Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

For those who use the Billingham Hadley or other similar bags do you carry a tripod separately when you use one or do you use a separate bag that has an attach point for a tripod when you do need to carry one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

For those who use the Billingham Hadley or other similar bags do you carry a tripod separately when you use one or do you use a separate bag that has an attach point for a tripod when you do need to carry one?

If I was going to bring along a tripod I'd probably just switch to a backpack then. Or get a tripod sling.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
It depends where I'm going and how I'm getting there. For my PD Messenger, If I'm going by something where my personal space isn't at a premium, I'll put the tripod in the passthrough under the main flap and carry it that way so that it's horizontal along the bag length. That makes it a little unwieldy in tight situations like public transport though, so in those circumstances, I'll carry the tripod separately in its shoulder bag. My tripod collapses down quite small, but the three-way head still sticks out far enough to get caught on things or just get in the way if I'm not careful.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I don't understand how people like shoulder bags. Aren't your shoulders dead from all the weight?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like em if I’m doing something where I need to work out of the bag a lot while I’m shooting; changing lenses frequently and whatnot. That or if I’m doing something where the bag is living on a cart as should bags sit nicer with other gear than backpacks, though usually in those situations I wind brining a roller bag or hard case.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Does anyone here print their photos themselves instead of a printing service? What printers are people using that are giving the best quality they’ve found?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Follow up:
Yeah, no one wants to clean an RX100 for under $180 (some places said they'll just send it to sony who wants almost $400, LOL). Anyone want a "mint" RX100 III for full (used) retail?
If this spot weren't an mm or 2 away from the center of the image it would suck less.

I would say this is why I shoot mostly film, but I'm pretty sure I spend way more than $200 on film and processing every year.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This might be ill advised, but have you tried lightly banging it on something? My GR had a big dust spot in a bad place on the sensor for a bit till banging around in my bike rando bag jostled it loose. I’ve also heard of people with GRs shooting a stream of air between the seams of the lens and body. Not suggesting that it will work, or is a good idea at all and won’t make things worse, but if the other option is a new camera might be worth a shot.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

powderific posted:

I’ve also heard of people with GRs shooting a stream of air between the seams of the lens and body.

This crossed my mind too.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Does anyone here print their photos themselves instead of a printing service? What printers are people using that are giving the best quality they’ve found?

I’m a rank amateur but I’ve been real happy with the canon Pixma pro-10. I do 90% or more color if it matters. Haven’t tried any other printers except the pixma pro 100 which I use for greeting cards.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Speaking of the RX100 iii, I actually just picked one up second hand from ebay—should be here in a few days. I wanted a high quality compact with a fast lens, and while the XZ-2 I’ve been using for a while is nice, it’s small sensor and generally poor noise performance weren’t quite cutting it.

We’re going overseas in a few months and I’m planning on taking the RX100 as my only camera. I was going to take my a7ii with an EF 24-105, but drat is that a lot to lug around. Hoping I don’t regret taking only the compact, but it does sound like it performs well...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The one thing I bought for my RX100 was a circular polarizer that attaches to the front via magnets. Its pretty nifty.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

powderific posted:

This might be ill advised, but have you tried lightly banging it on something? My GR had a big dust spot in a bad place on the sensor for a bit till banging around in my bike rando bag jostled it loose. I’ve also heard of people with GRs shooting a stream of air between the seams of the lens and body. Not suggesting that it will work, or is a good idea at all and won’t make things worse, but if the other option is a new camera might be worth a shot.

I mean, used the camera is still worth over $300, so $180 is still way less than the camera is worth. Just going to sting. If it was an OG rx100 I'd probably try to DIY it and buy a new one if I failed.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

Lenses don't hard stop at infinity because infinity varies (for example with temperature, focusing to infinity at the same subject from the same location on a hot summer day or a cold winter night will be slightly different)

This makes sense, and it is also what I learned from doing astrophotography. But my 21 mm Loxia has a pretty solid stop at infinity, while my 40 mm goes well beyond. I guess it also depends on aperture as there can be focus shift, so I better leave it alone.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’m using a Canon Pixma TR8520. Does pretty well on the 4x6’s and 8x10’s I’ve been printing.

I did have to tell my kids they don’t get to go to college though, because daddy’s gotta pay for ink.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I use an Epson P800.

It's superb. Like, astonishingly good. I do love printing on cotton rag stock tho, so none of this is remotely justifiable in terms of price.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Dangerllama posted:

I did have to tell my kids they don’t get to go to college though, because daddy’s gotta pay for ink.

This is painfully true.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

i have the case that my tripod came in, or if i'm going to be using it a lot / near the car, just carry the tripod on its own. it's not that bad.

billingham does make tripod straps but i wouldn't buy them.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

A sony service center just quoted me $65 to clean the sensor. Gonna send it off before they change their minds.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
^^ nice

President Beep posted:

Speaking of the RX100 iii, I actually just picked one up second hand from ebay—should be here in a few days. I wanted a high quality compact with a fast lens, and while the XZ-2 I’ve been using for a while is nice, it’s small sensor and generally poor noise performance weren’t quite cutting it.

We’re going overseas in a few months and I’m planning on taking the RX100 as my only camera. I was going to take my a7ii with an EF 24-105, but drat is that a lot to lug around. Hoping I don’t regret taking only the compact, but it does sound like it performs well...

Lemme know how you like it, I'm looking to get something compact that I can just keep nearby all the time and I think it's between the RX100s and the GRs for me

nm
Jan 28, 2008

By brother has an OG Rx100 and GR(2?). They're really different cameras. I'd consider the GR more of a X100 competitor that is smaller but slightly less nice to use (viewfinder, button placement, etc. The fuji x100 is simple to use in a way that most high end digital camera aren't).
The rx100 is way more useful (dust aside), but comparing similarly priced models the IQ isn't as good as the gr or x100.
He seems to think the GR is more pocketable than the rx100, so if portability is a factor, that's a selling point.
The rx100 is my travel camera now. Saves so much weight and size v. an slr, but having at least some zoom, means I won't be quite as hampered as with my x100 (or a GR).

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have had both the original RX100 and two GRs (and rented the GR3 for a week.) The RX100's image just didn't do anything for me, but it's a way faster camera and obviously with a zoom you can do things you can't with the fixed lens on the GR. Haven't used any of the newer RX100s, so it's possible that I'd like them more. But I love the GR enough that when my first one broke (it was an ex rental and just stopped turning on after a few years) I bought another to replace it. After five years with one as my "always on me" camera I am thinking about trying something else, but after looking through sample galleries and reviews nothing really seems that interesting.

edit: I have been eyeing the new X100 — while I don't love the 35mm focal length it might be worth a change just to get me out of habits.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I wound up selling off my other camera systems because my gr ii worked for nearly every type of picture I wanted to take while being actually pocketable. As a second camera the gr ii might fit your needs just as well, but the new lens/higher resolution sensor on the gr iii lets you get away with a lot more cropping.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

AF posted:

^^ nice

Lemme know how you like it, I'm looking to get something compact that I can just keep nearby all the time and I think it's between the RX100s and the GRs for me

I will!

I’m back to thinking about taking my a7ii as well now though. Was out shooting with it today with my adapted L zoom and was like “drat, really love this thing...”

Maybe I’ll take both, but only lug out the bigger camera for certain outings.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In my experience the hardest part of travel photography is the goddamn tripod. The camera and a lens is no big deal. But if you opt for a tripod? It's going to dominate your trip.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Oh, man. For real. I took a tripod with me to england last year. It wasn’t worth it in the least and it took up a shitload of room.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I bought a Gorillapod thing instead of bringing a big tripod with me everywhere and it's great - it's a bit finicky but it will get you a steady shot. I've taken a few long exposures with it and being closer to the ground isn't a big deal to me. It fits in my camera backpack and weighs nothing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

I bought a Gorillapod thing instead of bringing a big tripod with me everywhere and it's great - it's a bit finicky but it will get you a steady shot. I've taken a few long exposures with it and being closer to the ground isn't a big deal to me. It fits in my camera backpack and weighs nothing.

The gorillapod is great when it works, extremely frustrating when it doesn't. If you're going to be in urban areas or spots with lots of fences it's gonna be in its element.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

My favorite thing about the gorilla pod is the little rubber pieces on the ball joints that will grab literally anything and make it impossible to slide into any bag.

I do love its size though. Use it a lot in my house and for hiking or places I don’t want to lug a tripod.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hated my gorillapod, was mostly useless because I couldn't set up for the photo I wanted 99% of the time. I gave it to a friend and plan to get a carbon fibre travel tripod instead of compromising the shot.

I'm carrying a medium format camera anyway so I'm already prepared for a certain amount of bulk.

In other gear news I got a Mamiya 645 specifically for travel.

Need to replace the auto-winder with a hand crank, get a cable release socket and change the viewfinder for the AE prism with shutter speed readouts, but I got a good price on the setup with 80mm and 45mm lenses.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I really love my Fuji GS645 folder for travel. It’s got a multi coated Planar-type lens, so the quality is pretty solid for a folder, it’s got electronic meter (averaging, non-TTL), it’s a lot of photographic punch for something that can easily be slipped into a carryon.

The first one I got had some mechanical problems and the bellows have a reputation for starting to develop holes, so it’s perhaps a bit finicky but it’s really nice when it’s working.

Sometimes I’ll throw a Stylus Epic or Olympus XA into the bag to complement it. Olympus XA also doubles as a nice compact averaging meter for older cameras without their own, if you don’t need incident or spot metering.

Stolen pic:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 5, 2020

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, the original plan was a Fuji GF670 but I wanted something with interchangeable lenses and the film backs are a good bonus. I'll probably end up with one one day still.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

President Beep posted:

Oh, man. For real. I took a tripod with me to england last year. It wasn’t worth it in the least and it took up a shitload of room.

I've learned this the hard way as well - like taking a Manfrotto tripod with me on a hike at the Cliffs of Moher.

In a bid to stop constantly dragging Every loving Thing with me, I for myself to answer practical questions like:
Do I have a planned photo at a specific location?
Will that photo be in low light or require a long exposure?
Will it require a tele lens being held in place for more than 5 minutes?

(The planning part being the most important)

Eg. I'm planning a trip to the Grand Canyon next weekend, Covid willing, and want to get a good sunset or sunrise shot, as well as an astro photo. Even then, I'm taking a tiny (30cm) travel tripod that weighs 1kg and will be chucked in my checked suitcase.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think you'll be fine with a mini tripod at grand canyon. You can get comically close to the edge in spots so have the option of nothing obstructing the foreground. There are a few prime spots with fences that could be an issue, but there's no effective way to stop people from just going around it (and they do it all the time).

I've done a couple sunsets at desert view and it's pretty glorious at that end.

I'm in valley of fire next week and am bringing the full kit like a big dumb idiot. They got bighorn sheep so of course I need the 600mm, and they got tiny caves so along comes the gorillapod, and if I'm bringing all that I might as well haul the full size tripod too!

xzzy fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 5, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Megabound posted:

Yeah, the original plan was a Fuji GF670 but I wanted something with interchangeable lenses and the film backs are a good bonus. I'll probably end up with one one day still.

I'd love a GF670 but ugh, those prices. I'd love to find one at the $1700 they used to run back in the day.

Cheapest one on ebay right now is $2550 and even as someone who generally follows the buy-once-cry-once philosophy that's just too much for what it is.

Hell I'd originally hoped they were going to come down a bit from that $1700 but...

Also tbh if I'm going to drop that much cash it would be nice if they went full 6x9 instead of just 6x7. For $500 or $600 you can convert or buy a converted Medalist II and get a very nice heliar type lens on 6x9. It's not a Mamiya 7-style resolution monster like a GF670 but it's also 1/5th the price, and it's fairly compact (at least by GW690 standards).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 5, 2020

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

In my experience the hardest part of travel photography is the goddamn tripod. The camera and a lens is no big deal. But if you opt for a tripod? It's going to dominate your trip.

My tripod is the single most physically awkward thing I own. Every loving time I pick it up, I bang it into something. Walls, doors, the side of the car, the cat, my wife, they've all taken hits from my tripod from me just trying to carry it out and put it in the car for a trip. I mean, I know I'm a bit clumsy, but this thing is like a damage/injury demon that thirsts for scratched paint and bruises.

My Gorillapod was great until some of the joints worked loose and it became floppy and worthless. That was like 10 years ago, maybe they're better now?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

My Gorillapod was great until some of the joints worked loose and it became floppy and worthless. That was like 10 years ago, maybe they're better now?

The aluminum one is supposedly better but mine has seen pretty light use so it's gonna be a long time before I have any personal anecdotes!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

President Beep posted:

I will!

I’m back to thinking about taking my a7ii as well now though. Was out shooting with it today with my adapted L zoom and was like “drat, really love this thing...”

Maybe I’ll take both, but only lug out the bigger camera for certain outings.

My RX100 iii arrived today. Yeah, I don't think I'll be taking my a7ii. This little thing, even at five years old, performs great. Got a good deal too. It was being sold with a scratched screen, but it just needed a new screen protector. Looks great now.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I got an Epson P400 recently and it's been fantastic, I've printed a few A4 and A3+ on ilford gold fibre silk. That said I've only printed colour images as I don't do much B&W, the P400 only has one black ink so in theory it's probably less good for B&W images. It also has specific red and orange inks which means compared to the inks that the P600 and P800 uses it has slightly better gamut for warm tones and slightly less for dark saturated blues and purples.

I've also recently received some 3rd party ink from Marrutt but haven't tried it out yet. I know that it hasn't been tested or rated for long-term archival properties (Epson's new inks are potentially good for 200+ years, Marrutt says at least 80 years for their ink) but I'm only printing my trash photos anyway so I don't think it will matter, and if a gallery or museum ever wanted one of my prints then I'll just swap back in some OEM ink...

One thing to remember is that these photo printers need to print -something- at least once a week to keep them from drying out and clogging, you're going to have to have a lot of wall space to fill or a lot of friends to give free prints to even at one print per week (I can't bring myself to throw them away).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Been wanting to buy a photo printer for a while.

This is one of the topics that is almost pointless to google because almost all the hits will be "the top printers of [current year]" from clickbait sites and just be a list of instax or polaroid type printers.

I am looking for a "professional" solution that prints actual photos, not a printer that is a regular printer with "photo" printing capabilities. I have no idea where to start looking for information.
If i google i just get clickbaity garbage and if i go to one of the local photo store's webpages its either these 2-in-1 printers or these gigantic monsters that can print A0 size and requires their separate room because of their size.
I know there exists something inbetween here, because i have seen such a printer in e.g. the CEWE PhotoExpress machines. They have this small'ish printer in these that prints from a roll of paper and can print up to A4 and a printer like this is what i am looking for however i am unable to find any such printers for sale or find out which printer they use in the CEWE machines.