Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They mean production. Civs IV and V used hammers; VI replaced the icon with a cog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Washington is a good training wheels military choice. Play continents and build ~4 cites then crank out 8 warriors and you should be able to roll over your neighbor. Add in an archer or two if their military gives you trouble and battering rams/ siege towers if they make it to walls.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Am I using special people right when they only have an activated bonus, where I put then in the right tiles and activate em?

always use them asap

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

GodFish posted:

Washington is a good training wheels military choice. Play continents and build ~4 cites then crank out 8 warriors and you should be able to roll over your neighbor. Add in an archer or two if their military gives you trouble and battering rams/ siege towers if they make it to walls.

That build order sucks and would lose against 90% of players.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Pewdiepie posted:

What's that got to do with it?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Krazyface posted:

What's that got to do with it?

don't you see? if you aren't playing against HARD CORE CIVILIZATION PRO GAMERS then are you even playing a game?????

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

always use them asap

That is the best rule of thumb, when in doubt use the great person immediately. If you don't want to think any deeper than that, you will serve yourself well AND you wont have tons of great people clogging up your movement queue. There are niche cases like the dude who builds walls I typically will hold onto if I have a larger empire and wait to see what direction I'm being attacked from before using him, or if you would get a random eureka from the tech tree from a great scientist and you are about to finish an unboosted tech from that era in a turn or two, it can be beneficial to wait. Or with great prophets, if you are a turn or two away from completing a holy site in another city it can be beneficial to wait so that city will also immediately convert to your new religion upon using the great prophet. So I might ask myself, "Will I gain greater advantage using this great person elsewhere, or by waiting?" 9 times out of ten the answer is no, but every now and again weird stuff happens.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Got lots of museums of both kinds (not sure if that's optimising) and have been rushing broadcast centres with my near limitless income.

How do rock bands work exactly? The only other game I tried them they kept having failed performances.

The religion stuff in general confuses me too

I mean optimizing in the sense of theming. Pairing portraits with portraits. Or ancient artifacts with ancient artifacts.

Rock bands give a burst of tourism pressure against another civ. In general, you should probably expect to lose them right away, but occasionally you'll have some that live on. Almost make sure to use that free promotion you get out of the gate and exploit it. If you get "Performs as if 2 levels more experienced on Theater Square district tiles," then only use it on Theater squares.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I would use them on wonders as well as you get lots of extra tourism from that, so it's worth the risk. When you play at high levels you'll start seeing AI Rock bands zooming about the place towards the end of the game , funnily enough they'll manage to pop them off for 10,000+ tourism multiple times when they're in your territory, while most of yours will die with less than 1000 generated on their first use...

Also still haven't figured out what album sales means.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Pewdiepie posted:

If they're learning the ropes they probably aren't going up against any players and as long as their difficulty isn't too high that'll give them a good feel for how combat goes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Rock bands by default have a 50% chance of disbanding whenever they play. This goes down as they level up, and it does factor in any "play as if you were 2 levels higher on X tile" bonuses. If you're planning on using them to gain tourism, you should always go for one of those bonuses and stick to the bonus tiles until they gain a level or two.

Marmaduke! posted:

Also still haven't figured out what album sales means.

This affects the tourism generated per concert. I've no idea what the specific math is, but when you see AI bands generate 10 000 tourism a pop, it's because they've accrued a ton of album sales.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Got my first victory by sending the Holy Roman Empire to Mars. Woo.

Now to play my first game with the expansions.

E: holy poo poo the expansions change things

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 5, 2020

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

This affects the tourism generated per concert. I've no idea what the specific math is, but when you see AI bands generate 10 000 tourism a pop, it's because they've accrued a ton of album sales.

Good to know, thanks. In my current game I have just unlocked Rock Bands and also won the World Congress event for extra album sales, so I'll keep an eye out to see if I'm getting good tourism...

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 5, 2020

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
So like, you can either play with gathering storm or Rise and Fall, but not both? Just wanna be sure. Honestly that's probably for the best, cause I am already overwhelmed by mechanics

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Terra-da-loo! posted:

So like, you can either play with gathering storm or Rise and Fall, but not both? Just wanna be sure. Honestly that's probably for the best, cause I am already overwhelmed by mechanics

Gathering Storm includes Rise and Fall stuff.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Chad Sexington posted:

Gathering Storm includes Rise and Fall stuff.

Ah, okay. Thanks.

Definitely have a love/hate relationship with this game right now, but I figure as I continue to get the hang of it, the confusion causing the aggravation will probably subside

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

GodFish posted:

If they're learning the ropes they probably aren't going up against any players and as long as their difficulty isn't too high that'll give them a good feel for how combat goes.

You can get a good feel from watching numbers go up in cookie clicker. Theres a challenging and interesting game available in civilization 6 for those who want to play it and improve.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Pewdiepie posted:

Theres a challenging and interesting game available in civilization 6 for those who want to play it and improve.
This is actually not true. There's nothing remotely challenging out of civilization 6, and the game is rife with "strictly optimal" choices that make it very uninteresting.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Pewdiepie posted:

You can get a good feel from watching numbers go up in cookie clicker. There’s a challenging and interesting game available in civilization 6 for those who want to play it and improve.

I'm not sure you understand what words mean

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Definitely have a love/hate relationship with this game right now, but I figure as I continue to get the hang of it, the confusion causing the aggravation will probably subside

As you slowly evolve into a Civ fan, frustration at the complexity of the game will be replaced with frustration at the simplicity of the AI. But there's a brief moment of absolute enjoyment between those, when it comes make the most of it

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
How is Civ if you play against actual people?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Good fun with empire building but I've always found that as soon as you have a serious war it becomes about who can click the fastest. See the Red Death scenario for a short example.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Ah, okay. Thanks.

The confusion will go away and be replaced with annoyance once all of the glaring and ignored issues become obvious. But you'll get a good 10 hours of enjoyment when you are in the place between these two levels of awareness.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

As you slowly evolve into a Civ fan, frustration at the complexity of the game will be replaced with frustration at the simplicity of the AI. But there's a brief moment of absolute enjoyment between those, when it comes make the most of it

Looks like I was beaten.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Lol, well, I look forward to those few hours of enjoyment. As it stands, I think I'm decent enough against AI. Working on either a Scientific or Diplomatic victory as the Maori right now. Would have had the Dip victory already, but the world congress hosed me over.

E: I will say, I'm pretty bad at warring. I try to avoid it mostly, cause i almost always wind up at a technological disadvantage, despite almost always being way ahead in science and tech.

E2: as such a poor warlord, I'm afraid to even try playing online

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 6, 2020

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Lol, well, I look forward to those few hours of enjoyment. As it stands, I think I'm decent enough against AI. Working on either a Scientific or Diplomatic victory as the Maori right now. Would have had the Dip victory already, but the world congress hosed me over.

E: I will say, I'm pretty bad at warring. I try to avoid it mostly, cause i almost always wind up at a technological disadvantage, despite almost always being way ahead in science and tech.

Diplo victories are poorly designed and probably the hardest wincon to get. Science and culture are both relatively straightforward with the main difference being that culture rewards you for meeting other civs as soon as possible, science sort of ignores them. Religion and domination are effectively 2 roads down the same path - and both are far more straightforward with fewer civs on the board (I'm not sure if winning a 12 civ game with religion or domination is even possible).

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
What are the conditions for a culture victory? I almost got one once but it was before I had the DLC, so I figure they changed it up a bit, like how they did with science

E: another probably dumb question. What exactly does it mean by "garrison?" Like, not a definition. How do you do it? I mean. Is it just leaving troops in a city or is it a special mechanic or whatever?

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 6, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah garrison is just a miliary unit standing around inside the city.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I seem to have run out of places for rock bands to play after sending one. Why is this? Plz help

Edit: figured it out, bands need a name before performing. That's dumb as hell

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 7, 2020

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Still so confused by culture victory. It said I was one culture domination away from winning but doesn't tell me who or what to do and even though I was within 7 turns of winning at one point it's now going up? Seems like I'm destroying everyone? What am I doing wrong?

Plz excuse the tv photos, playing on xbox.

The Clitoris
Jan 29, 2020

Finding it makes all of your dreams come true
Don't feel bad, that screen is super loving dumb in explaining how the victory works. The reason why I'm not doing it now is that I also don't understand it

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I feel bad because it seems like every turn I take is sabotaging my chances to win. :( Plzzzz help someone.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I feel bad because it seems like every turn I take is sabotaging my chances to win. :( Plzzzz help someone.

you're right it makes next to no sense because civ 6's UI is a nightmare. but if you want the dirty fix, try to identify the player who is stopping you from winning, build a futuristic army, and raze the poo poo out of their cities

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The White Dragon posted:

you're right it makes next to no sense because civ 6's UI is a nightmare. but if you want the dirty fix, try to identify the player who is stopping you from winning, build a futuristic army, and raze the poo poo out of their cities

...how do I identify them though? There's no information that I can see. I suspect maybe the Mongols but I have no idea. And every invasion I try has been a disaster.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
You need to get more tourists coming to you than your biggest cultural rival has of his own. So Genghis there has about 200 tourists and you need that many to win. So keep doing tourist-generating things (especially Rock Bands), and if you can beat down Genghis a bit that will help. Also try and get open borders and trade routes with everyone.

On the other side of the coin, you have over 600 of your own internal tourists so that's how many they would need to win a culture victory, and that ain't gonna happen.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Marmaduke! posted:

You need to get more tourists coming to you than your biggest cultural rival has of his own. So Genghis there has about 200 tourists and you need that many to win. So keep doing tourist-generating things (especially Rock Bands), and if you can beat down Genghis a bit that will help. Also try and get open borders and trade routes with everyone.

On the other side of the coin, you have over 600 of your own internal tourists so that's how many they would need to win a culture victory, and that ain't gonna happen.

Thank you! At least I know to target them now.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Dear lord I forget how confusing that internal/foreign visitor thing is, it's appalling. It is in fact, so bad that I recommend people never lay eyes on that particular screen, and just read up on Civ5's culture wiki since it's the same mechanic.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

... and now Genghis is prohibiting rock concerts. So war is my only option?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Terra-da-loo! posted:

What are the conditions for a culture victory? I almost got one once but it was before I had the DLC, so I figure they changed it up a bit, like how they did with science

E: another probably dumb question. What exactly does it mean by "garrison?" Like, not a definition. How do you do it? I mean. Is it just leaving troops in a city or is it a special mechanic or whatever?

Culture victories rely on tourism. There are different ways of generating tourism (and I'll give a few examples), but it is poorly explained in the game. Tourism is generated per turn, and is compared to each other civ's cumulative culture output. So, as an example - if you're generating 100 tourism per turn, you meet a civ with 490 cumulative culture (meaning from turn 1), but they're only generating 1 per turn, you will have a tourism victory over that civ in 5 turns. You have to do this for every civilization in the game individually - it's not a straight shot like a science victory.

Most of your tourism will probably be from general tourism - everyone gets this via World Wonders, relics, great works, and certain buildings and improvements. Religious tourism is also a thing but is only relevant if you found a religion - I'm going to leave it out of this post.

You can only generate tourism with a civ once you've met them, and it's compared against their accumulated culture. So if you're playing on Huge Archipelago and you don't find that last civ until turn 400 for some reason, well...good luck, they have 400 turns worth of culture accumulation that you have to overcome. Exploration until you find the civs is important.

Tourism scales a lot - it is almost universally a late game wincon, though different leader bonuses can ramp it up at different times. A lot of the ramp comes from policy cards and your relationship with other civs - things like open borders, trade routes, etc. can provide significant boosts. While it's important to meet civs early, your late game tourism numbers should be absolutely massive compared to any civ's culture output - culture generally scales linearly, it doesn't get the modifiers like tourism.

With Gathering Storm you also get Rock Bands. Think of Rock Bands as the equivalent of a nuclear bomb for tourism - they can generate huge amounts with a specific civilization, but they can also break up and no longer be useful. That said, you can only get them via faith and the cost ramps up similar to apostles.

If you want to pursue a cultural victory, I'd strongly recommend picking a civ that's good at it (Pericles for Greece is a solid choice, Cyrus of Persia is also good, and while I haven't tried it (but I think I will after I hit post), Kristina of Sweden is supposed to be fantastic.

TL;DR: Generate tons of culture to get policy cards that benefit tourism, get great artists/musicians/writers, wonders, etc. Figure out how to exploit your leadership ability (Steam used Zigzagzigal has guides out for every leader and civ that are pretty comprehensive), and go for it. Cultural victories often mean keeping just enough of an army to discourage attackers, utilize walls (these generate tourism in the late game!), turtling, and then having an explosive mid or late game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

#1 rule of wars in civ 5+6:
ranged units are king. ranged units are king. ranged units are king.

say it with me
ranged units are king

you're going to want a ratio of 3~5:1 ranged:melee. broken down further, you'll want about 33% of your total ranged units to be siege. the key is maximizing your ranged surface area so you can snipe units, hit cities, etc. the strategy is to force them to approach you in terrain that costs a lot of movement points (or force-ends turns, like across rivers) so you can get free hits on them, killing them all before they ever even reach you. you want your guys on hills, and you want lots of modern siege units because those can ignore terrain that blocks vision like forests, hills, and mountains. dirigibles adjacent to ranged units also increase their natural range by 1, not sure if this stacks anymore but it used to.

the AI is incredibly stupid, unbelievably stupid, so unlike a human player, they will happily cross a river without a bridge to reach you. they'll funnel you all the kills you could ever ask for without ever considering, "why are all my things dying without me getting a single hit in?" the AI also tends to build fairly evenly or even weighted in favor of melee units, so if you do run into ranged units, you should be able to wipe them out with sheer numbers.

if he's on another continent, you're going to want maybe 6-8 ranged naval units to help the initial landing because that's when the the AI's armies are going to be at full strength. if you can get some open borders from one of his neighbors and sneak in from behind, all units already landed, that's absolutely preferable. but build the boats anyway because they can plink at anything that gets too close to the coast.

it shouldn't take too long to build a good army--i'd say four squads of 3~5 ranged+1melee, that's not even 24 units and if you don't have at least 24 cities in the endgame then that's part of the reason you aren't hitting that tourism sweet spot--if you immediately switch all your cities to military production right now at the indicated ratios.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You gotta fight for your right to party