Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/hamiltonnolan/status/1234940221470445569

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

if biden wins against trump that's a solid hedge against an important part of the left's critique of the democratic party's project, namely that neoliberal managerialism is a dead ideology and will not be able to win. if the left turns out for biden, it's asserting its own irrelevance. nobody on the left should countenance a vote for joe biden in 2020

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Well, no. But people who were talking about a general strike before? It might be time to seriously revisit that.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

bobjr posted:

Does Biden 2020 have a slogan yet?

Friend of Republicans Everywhere

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

bobjr posted:

"Vote for Bernie while there's still time"

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

bobjr posted:

You Can’t Teach An Old Dog New Tricks

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

evilweasel posted:

You’re advocating losing the 2020 election, which will all but ensure climate change can not be stopped.

It's too bad the guy who's got the worst chance of winning the election has the full weight of the Democratic establishment behind him

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nocturtle posted:

Is there any indication of Warren and/or Bloomberg dropping out? IMO if there's a path for Sanders to win it includes some one-on-one primary debates where Biden's sadly growing incoherence becomes impossible to ignore.
Warren is not

Bloomberg was supposed to be meeting with his advisors today. I would not be shocked if he is done now that his goal of denying Bernie the nomination is almost complete

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CubanMissile posted:

And what is Joe Biden gonna do to stop either of those things?

Oh, he's gonna let the upper-middle class white people (who are actually the real underprivileged minority) go back to brunch and stop thinking about politics for a while. That's the solution, right?

evilweasel posted:

You’re advocating losing the 2020 election, which will all but ensure climate change can not be stopped.

No, I think they should nominate Bernie and win. You think they should nominate a sundowning slightly more decorous Trump who would obviously lose.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

nelson posted:

Young people liked going to Bernie’s rallies but didn’t like going to vote: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...016/4947795002/

Maybe we should start blaming young people for not voting instead of blaming olds for always voting.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Draynar posted:

I think it's that no malarkey thing? God it's so bad lol.

Oh god, it's like tailor-made for boomers

Just gently caress everything

Also I want to make it clear that yeah I will crawl over glass to vote against Trump, but I mean Jesus christ for Biden?

...Just loving Really?! Really universe?!

I already had to vote for Hillary in 2016. Just come the gently caress on and give me a break

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 4, 2020

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

bobjr posted:

Cages4Kids, Not Medicare4All

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

evilweasel posted:

you're advocating basically nothing changing from the status quo which led to the climate change

Actually I take that back. 'advocating' implies you actually stand for something, when the truth is more like performative posting of useless non-opinions.

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

bobjr posted:

Nothing Matters, Embrace Death

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Shere posted:

It's not even close to over.

I don't really have anything to add, I just want people reading the thread to get a break between all of the doomsaying.

No, I'm sorry, we've now faced the slightest bit of resistance and therefore must capitulate and give up. It's in the rules.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Straight White Shark posted:

We watched Trump Kool-Aid Man his way through the wall of endorsements against him in 2016 and decided (if we hadn't already) that we needed our own populist insurgent to counter him, but Democrats listen to the establishment in a way that Republicans don't.

Our own populist insurgent would have to Kool-Aid Man through the entrenched interests the same as Trump. I don’t know why Bernie can’t seem to do it but he can’t. Trump is a general dumpster fire of a human being but the one thing he’s actually good at showmanship. That’s what Obama was good at too, so maybe that’s what we actually need. People don’t respond to policy or competence. It’s a giant popularity show.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Remember last night when that guy was insisting that all the young people were just still at work which is why exit polling had them barely showing up and Biden swept the early results?

That was great. Good times y'all.

Yeah there's always a couple of those. Plus one or two people shouting "the fix is in" when a news network calls a race with 0% reporting, like the guy at the news desk hit the Lie About the Results button a few minutes too early and not just that their exit polling had them confident in the outcome.

Not everyone follows elections closely so they're understandable mistakes :shrug:

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Flapjack Monty posted:

Nothing Matters, Embrace Death

Finally, an honest voice in politics.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

nelson posted:

Young people liked going to Bernie’s rallies but didn’t like going to vote: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...016/4947795002/

I'm pretty sure young people haven't heard of Public Enemy or Dick Van Dyke though

VH4Ever posted:

Well, no. But people who were talking about a general strike before? It might be time to seriously revisit that.

If the issue is "young people don't show up to vote" then "young people go on general strike" may be a harder sell.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Every time I hear a campaign has an edge because of young voters I’m just gonna go ahead and assume it’s a lost cause. Young voters wouldn’t show up to vote even if polling locations offered cocaine and $2 White Claws.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Can't wait to see Anita Hill get brought up by republicans and buried by democrats.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

nelson posted:

We deserve Boomer dominance.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kawalimus posted:

Why would Warren or her supporters stop at this point? She was clearly done after NV and even more clearly after SC. She doesn't care. They don't care. Like that one report said about her, shes a "team player". Shes happy to do her part to maintain the status quo even if it hurts her reputation in the end.

She seems to have gotten 12% in California, a state that was probably more likely than not to support progressives.

Lets see, 17% in CO, 16% in Maine where it was 33.9% Biden to 33% Bernie, 15.4% in MN, she still got 10% in NC, ignoring her home state which was 21%, VA was also 10%.

I think she typically drew between 10% and 15% of the vote; so the idea that y'know the hundreds of thousands of people that supported her don't care I think is unsubstantiated. The first 3-4 states don't prove whether a candidate or not is viable; Bill Clinton famously iirc lost the early states; I think Obama won thanks mainly to super tuesday as well and so on.

So I think there's a lot of reasons, maybe you see them as rationalizations wherein people might be holding onto hope that some sort of upset happens that lets her remain viable, perhaps resulting in a Bernie vs Warren head to head.

Any or all hope for such a thing should be well disabused after Tuesday and I think we'll see a steady drop to between 5% to 9% that will swap to Bernie. I am not saying that all 10-15% would move; but that a substantial chunk would.

I don't know how likely it is but maybe instead of doom and gloom and nihilism you can try to assess ways of forging ahead, tap old forgotten wells for forgotten treasures.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Man, I'm doomin' even harder than I was last night.

I'm supposed to look to the man who made discharging student loans through bankruptcy impossible help with this?

Thanks for sharing. My loans are just as bad with a little bit less principal and a lot more interest. I have two doctorates, and the second one was free besides the accrued interest during it. The 6.5% interest on federal loans is criminal. I was really hoping for a Bernie win. Now that I'm post-docing, I can't save money, because it goes to the loan payment that doesn't even cover the interest.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Electing Biden also ensures climate change cannot be stopped.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

CubanMissile posted:

Every time I hear a campaign has an edge because of young voters I’m just gonna go ahead and assume it’s a lost cause. Young voters wouldn’t show up to vote even if polling locations offered $2 White Claws and cocaine.

I'd ordinarily agree with you but back in 2017 Corbyn pulled off a loving miracle off the back of the youth. He then got turbofucked by media coverage and brexit.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

isn't this bad for GE, good economy is a boost for trump lol

also lol that no one outside of the left will make the connection between biden doing well and some of the worst scum on earth immideately doing better just on the potential of his primary victory

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

warren is dropping today, you got your wish.

https://twitter.com/AsteadWesley/status/1235217320555032577

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If Biden wins the Primary and Trump wins the GE, then AOC needs to run in 2024 with the help of Bernie.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Shere posted:

It's not even close to over.

I don't really have anything to add, I just want people reading the thread to get a break between all of the doomsaying.

I don't see how Bernie makes up this delegate lead Biden has short of Biden totally imploding by saying/doing stupid stuff.

The latter is completely possible but if Biden somehow avoids that its his nomination to lose.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Biden 2020: Nothing Will Fundamentally Change

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

TulliusCicero posted:

Oh god, it's like tailor-made for boomers

Just gently caress everything

Also I want to make it clear that yeah I will crawl over glass to vote against Trump, but I mean Jesus christ for Biden?

...Just loving Really?! Really universe?!

I already had to vote for Hillary in 2016. Just come the gently caress on and give me a break

lol yeah it’s some monkey paw poo poo to have to choose between a fascist and a guy who will set us back decades on several concurrent crises facing young people

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

bobjr posted:

Restore The Soul of America
Our best days still lie ahead
This is America
We are America, second to none
Anything is possible
No Malarkey!

Are all listed as official slogans of Biden 2020.

gently caress

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

If any thing the past week has taught me, destroying the DNC is as important as voting progressives in.

Before I tolerated them, now they must be ripped out of society's positions of power.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Still going to work for Bernie. Next primary is in less than a week. If I still think he's the right choice I gotta keep working for it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Pook Good Mook posted:

Despite what this board thinks, lesser of two evils is actually a real thing. Thinking "Biden and Trump same, haha not voting" is a luxury for people who are well-off and will suffer no consequences either way. Being able to say, "I'm isolated from the outcome of federal elections" is a position of immense privilege.

What is Biden going to do for poor people that is fundamentally better than Trump?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Mr Hootington posted:

Can't wait to see Anita Hill get brought up by republicans and buried by democrats.

I think Dems can bury Biden’s worst stuff now but no way will they be able to in a general.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

so what? she'll endorse biden and she's done her handler's desires already. a round of applause for being a useful pawn? thanks for showing your true colors liz

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Can always hope for the dream of warren dropping and Bloomberg insisting to stay in. That'd be pretty amazing. (OR if they both drop Warren endorsing Bernie) but realistically probably be reverse of that cause gently caress everything.

Kind of odd next debate is so far away which sucks as Bernie vs Biden alone might actually possibly help going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

mutata posted:

Still going to work for Bernie. Next primary is in less than a week. If I still think he's the right choice I gotta keep working for it.

Sincerely: keep up the good fight! :)