Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Octolady posted:

I’ve a question about managing an indoor kitty’s stress with visiting outdoor cats. My kitty is indoor and very territorial, she really doesn’t like other cats. There’s lots of cats in our area and about 7 of them regularly visit our garden. In particular one has no fear of her whatsoever and will come close to her at windows etc. and freak her out.
Since this cat started visiting us our kitty has been on hyper alert and has started peeing in weird places. We’ve tried Feliway diffusers and supplements from the vet to relax her but any time that cat shows up the whole thing just starts all over again. We can’t always be there to block her from seeing him either. I have tried feeding her treats and such when I notice but I don’t want to accidentally reinforce any bad behaviour.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

Are the weird places near outside walls where the cat(s) show up? You can try some kind of repellant outside, but if it's a newer development kitty might just have to get used to it before she feels secure in her territory.

Katya FREAKS the gently caress out and sounds the alarm when other cats visit the backyard or come too close to the window but it seems to be mostly show, when they leave she forgets pretty much immediately. There's a new neighbourhood cat who I've affectionally named Hitler Cat (it's his hair-do) and he's definitely not shy.
I caught this video of him last week jumping onto the outside windowsill and scaring the poo poo out of Katya and me, she went all in too.Turn on the audio for her alarm siren and righteous fury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Oh my gosh, that’s exactly like my Nyx but she doesn’t scream it’s just the run to window, punch window, silent death stare move. Trying to dissuade them might be the only way to keep them out though, good idea. She’s taken to sitting in the living room facing the downstairs windows (we have big floor length ones) and constantly watching, even when the blinds are drawn. It really sucks to see her so guarded all the time :(

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I think some cats are obsessive like that, my friend's cat apparently saw a mouse one time months ago, and will still sit in front of that specific kitchen cabinet for hours. I don't know if it's actually causing anxiety or if they just lack other forms of entertainment/stimulation. Cats, man.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Milly will run to the back window and get angry if a big leaf blows across the patio.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

InvisibleMonkey posted:

I think some cats are obsessive like that, my friend's cat apparently saw a mouse one time months ago, and will still sit in front of that specific kitchen cabinet for hours. I don't know if it's actually causing anxiety or if they just lack other forms of entertainment/stimulation. Cats, man.

Cats are definitely patient when it comes to mice or other small animals. I think it’s just ingrained in their nature and why we’ve kept them around so long. My parent’s cat will wait all day outside near the holes in the ground to pounce on voles. We had a few mice in our basement last year and our cats would just sit in the basement and look up at the rafters for hours waiting for one to scurry by and then try to jump up to catch them. I put out traps after a while but they still ended up being pretty good mousers and caught 2 or 3 on their own.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

After my cats biopsy she was given a cone to wear. The vet explained that she needed it to keep food and kitty litter away from the wound. Because she would have those things on her paws and then use the paws to clean the wound.

Okay I figured. Except she used the cone to scoop up cat food and then spin the cone around with her paw and catch the dry food pellets in her mouth as they spun towards her. So the whole inside of the cone was filled with cat food dust.

The last day before the cone came off she also stated using it to scoop up kitty litter and then dump it in her water bowl.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Cat thread, I need some advice on osteoarthritis pain management drugs.

Our cat has arthritis in her hips and knees, and it's clearly become painful as she's walking stiffly. This cat has never done particularly well with opiates, but as our first line of pain management the vet prescribed her 1/16th of a 50mg tramadol daily, hoping that would be a low enough dose for her (she's 4.9kg/11lbs or so).

It doesn't seem to be helpful and is doing about what it did to her last time, just less severely. For the first 8 hours she stared into space, or slunk along the floor as she followed us from room to room. (She did appear to be walking less stiffly.) She didn't sleep at all. Now she's able to get to sleep, but when she does she loses control of her bladder and leaks a little, which wakes her up. (Found out we're out of enzymatic cleaner, too. Hooray.)

The vet said we could try compounding the tramadol into an even lower-dosed cream for her ears, or gabapentin. Her kidneys are "good enough" right now that we could possibly do some NSAIDs on her bad days if nothing else works.

Does anybody have any advice on what else we could try? I really don't think tramadol is a good choice for our cat, and I doubt gabapentin is going to do much for her as this isn't nerve pain.

Edit to add: this is the same cat with chronic pancreatitis and is on steroids for it. She hasn't had any flare-ups lately, luckily.

Katt posted:

After my cats biopsy she was given a cone to wear. The vet explained that she needed it to keep food and kitty litter away from the wound. Because she would have those things on her paws and then use the paws to clean the wound.

Okay I figured. Except she used the cone to scoop up cat food and then spin the cone around with her paw and catch the dry food pellets in her mouth as they spun towards her. So the whole inside of the cone was filled with cat food dust.

The last day before the cone came off she also stated using it to scoop up kitty litter and then dump it in her water bowl.

Your cat is living in 3020 and we're all here in 2020.

effika fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 2, 2020

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Gabapentin can still help with pain control even if it's not nerve pain. In human healthcare we give it to certain post-op patients for gut surgeries all the time as part of our protocol to reduce opiate use.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Marchegiana posted:

Gabapentin can still help with pain control even if it's not nerve pain. In human healthcare we give it to certain post-op patients for gut surgeries all the time as part of our protocol to reduce opiate use.

Well I should have done some googling! Thanks for letting me know. We will try that next.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

effika posted:

Cat thread, I need some advice on osteoarthritis pain management drugs.

Our cat has arthritis in her hips and knees, and it's clearly become painful as she's walking stiffly. This cat has never done particularly well with opiates, but as our first line of pain management the vet prescribed her 1/16th of a 50mg tramadol daily, hoping that would be a low enough dose for her (she's 4.9kg/11lbs or so).

It doesn't seem to be helpful and is doing about what it did to her last time, just less severely. For the first 8 hours she stared into space, or slunk along the floor as she followed us from room to room. (She did appear to be walking less stiffly.) She didn't sleep at all. Now she's able to get to sleep, but when she does she loses control of her bladder and leaks a little, which wakes her up. (Found out we're out of enzymatic cleaner, too. Hooray.)

The vet said we could try compounding the tramadol into an even lower-dosed cream for her ears, or gabapentin. Her kidneys are "good enough" right now that we could possibly do some NSAIDs on her bad days if nothing else works.

Does anybody have any advice on what else we could try? I really don't think tramadol is a good choice for our cat, and I doubt gabapentin is going to do much for her as this isn't nerve pain.

Edit to add: this is the same cat with chronic pancreatitis and is on steroids for it. She hasn't had any flare-ups lately, luckily.

Your cat is living in 3020 and we're all here in 2020.
The reaction you're describing - staring into space and not sleeping - is what made our vet stop using buprenorphine with two of our cats. I forget what she called the reaction but she said it absolutely wasn't the desired response for a painkiller.

This might sound crazy, but have you looked into options like Canna Companion? I have no idea if it'd be a good fit for your cat's situation, but if it's available where you live, it might be worth talking to your vet about it. Obviously, please don't go buying random non-pet-specific supplements. If you want to try something like Canna Companion, do it with your vet and stick to the companies that are vet-run.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

LoreOfSerpents posted:

The reaction you're describing - staring into space and not sleeping - is what made our vet stop using buprenorphine with two of our cats. I forget what she called the reaction but she said it absolutely wasn't the desired response for a painkiller.

This might sound crazy, but have you looked into options like Canna Companion? I have no idea if it'd be a good fit for your cat's situation, but if it's available where you live, it might be worth talking to your vet about it. Obviously, please don't go buying random non-pet-specific supplements. If you want to try something like Canna Companion, do it with your vet and stick to the companies that are vet-run.

My vet calls it a manic reaction. The vet was hoping it was just a dosing issue as the cat was 100% fine on a fentanyl patch after dental surgery many years ago. Maybe with her newer health issues opioids just aren't working well for her anymore.

I'll definitely mention CBD to the vet-- I know my (human) friends with rheumatoid all swear by CBD, and maybe it helps with OA, too? The medical marijuana industry and CBD just really got started in my state so it's a hot topic. Gotta figure out how to phrase it so I maybe don't hear the vet roll her eyes at me over the phone. There are a few pet-centric producers here, but if the vet thinks it is worth trying I'll be certain to get her recommendations on brands. (It's still a wild west situation here.)

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
My cats get a bit spacey on buprenorphine as well and tend to be awake for 24 hours or so after they get the dose at the vet. Their eyes stay dilated and they either tend to pace around or hide in a dark spot for about a day or so. Appetite is a bit decreased as well but not completely gone. They don’t seem to sleep at all til it wears off. Once their eyes start to go back to normal they start to calm down and then they usually sleep the rest of the next day and go back to normal. It’s hard to tell if it’s better than them being in pain but I wouldn’t want to do it for more than a day or two.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://mobile.twitter.com/michaelscat2/status/1231310530314412034

The Cat FAQ/Megathread: She may look sweet an innocent but we promise you she's not

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Aleta just drank a little mineral water out of my cup, because she's a dickhead. Should I be worried?? She didn't drink much, mostly used it as a weapon to splash Luna, but I worry about the high mineral content...

Bonus: the thief herself

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I wouldn’t worry about it, there shouldn’t be anything in mineral water that’s toxic to cats, and if there was she’s have to sneak probably a few cups worth to start getting sick.

Probably just tastes like extra tasty water.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Okay, good. Paranoid question, I know, but my brain was like AAAAHHHH KIDNEY STONES!!!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My cat has become way more vocal since moving, and not in a good way. If he's not getting attention, he's often meowing to the point of yowling. I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow but I suspect its boredom / loneliness and hopefully not anything health related. I cant have him constantly crying at night keeping us up. I don't know if I need him on anti anxiety meds or what.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

seiferguy posted:

My cat has become way more vocal since moving, and not in a good way. If he's not getting attention, he's often meowing to the point of yowling. I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow but I suspect its boredom / loneliness and hopefully not anything health related. I cant have him constantly crying at night keeping us up. I don't know if I need him on anti anxiety meds or what.

You have taught him that meowing is a good way to get attention.

Un-teaching him this isn't going to be fun or easy.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

seiferguy posted:

Aleta tried this; if she was too loud, we'd isolate her in "her" bathroom. It took a couple months, but she's over it now.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Cythereal posted:

You have taught him that meowing is a good way to get attention.

Un-teaching him this isn't going to be fun or easy.

At night I don't bother him when he's meowing unless it's time for me to wake up. Its usually after hes up that I let him out of the room.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

seiferguy posted:

At night I don't bother him when he's meowing unless it's time for me to wake up. Its usually after hes up that I let him out of the room.
I just realized you post in the Seattle thread. My husband is allergic to cats (we have three) and our vet (cat-only, at Cats Exclusive in Shoreline) is also allergic. If it'd help, we can meet up for lunch sometime and chat with you and your gf about living with cat allergies, and/or the ridiculous things we do to discourage/encourage various behaviors with our cats. Drop me a message if that's something you think might be useful.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
On Saturday, I noticed my cat seemed ever so slightly sick, with her appetite and energy levels at ~80% of usual. Eh, nothing to worry about if she's not puking and pooping everywhere, I thought.

Fast forward to Monday morning and waking up to a slightly sore throat and mild nausea resulting in pretty much exactly the symptoms observed in my cat, so I've been WFH all week and feeling silly for having something so mild while everyone else in the city of panicking over the coronavirus. Cats still sightly lethargic, but not getting any worse. Think I'll schedule a check-up with the doctor, though, to make sure there's not any reason my immune system might be degraded...

Anyone else ever notice they seemed to have caught whatever their cat had?

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

A friend told me that she uses this bubbling water fountain thing for her cats as its meant to be more appealing to get your cat to drink.

Do they actually work or was she just sold a dud? I was thinking of picking one up too.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Severing posted:

A friend told me that she uses this bubbling water fountain thing for her cats as its meant to be more appealing to get your cat to drink.

Do they actually work or was she just sold a dud? I was thinking of picking one up too.

It helped my cat drink a lot more. Evolutionarily speaking, cats like the idea of running water because it shows it’s clean.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

seiferguy posted:

It helped my cat drink a lot more. Evolutionarily speaking, cats like the idea of running water because it shows it’s clean.

My cat is always wanting to drink from our glasses of water so I figured he's thirsty and just doesn't like the bowl he has. I usually drop an ice cube in it and that seems to encourage him to drink more but I wanted something that will help when I'm not home too.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Severing posted:

Yep. Unfortunately they're a pain in the rear end to clean and tend to break easily.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I got one of those bubblers passed down from a friend and my cats didn't give a gently caress about it. Maybe they'd have started to show interest eventually but the motor was loud so we just gave it away ourselves.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

The little one liked to watch it sometimes, but they mostly left it alone. I bought a cheap one, though, so maybe the plastic tasted funny.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Mine has a setting to cycle on every three minutes, then shut off for five. Both cats will run over and attempt to divine the future/investiage where the HECK did the bubbler in the middle go!! as it turns on and off. As a byproduct, they end up drinking some water.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I have one that I had to diy a filter replacement for because finding the right ones are a pain in the rear end. Luckily they usually just use those charcoal aquarium ones.

Katya drinks from it about 50% of the time, we never did take away her water-bowl because of that but more options is more better, I guess.
It’s quiet enough and holds a lot of water (1.5 liters) so I consider it a win.

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Hi cat thread, I adopted a 14 month female this morning, set up a little base in the bathroom/bedroom with food/water litter box, couple toys and a scratching post for her to acclimate but I have a question about this. So far she hasn't really ventured out of this igloo cushion house thing the foster person gave me, looked around the bedroom a bit when I had to use the toilet but has spent the last 12 hours in her little igloo. I know this is normal (read it can take two weeks) but she hasn't touched any of the food or used either of the litter boxes as yet. My assumption is she will do this at night when i am asleep but yeah, should be concerned she hasn't eaten? Foster carer said he didn't feed her before dropping her off, he also suggested not having food down until the morning when i have breakfast. This doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Also, should I leave the bathroom light on for her? It is night here at the moment and pretty dark in there. I've closed the door separating the lounge (where i currently am) and the bedroom/bathroom so no light is getting in.
Oh and :
- Age 14 months
- Sex Female
- How long have you had your cat? About 12 hours
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yes
- What food do you use? Friskies Indoor Delights (dry food) Gourmet Delight (wet food)
- When was your last vet visit? I am not sure, will ask the foster guy
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors only
- How many pets in your household? no other pets
- How many litter boxes do you have? 2

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Drint Blasters posted:

Hi cat thread, I adopted a 14 month female this morning, set up a little base in the bathroom/bedroom with food/water litter box, couple toys and a scratching post for her to acclimate but I have a question about this. So far she hasn't really ventured out of this igloo cushion house thing the foster person gave me, looked around the bedroom a bit when I had to use the toilet but has spent the last 12 hours in her little igloo. I know this is normal (read it can take two weeks) but she hasn't touched any of the food or used either of the litter boxes as yet. My assumption is she will do this at night when i am asleep but yeah, should be concerned she hasn't eaten? Foster carer said he didn't feed her before dropping her off, he also suggested not having food down until the morning when i have breakfast. This doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Also, should I leave the bathroom light on for her? It is night here at the moment and pretty dark in there. I've closed the door separating the lounge (where i currently am) and the bedroom/bathroom so no light is getting in.
Oh and :
- Age 14 months
- Sex Female
- How long have you had your cat? About 12 hours
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yes
- What food do you use? Friskies Indoor Delights (dry food) Gourmet Delight (wet food)
- When was your last vet visit? I am not sure, will ask the foster guy
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors only
- How many pets in your household? no other pets
- How many litter boxes do you have? 2

That's totally normal! Sounds like you've got a good setup.

I think what he meant about the food at breakfast is that you should feed her around the same time so she gets used to the schedule? I don't see anything wrong with putting out some wet food tonight.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Drint Blasters posted:

Hi cat thread, I adopted a 14 month female this morning, set up a little base in the bathroom/bedroom with food/water litter box, couple toys and a scratching post for her to acclimate but I have a question about this. So far she hasn't really ventured out of this igloo cushion house thing the foster person gave me, looked around the bedroom a bit when I had to use the toilet but has spent the last 12 hours in her little igloo. I know this is normal (read it can take two weeks) but she hasn't touched any of the food or used either of the litter boxes as yet. My assumption is she will do this at night when i am asleep but yeah, should be concerned she hasn't eaten?
I adopted a kitty last month and was worried when she didn’t eat/drink/or go to the bathroom at all for the first 2 whole days/nights and was just hiding. But on day 3 she got noticeably more comfortable and started doing it all.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

It took almost 24h for our adopted cat to piss. Another day or so for a poo poo. Give it time, give them space, and leave some dry food and water in bowls on opposite ends of the room. It'll be ok!

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Severing posted:

I bought this one because our cat kept clawing at his water bowl to make it slosh around and then drink from it. It was annoying and he kept spilling a ton of water. The fountain seemed to solve that problem. So now he gets fancy filtered fountain water :3:

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Well the good news is she used the litter tray, also turns out this kitty likes to sleep in the bed. I went to hop into bed only to find a cat under neath the blankets, left me enough room thankfully so i got in and slept for a bit. Woke up when she did and is now receptive to my touch, big fan of butt scritches. She is now roaming about the apartment making the occasional high pitched meow, kinda sound like dog whines.
Only problem, it's 4am.
Welcome to cat life I guess.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

You got this! Now post the fluffy friend.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Drint Blasters posted:

Only problem, it's 4am.

She's still probably stressed out about the new environment, it will take some time for her to have worked up the courage to explore enough that she feels comfortable. In the meantime, just try as much as possible to not respond to late night noise making. Responding to 4AM meowing with pets, food, really any kind of attention at all will reinforce for the cat that if she wants your attention late at night she can get it. Best thing to do is just lie in bed and pretend not to notice even if it's driving you completely mad. Once she's comfortable with the environment and realizes she can't get you to wake up and pay attention to her via late night meowing, it should mostly stop.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
We use a Catit fountain with 6 streams and a 3-liter capacity. They all love it and it's very quiet when full. Easy to clean and filters are reasonable too.

All this because our dipshit Todd used to use the water bowls to clean his paws after making GBS threads. He didn't do it with fountains, so we moved to fountains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

So that was a night, thankfully the meowing and exploring lasts about 15 minutes then she gets back into bed, kicks off again an hour later. She jumped up on the bathroom window sill and got caught up the blinds, rescued her and raised the blinds a bit but she can't see anything, glass is fogged. Must've smelt something. Still hasn't eaten anything but I am going to try feeding her on top of the dryer, foster guy fed her on a bench in their laundry so she might be used to eating off the floor.

I'm knackered and she's curled up under the blankets sleeping, little bugger.