Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I was definitely going to play chaos dot trickster, but... spellslinger....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tenzarin posted:

Baron is the op thing about necro, too much self healing for almost no effort.

You don't need healing if you have infinity ES, dawg.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Chaos damage

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Toshimo posted:

You don't need healing if you have infinity ES, dawg.

Spirit offering is only good for like a 2k es buffer, its nice but the ability to heal from zombie leach is far stronger.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Offering nerfs would be funny because it's actually one of the very few cool things about playing ascendant.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I had like 6k energy shield that healed several thousand per second due to Spirit Offering, my actual health bar almost never got touched.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's me, I'm the mad woman who ran bone offering.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cinara posted:

I had like 6k energy shield that healed several thousand per second due to Spirit Offering, my actual health bar almost never got touched.

Big same.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Elentor posted:

It's me, I'm the mad woman who ran bone offering.

I remember when max block necro was somewhat meta

They're definitely nerfing offerings, but I wonder if it will be in the form of a cooldown or just not allowing them to be triggered at all.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Grimoire posted:

Full phys champ summoner can be good, yea. Look at the new double banner chest - should be bis. I'm thinking champion skellimancer, if only cuz I'm tired of necroing/managuarding everything.

edit: about your build - drop brinksmanship, impale nodes, they do little for you and don't apply to minions. Get your hp above 200%. Geoff's + shaper's touch is still good, but consider planning with cheapo rares. Finally, emperor's x is probably not attainable early, and violent dead is deprecated and no longer in leagues

double edit: do not count on awakened gems. Drop AC in favor of tribal fury annoint (NEVER use ac in dom blow, it isn't just a dead link but actually reduces minion damage)

OK, everyone is giving me great feedback. It feels like this build can work.

Here's what I'm thinking as a starting point: https://pastebin.com/2vvt9MkB

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I for one hope they slide significant necro archetype nerfs into the patch notes regardless of whether they're doing a balance manifesto.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Back in Blight I ran Flesh Offering because gotta go fast

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How do you do an offering with VD. Aren’t they competing for corpses or is there enough ?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

Does spellsling VD “consume” corpses ? For the necro ascended.

I suppose it would work

Yes, but you will not get too much benefit from it because of the 60 VD orb cap. (unleveled) Spellsling is 2 casts a second, times 9 VD orbs with Spell Cascade for 81 orbs every 4.5 seconds (the max lifetime of a VD orb). So if your VD orbs aren't hitting something very close to you (i.e. you're trying to fight something from range) then they might start to explode from the 60 orb limit before reaching the enemy. This gets aggravated when the Spellsling levels and the cooldown decreases.

The obvious answer is to not support Desecrate nor VD with Spell Cascade, but then you're consuming only a third of the corpses, hence a third of the attacks and Corpse Pact boost.

Corpse Pact was powerful with Poet's Pen because it increased your attack speed so fast that it would get near the 150ms cooldown for either wand (i.e. 12+ attacks per second). But of course that's completely nerfed by the 60 orb limit now, if you're ramped up on Poet's Pens then cascaded orbs will only reach stuff within melee range before they self-destruct (especially since they stand still for about 0.5 seconds on spawn before their heat seeking AI activates).

At the end of the day, you will be able to easily sync your attack speed with Spellsling's cooldown on any character, so going any faster than that sync with Corpse Pact will not help, in fact it will hurt because you'd skip casts. The only real benefit from Corpse Pact then is that since you're ramped up on Cast Speed, you can bang out a bunch of self-cast spells like multiple Flame Dash very quickly.

This coming from someone who has like... ten VD builds.

What I will probably do is just take my classic Templar Blocking Managuardian package with Aegis Aurora, annoint Transfiguration, grab Wandslinger, and see if I can go with Spell Cascade Spellsling VD, using a seperate Bodyswap or Flame Dash to intentionally close the gap and facetank while the shorter range Orb Limit explosions are wrecking.

euphronius posted:

How do you do an offering with VD. Aren’t they competing for corpses or is there enough ?

If you're Necro VD, you would have your corpse generation and VD package (2 poet's, or CwC Desecrate/VD, or CoC Desecrate/VD) then you would have a CwDT with Spirit Offering and Desecrate on it's own.

If your corpses are coming from Scold's Bridle damage, then you would use a CwDT Unearth+GMP+GreaterVolley for 9 VD corpses, and a CwDT Desecrate+SpiritOffering for the offering. The Spirit Offering always triggers in sync with the Desecrate so it will always get 5 to consume without taking the Unearth corpses.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 3, 2020

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

how bout that blood offering, where are the blood offering fans at

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Dead cause they tried to use Blood Offering.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Is Wandslinger + Kinetic bolt going to apply spell damage boosts twice to attacks?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

euphronius posted:

VD can only consume 3 corpses per cast, 9 with spell cascade. Offerings consume up to 5 corpses. Desecrate spawns 5 corpses, 15 with spell cascade. Most VD builds don't use spell cascade on it anymore because of the ball limit (and the FPS limit if your computer sucks), so you end up with more than enough corpses, especially when you consider the ones from mobs you kill.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Atlas Changes Manifesto
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2781808

tl;dr is suck it, map drops were way too high, and I agree with them, it removed all the impact of places that normally rewarded maps. Even without the Awakening completion bonus I think map drops are STILL going to be too high now.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 3, 2020

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Lmao who gives a poo poo about "the impact of map drops"
Full map communism now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

VD can only consume 3 corpses per cast, 9 with spell cascade. Offerings consume up to 5 corpses. Desecrate spawns 5 corpses, 15 with spell cascade. Most VD builds don't use spell cascade on it anymore because of the ball limit (and the FPS limit if your computer sucks), so you end up with more than enough corpses, especially when you consider the ones from mobs you kill.

Thanks mate

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

Desecrate spawns 10 corpses with spell cascade, not 15.

5 of the 15 corpses instantly despawn because Desecrate has it's own 10-corpse limit. Unearth has another separate 10-corpse limit.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Pour one out for all the people crying about the loss of the ability to farm the same map over and over.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
Yo Dahbadu, here's a different take on champ summoner focusing on sentinels and relics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNyAxoifKUw

Ignore the budget, that's from all of the defensive poo poo layering with divine flesh - you can hit 5 mil dps or so with 50c or so. This'll prob be my backup starter

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm not surprised they're nerfing map drops a bit, it was pretty obvious that with the new atlas system making big changes they wouldn't really be sure in advance what the drop rate would be like in practice.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

qnqnx posted:

Lmao who gives a poo poo about "the impact of map drops"
Full map communism now.

this

maps shouldn't be valuable at loving all

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I never tried it this league but can you stack those +1 to map monster level orbs? Wouldn't that give a lot more XP?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I have like 100 more t16s than I could ever possibly run on my own. by my last few weeks, in the league, I wouldn't even pick up t15s or below because why the heck bother. I think they can probably drop a big fat stack of nerfs on map drop rates and still come out okay

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

quote:

If there are any other problematic mods other than ailments, please let us know and we'll look at those too.

Ahahahahahahahaha

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I mean what are some other ones? The ailment one sucks but it's not like it's unprecedented that a map mod locks out certain builds.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

MMF Freeway posted:

I mean what are some other ones? The ailment one sucks but it's not like it's unprecedented that a map mod locks out certain builds.

I'm just laughing because almost half of the map mod pool looks out a build in some way.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I did not enjoy having a stack of phys reflect maps left over at the end of the league but frankly, whatever.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

I was definitely going to play chaos dot trickster, but... spellslinger....

Get this: essence drain with contagion linked to spell splinger.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
The thing I'm struggling with when trying to think of spell slinger builds: A lot of spells have a cast speed that's not far from half a second (like contagion), which means you're better off just linking Faster Casting and using that mana reservation for more damage. Unless you're getting something from the wand attacks (Power Siphon, Frenzy, lots of damage on the wand), you're better off self-casting.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Well the CD starts at .5 sec but scales down with gem levels to some unknown amount. Plus you can trigger multiple spells. But yeah I think you want to get at least some amount of damage from the wand attack itself.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

The only real difference I see is that the ailment one is another layer on top of map mods that already affect the build. Just because a build is ignite based doesn't make elemental reflect not still deadly to it. You could compare it to something like the resist or armor mods, except resists also still affect ignite/poison. There are not really other mods that target non-ailment builds in the same way.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
They probably need to expand the map affix pool at some point to provide friction to other mechanics. There are a decent number of offensive/defensive multipliers that are completely agnostic to them. Having an affix that ailment builds have to reroll doesn’t matter as much if there’s a larger pool to reroll into.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just realized that this is going to be the second Friday the 13th league start day in a row :spooky:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Cannot gain charges
Monsters steal your charges
Monsters have X% elemental penetration
Your critical strike chance is unlucky
Your critical strikes do not always apply ailments
Monsters cannot be shocked/chilled (separate roll from cannot be ignited)
Your skills have increased mana cost
Movement speed cannot exceed X%
Every x seconds, remove a random flask charge
Cannot gain flask charges from normal monsters
Your minions deal X% less damage
Your skills have X% increased cooldown recovery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Fister Roboto posted:

Just realized that this is going to be the second Friday the 13th league start day in a row :spooky:

I'm taking that day off... Not necessarily to start the league asap but it doesn't hurt. :woop: