Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The only genuinely missed opportunity in the dub is Polnareff not having the exact voice Antfish gave him, which is the only voice I am capable of reading Polnareff in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

DC Douglas and Ray Chase are straight up some of the best casting choices for the dub. Goddrat are they good!

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I'm sorry, I have to take this call.

Monaghan posted:

hot take, other than Rohan being goddamn vic and maybe Koichi, I think part 4 is better dubbed then subbed. D.C douglas is a delight.

Aw man, I did not know that about Rohan, that loving sucks. Though I guess it makes sense, considering I thought Rohan sounded like a real piece of poo poo.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Whoever the dialogue writer for the part 4 and 5 dubs is needs to get fired because there's way too many early 2000 amateur fansub-esque translations. I groaned out loud because Mista calls Zucchero a turdburglar.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
On one hand, you're probably right, on the other hand, it takes place in 2001 and Mista's eighteen, so early 2000's sophomoric insults are basically perfect.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Ryaomon posted:

Whoever the dialogue writer for the part 4 and 5 dubs is needs to get fired because there's way too many early 2000 amateur fansub-esque translations. I groaned out loud because Mista calls Zucchero a turdburglar.
The dub would be significantly worse if it didn't have Shigechi calling Josuke and Okuyasu beta boys.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The Part 3 and 4 dubs are really good!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Supersonic Shine posted:

Shigechi calling Josuke and Okuyasu beta boys.

Oh ew. I don't know why but that just doesn't sound good to me.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ryaomon posted:

That wouldn't be a bad line if it was said by Narancia though

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

An American VA shouting Joseph's "OH NO!" sounds hosed UP to me

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Richard Epcar's Joseph is firmly okay, but the Engrish definitely falls flat dubbed.

I think the only way they could've really captured the same intent would've been if his British accent from Part 2 came back when he's making panicked exclamations like that, but that would've been weird.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Or he could yell out an american-accented SHIMATTAAAAA or whatever

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The other missed opportunity in the dub is Part 4 Joseph not being voiced by Paul St. Peter.

We could've had the whole Xehanort set.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they’re saving him for Diavolo, obviously

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh ew. I don't know why but that just doesn't sound good to me.

Isn't the original line that they are gay boys or something? Seems like that just wouldn't fly these days out loud.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

him using the line “beta boys” effectively communicates how much of an obnoxious little poo poo Shigechi is so it works imo

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm going come down on the side is saying they really shouldn't use 2010s internet slang on a show set in the mid 90s

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/Prismeous/status/1235223382100066305

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
When i was in Japan last week, i was walking through Ikebukuro and saw a suit shop that had giant cutouts of Giornio and Bruno.

When i went inside they had these. I got the black Gold Experience one in the middle then remembered that my suit is blue.

Jojo seems to be a hit with the 50+ salary man demographic though. While i was deciding which one to get several of them came in the shop and grabbed a tie. They got the last of the tie clips before i got a chance to pick one up too.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Didn't see this posted, but this dude is trying to make his own JoJo Part and...it is looking REALLY good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJs2zwHwl5U

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

Didn't see this posted, but this dude is trying to make his own JoJo Part and...it is looking REALLY good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJs2zwHwl5U

That was fantastic. I hope they keep up with the project, i can't wait to see more!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, this was unexpected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTxuXoGi3y0

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm glad people recognize the greatness of Josuke's hair.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Haha that was excellent. I don't even know what Ballmasterz is but I'll be checking it out now

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ballmasterz is a goofy ultraviolent show with a truly bizarre world. Well worth a watch.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I can't believe Bruno is loving dead

again

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I think I've figured out how to beat the corona virus guys.

Someone get me Giorno Giovanna's contact info and the address of some place in Italy that sells bricks.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Speaking of Giorno and corona

https://www.instagram.com/p/B97bVncFaz0/

edit: today was the day I learned IG posts embed in the Awful app but not in browser, oh well

Here's this too

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

who was the more iconic D'Arby brother

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Daniel.

GO AHEAD, MR. JOESTAR

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Daniel was better overall, but Terrence had a funny beating.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Daniel was better overall, but Terrence had a funny beating.

:agreed:

Terrence was also the creepier one by far. They were both like serial killers with their trophies and everything, but Daniel's whole thing was about the game, his soul collection was just a source of pride and proof of his power, and otherwise sterile. Terrence's collection was kept partially aware (at least) and in the form of little dolls for him to trot out and play with. If he wasn't a stand user he'd probably have a lotion pit in his house or something.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Daniel.

GO AHEAD, MR. JOESTAR

e: D'Arby the Gambler is one of Jotaro's best and most character defining fights too, a fantastic chapter on every level

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

multijoe posted:

e: D'Arby the Gambler is one of Jotaro's best and most character defining fights too, a fantastic chapter on every level

Those episodes were my literal first exposure to JJBA. It worked.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

:agreed:

Terrence was also the creepier one by far. They were both like serial killers with their trophies and everything, but Daniel's whole thing was about the game, his soul collection was just a source of pride and proof of his power, and otherwise sterile. Terrence's collection was kept partially aware (at least) and in the form of little dolls for him to trot out and play with. If he wasn't a stand user he'd probably have a lotion pit in his house or something.

Excuse me. It's Telence.
:goonsay:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Carlosologist posted:

who was the more iconic D'Arby brother

I can only speak for myself here, to me the Gambler was the best anime card game.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I just saw the clip where Polpo gets his brains blown out and it made me think how varied JoJo is with killing bad guys. Phantom Blood, Jonathan never even kills people trying to kill him, but will melt the undead. In Part 2 Joseph seems to work by similar principals. Then you get to part 3 and the whole cast is slaughtering their way through the South Pacific. Every single crusader kills at minimum one person save Abdul. Then all of a sudden they get to Egypt and they stop killing their opponents. The only exceptions being Iggy killing the maze guy (does Pet Shop count as a person?). DIO and Vanilla Ice are undead so fit in the loophole. Then you get to part 4 and the protagonists don't kill a single person in the entire story no matter how reprehensible. Every death is either by a villain or an Ambulance. Then we get Vento Aureo and it's a complete slaughter. The heroes murder everyone they encounter save Zucchero and Sale.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

galagazombie posted:

I just saw the clip where Polpo gets his brains blown out and it made me think how varied JoJo is with killing bad guys. Phantom Blood, Jonathan never even kills people trying to kill him, but will melt the undead. In Part 2 Joseph seems to work by similar principals. Then you get to part 3 and the whole cast is slaughtering their way through the South Pacific. Every single crusader kills at minimum one person save Abdul. Then all of a sudden they get to Egypt and they stop killing their opponents. The only exceptions being Iggy killing the maze guy (does Pet Shop count as a person?). DIO and Vanilla Ice are undead so fit in the loophole. Then you get to part 4 and the protagonists don't kill a single person in the entire story no matter how reprehensible. Every death is either by a villain or an Ambulance. Then we get Vento Aureo and it's a complete slaughter. The heroes murder everyone they encounter save Zucchero and Sale.

I think trapping people in rocks and books by somehow fusing their being with an inanimate object is worse than death, especially when it seems like Angelo lost intelligence

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think trapping people in rocks and books by somehow fusing their being with an inanimate object is worse than death, especially when it seems like Angelo lost intelligence

I always say that trapping Engima's user in a book was rather excessive for a guy who hadn't killed anyone and was rather similar in motivation to how Rohan was when he was first introduced. Which doesn't mean Josuke was being out of character there; as people always point out when I point this out; Josuke gets really mad at people who threaten his mother.

Similarly, Diavolo's fate seems excessive for anyone, even someone as genuinely evil as him. Illuso also gets a remarkably horrific death for such a minor villain (which perhaps explains why Purple Haze Feedback feels the need to add monstrous things Illuso did in backstory to retroactively make it seem karmically appropriate).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

You and I may think that, but as with the undead loophole, it's more often used in stories as an excuse to "kill" a villain and say the hero is still morally pure. Like putting Angelo in the rock was a whole "If you kill me you're just like me" thing. Though the whole "unable to die" thing was portrayed as pretty terrible for Kars and Diavolo, so I'm not really sure.