Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I really want to see the inevitable final duel between her and Incubus, if only because there’s a non-zero chance that it involves Throne itself getting cleaved in half this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, I really want to see the inevitable final duel between her and Incubus, if only because there’s a non-zero chance that it involves Throne itself getting cleaved in half this time around.

It's something that would be awesome so it's probably bound to happen

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's something that would be awesome so it's probably bound to happen

On the other hand, it is “the Sword of Maybe”.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mr. Lobe posted:

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1234899769073586178

interesting new insight into royalty. this would seem to suggest Maya is more royal than the Demiurges.

I guess that isn't that surprising.

https://twitter.com/BahuWrites/status/1234918183544352768?s=19

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Lawful Good can be a form of Royalty.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Maya can't beat Incubus. He has a key, she doesn't, and those with that kind of power simply can't be fought.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

wiegieman posted:

Maya can't beat Incubus. He has a key, she doesn't, and those with that kind of power simply can't be fought.

Didn't Clo steal a key from Mammon?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Potato Salad posted:

Didn't Clo steal a key from Mammon?

Cio stole a little bit of power, through trickery, from a senile old dragon.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

wiegieman posted:

Well certainly not with that attitude they can't

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

wiegieman posted:

Solomon loving ripped a key out of a dude's head because he was so good at punching

Zoss doesn't currently have a key and appears to have ignored his own death

Maya doesn't currently have a key and can take on angels. That, and she managed to get a key in the first place, and clearly Incubus managed to take it without having a key himself, so...

It's clear a key is powerful but not the be-all-end-all. That said, it's clear she has some sort of plan involving Allison that she hasn't enacted yet.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

wiegieman posted:

Not with that attitude

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Gog ate a demiurge to get her key

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

It's this.

Also, having a key doesn't make you any harder to sneak up behind and shiv to death if you're not prepared for it. What makes the Demiurges so terrifying is that they're not the strongest, most capable, or most mystically aware demiurges from the Universal War. They're the ones who, despite everything, survived and won. If anything, they're weaker than plenty of the demiurges who died hard in the war, but they're survivors.

They also were strategic enough to make the Pact when there were just seven left. Imagine being the eighth remaining demiurge, a star-browed god in the flesh who has conquered countless worlds, and realizing that you're surplus to requirements for the Pact of the Seven Part World.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

wiegieman posted:

And this is why you will be a pawn and will never achieve royalty.

no matter how much power or keys Incubus has he can't never beat Maya. Its not because Maya is more powerful, its because he cares too much and she cares too little.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

ElMaligno posted:

And this is why you will be a pawn and will never achieve royalty.

no matter how much power or keys Incubus has he can't never beat Maya. Its not because Maya is more powerful, its because he cares too much and she cares too little.

Nah, he beat her incredibly hard. He shook her so much she has spent centuries at minimum thinking about how much she wants to kill him, and he's still alive.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

Nah, he beat her incredibly hard. He shook her so much she has spent centuries at minimum thinking about how much she wants to kill him, and he's still alive.

Did he? I haven't kept up with all the backstory and side stories but it seems like she just left the middle army after becoming disillusioned with all of it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Incubus never beat Maya, she just gave him the key and hosed off, denying him the victory he so desperately needed to fix his crippling self image problem. Maya wants to brutally murder him because he murdered Meti.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

If Incubus had taken Maya's key through combat he'd be acknowledged as an equal by the other demiurges, but he isn't, because he didn't. She left it behind. She later realized what she had enabled by doing so, and now lives in regret of allowing him access to such power.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Joe Slowboat posted:

If he beat her that hard she'd be dead.

M_Gargantua posted:

Incubus never beat Maya, she just gave him the key and hosed off, denying him the victory he so desperately needed to fix his crippling self image problem. Maya wants to brutally murder him because he murdered Meti.

If she hated him that much she never would have given him the key (unless he acquired the key before he killed Meti).

The other demiurges seem to consider him as having "stolen" the throne. I think it's likely he found some way to trick her and steal it - maybe she intended to give it to someone else, or destroy it, and he managed to take it instead.

All that said, he IS blind and covered in scars. Maybe from a battle with Maya?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

UNLESS: maya didn't want the key anymore and knew incubus well enough that the worst thing she could do to him would be to give him power everyone would know he hadn't earned

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I doubt Incubus tricked the key out of anyone - that would be too close to legitimately earning it; seizing it in a battle of will.

Most likely Maya discarded it and Incubus just took it before anyone else got the chance.

Meti would be horribly disappointed in them both though. They hate each other, yet they have both survived for eons.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Incubus didn't beat Maya, he beat Meti, one of the most Royal people we have seen in this setting, and fed her body to the dogs. If Incubus had ever beaten Maya she would be dead.

Also rereading that section I don't think I realized that Maya's flashback happened at literally the same spot. Or those bells are fairly common I guess.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 3, 2020

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1234899769073586178

interesting new insight into royalty. this would seem to suggest Maya is more royal than the Demiurges.

I guess that isn't that surprising.

Kill Six Billionaires

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Kill Six Billionaires

that's it??

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So, cool thing:

This comic and its attached text retroactively make the absolute steaming, radiating impatience in this comic from six years prior significantly more cool and makes the pose being struck significantly more emotionally coherent.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Mottom "earned" her key by killing her husband in his sleep, trickery would probably be considered a respectable way of seizing the power.

I would assume that Maya let Incubus have the key and that for that matter Meti let him kill her.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

My point is that Maya did not get the better half of that interaction; I've been a loud supporter of the 'Maya hosed off' theory.

But Incubus being illegitimate has nothing to do with the demiurges having a genuine set of criteria for a Real Demiurge, and everything to do with his own psychological issues. I'm on record saying Maya ding-dong ditching Incubus and leaving the key behind after he killed Meti (who is strongly implied to have trained him to be good enough to genuinely kill her, on purpose, for Maya's education) did a huge number on him... but it also hosed up Maya.

She's spent centuries in bitterness, stewing. "God will never forgive me for the hate I feel for that man."

But Incubus is still alive.

Hence, Incubus beat her - she retreated, she flinched, she hesitated.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I don't think Maya understood what a monster Incubus was until after he killed Meti, and she sure as poo poo wouldn't have let him get the key after that, so the order of events was probably Maya gives up the key -> Incubus takes it and kills Meti (who probably let him because gently caress you Incubus)

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

Hence, Incubus beat her - she retreated, she flinched, she hesitated.
Nobody beat the other then. Maya abdicated her throne and became a wandering drunk stewing on her own rage. But Incubus is so consumed with winning and being respected that he's about to self destruct himself and the rest of the demiurges purely because he never beat Maya legitimately. And I suspect he never properly killed Meti either and it's likely she let herself be killed as a lesson or because she was just tired of it all as well.

This is just the universal war in microcosm. Nobody actually won because the last people standing are just in a holding pattern until it all comes crashing down. Difference is that this time Incubus has more to lose than Maya since he still has his inflated ego and aspirations of attaining true victory.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Also rereading that section I don't think I realized that Maya's flashback happened at literally the same spot. Or those bells are fairly common I guess.

Yeah it's the same place, it's much more obvious on a previous page: https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/king-of-swords-6-56/

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Patware posted:

UNLESS: maya didn't want the key anymore and knew incubus well enough that the worst thing she could do to him would be to give him power everyone would know he hadn't earned

I think so. This also makes her a very good swordswoman

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah it's the same place, it's much more obvious on a previous page: https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/king-of-swords-6-56/

lol I glanced through that page too fast it seems

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Shoehead posted:

I think so. This also makes her a very good swordswoman

a cut that never stops cutting

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Patware posted:

that's it??

Gotta start somewhere.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Do we know what happens if you fall off the edge of Throne?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Joe Slowboat posted:

But Incubus being illegitimate has nothing to do with the demiurges having a genuine set of criteria for a Real Demiurge, and everything to do with his own psychological issues.

Mottem literally calls him an illegitimate usurper and he immediately has an outburst that they all constantly remind him that he didn't earn his position. He absolutely is not considered a legitimate demiurge, that isn't all in his head.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Who What Now posted:

Mottem literally calls him an illegitimate usurper and he immediately has an outburst that they all constantly remind him that he didn't earn his position. He absolutely is not considered a legitimate demiurge, that isn't all in his head.

Yeah, Jaggs even dunks on him in his own kingdom with the whole "this was never your throne, little king" line.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Paramemetic posted:

Yeah, Jaggs even dunks on him in his own kingdom with the whole "this was never your throne, little king" line.

Even Jadis got in on it, and she's an entombed corpse who rarely speaks above an unintelligible whisper!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
To be fair, Jadis knows that baiting Incubus is probably the best way to get her killed, which is basically the only thing she wants.