Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Vavrek posted:

Full modlist here.

"0035","Vilja in Skyrim"

:3:

Having checked the list, I'd say it's probably quest mods. Googling yields some comments that Legacy of the Dragonborn, Forgotten City, and Moonpath to Elsewyr cause some people issues. One of the fixes that might work is to clean your save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Uh, so, about that.

You know how Sacrosanct gives you +1 to your stats for each person you straight-up drain?

I've been wondering if named corpses ever disappear in Skyrim or if Vilja's going to keep just lying there in the Safehouse followers' room.

I'll give save cleaning a try.

edit: I mean the worst that happens is I just wander around Skyrim without any idea what I'm doing. It'll be like Morrowind, but with screaming and shield bashing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Vavrek posted:

Uh, so, about that.

You know how Sacrosanct gives you +1 to your stats for each person you straight-up drain?

I've been wondering if named corpses ever disappear in Skyrim or if Vilja's going to keep just lying there in the Safehouse followers' room.

Mods!?

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Is Vilja well regarded? I really liked Lucien and Inigo but didn't enjoy having Vilja around. She is written in a way that made her seem both self-centered and clingy. My experience was I picked her up, traveled around with her for a short while, and ended up leaving her back at the Bannered Mare and then never interacting with her again.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

unimportantguy posted:

Is Vilja well regarded? I really liked Lucien and Inigo but didn't enjoy having Vilja around. She is written in a way that made her seem both self-centered and clingy. My experience was I picked her up, traveled around with her for a short while, and ended up leaving her back at the Bannered Mare and then never interacting with her again.

"Well-regarded" is one of those things that just means nothing in Skyrim mods in general. All the mods I tried were well-regarded and some of them were absolute hell. She's extremely popular. Personally, I can't stand her, and it's not just because I hate the voice acting of everybody the mod adds.

On that note, I'm starting Skyrim over again. Know why? The loving Brotherhood of Old mod left just... wreckage throughout all my save files. I had to burn them to get rid of it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
The question, I think, is if she's well-regarded by goons, who are known to be handsome and discerning internet connoisseurs.

edit: Speaking of, I found a waifu riekling mod that I just have to share: Dana'Ka and Sisters

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 28, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

unimportantguy posted:

Emma is an adorable modding grandma and I can't say harsh words about her. Also Vilja's Oblivion version was developed to have special accessibility features to help the late Terry Pratchett enjoy the game despite Alzheimer's, and this alone makes Vilja awesome.

Of course, that doesn't mean that you have to put her in your load order or that you will enjoy having her around. The way she's written, you are her companion on her adventures, not the other way around, and of course that won't be everyone's cup of tea.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Emma owns but her mods (outside White Wolf for Morrowind) are not my cup of tea and don't really fit in the tone of the games or try to. And that's fine! But yeah, if the description puts you off, you probably won't like them.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Cat Mattress posted:

Emma is an adorable modding grandma and I can't say harsh words about her. Also Vilja's Oblivion version was developed to have special accessibility features to help the late Terry Pratchett enjoy the game despite Alzheimer's, and this alone makes Vilja awesome.

Of course, that doesn't mean that you have to put her in your load order or that you will enjoy having her around. The way she's written, you are her companion on her adventures, not the other way around, and of course that won't be everyone's cup of tea.

yeah to me it's less about how well the Vilja performs as a mod added follower and more that she was made to help an old guy have fun at video games. And also she reads to me!

Also, I usually end up getting tired of having followers in my way after a while, so by the time Vilja starts to get old I can retire her to my huge castle and she can talk to Lydia and Jenassa while surrounded by my large army of small dogs and Skyrim is a much happier place.

The only thing that can make my Skyrim experience more pleasant is a mod that lets me activate bugs and get ingredients without killing them. I'm thinking butterfly kisses, moth dust, glowing torchbug poop, and bee cuddles or something

edit

Vavrek posted:

Uh, so, about that.

forgot to add "What is wrong with you?!"

Sven and Faendal are the designated sacrificial followers you goober :colbert:

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 28, 2020

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Aw, I didn't know that. That's nice!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rainbow Knight posted:

Sven and Faendal are the designated sacrificial followers you goober :colbert:
no it's uh Mercurio or whatever his name is, the sellsword in Riften's inn that spends all day sitting on a bench bragging about how great he is

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

DACK FAYDEN posted:

no it's uh Mercurio or whatever his name is, the sellsword in Riften's inn that spends all day sitting on a bench bragging about how great he is

aw I love that guy he's so sassy. Plus his VA is my favorite. Drevis's interaction with Colette at the college always puts a smile on my face

"UGH what do you want?"

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Read the thread for recommendations as I am slowly getting in the mood to play again and I got reminded of the time I tried out a mod that attempted to add Zelda stuff "on an expansion-sized scale" back in oldrim.

I forgot the exact name of it, but basically it tried to integrate itself with the main game and try to add Zelda stuff in a lore-friendly way. What that actually meant was that instead of just having a "This is where Zelda happens" dungeon or zone or whatever, random items were scattered all over the vanilla dungeons. To be honest, this concept could be neat if you were gonna play the main game anyhow, but as someone who got tired of the same old dungeons and wanted to explore something new that kinda turned me off, especially as some pretty major stuff was hidden like that.

There were some proper new dungeons though! I ended up trying one out and it somehow was even worse than a basic Skyrim one. You had backtracking through rooms you went through for keys you might have missed in a random corner of a room three hallways back, the hallways themselves were bland with barely any decorations in the Dwemer ruin style so all just solid rock walls and none of the pipes and stuff and at times you would just walk around corner and corner, wondering if there will ever be anything more than just grey rock (there isn't). Besides frost spiders renamed to skulltulas you also had redead, which were humanoid enemies who would when aggro'd just run at you and paralyze you for a second, so you ended up going ragdoll and then having to wait through the getting up animation anytime you fight one, while they get to just punch you a bunch. And then there were a couple bosses which were in just large, square rooms that didn't even try to look anything other than "boss here". I mostly remember one giant frost spider called Gohma, think another one was a darknut enemy but since it has been so long I cannot remember if they did anything with it beyond "slightly bigger dude in armor".

It was a complete slog and turned me off of actually trying more of it. The sad thing is that there is/was a wiki for it and it made it sound like there would be a bunch of cool poo poo like special areas, items from previous Zelda games and such but that dungeon sucked any enthusiasm I has for trying out more out of me.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

yeah that mod sounds cool but is really bad in practice and adds so much unbalanced/low-quality poo poo EVERYWHERE it's not worth it and cant really be ignored. it's a shame because the scope and ambition deserve kudos by themselves but

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Rainbow Knight posted:

The only thing that can make my Skyrim experience more pleasant is a mod that lets me activate bugs and get ingredients without killing them. I'm thinking butterfly kisses, moth dust, glowing torchbug poop, and bee cuddles or something

There was a mod that did exactly this but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. It was in the GEMS catalog, but the site is down.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Do you avoid killing spiders, too

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I usually sacrificed the lady in the Bannered Mare, the one that had to be hot poo poo and murder some kid just to try and get into the Companions

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Eric the Mauve posted:

Do you avoid killing spiders, too

If frostbite spiders would just chill in my homes eating bugs and assassins I'd be okay with them but alas they're non-stop trying to sink their teeth into my torso

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There's a perk in SPERG that makes them docile, but it's like Lockpicking 80 or something that you'll never actually reach

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
After the initial elemental spells, the ones that just stream from your hands, I usually went for lightning because it's basically hitscan, point and click. I also have some mod that adds those magical trap runes you can drop on the ground, even if it's right under the feet of the guy trying to trepanne you with a metal hammer. Other than that, I'm kind of lacking in terms of offensive spells that aren't slow moving projectiles that enemies dodge. I'd be happy with more hand-spraying element stuff, maybe have them interact to make fire-ice, or lightning-fire. Sometimes I like to get hands-on with my arcane testing.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think Lightning Bolt or whatever (the electric projectile spell) is pretty much hitscan, or at least faster than the other projectile spells, though I don't have too much trouble hitting enemies with Firebolt or Ice Spike either, and I'm not great at first-person aiming.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

So it turns out there is a perk overhaul that works on ps4, adamant since I just got a ps4 and of course I bought skyrim for it I have a disease I'm going to give it a shot. It's available for PC as well, but I'd never heard of it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Isn't that the other perk overhaul by EnaiSiaion?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

Isn't that the other perk overhaul by EnaiSiaion?

No, that's Vokrii.

Agents are GO! posted:

I just got a ps4 and of course I bought skyrim for it I have a disease
There there.
There there.
:sympathy:

I avoid game duplication by having my PS4 plugged into my computer monitor, but it is primarily just a Bloodborne machine, because, well. I own five different Dark Souls just on Steam. I know how it goes.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Are we bitching about quest mods because I will never stop complaining about Project AHO and Carved Brink, they're the definition of style over substance.

Actually that's not fair, Project AHO has an incredibly gross substance in how the "good ending" has the only guy who even cares that his society is based off brutal mind-control and mutilation style slave trading piss off to go adventuring in Dwemer ruins to have fun and adventure instead of doing anything about it. Never reloaded an old save to get the other ending faster in my life, and not just because I was playing my Argonian.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 4, 2020

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

forbidden magic has a p cool system and a couple of immediate hit spells for when you absolutely must murder every hawk in Solitude :mwah:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So what combat mods are you guys enjoying? Aside from SPERG and possibly a vampire lord/lycanthropy overhaul I have kept the game mostly vanilla.

Don't want another 200 hour file with spongy enemies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Meridian posted:

So what combat mods are you guys enjoying? Aside from SPERG and possibly a vampire lord/lycanthropy overhaul I have kept the game mostly vanilla.

this is good for more and more challenging random encounters

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/24913

It's all random encounters on the overworld, so if it's too much you can either run away from the encounter, or if you don't run away in time after you reload it will probably be something else, or you won't even encounter anything to begin with.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I saw that pop up while I was browsing Nexus. Does it change any mechanics or is it just additional creatures and stuff? Probably grab it either way.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's just new flavours of mobs all over the place. Some new, some reskins, but no changes to mechanics.

I mostly liked it. They're generally on the higher end of fair difficulty, but every now and then my level 25 character would run into a level 60 draugr type boss that would just one shot me with his ebony.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Meridian posted:

I saw that pop up while I was browsing Nexus. Does it change any mechanics or is it just additional creatures and stuff? Probably grab it either way.

Just additional and (very important to me) different creatures, as far as I know. You might get increased access to a couple rare crafting materials?

Word of warning, it does add baby animals. It's one thing to kill some wolves, it's a bit different to kill a wolf and a bunch of wolf cubs.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 5, 2020

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Immersive creatures is awesome for spicing up the enemy variety, especially in Dwemer ruins. It also has a couple of small scripted surprises which I won't spoil.

While you're looking at immersive creatures, also consider the dedicated version of higher level enemies available for it. It adds additional variants for common enemy types like bandits to create smoother and more interesting enemy scaling.

Lastly, I highly recommend Mortal Enemies. It adjusts the turn and movement speed caps when swinging weapons, shooting bows, casting spells, etc. It's a very simple tweak to vanilla values that greatly improves combat without adding or changing game mechanics. With this mod you can actually dodge melee attacks and outmaneuver enemies with regular footwork, and in turn you need to time your own attacks and manage your positioning to stay on target.

Skwirl posted:

Word of warning, it does add baby animals. It's one thing to kill some wolves, it's a bit different to kill a wolf and a bunch of wolf cubs.

I mean, sure they're smaller and squirrelly, but that's nothing a good warhammer can't solve.

timn fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 5, 2020

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Skwirl posted:

this is good for more and more challenging random encounters

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/24913

It's all random encounters on the overworld, so if it's too much you can either run away from the encounter, or if you don't run away in time after you reload it will probably be something else, or you won't even encounter anything to begin with.

Those are some swole-rear end Rieklings.

EDIT: Tag yourself, I'm the one who forgot to bring a weapon.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Meridian posted:

Know Your Enemy has been interesting so far. Basically gives creatures and or armor types keyword strengths and weaknesses, so some weapons and magic are better than others. This could make things spongy I suppose if you use damage they are resistant to, but should give a damage boost for using something they are weak to. The example given being a draugr being immune to poison and disease, resistant to piercing (swords, arrows) and blunt (mace) and shock but weak to being slashed with an axe. There are also books as random loot that will give you info and damage penetration against types of enemies. I like that it also gives me a reason to keep some different weapons on hand.

Also, if anyone hasn't seen it Bug Fixes SSE claims to have fixed a bug most people were probably unaware of. I guess long term continuous abilities, like a perks and such, could break after a number of in-game hours and stop consistently running their conditional checks to make them function.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

graynull posted:

Know Your Enemy has been interesting so far. Basically gives creatures and or armor types keyword strengths and weaknesses, so some weapons and magic are better than others. This could make things spongy I suppose if you use damage they are resistant to, but should give a damage boost for using something they are weak to. The example given being a draugr being immune to poison and disease, resistant to piercing (swords, arrows) and blunt (mace) and shock but weak to being slashed with an axe. There are also books as random loot that will give you info and damage penetration against types of enemies. I like that it also gives me a reason to keep some different weapons on hand.

That sounds pretty cool. Gonna try that out.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Is there a Skyrim mod that'll let me write on things with a stick of chalk? This Morrowind mod does that and it's great for leaving notes to myself, as well as figuring out navigation in a mildly confusing ruin. It'd be nice to not be glancing back at the map routinely, and check my own floor/wall notes instead.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Vavrek posted:

Is there a Skyrim mod that'll let me write on things with a stick of chalk? This Morrowind mod does that and it's great for leaving notes to myself, as well as figuring out navigation in a mildly confusing ruin. It'd be nice to not be glancing back at the map routinely, and check my own floor/wall notes instead.

If you have Ordinator and you take perks in the fire branch of the destruction tree you can eventually get a perk that lights corpses on fire and turn them to ash, which is probably your most :black101: option of knowing where you've been.

Alternatively, you could just move clutter or corpses. That's what I usually do.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Rainbow Knight posted:

Alternatively, you could just move clutter or corpses. That's what I usually do.

sometimes I just disable the corpses manually, lol

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

It's not really a concern in normal Skyrim dungeons, but I've been in a few mod-added spaces that're more maze-like and involve a decent amount of backtracking. (Most recently an Ayleid ruin added by Tools of Kagrenac.) It'd be great to glance and see my own X or arrow or DEAD END marks. Moving corpses is a bit tedious, and then you only get the message "corpse / no corpse" (or maybe "corpse / no corpse / flaming corpse"), and have to remember what each signifies, instead of actually writing a note.

Maybe I could get a note-writing mod and leave loose pages on the ground? Still not as good as chalk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Crumbletron posted:

sometimes I just disable the corpses manually, lol

ugh that just sounds tedious

Vavrek posted:

It's not really a concern in normal Skyrim dungeons, but I've been in a few mod-added spaces that're more maze-like and involve a decent amount of backtracking. (Most recently an Ayleid ruin added by Tools of Kagrenac.) It'd be great to glance and see my own X or arrow or DEAD END marks. Moving corpses is a bit tedious, and then you only get the message "corpse / no corpse" (or maybe "corpse / no corpse / flaming corpse"), and have to remember what each signifies, instead of actually writing a note.

Maybe I could get a note-writing mod and leave loose pages on the ground? Still not as good as chalk.

Yeah I vaguely remember one mod dungeon that was not only a maze but ended up having you need to close every gate you went through (zillions of gates) behind you in order to open the final gate to the boss/exit. I was running around in circles for probably 2.5 hours.

I just had an epiphany and looked up a graffiti mod. This is an oldrim mod, but if you use a nif optimizer you can get the textures to work in SE and I think that might be just the thing. Plus I guess you can use your own pictures, so you can spray paint a Counter Strike terrorist or anime or whatever you want!