Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gort posted:

When are Kislev getting a proper lineup anyway

I thought War Wagons were basically one of Kislev's things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Maybe in WH3.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm into pretty much all the foreseeable wh3 races assuming it's demons, chorfs,???? And ogres. I'm most excited for ogres. Giant cannibal mongolians with cannons as handguns Yes! Especially looking forward to how OP all the mods make them.

I hope they don't lean into the gnoblar stuff too much cause I think a whole monstrous infantry and monster faction would be interesting.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I desperately want CA to go for broke and get Cathay in there. I know it would require them to cut poo poo out of whole cloth, and that's part of why I want them to do it.

Crazy dragons, terracotta automatons, jade constructs, etc., plus they're a "good guy humans" faction in a game with two "bad guy" factions and one "morally grey/incredibly fat" faction.

I'm guessing either Cathay or Kislev for faction #4.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

rats, we're rats, we're the rats

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Gonkish posted:

I desperately want CA to go for broke and get Cathay in there. I know it would require them to cut poo poo out of whole cloth, and that's part of why I want them to do it.

Crazy dragons, terracotta automatons, jade constructs, etc., plus they're a "good guy humans" faction in a game with two "bad guy" factions and one "morally grey/incredibly fat" faction.

I'm guessing either Cathay or Kislev for faction #4.

I would love for this to happen

But I also wanted Araby despite being thinking it was racist to use names from that region

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Just finished my 5th ME Grimgor game in SFO. Archaon sits above 110 MA and MD in the mod so even with shaman buffs Grimgor just got wittled down :( Azhag autoresolved after and campaign was over.

May try Dark Elves in SFO next.

Glad campaign is over though. Naggarond had taken over all of Ulthuan and the Southlands to become practically unstoppable. Smoked four of their armies off the coast of Tilea and the balance of power bar in Diplomacy didn't move at all lol

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 3, 2020

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Cathay depends entirely on how much they think the Chinese market slice justifies repeating the long process that produced Cylostra and Sacred Kroxigors but for every single aspect of a faction :v:

Re: Ogres I hope sieges get an overhaul in 3 because otherwise having a faction unable to be on top of walls sounds bad.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I will say that I'm pretty sure that even outside of Three Kingdoms Total War, I'm sure that Warhammer has a solid fanbase in China, judging from how many Chinese mods I see pop up on the workshop regularly.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

toasterwarrior posted:

I will say that I'm pretty sure that even outside of Three Kingdoms Total War, I'm sure that Warhammer has a solid fanbase in China, judging from how many Chinese mods I see pop up on the workshop regularly.

Kislev: characitures of eastern Europeans as heroic bear riders
Chaos Dwarfs: characiture of Ottoman Turks as less constrained muderous dwarfs
Ogres: Characiture of the American middle class

Can the mysterious fourth race be a newly created Australian characiture themed army to rope in the 'juicey' market I'm a part of? I want fair dinkum bunyips, dropbears and gumnut babies kicking the everliving poo poo out of all the elves!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Well you made the mistake of assuming kislev is a major faction and not a game 3 dlc race

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

They have to offer some kind of good guy race, since a majority of players like those, and your choices are Kislev or Cathay more or less. Kislev is much more fleshed out, if not a full faction, while Cathay would need to be made whole cloth....granted if Cathay would be in they would be in at the start thanks to defining where the map ends.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I wonder if GW would let them make Cathy. Even after vampire coast and Norsa, they still pointed out that they were factions that had white dwarf army lists (I know Vamp coast did, not 100% sure about Norsa) and other units were all pulled from lore and and discontinued product lines. Cathy would really be just making it up whole cloth and GW is GW.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GW should let CA make Cathay with only loose oversight because GW is bringing the Old World back anyway, so they can just write their own poo poo about it when they want to.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

There's enough lore snippets to probably put together the barebones of a Cathay army. Maybe a "Westward Expedition" if they wanted to keep the map to the Mountains of Mourn.

I would have ruled them out entirely, until 3K sold like gangbusters.

Although would/does Warhammer make it past Chinese censorship? I have a very limited understanding of China's censorship practices, but wouldn't CA have to remove/alter a majority of Undead faction units?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Honestly you don't even need to give them an army list. All you need to do is make Dogs of War Mercenaries part of the game and then give the eastern and southern human realms region specific reskins of Empire or Bretonnian units.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

I dont know posted:

I wonder if GW would let them make Cathy. Even after vampire coast and Norsa, they still pointed out that they were factions that had white dwarf army lists (I know Vamp coast did, not 100% sure about Norsa) and other units were all pulled from lore and and discontinued product lines. Cathy would really be just making it up whole cloth and GW is GW.

CA, to their credit, have included new stuff based on how fun and different the factions are. They could just flip some rogue armies along with the Border Princes/Tilea/Estalia into the Dogs of War as a starting faction but Cathay sound like more fun...which may mean they are DLC candidates.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Although would/does Warhammer make it past Chinese censorship? I have a very limited understanding of China's censorship practices, but wouldn't CA have to remove/alter a majority of Undead faction units?

Ahhh no, not really. The undead haven't recognised Taiwan as an independent country.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

A Perfect Twist posted:

Ahhh no, not really. The undead haven't recognised Taiwan as an independent country.

Of course not. If someplace exists, then it belongs to Settra!

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

A Perfect Twist posted:

Kislev: characitures of eastern Europeans as heroic bear riders
Chaos Dwarfs: characiture of Ottoman Turks as less constrained muderous dwarfs
Ogres: Characiture of the American middle class

Can the mysterious fourth race be a newly created Australian characiture themed army to rope in the 'juicey' market I'm a part of? I want fair dinkum bunyips, dropbears and gumnut babies kicking the everliving poo poo out of all the elves!

I always saw the Chorfs as more Assyrian than Ottoman tbh

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

CA has come out pretty strongly against any factions without some kind of lore support/an army list, when they explicitly said they wouldn't be doing Araby (and they actually have a warmaster list). Obvs Vampire Coast argues against that a little, but at least noctilus and harkon were preexisting characters. Cathay as a faction would be well outside of what GW has let them do so far. Unless we see some not-china Heavenly Army for Age of Sigmar come out i wouldnt hold my breath

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Just finished a Clan Angrund Dwarf campaign!

Didn't do too hot early on as I overexpanded in the Badlands, which meant I kept losing minor territories (causing grudges), getting raided (causing grudges) and losing beat-up armies that were running around trying to put out fires... causing grudges. Once I committed to just holding Eightpeaks and building up things slowly turned around though. It was good for diplomacy too, beating up Greenskins and Skaven non-stop for 100 turns meant I was easily on-side with the Order Giga-alliance.

Main Dwarfs got huge, as did Karl, Tyrion and Louen (and the Border Princes, for some reason - they held most of what used to be Vampire Counts) so between all of them and my Badlands empire the Dwarf Holds were all allied together. Chaos showed up which just fed more factions into the superalliance like Hexoatl and I witnessed poor ol' Archeon got his face kicked in by a dozen armies around turn 180. That was everything for the short campaign victory!

Literally the very next turn, I took Kraka Drak and triggered the long campaign victory :confuoot:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Played some War1 now and it's fun, I'll grab 2/DLC if I see them on sale. Is there any kind of consensus or list or whatever of what DLC's worth getting because the faction and/or campaign is really fun, and which are just Bad?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
in terms of faction dlc vampire coast is the best by a mile and anyone who disagrees is a pansy elf. tomb kings is pretty good. only get the others if you're particularly interested in the faction

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Get the DLC for factions that you think are fun to play. There's no real best of/worst of list.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I've been doing beastmen in a campaign. Helping out my newbie friend play tomb kings by burning all his enemies to the ground. What should my armies look like besides minotaurs? And minotaurs? And minotaurs with great weapons.

Lore of the wilds is real good until you start fighting heavy armored people and viletide doesn't work

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Flakey posted:

Get the DLC for factions that you think are fun to play. There's no real best of/worst of list.

How am I supposed to know which I think are fun to play before I can play them?????

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Insurrectionist posted:

How am I supposed to know which I think are fun to play before I can play them?????

Some of the DLCs add new lords and mechanics to already-existing factions. They're saying to only buy those ones if you like the faction in the first place. The ones that add whole factions (Vampire Coast and Tomb Kings) are very good.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jarvisi posted:

I've been doing beastmen in a campaign. Helping out my newbie friend play tomb kings by burning all his enemies to the ground. What should my armies look like besides minotaurs? And minotaurs? And minotaurs with great weapons.

Lore of the wilds is real good until you start fighting heavy armored people and viletide doesn't work

Cygors! 20 of them!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Some of the DLCs add new lords and mechanics to already-existing factions. They're saying to only buy those ones if you like the faction in the first place. The ones that add whole factions (Vampire Coast and Tomb Kings) are very good.

Okay cool I'll look at those first then thanks

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

dogstile posted:

Cygors! 20 of them!

But that's so boring :(

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Insurrectionist posted:

Fair point, I should have said "look fun".

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Make sure you grab all the freeLC, and make sure all your stuff from Ham 1 has carried over to the second game (it's kind of temperamental). All the factions and lords you've unlocked in the first game should be available in the second.

As far as new stuff goes:
-Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast are both fun as hell, and quite different to all the other factions in the game. TK do not need money for recruitment or unit upkeep; their entire economy is about building up their cities. Vampirates are like a horde faction that also owns territory, and combine the normal undead strengths with a shitload of guns. I would recommend both of these eventually, but there's plenty of good stuff in the base game for the time being.

The Queen and the Crone adds a pair of new lords to the two elf factions, as well as a bunch of extra units. It's fine, it's more variety, but honestly both of those factions are fine without them. Low priority.

The Prophet and the Warlock also adds two lords and a bunch of extra units, for the lizardmen and skaven. I'd say this one is a little more important; it includes some of the best (and funnest) units on the skaven roster, and they feel pretty anemic without it. Also the new skaven lord is absolutely busted good, while the new lizard lord starts off up to his neck in rats, if either of those situations appeals to you. I'd recommend getting this one if you want to play rats.

The Hunter and the Beast adds a special faction of horde-lizards (fun, but a bit one-dimensional), and a faction of Imperials colonising Lustria (challenging, because they have to ship in most of their units). Again, it's pretty good, but there's no reason to buy it until you want to play as one of those factions, and there's no reason to start out with them.

The Shadow and the Blade adds a ninja-rat lord (plus new units) and an even-more-emo-than-usual dark elf. Haven't bought this one. Again, it's good for when you want something new, but the game feels complete without it.

And just to be clear, all of this stuff is in your copy of the game already-- it's just limited to the AI. Buying these DLCs simply allows you to play as these lords, or use these units.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Flakey posted:

Fair point, I should have said "look fun".

I know from my time playing tabletop that Vampires, are good. And Tomb Kings are posers, because I played Vampires and my friend played TK. But I will give them a chance.

I also played Dark Elves despite not being an edgy teen at all...I guess I got all my angst out through moving miniatures in formation around a table.

Krazyface posted:

lots of words

Skaven always seemed the most fun gameplay wise so I'm tempted to grab their related DLC, but it might be safer to wait. I've seen mentioned some places that Skaven were 'boring' on launch and only got fun after DLC, but does that fun come to base Skaven through patched-in systems and mechanics as well, or just from the content you have to actually buy (or is it just horseshit)?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Skaven are kinda boring for me because i don't like the playstyle. It's fun to experience the first time, but it basically devolves into you setting up a line of gunners and then just leaving it on fast forward.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Insurrectionist posted:

Skaven always seemed the most fun gameplay wise so I'm tempted to grab their related DLC, but it might be safer to wait. I've seen mentioned some places that Skaven were 'boring' on launch and only got fun after DLC, but does that fun come to base Skaven through patched-in systems and mechanics as well, or just from the content you have to actually buy (or is it just horseshit)?
I never really played them pre-Prophet and the Warlock, which added Jezzails (long range sniper weapons team) and Ratling Gunners (long-ish range rapid fire suppression & AP gunner team) which allows you to go full gunline and murder things at significant range. I enjoy that gameplay a lot for some reason so I love Skaven gameplay, especially if you use the Undercity mechanic that was added as a part of that DLC to get your food throughput through the roof.

Like dogstile said, though, that gameplay can get boring for some people.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Is there any way to play War1 saves in War2 at all? Or do I have to keep playing them in War1 (or just abandon)?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

Is there any way to play War1 saves in War2 at all? Or do I have to keep playing them in War1 (or just abandon)?
No, and there are a lot of changes to WH1 races anyway.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

No, and there are a lot of changes to WH1 races anyway.

Cool, didn't have any I was super attached to anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

So I wanted to continue my campaign today and I realize that TW:WH2 has forgotten that I claimed the Von Carstein and Jade Wizard DLCs from Game 1, so my campaigns won't load.

According to the Steam Library I DO own those DLCs (along with all the others from Game 1 and 2 except for the Eshin and the Edgelord) but the game's like "nah you don't". The DLC manager in my Steam library says they're "downloading" which is a bunch of lies since nothing is moving in Steam's Downloads section.

I've tried:

-Downloading them from the green store page (it just tries to install WH1)
-Restarting Steam a bunch of times.
-Verify integrity of game cache
-Unchecking/checking then saving the broken DLCs in the Manage DLC window (Steam downloads 0KB and prompts that the game is ready to play but the DLCs don't stick in game and they're still "Downloading")

Do I have to reinstall WH1 again so they stick? I'm on really slow internet so I'd rather not.

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 4, 2020