Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I thought the initial reveal for Far Cry 4 was amazing (up in the mountains then free-falling down and attacking a base) and it was really disappointing to see the side-by-side comparison of how much the final game was downgraded and nothing at all like that. If it had been I'd have bought it just for enjoying the scenery and going hang gliding.

That reminds me of FF15 actually, did the final game ever actually feature the gameplay from the demo they showed with the characters fighting inside a building as water swirled through the air and there was a giant sea creature outside? It looked incredible but then I saw the demo was just wandering around empty fields and wondered what went wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

SUNKOS posted:

That reminds me of FF15 actually, did the final game ever actually feature the gameplay from the demo they showed with the characters fighting inside a building as water swirled through the air and there was a giant sea creature outside? It looked incredible but then I saw the demo was just wandering around empty fields and wondered what went wrong.

That part of the story does happen in the game but is definitely not as cool-looking as it appeared in previews; though you do get to fly a bit during it.

So if you're asking "are there any bits where it's like Final Fantasy meets Uncharted in terms of gameplay setpieces" no, not really.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

It was action packed, but the best one is still probably 3, or the caveman one, with a special mention for the Tron sci fi alien one
Blood Dragon was pretty fun

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

I thought the initial reveal for Far Cry 4 was amazing (up in the mountains then free-falling down and attacking a base) and it was really disappointing to see the side-by-side comparison of how much the final game was downgraded and nothing at all like that. If it had been I'd have bought it just for enjoying the scenery and going hang gliding.

that "demo" was literally just a pre-rendered cutscene mocked up to look like gameplay

it was a favorite tactic of SE back in those days, they pulled the same poo poo with FFXIII

Zushio
May 8, 2008
New Dawn was a lot of fun, and if you did a lot collection you could break the power curve over your knee.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Blood Dragon was the best, there was a “flip the bird” button and that’s all it needs to qualify

Imagine if Bloodborne had that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

moving through a world that looked like what Blood Dragon looked like actually made me ill

Primal wins on pets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A-YQrbn-JQ

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Imagine if Bloodborne had that

Hold the touchpad and raise both middle fingers

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Come to the Greenwich Odeon I have no idea if our screens are better but it’s three bus stops away and tickets are £6 and cool guy goon Escobarbarian works there!

e: Prince Charles Cinema is the best cinema in the UK and I really hope to get to work there one day!

My bestie lived in Greenwich and we visited the Odeon alllll the time :D I may have somehow passed you at work and never realised :D

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Downing a bunch of helicopters as I stealth killed my way up to the very top of the Joseph Seed statue then wingsuiting from there into a lake a mile away only to be immediately captured seconds after landing was the perfect 'drat this game is cool'/'gently caress I hate this game' yinyang moment

At least they waited until you landed. I got kidnapped while flying at maximum altitude with no one around me for as far as I could see.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

My favourite part of Far Cry 5 was the mission where the cult has stolen the guy's bright yellow plane and you head off break into their compound to steal it back which is like 2 miles away at best. Then during your daring escape flight the game asks you to fly through a bunch of smoke rings 'to lose them' and takes you on a 5+ minute flight only to loop back to the dude's house which is again, 2 miles away from the compound.

I don't know if it's just me but if I were a cult having stolen a fairly distinctive yellow plane from just down the road and seen it go missing, I'd ................probably go back down the road to see if it's been stolen back :v:

I liked aspects of the game and enjoyed roaming around, the partners you can have are probably the best bit (the bear and mountain lion being the best) but the guns in it all felt a bit poo poo to me to the point where I just ended up using the bow more than anything else. I ended up getting bored before finishing it too.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I would like less mook spawns in Farcry 5. I avoid the roads at all times at this point.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
more Bloodborne chat: went through Cainhurst but died a lot to the boss there, his last phase is a bastard. Decided to come back later and did Nightmare Frontier instead, that boss took me a couple tries but wasn't too bad. Did a couple chalice dungeons too, I had only done the first one so the next two were trivial at my level, but they are a great source of items. Finally went back to Unseen Village and beat the three hunters that were wrecking me before, then it was pretty smooth sailing to the boss there. Now I'm at the start of Nightmare of Mensis - is there something I can do about the Frenzy that builds up as I run around (i.e. kill something) or do I just need to suck it up and run through? I made it to the first lamp but stopped there so I don't know if it's still an issue after that.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 4, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

gey muckle mowser posted:

is there something I can do about the Frenzy that builds up as I run around (i.e. kill something) or do I just need to suck it up and run through? I made it to the first lamp but stopped there so I don't know if it's still an issue after that.

Eventually, but not from where you are right now. Just run from cover to cover until you get into the castle.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
If I recall correctly lowering your Insight will reduce the rate at which Frenzy accrues. Mine was at 99 when I got to a certain area and Frenzy shot up like a rocket.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There is at least one armor set available to you right now for free that reduces frenzy build up to the point of basically being able to totally ignore it, it’s in the Forest.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I’m going through the Uncharted Trilogy starting with Drakes Fortune as it was one of the freebies from PS+.

It’s pretty bad, I’m guessing it got the praise it did when it came out because there was gently caress all good exclusives on the PS3 at the time. Heard a lot of people say Uncharted 2 is miles better so fingers crossed.

It’s mercifully short though, I’m probably 4 hours in and at 69% completion.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Nice 🙂

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I’m going through the Uncharted Trilogy starting with Drakes Fortune as it was one of the freebies from PS+.

It’s pretty bad, I’m guessing it got the praise it did when it came out because there was gently caress all good exclusives on the PS3 at the time. Heard a lot of people say Uncharted 2 is miles better so fingers crossed.

It’s mercifully short though, I’m probably 4 hours in and at 69% completion.

Uncharted 1 is a fun game that absolutely requires you to learn its quirks, like how melee combat is extremely useful and gets you more ammo, and like how Drake is usually more accurate when hipfiring at a dead run than he is aiming down sights.

Uncharted 2 is a fun game that plays exactly like you expect it to and doesn't mess around with any of that bullshit. It's a way better experience overall, but you won't regret playing through UC1 first with how much weight the story and characters have in the series.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I have news and also a question.

Ryu ga Gotoku 7 is 30% off currently in all regions it's available. There are Japanese, Chinese and Korean versions.

My one concern is that I'd like to get one of the versions which isn't in Japanese at its core, not only because they're about 25% cheaper, but also because the amount you have to spend on Japanese PSN (6500 yen) is hugely impractical from a points code standpoint, would have to get a 5000 and 3000 yen code (or a 5000 yen and then two 1000 yen codes but then I'm paying for three "service fees") whereas if I can buy it on the Hong Kong store I can get a 300HKD card once and be done with it. But I do want the game to actually be playable in Japanese, even if it means setting the console language to Japanese. Anyone know if the Chinese version of the game runs in Japanese if you set your console's language to Japanese?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Remember when Far Cry 5 joked about the piss tape

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No because I don't play awful games!!!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Remember when Far Cry 5 joked about the piss tape

Far Cry's vision of the future looking pretty optimistic right now tbh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also a reminder that the enemies in Uncharted games are not bullet sponges, all unarmored non-magical enemies die to a pistol headshot or burst of rifle fire at medium range

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also a reminder that the enemies in Uncharted games are not bullet sponges, all unarmored non-magical enemies die to a pistol headshot or burst of rifle fire at medium range

Is this a meme from something?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Is this a meme from something?

Uncharted 1 in particular does an extremely bad job of showing you how to play it. For the time it came out in and the way the earliest areas are laid out one would understandably duck behind the various cover spots offered, and pop out from behind cover to shoot people when they stop to reload. This is bad because as you stay in one spot the enemies get more accurate, and if you're further away you're going to be missing them more yourself. So superficially, when playing an Uncharted game in that way the enemies are "bullet sponges" in that they take forever to take down. So a lot of people took that away from the game if they didn't play more aggressively. Making it feel like a weak Gears clone.

The intended way is that whenever you get the chance, you close the distance between you and the enemies to like a more mid-range or closer so you can head shot them or hit their body with a burst of gunfire to take them down quickly. And the game even takes this into account, if you let go of the right stick and just run while shooting Drake will auto-aim at the closest enemy. So you can do that while making to closer cover, headshot someone from cover, close on the next group of enemies, etc.

That auto-aim while running, Uncharted 1 has a prompt come up to prominently let you know that that's how it works................about half an hour before the end of the game. :wtc: They wisely tell you much much earlier in Uncharted 2.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Uncharted 1 in particular does an extremely bad job of showing you how to play it. For the time it came out in and the way the earliest areas are laid out one would understandably duck behind the various cover spots offered, and pop out from behind cover to shoot people when they stop to reload. This is bad because as you stay in one spot the enemies get more accurate, and if you're further away you're going to be missing them more yourself. So superficially, when playing an Uncharted game in that way the enemies are "bullet sponges" in that they take forever to take down. So a lot of people took that away from the game if they didn't play more aggressively.

The intended way is that whenever you get the chance, you close the distance between you and the enemies to like a more mid-range or closer so you can head shot them or hit their body with a burst of gunfire to take them down quickly. And the game even takes this into account, if you let go of the right stick and just run while shooting Drake will auto-aim at the closest enemy. So you can do that while making to closer cover, headshot someone from cover, close on the next group of enemies, etc.

That auto-aim while running, Uncharted 1 has a prompt come up to prominently let you know that that's how it works................about half and hour before the end of the game. :wtc: They wisely tell you much much earlier in Uncharted 2.

The key to enjoying Uncharted games is to use melee as much as possible. If you're not running through a hail of bullets to clobber somebody you're doing it wrong.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

The key to enjoying Uncharted games is to use melee as much as possible. If you're not running through a hail of bullets to clobber somebody you're doing it wrong.

gently caress yeah.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Uncharted 1 is pretty antiquated and one-note. Definitely play 2 before you write the series off.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

uncharted 1 expects you to utilize the iron fist combo a LOT and not to play it like a cover shooter

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

SUNKOS posted:

Also Days Gone gameplay pre release videos vs the actual game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Uncharted 1 is just weird overall. It does expect you to move around a lot, but it also expects you to take cover and use that as well because enemies will plink you to death. Ive been trying to replay them recently and I honestly just can't do it.

As I have gotten older, Drake's personality has gotten pretty insufferable.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

rabidsquid posted:

uncharted 1 expects you to utilize the iron fist combo a LOT and not to play it like a cover shooter

It’s a really great game design study IMO, because the rest of the series can be played pretty much exactly like Uncharted 1, but they no longer punish you for going about it a different way after the first one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

The lack of vertical scope in games is what always kills stuff like that for me. And it was especially disappointing to me in these two games because clearly they had that in mind but then didn't quite pull it off in the final product. I feel like of "modern" games Metroid Prime, Lost Planet and some From titles are the only one to have some moments that really sell that, like, poo poo is high and/or you just fuckin' CLIMBED/FELL from that in the actual in-game action and not just as a cutscene or a pretty backdrop.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Death Stranding is all about the verticality

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

The lack of vertical scope in games is what always kills stuff like that for me. And it was especially disappointing to me in these two games because clearly they had that in mind but then didn't quite pull it off in the final product. I feel like of "modern" games Metroid Prime, Lost Planet and some From titles are the only one to have some moments that really sell that, like, poo poo is high and/or you just fuckin' CLIMBED/FELL from that in the actual in-game action and not just as a cutscene or a pretty backdrop.

Death Stranding too, in chapter 3 I was treating mountains like the invisible walls they are in most games. So my first hike from Mountain Knot City to the Weather Station was pretty amazing. When you get to that last peak and look out east to see most of the central region that you've spent hours running across...benissimo

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Uncharted 1 just doesn't move in the same way 2 and 3 do, I'm a dumbass so I don't know if its being in a different engine or something but its just not as refined.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Uncharted 1 just doesn't move in the same way 2 and 3 do, I'm a dumbass so I don't know if its being in a different engine or something but its just not as refined.

It's just being unrefined. It came out 1 year into the PS3 and was the first title on Naughty Dog's next-generation engine so like most early cycle titles they spent most of their effort on getting it to work at all. For the second game not only did they have the technical foundation much closer to complete, they had all the experience and feedback from the first game to inform updating the systems.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 4, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

acksplode posted:

Death Stranding too, in chapter 3 I was treating mountains like the invisible walls they are in most games. So my first hike from Mountain Knot City to the Weather Station was pretty amazing. When you get to that last peak and look out east to see most of the central region that you've spent hours running across...benissimo

This sells me on Death Stranding more than almost anything else about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Uncharted 1 has a lot less set pieces than the other 2 which somehow started to define what the games were about? I always thought that part 1 had the tightest and most interesting story out of all of them though.