons to play with, I have always felt like any goon group i play with i may not have known them for very long but it still feels like home.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
So my DM is starting us off in Ghosts of Saltmarsh for a new campaign. I've made a bard that I'm planning on being a College of Glamour subclass. So far I've got one of the party on board with the idea of us taking over a ship and becoming pirates. My bard could be the Half-Drow Pirate Queen of Fashion. Loved by the locals but feared by other pirates. Bad idea or hilarious idea that could derail the campaign from the get go?
Her backstory is that her mom fled to Saltmarsh while she was pregnant with her and her twin brother. So they are both Half-Drow bards who grew up in the town with their human mother. And both play at the Snapping Line tavern for extra gold. She's the vocalist and he's the instrumentalist.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
The very first thing I did in saltmarsh was kill the captain of a ship (no murderhobo -- it was part of an adventure) for his stylin' hat. This also gives opportunities to say "Look at me, I'm the captain now"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

So my DM is starting us off in Ghosts of Saltmarsh for a new campaign. I've made a bard that I'm planning on being a College of Glamour subclass. So far I've got one of the party on board with the idea of us taking over a ship and becoming pirates. My bard could be the Half-Drow Pirate Queen of Fashion. Loved by the locals but feared by other pirates. Bad idea or hilarious idea that could derail the campaign from the get go?
Her backstory is that her mom fled to Saltmarsh while she was pregnant with her and her twin brother. So they are both Half-Drow bards who grew up in the town with their human mother. And both play at the Snapping Line tavern for extra gold. She's the vocalist and he's the instrumentalist.

That's a good concept.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
Thoughts/recommendations on virtual tables for virtual get-togethers? I have had enough of the disgusting physical presence of my players (I live in Seattle).

I'm not looking for any sort of campaign planning or preparation or fancy graphics, I just want to scribble a room and throw some orcs down, like an online battlemat, and not have it be a hassle in the middle of the game. Don't want to pay (A THIRD TIME after D&D Beyond) to unlock game/content add-ons. Will probably have video/chat via Discord (or, God help us, Microsoft Teams because lol my players).

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Base Emitter posted:

Thoughts/recommendations on virtual tables for virtual get-togethers? I have had enough of the disgusting physical presence of my players (I live in Seattle).

I'm not looking for any sort of campaign planning or preparation or fancy graphics, I just want to scribble a room and throw some orcs down, like an online battlemat, and not have it be a hassle in the middle of the game. Don't want to pay (A THIRD TIME after D&D Beyond) to unlock game/content add-ons. Will probably have video/chat via Discord (or, God help us, Microsoft Teams because lol my players).

That sounds like something you can do easily enough with the free version of Roll20. It has very straightforward sketching tools to use to quickly scratch up some map details. You'd have to do a little bit of prep to make the tokens for your players to use, but that's a one time set up if you don't care about them managing their characters through Roll20.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

I've run it multiple times in multiple editions, that's great.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

neonchameleon posted:

D&D 5e is officially balanced round 6-7 combats in a day. This just about works in a dungeon, but is utterly ridiculous for a hexcrawl where you are expected to spend about a day exploring a hex and not devastate the entire local ecosystem in the process. If you don't want the wizards to go into almost every fight fully loaded and alpha striking while making the martial characters nigh on useless by comparison the obvious way is to monkey around with the resting system.

The problem people are pointing out though is that you should be loving with Long Rest logic, not short rest. In my home game I've straight up turned Long Rest's into milestones so they trigger at appropriate story beats rather than being mechanical things players do. It just cuts out so much bs with building encounters.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Just put one or two encounters worth of fighting between each short rest opportunity, and 3 or 4 of those between each long rest opportunity. It literally doesn't matter how you describe these opportunities because rests are mechanical pacing tools not narrative ones.

Wilderness hex crawl scenario? Your short rest is "overnight" and your long rest is "safe back in town".

Lair raid? Your short rest is 15 seconds to breathe hard and wipe someone else's blood off your face before you kick the next door. You will not receive a long rest, it'll be over one way or another by then.

Standard dungeon crawl? Your short rest is 5 minutes to drink water and refill your potion bandolier from your pack. Your long rest is the half hour you take between levels to bash the dents your of your armor, stretch, eat a snack, and try to remember how to cast fireball again.

Between scenarios, reset everything to full.

Just be upfront and explicit about what a rest means in the current scenario before the scenario starts.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

My group is probably a bit more RP-heavy than the average (we often have sessions with no combat) but the default expectation of so many fights per day seems really high to me, especially considering how much time combat takes once you're at a level where you're not just hitting someone once or casting the same cantrip every round.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

neonchameleon posted:

D&D 5e is officially balanced round 6-7 combats in a day.

lol I've never understood how the gently caress people actually play the game that way; do you have a long rest once an out of game month or something

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In my last 6 months or so of weekly/bi-weekly games, we’ve averaged 2-3 game sessions of 3-4 hours with only 1 combat, and then when we actually have a dungeon, then it’s basically just combat for 4 hours until the boss fight. We’ve had at least 3 sessions with all talk and RP, but our DM usually puts those directly before or after a long dungeon crawl for pacing.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

lol I've never understood how the gently caress people actually play the game that way; do you have a long rest once an out of game month or something

Depends how fighty things are how long sessions go, but yeah usually every 3-4 sessions unless there's been way more talking than usual. Which could be an hour or a month in-game depending on what's going on. So yeah, one long rest per IRL month is probably about right on average.

But my online group generally smashes out an encounter in a about an hour these days now that everyone's got their poo poo together. Current GM has enemies rout and surrender and stuff instead of dragging each combat out to the last hp of the last opponent every single time, which is a massive difference in the length of fights. I think she has a morale table or something, but it's not explicitly player facing. I'll ask.

e: Roll20 games always dragged for me until this group, way more so than face-to-face ever did. But everyone being on the same page about expectations, knowing the rules they interact with, and generally having their poo poo together while using a computerised grid and macro'ed dice for everything is a loving eye opener for how fast you can resolve D&D combat online if you don't mind the mechanical bits being extremely computer-game-y.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 4, 2020

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

UrbicaMortis posted:

My group is probably a bit more RP-heavy than the average (we often have sessions with no combat) but the default expectation of so many fights per day seems really high to me, especially considering how much time combat takes once you're at a level where you're not just hitting someone once or casting the same cantrip every round.

there are tricks and such to speed up combat, one of the best ways i find is to make combat more deadly and keep people on their toes. if there is no guarantee you are going to survive an encounter people suddenly pay a lot more attention.

other than that, though, an encounter does not just mean combat. non combat encounters can drain spells too, be it in the way of traps or just things that draw utility spells. at lower levels a great trap is "large hunting party out for the group" that you make explicitly clear that they can not fight. it is a great encounter, one that can be used in early travel and setup a cathartic plot hook later on in the campaign.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'm needing some help designing some mooks for a Ravnica campaign I'm running. It's set during the War of the Spark and the party is about to fight Nico Bolas worshipping cultists (party is level 7).

I want to give them something a bit extra than just the generic Cultist stats, and since Bolas has a thing with 7's, I'm thinking of giving them a once-per-day/encounter DC save attack that reduces one of the player's stats by -7 for one turn (minimum of 1). Too much? I'd appreciate any further ideas.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I'm needing some help designing some mooks for a Ravnica campaign I'm running. It's set during the War of the Spark and the party is about to fight Nico Bolas worshipping cultists (party is level 7).

I want to give them something a bit extra than just the generic Cultist stats, and since Bolas has a thing with 7's, I'm thinking of giving them a once-per-day/encounter DC save attack that reduces one of the player's stats by -7 for one turn (minimum of 1). Too much? I'd appreciate any further ideas.

Are they supposed to be skelezombies? Are your players walkers?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

Are they supposed to be skelezombies? Are your players walkers?

Players are just Ravnica guild members (all Boros boys), no walkers in the party. And they ain't fighting the Dreadhorde just yet, although the invasion begins in one/two more sessions. They're basically fighting Augurs of Bolas currently.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
* Make a player roll a 7 on a d20
* Replace any damage result (roll + mods) with a 7
* Set all of a character's stats to 7 until the end of their next turn
* Perform 7 attacks with one cultist's action (only if they can split the attacks across multiple targets), the cultist then needs a turn or two to recover or something
* Cast a fireball that deals 7 damage to everything it hits -- make a big deal about targeting, determining area of effect, asking people to roll saves, etc.

On the 7th turn, 7 reinforcements show up (if combat doesn't last that long, then they show up while the players are picking over the bodies).

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

pog boyfriend posted:

there are tricks and such to speed up combat, one of the best ways i find is to make combat more deadly and keep people on their toes. if there is no guarantee you are going to survive an encounter people suddenly pay a lot more attention.

other than that, though, an encounter does not just mean combat. non combat encounters can drain spells too, be it in the way of traps or just things that draw utility spells. at lower levels a great trap is "large hunting party out for the group" that you make explicitly clear that they can not fight. it is a great encounter, one that can be used in early travel and setup a cathartic plot hook later on in the campaign.

Our combat is generally quite lethal because we almost always go into fights fully rested, so our DM makes them pretty hard.

I didn't realise that encounters doesn't necessarily mean combat but also just hazards/puzzles - that makes a lot more sense.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah making them all a diviner and allowing to replace any d20 die result with a 7. Once or twice per day

If 7 of then are within 10-15 of each other(in a line or grouping from any other of the other 7) they get a +7 to hit/damage

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

You guys are lucky, the long rest classes in my campaigns start complaining they're tired after 2-3 fights

I'm like save your loving spells but no one does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
IIRC you can only get the benefit of taking a long rest once every 24 hours. If the long rest classes are blowing their load by noon and then camping out for 18 hours then the GM should probably start adding time constraints to quests and attacking your camps 3 or 4 times a day.

Not in a "that will learn them" way, but because these are fun.