Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Kin posted:

I'm pretty sure i have this on already, but it's like it doesn't recycle the whole thing.

So it'll take a 200 boost and the auto apply the 200, then then recycled 100, 50, 20, 10 and 5, but it (more often than not) leaves the recycled 2 or recycled 1 at the end of doing all of that. It's like there's a limit to the number of recycled boosts it auto applies.

I think by that point I had 1-5 filtered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Recycling doesn't count as drops and will still have them turn into 5/2/1 if you do it manually tho

Not sure what could be happening to your boosts, have you checked if those are really leftover from recycling and/or the settings are fine?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Kin posted:

I'm pretty sure i have this on already, but it's like it doesn't recycle the whole thing.

So it'll take a 200 boost and the auto apply the 200, then then recycled 100, 50, 20, 10 and 5, but it (more often than not) leaves the recycled 2 or recycled 1 at the end of doing all of that. It's like there's a limit to the number of recycled boosts it auto applies.

Are you manually boosting an item that's being capped out? If you shove 200, then the 100 recycle, the 50 recycle, but then the item has max power, it'll leave the 20 boost in your inventory (for manual boost).

Autoboost shoves any remainders into your infinity cube (special being wasted)

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Devor posted:

Autoboost shoves any remainders into your infinity cube (special being wasted)

Special actually does 50/50 p/t to the cube

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Eldercain posted:

Special actually does 50/50 p/t to the cube

Huh, so it does. I swore I tested that earlier and didn't see any movement. Maybe just a rounding issue for tiny benefits when I tested last time.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Weird, if it's just a me thing it must be something I'm missing.

Basically, I'm idling in the BDW for example, and my inventory is filling up with level 200 and 500 boosts because I've got everything else filtered to off.

The auto boost kicks in 30 minutes later (because I've maxed out the challenge) and some of the boosts outright disappear, but many have been replaced by boosts of 1 or 2.

My gear isn't maxed by a long shot as I still need about 15 million boost points.

When I do a manual boost I could see the recycling kick in so the 500 dropped to 200 then 100 etc. Basically I assumed the auto boost was doing something similar every 30 minutes to make sure all recycled boosts were applied but it's stopping short for some reason.

All I know is that I come back to my inventory from time to time and it's filled with 1 and 2 boosts as a result.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Go to the options menu (gear in the bottom left), and turn on "Autoboost Recycled Boosts".

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jabor posted:

Go to the options menu (gear in the bottom left), and turn on "Autoboost Recycled Boosts".

Weird, i thought it was on already because some of the boosts were completely disappearing. But that's done the trick, thanks.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Kin posted:

Weird, i thought it was on already because some of the boosts were completely disappearing. But that's done the trick, thanks.

You need to level boost recycle to 100% still then pretty sure it's a challenge for some of it and XP or AP for the rest been awhile and won't have access to th game for a bit.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Jabor posted:

Wow, I've been playing for months and had no idea that option existed at all. I don't know if there's a better way to signpost it, but at least now I won't have that same issue of being left with 1/2/5s clogging up the inventory after an autoboost.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

pixaal posted:

You need to level boost recycle to 100% still then pretty sure it's a challenge for some of it and XP or AP for the rest been awhile and won't have access to th game for a bit.

its split 50-50 from the experience shop and basic challenges

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
little progress update on game #2:

Numbers do indeed go up in the code, and you can see them better now. Also a larger collection of things that are possible to make!

There are locked tiles now possible on maps, with a material cost to permanently unlock and help make more stuff.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
Update for Return of Hero. The game has a lot of technical issues, a lot of balance issues, and the energy system is very unpopular. Making revisions to those things is a significant time investment, and right now I'm way too busy with my regular job to be committing myself to something like that. I had it unpublished for now. I might return at some point in the future with a version 2.

Sorry to disappoint everyone (again).

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

shs posted:

Update for Return of Hero. The game has a lot of technical issues, a lot of balance issues, and the energy system is very unpopular. Making revisions to those things is a significant time investment, and right now I'm way too busy with my regular job to be committing myself to something like that. I had it unpublished for now. I might return at some point in the future with a version 2.

Idle incremental game development in a nutshell, prestige your game for a better version.
I kinda liked it to be honest.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Don't beat yourself up about it - just by unpublishing it you're already putting more work into not working on it than most idle game devs.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
Thanks for sharing your games with us shs, I've enjoyed both of the games of yours that I've spent time with. I look forward to your next iteration.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, the root idea - multiple interlocking layers that feed into each other - was neat, just the energy system sucked rear end.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I did not get very far but I enjoyed what I played, its a shame you're unable to carry it on because its the kind of game that would really shine a few balance changes.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So, I've started having issues with the cloud saving in NGU Idle on Kong. If I click the "Cloud Save" button, I no longer get the tooltip that says it was successful, and at random other points during gameplay I'll get a spontaneous tooltip that says cloud saving failed. Also, when loading the game, the cloud save looks to be unusually far behind the autosave.

Any idea what's up or what I can do about it?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

shs posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I liked it.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, I was having a good time with Return of Hero. Honestly, the energy system was mostly fine, with the only major exception being prestige energy. I was only on the third layer and it was already feeling super restrictive, I can only imagine how it would feel later on.

But hey, you got me interested. If you come back with another game in the future, I'll gladly play it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Every game of yours I've liked the core of there's just always one nagging detail you need to work out. It's a beta there is zero wrong with working on fixing the broken system and forcing testers to restart every week to make sure things are smooth. You'll get less testers but your more likely to end up with a viable product. I missed this one I was actually planning on checking it out tomorrow and was checking for the link, guess it's dead ah well.

Don't be hard on yourself, every single game is going to have a feature or two that comes up during development that testers hate, the difference between a good and bad dev is a good dev will gut the system and try something else, a bad dev will force the system on everyone and even double down until the only people left have Stockholm. You went with option C) back to the drawing board. Which isn't always a bad plan if you considered it a critical system and would find working on the project without it to not be fun.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Seriously, shs, I've enjoyed pretty much all of your games, and I was disappointed when I had to stop playing the old incompatible ones.

The Spaceport and mmo ones were really neat especially!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Return of hero is good stuff, don't let the haters hate on you. I made it to layer 4 and enjoyed checking in on the game. I'll do a write up with all my biased opinions and suggestions later but the overall verdict is positive. Keep making wacky idle games with a zillion currencies plz.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
People being mad on the internet doesn't really faze me. I've been exposed to so much of it over the years that it's hard to take seriously.

The real issue is that developing games isn't my job, it's something I do in my free time. I actually have a regular job where I make a whole lot more money than I do from games. There is some downtime between projects every few months, which is usually when build something new, but on most weeks I'm usually working 40+ or sometimes 50+ hours. I can squeeze in minor fixes and adjustments without trouble, and new content that doesn't radically change the game isn't too bad, but trying to change and rebalance the core of the game (edit: and find the technical problems that a lot of people are suffering from) while people are playing and I'm working 40+ hours at my regular job? That's too much for me. Something has to give, and the hobby project that, once you factor in development costs, actually loses money isn't going to be a huge priority.

shs fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 3, 2020

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

NGU: I just started farming It Hungers and christ, I am never going to replace the Ultimate Chestplate, am I?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Zokari posted:

NGU: I just started farming It Hungers and christ, I am never going to replace the Ultimate Chestplate, am I?

Apparently not

pelao
Apr 21, 2010

Zokari posted:

The name is some kind of clue I guess?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I only use it in my Wishes and my Hacks sets

For NGU and Max Adv stats other stuff is better

(and i obviously don't use it in my Ygg or Gold sets)

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

shs posted:

People being mad on the internet doesn't really faze me. I've been exposed to so much of it over the years that it's hard to take seriously.

You should at least put in a watermark in your games that says "This game will disappear in a couple of days so don't bother playing".
I have to wonder if your day job is being an US president.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Stopsign does the same thing and he has a pretty good following. He also does all his stuff open source so there's usually a community continuation for a bit on his good experiments. I'm not sure he's been linked at all in this thread yet I know he was in the last one quiet a bit. He hasn't really done anything at all in the last year though. https://stopsign.github.io/

Nothing wrong with trying out a bunch of starts to get a good solid foundation. At some point you gotta realize it will never be perfect to start with and to find one that has traction and start polishing.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

pixaal posted:

Stopsign does the same thing and he has a pretty good following. He also does all his stuff open source so there's usually a community continuation for a bit on his good experiments.

Not only are those games still available and playable, but so is the source. shs simply deleted the game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
No one owns anything to you, if they felt like deleting the game it's their own business.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Hey guys, I got some heroin for you all to try.
Oh you like it? Cool cool, here's some more.
Ehh, nevermind, I'm gonna stop giving it to you, have fun!

Just yanking your chain shs, like I said before, I've had fun with your games, it was fun while it was up.

Looking forward to your next one when you get some time.

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~

Ineptitude posted:

I only use it in my Wishes and my Hacks sets

For NGU and Max Adv stats other stuff is better

(and i obviously don't use it in my Ygg or Gold sets)

Sounds like you play the game a lot more actively than me. I can’t be bothered with separate NGU and Adventure Stat sets.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Shadowstar posted:

Sounds like you play the game a lot more actively than me. I can’t be bothered with separate NGU and Adventure Stat sets.

i only just recently added a 3rd loadout for hacks vs wishes and even that's like, 1-2 accessories.

anytime someone mentions a gold set i just think "gently caress a lotta that"

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Yeah i never bothered with gear sets either until i discovered the gear optimizer

Just input your gear and your priority and it will generate the best gear setup for that feature.
I have 6 different gear sets, Ygg, Hacks, Wishes, Ngu, Gold and max adv stats.

Ygg before eating fruit (makes a huge difference)
Gold at the start of a rebirth (makes a huge difference in the level of gold digger you can use)
Then whichever set that matches my goal for the rebirth

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Exile v4 down! gently caress that grind!

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~
I mean I have seed and gold builds for the very end and beginning of my rebirths but I pretty much never change out equipment in the middle of a rebirth because I hate waiting for bars to refill and reassigning all my E/M/R3

I just split most of my resources between hacks, wishes and NGUs and wait

Shadowstar fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ineptitude posted:

Yeah i never bothered with gear sets either until i discovered the gear optimizer

Just input your gear and your priority and it will generate the best gear setup for that feature.
I have 6 different gear sets, Ygg, Hacks, Wishes, Ngu, Gold and max adv stats.

Ygg before eating fruit (makes a huge difference)
Gold at the start of a rebirth (makes a huge difference in the level of gold digger you can use)
Then whichever set that matches my goal for the rebirth

You don't have a questing set for doing major quests?