Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

A bit off-topic, but do any of you guys paint your (unpainted) board game miniatures or do you pay experienced people to do it for you? I imagine either option is rather expensive....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I don't paint them because I don't keep games long enough for the financial or time investment to do so.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Painting minis is something you do if you enjoy the process of painting them, otherwise don't bother.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I just had a 3 hour game of T'zolkin. Three... whole... hours. We didn't even use expansions. I definitely feel like it could've been wrapped up in half that time, easily. The game seems like it could be fun but the downtime absolutely murdered it to the point where it was vaguely excruciating.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Bloody Pancreas posted:

A bit off-topic, but do any of you guys paint your (unpainted) board game miniatures or do you pay experienced people to do it for you? I imagine either option is rather expensive....

Painting them yourself is not necessarily expensive, but it takes some time and skill (which anyone can learn). There are some techniques, like washes, dips and drybrushing, that can give good results very quickly if you don't want to pick out every detail.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Gilgameshback posted:

Painting them yourself is not necessarily expensive, but it takes some time and skill (which anyone can learn). There are some techniques, like washes, dips and drybrushing, that can give good results very quickly if you don't want to pick out every detail.

I've thought about doing it myself, but I feel like the investment is only worthwhile if you have super-detailed miniatures like Warhams. Also I have shaky hands so I guess I answered my own question :downs:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I've thought about doing it myself, but I feel like the investment is only worthwhile if you have super-detailed miniatures like Warhams. Also I have shaky hands so I guess I answered my own question :downs:
there’s a thread for it with lots of helpful advice but be warned you’ll end up down a rabbit hole that involves spending hundreds of dollars on airbrushes and poo poo

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I don’t think I’ve seen a board game where even really well painted minis look better than the faction or player/npc colors to differentiate. Including Cthulhu Wars and such. Board state being clear matters more than having realistic dolls. I’m not against minis either, a game like CW wouldn’t work nearly as well with standees for the same reason.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bloody Pancreas posted:

No way, I'm pretty sure anyone looking to just paint board game minis can do just fine with a few cheap brushes, a rattlecan of primer, a couple contrast paints for basecoats, and a couple detail colors. $30 would easily be enough to get started from nothing and have enough to finish a board game with plenty to spare for your next project.

Contrast paints are basically magical.

That said, I don't actually paint minis from board games anymore because I have a huge backlog of actual minis-game and D&D minis to paint.

eta:

Bottom Liner posted:

I don’t think I’ve seen a board game where even really well painted minis look better than the faction or player/npc colors to differentiate. Including Cthulhu Wars and such. Board state being clear matters more than having realistic dolls. I’m not against minis either, a game like CW wouldn’t work nearly as well with standees for the same reason.

Does Star Wars ImpAss count as a board game? Because painting those minis is super fun and applying gloss varnish to Vader's helmet to make it shiny and intimidating is great, plus I don't think it interferes with reading the board state at all since most of those characters and armies are already so recognizable.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 4, 2020

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

God drat, don't talk about painting here, you'll summon those nerds.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't know what the actual name is but the coloured bases you can snap the minis into are great for that kind of thing.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Bottom Liner posted:

I think you can do both. Like Guards of Atlantis is ice elementals Vs bronze/red coloured mechanical dudes so you can paint the ice guys in blues and the mechanical dudes with a metallic bronze as the base colour and it looks great and is obviously identifiable.

You just have to force a very distinct pallet.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah colored bases a la Blood Rage or distinct faction color motifs are a good way to do it if you’re gonna paint.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Sons of Anarchy looks awesome with clearly identifiable gangs in line with the show, not just a colour scheme

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I’ll paint container someday.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Chill la Chill posted:

I’ll paint container someday.

Me too

@_@

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

With Cthulhu Wars the factions naturally tend to colour schemes that match their base colour. The exception is the Ancients, who are the third shade of blue - cobalt, to CC's navy blue and WW's ice blue - and have no real frame of reference either. I'm also unsure what colour Daemon Sultan will be (Bubastis is sand-coloured, I believe.)

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I've painted up my Gloomhaven minis because it's a pretty long campaign and there aren't that many minis to paint up. I did paint up Twilight Imperium 3, but that was ages ago, and I don't think I could be bothered with painting up a dudes on a map game now. Especially since I don't have any that hit the table with any great regularity.

I think if I bought something like Cthulhu Wars I would give them a drybrush and wash treatment. Picking out all the detail would probably be a bridge too far, but I think those minis would look an order of magnitude better with a matte finish, and a wash to give shadow detail.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't know what the actual name is but the coloured bases you can snap the minis into are great for that kind of thing.

If you're going to paint the mini, just paint the base back to the team colour. Saves you having to base the mini. Or paint the rim of the base if you really want to base it.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I think the general approach of painting the blue team with a base coat of blue, a light blue highlight and a dark blue wash has essentially no flaws and is much better than grey plastic

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
I'd looked into painting for when my copy of Sanctum shows up, but decided it wasn't worth the time/money investment as I don't buy many games, especially ones with minis.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

I also painted Gloomhaven minis and can't imagine playing them unpainted now. It was well worth the effort. Also bought some minis to better represent summons.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I painted all the Forbidden Stars ships and factories and things and I'm really glad I did!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I painted Gloomhaven and Scythe and then haven't played either game for a year or maybe more.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Phelddagrif posted:

I'd looked into painting for when my copy of Sanctum shows up, but decided it wasn't worth the time/money investment as I don't buy many games, especially ones with minis.

Another thing that isn't worth the investment: Sanctum.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I think the general approach of painting the blue team with a base coat of blue, a light blue highlight and a dark blue wash has essentially no flaws and is much better than grey plastic

This is the most true answer. Also, only paint a game you love that you can never see leaving your collection. A mediocre paint job will bring less interested buyers.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

e: Nevermind

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Got all of my stuff for March of the Ants, interested to give it a shot now.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Tekopo posted:

Mine is literally in the delivery truck right now, can't wait.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Tekopo posted:

I was excited to try it last night but never got chance. This way I suppose I get to try the single player thing to get a full feel for how it all plays out. I'm still struggling to get over the 3 hours or T'zolkin to be honest!

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Jedit posted:

Another thing that isn't worth the investment: Sanctum.

Thanks for the kind words, friend!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Phelddagrif posted:

Thanks for the kind words, friend!

I know you would like me to add more detail, but I already did once before. My opinion hasn't changed since October.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Oh look the bootlickers are wrong. It's going to be ugly in board game world until the private equity firm takes its profits and goes home. Or brands get out from under them as Plaid Hat Games just did. And by the way, you can now get replacement parts directly from Plaid Hat for their games going forward that aren't still with Asmodee.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mayveena posted:

Oh look the bootlickers are wrong. It's going to be ugly in board game world until the private equity firm takes its profits and goes home. Or brands get out from under them as Plaid Hat Games just did. And by the way, you can now get replacement parts directly from Plaid Hat for their games going forward that aren't still with Asmodee.

My complete lack of surprise is palpable. Asmodee have done everything in their power to shaft small retailers, even down to buying up the space in Halle 1 at Spiel that was traditionally theirs and filling it with display tables that weren't selling anything. I want them gone, hopefully without damaging the hobby in the process.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Sanctum feels like it can't decide if it wants to be a PvP game or a solo game. As a PvP, there isn't enough interaction. It's a few drafts between relatively similar items and monsters that are going to appear over and over again. Likewise, trying to take down the demon overlord that will destroy the world doesn't lend itself well thematically to PvP. But the overall game structure is a bit too shallow to be a solo game.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

golden bubble posted:

Sanctum feels like it can't decide if it wants to be a PvP game or a solo game. As a PvP, there isn't enough interaction. It's a few drafts between relatively similar items and monsters that are going to appear over and over again. Likewise, trying to take down the demon overlord that will destroy the world doesn't lend itself well thematically to PvP. But the overall game structure is a bit too shallow to be a solo game.

That's completely fair! I was hesitant at first to pick it up as I wasn't confident the gameplay would hold up. It was a combination of a friend who was excited for the game encouraging me to get it, and the fantastic artwork and overall style of the components that pushed me over the edge.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

M a x posted:

Update: since someone here mention Mah Jong Soul was one of the better ways to play online I can't stop playing anime Mah Jong.

Send help.

nyangan

silvergoose posted:

I'm curious if I've played you or Stelas...up to expert, in the gold room.

You probably haven't played me because I have a resonant field around me at all times. If I get above 900 points on Adept 3 cosmic forces align and make me immediately eat poo poo.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

gently caress that's where I am in expert 1. I'm really mad.

And yet still relaxed, I don't understand it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Mayveena posted:

Jeez, my list of places not to buy from keeps getting longer. It had Sirlin and Bezier, and now all 90 Asmodee companies as well. I'm trying to re-find that image of all the brands they have, I know it includes Days of Wonder, Repos, Space Cowboys, ZMan, Catan...

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Jeez, my list of places not to buy from keeps getting longer. It had Sirlin and Bezier, and now all 90 Asmodee companies as well. I'm trying to re-find that image of all the brands they have, I know it includes Days of Wonder, Repos, Space Cowboys, ZMan, Catan...

Probably easier to make a list of permissible companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Probably easier to make a list of permissible companies.
Hollandspiele and...

Nope, actually, that's it.