Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

esperterra posted:

Some of these are garbage ngl.

I'm fine with almost all the tracks but the remix of those who fight further is really not my jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elentor posted:

I'm fine with almost all the tracks but the remix of those who fight further is really not my jam.

Yeah, its even tougher because perfect covers of that one already exist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzFh9GuE0rA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6qaPxf7EV4

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

esperterra posted:

Some of these are garbage ngl.

Play the demo

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzFh9GuE0rA

The only version that matters of TWFF.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

precision posted:

They'll probably update Cait joining to being a side quest where you have to earn enough GP to pay off his gambling debt or something and then he'll insist on coming with you to repay the favor

Or like you'll stumble on some dudes attacking him and save him

I forgot how crazy OP you get in the original. I'm not grinding at all and everyone is level 40-ish at the Sleeping Forest, and none of the fights so far have been remotely hard. The only time I've summoned Bahamut was just to see what it looked like at 3x speed

There are 3 fights I remember being very difficult:

Materia Keeper at Mt. Nibel
Demon Gate in the Temple of the Ancients
Carry Armor at the Underwater Reactor

The Hundred/Heli Gunner combo in the Shinra building can also mess you up if you're not careful.

Everything else, not so much.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Was it ever said how long this part was going to be?

I'm trying to remember all the stuff that happens in the original and if there are enough general story beats to stretch it out into 40 odd hours or however long the standard RPG is these days.

Like, that demo was just a demo but i'd say it was only maybe a bit longer than the pace of the original version

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I like the new boss music; I didn't at first as I was hoping for a close recreation of the original, but it works really well for the new game after a few listens.

precision posted:

I forgot how crazy OP you get in the original. I'm not grinding at all and everyone is level 40-ish at the Sleeping Forest, and none of the fights so far have been remotely hard. The only time I've summoned Bahamut was just to see what it looked like at 3x speed

The other problem is that the emerald weapon is a level 80 - 90 boss and the ruby weapon is a level 90 - 99 boss, but absolutely nothing else in the game comes close. You can easily finish the game at level 60, and grinding those levels out for just two fights is awful.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

precision posted:

VII starts out with you on fairly even foot with the enemies you fight.

And then you leave Midgar and learn Matra Magic from a mob right outside the city limits. :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I like the new boss music; I didn't at first as I was hoping for a close recreation of the original, but it works really well for the new game after a few listens.

The other problem is that the emerald weapon is a level 80 - 90 boss and the ruby weapon is a level 90 - 99 boss, but absolutely nothing else in the game comes close. You can easily finish the game at level 60, and grinding those levels out for just two fights is awful.

Hey Elentor, show this guy how to one shot the weapons at level 20 or whatever

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kin posted:

I'm trying to remember all the stuff that happens in the original and if there are enough general story beats to stretch it out into 40 odd hours or however long the standard RPG is these days.

Like, that demo was just a demo but i'd say it was only maybe a bit longer than the pace of the original version

Well, the demo is a bit more than an hour. In the original, the same amount of gameplay takes maybe 20 minutes.

It took me 5 hours to finish Midgar and I knew exactly what to do and didn't gently caress around, so at a minimum it'll be 15 hours to do the plot critical stuff

Then with them adding things, I think 20-25 hours will be about the average, which is fine

If it really is 30 or 40 to do everything and the side stuff is fun, I'll be pretty impressed

I mean if the whole game is like the intro, that's pretty nuts, with all the seamless transitions and camera movements and every fight being plot critical

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kin posted:

Part 1 is Midgar.

The original FF7 is 40 hours if you do all the side missions and grinds and everything. But the big thing here is they're massively expanding the content. So its not just an upscale of graphics, they're adding side missions to each part to expand them.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

precision posted:

I mean, that is a tad over-leveled; I'm usually in the high 30's, early 40's at the final boss, at least when I'm skipping content, and I don't really run from random battles.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I will reiterate carry armor is the hardest standard boss in the game

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

No, the demon wall in the Temple of Ancients is

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I don't really remember demon wall in FF7 but gently caress the demon wall in any FF it appears in

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's been a looong time since I played FF7 but I remember the boss of the Shinra mansion being very frustrating.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So I'm getting unreasonably annoyed when I see people talk about the combat in this demo and compare it to XV's combat or say it's the same because I begin to wonder if they also believe... I can't metaphor right now, but two things that are anything but the same, only sharing at most superficial elements.

That said, there is a game this combat is comparable too, that game was never released. This game plays almost exactly how Nomura described wanting vXIII to play. Most notably in the way the game's combat works with ATB combo's and Nomura's own stated desire for player-made combo's in 2011 for vXIII

quote:

* You can combo your attacks across character changes -- that is, you can keep your combo going when you switch the character you're currently controlling. As an example, you can make the scarfaced character do positional damage with his hammer, then switch to Ignis, or you can make the enemy shrink away in fear from Ignis's magic then call in another character to attack.

While it doesn't seem that big, if you go back and watch those trailers and read the interviews around the game it's pretty clear that this is yet another thing from vXIII that Nomura is finally getting to use, no, he is not bitter, why do people keep asking him that?

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Haha one of my college buddies and I still pronounce Rydia differently and laugh about it. He says "rye dee uh" and I say "rid ee uh".

He also never played FF15 so he mispronounces Aranea when we talk about FFRK.

There are some others but whatever. As long as I know who he's taking about I don't care.

Rid ee yah oh rid ee yah i wish i hadn't got rid o' ya..

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Onmi posted:

So I'm getting unreasonably annoyed when I see people talk about the combat in this demo and compare it to XV's combat or say it's the same because I begin to wonder if they also believe... I can't metaphor right now, but two things that are anything but the same, only sharing at most superficial elements.

That said, there is a game this combat is comparable too, that game was never released. This game plays almost exactly how Nomura described wanting vXIII to play. Most notably in the way the game's combat works with ATB combo's and Nomura's own stated desire for player-made combo's in 2011 for vXIII

While it doesn't seem that big, if you go back and watch those trailers and read the interviews around the game it's pretty clear that this is yet another thing from vXIII that Nomura is finally getting to use, no, he is not bitter, why do people keep asking him that?

Can't wait for the secret Yorozora superboss in the remake.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

There better be a time when I can backtrack with my new-found levels and go seal-clubbing on enemies that were once too tough for me to beat.

I'M LOOKING AT YOU, HELL HOUSES

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Captain Foo posted:

He's easily the cheapest, since he can instantly take out two characters and Lapis Laser the other to death.

Macaluso posted:

No, the demon wall in the Temple of Ancients is

Agreed.

RatHat posted:

It's been a looong time since I played FF7 but I remember the boss of the Shinra mansion being very frustrating.

Optional boss, at least.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

No nostalgia for the original but the demo was fun and combat seems already like it has more depth than XV

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Onmi posted:

At the very least they're different enough that the Platinum demo of XV killed any interest I had in the game (which admittedly wasn't much going in) while 7R's combat is p cool. I kinda wish it felt a bit more Souls-y (no iframes on rolls :argh:) and that switching lock-on targets felt less like moving the camera over to the next thing instead of snapping directly to it, but yeah I think this demo plays much better than XV's.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Kin posted:

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/final-fantasy-7-remake-length-chapter-ff7r

quote:

Just how long will FF7 Remake last?

Game Revolution estimates based on hands-on experience with the game that it might be close to 50 or 60 hours. The site points out that it may be shorter for those rushing through the adventure to experience the story, but believe that it could take almost three days to complete for those scouring everything FF7 Remake will have to offer.

Director Yoshinori Kitase confirmed to Game Informer in June 2019 that the amount of content in the first part of FF7 Remake is comparable to a mainline Final Fantasy. 

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I hate the new ATB. Just let me cast a spell or use a loving potion please. I知 trying to NOT die here.

Aside from that I had a good time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RatHat posted:

Lost Number changes his second phase based on the type of damage he sustained in the first

hitting him with physical attacks (which most people do) will turn him into a purple people eater that will mulch the entire party in seconds, but his magic phase is far easier

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Stop making me want to buy a PlayStation

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I hate the new ATB. Just let me cast a spell or use a loving potion please. I’m trying to NOT die here.

Aside from that I had a good time.
Classic mode does that (ATB automatically fills) but shame its stuck on Easy

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So I watched the entirely of that found in translation series by Tim Rogers at Kotaku.

In it he highlights a ton of difference about how the characters, especially Barret and Cloud, come off as very different people in terms of tone, mannerisms, and meaning between the Japanese version and the English version.

If anyone is familiar with this piece, given what you have seen in the demo, are we getting the Japanese interpretation of the characters or the English one?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Philosopher King posted:

So I watched the entirely of that found in translation series by Tim Rogers at Kotaku.

In it he highlights a ton of difference about how the characters, especially Barret and Cloud, come off as very different people in terms of tone, mannerisms, and meaning between the Japanese version and the English version.

If anyone is familiar with this piece, given what you have seen in the demo, are we getting the Japanese interpretation of the characters or the English one?

The Japanese

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Uh so far they seem pretty in line with the English versions to me

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Eh, still not as hard as Pitioss.

I liked Pitioss a lot but tucking it far out of the way and not locking anything important behind it was definitely the right call

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Lost Number is pretty rough if you try to do it ASAP, and I actually found the boss Schizo the two-halved dragon real hard as well when I played it.

Most of FF7 is pretty chill though. Even as someone playing it in 2005 I made dumb mistakes like "Hmm materia lower my stats? I better equip only the bare minimum then" and that's how I ended up with Cure 2 being my best regular spell.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
The hardest mandatory bosses in FFVII for when you fight them, assuming you are 13 years old and don't know how to completely bork JRPGs yet:
  • HeliGunner/Hundred Gunner
  • Demon Wall
  • Schizo
  • Carry Armor

I posted this in another FF thread on SA, but when I was a kid and we first got a PlayStation I had no idea how memory cards worked or what externally saving meant, so I am not exaggerating when I say I have beaten FFVII's first disc maybe fifty or sixty times. I was infuriated that save points did not apparently do anything. Any party wipe meant I started the game completely over so I learned to obsessively grind and bork up the game; I hosed it up so badly that once I figured out that Hypers meant you built Limit faster, I had loving Meteorain to use against Rufus at the end of Midgar. I used to name all the characters after myself and my friends. Final Fantasy VII is a game, y'all.

Related: since Braver is no longer a Limit Break but an ability that Cloud learns, I think this will extrapolate out to some of the other Limits as well. I expect Blade Beam to get the same treatment while Climhazzard probably gets renamed but remains a Limit Break. Not sure how this game is supposed to work with level caps and carrying over your saves - my money is on it not even being possible - but if it is, I wonder if we'll get any other Limit techniques for Cloud within part 1. Probably not? Which is fine, Cross Slash is neat.

My best estimate for how they'll split up the game chunks is... part 1 will end with Cloud and Co. leaving Midgar, and my suspicion that you'll fight Sephiroth at the end of Shinra Tower instead of Rufus is linked to that. It's arguably a better setup for the villain and gives the rest of the party a concrete idea of who they're chasing, because in the original you don't even see a facsimile of Sephiroth until waaaaay later - just dead stuff in his wake (which is admittedly pretty cool). It also allows for the big exposition dump in Kalm to serve a much more valuable purpose of re-introducing wtf happened in part 1 with the added bonus of explaining what the party is doing now, so that makes a lot of sense. Part 1 will be the installment with the most Totally Original Content that didn't derive from FFVII, which will invariably piss a lot of people off.

Part 2 will go from Kalm to Rocket Town, just so you'll have all the party members you're going to get and you get another climax-into-breather moment to pause the story's action with the crashing of the Tiny Bronco. I expect Yuffie and Vincent to no longer be optional party members but mandatory recruits, and you'll get them in Junon and Nibelheim respectively. Expanded side activities, some mini-games in the Gold Saucer, just a widening of the series' overall scope. There won't be a traditional overworld map like in the original, but a series of linked open-area fields a la FFX and FFXII, which will invariably piss a lot of people off.

Part 3 will go from Rocket Town to Mideel and end with the downer note of Cloud being catatonic, which will be a double gut-punch on account of the fact that Aerith is also dead and the WEAPONs are awake. Our party is at its lowest point in the hero's journey and all seems lost. This will be the Empire Strikes Back of the mini-franchise and its release date will be 2031, which means a not insignificant number of people who played part 1 will be IRL dead. Memento mori. It'll be the killer app for the Sony version of Stadia and no physical copies will exist, which will invariably piss a lot of people off.

Part 4 will be from Huge Materia to the end game, and there will be a colossal amount of fanservice and flashbacks. Returning to Midgar will have a lot of "remember those lovely Sonic's new friends guys we met way back in 2020 in part 1? let's see how they're doing" montages. There will be at least one mechanical change to the game that everybody will hate, like super floaty air combat being the main method of fighting enemies or something. Tetsuya Nomura will return to direct unless he's also dead, and this will invariably piss a lot of people off.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

I liked Pitioss a lot but tucking it far out of the way and not locking anything important behind it was definitely the right call

when they finally did add dialogue to it they really should have made noctis' tone throughout one of terrified bewilderment

"Noct, you were in there for three days! What the hell happened?"
"I don't know!"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Why do you assume it値l be 4 parts instead of 2 or 3?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RatHat posted:

midgar in the original is a 5-hour section of a 50-60 hour game. even if you rightly assume many parts of the original will be compressed or removed entirely, it's not realistic to expect all that remaining content to be compressed into a single title

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

:signings:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

RatHat posted:

Because FFVIIR is a license for SquareEnix to print money, and it behooves them to stretch it for as long as they possibly can. Lining their pockets with FFVIIR money and gacha games theoretically would allow them to take bigger risks and gamble on the mainline entries (a hypothetical FFXVI?) but they probably won't, they'll just collect all of the money in the entire world. Consider that FFVIIR part 1 is just going from game start -> Midgar exit and it maybe sets the pace for how much content you can expect to be in each installment. They could probably cut it to 3, but if you do the logical stopping point for part 2 is Aerith dying and that makes part 2 really long relatively speaking, and part 3 would have to be from City of the Ancients to end game, which would also be pretty beefy assuming they're not going to straight out cut content from the original, which maybe they will.

The smart money is that it will be at least 3 parts, maybe 4. Any more than that stretches credulity, and 2 parts is simply not enough to cover the original based on the tech they're using presently and the model they've built the game upon. Having part 1 be Midgar and part 2 be everything else would be crazy pills imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Philosopher King posted:

Here's a secret:

They're not that different.