Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

Can't wait to see Anita Hill get brought up by republicans and buried by democrats.

Trump is 100% going to attack Biden for being a racist and a sexist and it is 100% going to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
You know what, gently caress all this doomsaying. Bernie isn't going to give up, and neither should we. This poo poo is not over.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

bobjr posted:

Does Biden 2020 have a slogan yet?

"Biden 2020: Better things aren't possible"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ColdPie posted:

Electing Biden also ensures climate change cannot be stopped.

Wrong.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Watch for if she endorses Biden. That will show whether or not her staying in through Tuesday was to split the Sanders vote or if it was just ego.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

bobjr posted:

I think Dems can bury Biden’s worst stuff now but no way will they be able to in a general.

It is going to be wild when we find out Biden the individual is just Trump

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

dex_sda posted:

I'd ordinarily agree with you but back in 2017 Corbyn pulled off a loving miracle off the back of the youth. He then got turbofucked by media coverage and brexit.

So the campaign with an edge in the youth vote turned out to be a lost cause?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

That doesn't read at all like she's going to drop.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Xombie posted:

If you think that the Dem primaries are rigged against viable alternative candidates, I have bad news for you about how our national election system works for third party candidates.

I get that no one wants to make things worse in the short run, but the party has been moving in the wrong direction since the 90s. You could blame the voters if you want, but progressive issues have been and are still popular with the party, they just somehow always vote for the candidate that doesn't endorse them. That is very much so an established paradigm at this point, and its evident during what is to date our best shot at this, not going to change from within. I get that it sucks to lose the battle but we gotta start looking at the big picture. Climate change is real, and if you think rejoining the paris climate accord will do anything other than pay lipservice to it (which will be undone by the next republican president who will surely come after Biden) you are dead loving wrong. The entire premise of the paris climate accord is kicking the can so far down into the future that our children will need to act on it. If you think Biden will accomplish anything on healthcare, even in the middle of an epidemic scare, you are wrong. The only thing we've learned so far in this primary is no matter how brazenly they stack the field (entire networks running constant negative coverage yet this somehow isn't considered political advertisements, bloomberg being accommodated, rich biased crowds at debates, etc) they don't get punished for it because they control the narrative.

If we don't pull this off this year, its going to take a big paradigm shift to finally address the actual issues we're facing. It might take a few elections to build up viability, but its better than hoping to take back control of a party that is moving in the wrong direction.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

RuanGacho posted:

If any thing the past week has taught me, destroying the DNC is as important as voting progressives in.

Before I tolerated them, now they must be ripped out of society's positions of power.

The current third way Clinton hanger on dominated DNC will never allow a true progressive movement

When we finally get the power, burn it all to the ground

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Xombie posted:

campaigns don't hold meetings to assess viability if they're going to stay in

I think she drops.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Man, I'm doomin' even harder than I was last night.

I'm supposed to look to the man who made discharging student loans through bankruptcy impossible help with this?

Same. My wife and I have about that much between us. I was really, really hoping we'd get some debt relief. We do well, but not so well that a debt load like that isn't still a tremendous burden.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

evilweasel posted:

You’re advocating losing the 2020 election, which will all but ensure climate change can not be stopped.

Stopping climate change requires, well, a time machine. Materially mitigating climate change requires radical immediate action. President Biden isn't doing that unless forced by a general strike or something, as far as I can tell.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

ColdPie posted:

Electing Biden also ensures climate change cannot be stopped.

Climate change went beyond the point of "can be stopped" a few years ago.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Man, I'm doomin' even harder than I was last night.

I'm supposed to look to the man who made discharging student loans through bankruptcy impossible help with this?

Are you still a Libertarian

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

While we can still technically try to blanket the atmosphere in sulfides, I think not doing anything meaningful to stop global warming like Biden would do is still bad

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Pingui posted:

No we did not. What we did see was how much in control of the narrative surrounding electability the MSM still is. Bernie is winning on the issues due to campaigning and organizing, but lost on electability. The messaging is working, but the message should be changed to exposing Bidens frailty as a candidate against Trump.

The strategy of expanding the electorate and motivating people has very clearly failed and we need to come up with something else because the MSM is never going to go our way. Trying to slice and dice the crosstabs of exit polls to try to do some tea leaf reading about what Bernie's organizing did or didn't do is meaninglessness it did not go the most important thing, get people to vote for him.

There's a very good chance that this country just doesn't want good things.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

JawKnee posted:

What is Biden going to do for poor people that is fundamentally better than Trump?

Not install a supreme court justice that would rule medicare for all unconstitutional when the boomers die and we finally get to turn the ship around.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1235220026279579648

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/GarySanchezGOAT/status/1235215347130798080

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Queering Wheel posted:

You know what, gently caress all this doomsaying. Bernie isn't going to give up, and neither should we. This poo poo is not over.

100% this. Biden is going to be on a stage with at most 3 other people and won't be able to hide behind Butt being a big weenie and sucking up the focus of the stage.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lemming posted:

It's too bad the guy who's got the worst chance of winning the election has the full weight of the Democratic establishment behind him

I realize that’s an article of faith among sanders supporters but it is contradicted by all objective evidence. Polling, the primary results, and the 2018 election.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

mutata posted:

Still going to work for Bernie. Next primary is in less than a week. If I still think he's the right choice I gotta keep working for it.

You are amazing :)

I'm also voting for Bernie in Michigan

gently caress maybe this is the wakeup call the left and the youth need to get the gently caress up and actually vote (I say this as a 30 year old millennial who always votes)

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

I’ll be gutted if Biden is the nominee, but given goons’ track records on predictions I’m also hesitant to fully buy into “Biden will be an unmitigated disaster” line of thinking.

That being said, even president Bernie would have to get poo poo through congress and I’m not really sure what this says about our prospects to pass any real meaty legislation even if Bernie pulls it off.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Pook Good Mook posted:

Despite what this board thinks, lesser of two evils is actually a real thing. Thinking "Biden and Trump same, haha not voting" is a luxury for people who are well-off and will suffer no consequences either way. Being able to say, "I'm isolated from the outcome of federal elections" is a position of immense privilege.

People have argued that Biden is only better than Trump on the short term, worse in the long (because you essentially get 12 years of Republican presidency instead of 4). In other words they agree that lesser of two evils is a thing, they just draw a different conclusion as to what that is.

People aren't refusing to vote Biden because they think he's the same as Trump, but because they either hope not doing so will eventually have better effects (see above), or think they are hosed anyway.

People who think they're hosed if Biden wins are not in a place of immense privilege. gently caress off.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

CubanMissile posted:

So the campaign with an edge in the youth vote turned out to be a lost cause?

It's more like the campaign had the youth vote on the strength of policies, but then lost it because of being unable to use that momentum to fulfill those policies. It was a pyrrhic victory, in other words.

However, it does show that grabbing the youth vote is not entirely useless, you just shouldn't base your thing on only that because it's a fickle monster.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

Pook Good Mook posted:

100% this. Biden is going to be on a stage with at most 3 other people and won't be able to hide behind Butt being a big weenie and sucking up the focus of the stage.

Might just be him and Bernie and Gabbard at this rate.....

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

That poo poo was republicans. Democrats do in fact want to increase access to voting for the most part as it helps them.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Warren dropping out before Super Tuesday would have been a bizarre move considering her massive investment in those states, but sure, she's clearly on Team Biden.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The only question I want answered at a debate is whether the candidate can draw a loving clock at this point.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Ciprian Maricon posted:

The strategy of expanding the electorate and motivating people has very clearly failed and we need to come up with something else because the MSM is never going to go our way.

Figure out how to take over or make irrelevant the MSM?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

evilweasel posted:

I realize that’s an article of faith among sanders supporters but it is contradicted by all objective evidence. Polling, the primary results, and the 2018 election.

The polling showed Sanders ahead in 1 on 1 and the only one to beat Trump in PA.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Draynar posted:

That poo poo was republicans. Democrats do in fact want to increase access to voting for the most part as it helps them.

lol

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Xombie posted:

"Assess the path forward" is basically the gold standard euphemism for dropping out. She's done.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Draynar posted:

Can always hope for the dream of warren dropping and Bloomberg insisting to stay in. That'd be pretty amazing. (OR if they both drop Warren endorsing Bernie) but realistically probably be reverse of that cause gently caress everything.

Kind of odd next debate is so far away which sucks as Bernie vs Biden alone might actually possibly help going forward.

if i were on sanders' team i would aggressively challenge biden to further engagements and call him a coward if he refuses. keep throwing down fairly specific gauntlets that seem like they need answering. god knows biden has enough baggage to drag out into the sunlight

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

evilweasel posted:

As long as you cherry pick your evidence, absolutely. Ignoring things that look bad makes me feel much better, too!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Dietrich posted:

Not install a supreme court justice that would rule medicare for all unconstitutional when the boomers die and we finally get to turn the ship around.

My understanding is that that also depends on the Senate. I'm also curious why you think Biden would not nominate a centrist that would end up doing the opposite of that?

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

Tibalt posted:

Warren dropping out before Super Tuesday would have been a bizarre move considering her massive investment in those states, but sure, she's clearly on Team Biden.

If she drops out today and endorses Sanders then yeah this is correct or whatever. But anything less and I don't see how this is a defensible position.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Where can I find the list of reasons Bernie getting publicly owned shouldn’t matter oh wait are they the same excuses from 2016?

Wait, they’re not because Bernie had tons of advantages and still blew it this time? Okay better cook up some new excuses then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

evilweasel posted:

You’re advocating losing the 2020 election, which will all but ensure climate change can not be stopped.

Biden will do little or nothing to address climate change, he basically said as much already.

Best case if he wins is he'll mostly be a increasingly dementia riddled puppet for those close to him and his cabinet members while he pushes a few repackaged 80's-90's Republican policies like cuts Social Security and/or Welfare and tries to channel Obama's ability to appear progressive. The Senate will still be in control of Repubs who'll double down on court packing and poo poo will continue generally to get worse with no possibility of agitation for anything resembling Left policies after the mid-terms in 2022 either.

Does that technically make him better than Trump?

Sure.

Does that make him actually good or even OK for anything other than himself or his cronies?

Nope.

Sanders was the only hope for actual major Left policies like GND happening in less than a decade or anything serious to address climate change in that time frame either.