Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the earth is dying anyway we may as well destroy precision instruments for page views and clicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Maximum Leader posted:

his channel is less about good tech advice and more about watching him gently caress around with and drop expensive stuff. nuking his own raid and loving up the iMac is exactly what makes his channel good.

that's fair, i just wouldn't say he knows a lot about computers

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

infernal machines posted:

wow, server systems you say?

is that why he nuked his own raid by building it in the dumbest possible way? or how about when he hosed up his imac pro and then got mad that it wasn't covered by warranty?

the "minutia" being the level of detail needed to be knowledgeable about computers, for example, being able to do a basic google search for raid modes and comprehend what you've read, or read an irepair guide and understand how to avoid loving up your $5k workstation.

nailed it

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

and he's got computer youtube's most punchable face, i get a visceral reaction everytime i see one of his youtube thumbnails

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Tankakern posted:

and he's got computer youtube's most punchable face, i get a visceral reaction everytime i see one of his youtube thumbnails

that's also every youtuber ever

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My parents are sticking to 32-bit. I like my memory 64-bit accessible.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

wow, server systems you say?

is that why he nuked his own raid by building it in the dumbest possible way? or how about when he hosed up his imac pro and then got mad that it wasn't covered by warranty?

the "minutia" being the level of detail needed to be knowledgeable about computers, for example, being able to do a basic google search for raid modes and comprehend what you've read, or read an irepair guide and understand how to avoid loving up your $5k workstation.

:goonsay:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i bet i wore socks/sandals at least once with the bright orange windbreaker-material pants i bought at old navy circa 2001

It's pretty comfortable. Personally, I don't let internet memes dictated what I wear.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Lambert posted:

It's pretty comfortable. Personally, I don't let internet memes dictated what I wear.

an elon musk fan claims to be a free thinker who doesn't follow trends, quelle surprise

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tankakern posted:

https://twitter.com/linustech/status/1185041682078650368?s=21

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
if you want to watch someone competent you watch level1techs, if you want memes and the latest hardware configured in dumb ways you watch linus

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
the year is 2040. Linus is awarded the Turing Award for his contributions to computer science

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Lutha Mahtin posted:

an elon musk fan claims to be a free thinker who doesn't follow trends, quelle surprise

Elon Musk is a moron, and hyperloop is the project of his I detest the most. I just think goons are dead wrong about Tesla.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Perplx posted:

if you want to watch someone competent you watch level1techs, if you want memes and the latest hardware configured in dumb ways you watch linus

why would you want to watch a computer toucher at all

i mean looking in the mirror in the morning is already painful enough

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can’t afford the privilege of ripping my own threads, and I’m shamefully forced to watch those threads get ripped a new rear end in a top hat on youtube

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Bored Online posted:

the year is 2040. Linus is awarded the Turing Award for his contributions to computer science

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
el capitan on amd

apple fans prepare to be disappointed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what does that have to do with apple

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

echinopsis posted:

what does that have to do with apple

it's one of the not-cat OS names

bring back the cats

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
bring back rats

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

echinopsis posted:

the earth is dying anyway we may as well destroy precision instruments for page views and clicks

Don’t look up smartphone drop tests on youtube

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
love it when people predictably shoot the next apple product with a high caliber rifle to try to win the attention of their father

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

echinopsis posted:

bring back rats

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I used to be on the fence about Linus, but I've decided that I like his bright, cheery, goofy dork aesthetic and I'm pretty sure hes not a closet white nationalist, which is about all you can ask for in this, the hell year 2020

:same:

i dont understand how the channel brings in enough money to support all the people who work for it (even excluding that they're in canada and so healthcare is a much more solved problem than if it was the USA) or how they afford the super expensive stuff that isn't blatantly loaned from a manufactur

but idgaf good on em :yeah:

its 2020

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

echinopsis posted:

good news!

youtube contains a buncha metrology nerd bullshit thats keeping vernier gauges and surface plates and the interferometers that check their flatness etc, alive!

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

echinopsis posted:

love it when people predictably shoot the next apple product with a high caliber rifle to try to win the attention of their father

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

el capitan on amd

apple fans prepare to be disappointed

exaflop sounds like what happens after a long day when you relax onto the couch and your girdle pops open helpfully, on its own accord

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Lutha Mahtin posted:

exaflop sounds like what happens after a long day when you relax onto the couch and your girdle pops open helpfully, on its own accord

*Juggalos rush a national laboratory*

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

bugs is the best role model i had while growing up

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Bulgakov posted:

bugs is the best role model i had while growing up

"If someone wants to hurt you, annoy the poo poo out of them until they give up."

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Tankakern posted:

that’s just how Canadians look

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

akadajet posted:

that’s just how Canadians look

hey!

just built a ripper of threads. the tr4 cpu socket is loving hilarious though. goddamn two layer lock mechanism and a slide-in tray to make sure those CJs don't gently caress up

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just watched a video on it, seems good and foolproof somewhat

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I used to be on the fence about Linus, but I've decided that I like his bright, cheery, goofy dork aesthetic and I'm pretty sure hes not a closet white nationalist, which is about all you can ask for in this, the hell year 2020

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Linus also unabashedly wears socks and sandals everywhere, further cementing that aesthetic

linus is a loving barbarian, but i am at least middling certain he is not a white supremacist, which puts him in the top half of leading people in technology

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Linus is when you give money to that annoyingly energetic kid who works for geek squad

but let's shut the gently caress up about youtuber dipshits. this thread is about amd

and amd is good as hell

burning swine
May 26, 2004

hey!

just built a ripper of threads. the tr4 cpu socket is loving hilarious though. goddamn two layer lock mechanism and a slide-in tray to make sure those CJs don't gently caress up

drat thats a big improvement over AM4

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Waking up in the morning and walking by that 128-threaded beast continuously makes me want to softly whisper some dirty talk to it as, man, that thing is sexy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

burning swine posted:

drat thats a big improvement over AM4

am4 looks like it would be comfortable in 1999