Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Jose posted:

Lol the hospital my sister works in just threw out all their face masks because they were made in Wuhan

Even if they weren't sterilized entirely, would the virus survive on them given the journey they'd have made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

Prestwick airport. Man that takes me back. When I travelled to Scotland I always uses to fly into Glasgow Prestwick. Ryanair stopped doing flights there around 2014/2015.

I think they were mostly using it for flying cargo, but I believe there was a air route to Poland that still flew through there. It was a grand little airport.

In other news Priti Patel is facing quite a large number of bullying allegations.

https://jrnl.ie/5032300

I am sure that if it was a criminal case where an accused had faced this many allegations, Patel would have already decided their guilt. And tried to push for the death penalty.

But since this is just workplace bullying, it's not a real thing and all the people making up these allegations are just doing it because they couldn't hack working with her. Or something.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1235188585625726977

Nobody does credulity to the point of stupidity quite like Hodges.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Aramoro posted:

Don't need to look as far as the Nordic Style, you have the Scottish Style right over the border there.

This is pretty awesome, as were the SNP moves against land banking with those 'use it or lose it' provisions. Did that ever come to fruition?

Edit:

Tesla was right posted:

Police laziness aside, confiscation of someone's home and all worldly possessions is not a reasonable punishment for suspicion of burglary.

This I agree with. It was more a grumble than an attempt to justify the proposed law.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 4, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Prince John posted:

This is pretty awesome, as were the SNP moves against land banking with those 'use it or lose it' provisions. Did that ever come to fruition?

The SNP said something cool but didn't follow through in the details you say? The Community Empowerment Act (2015) is the kinda use it or lose it in there but it's very very hard to actually reach the bar that is required to actually get asset transfer done. Currently I can't find any case studies of a community successful applying. There may be one, I just don't know what it is.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
lol the SNP are letting the MP who did holocaust denial back in the party. Antisemitism is only a problem if you plan to do something about inequality I guess.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

First case of COVID-19 in Grampian region was found today. No word on where, but I'd bet money he or she is just down the road from me now at ARI.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Prince John posted:

This I agree with. It was more a grumble than an attempt to justify the proposed law.

It was a pretty racist grumble though. Like to you, it's just a personal anecdote about one thing that happened once, but it's facing the same way as the tidal wave of poo poo prejudices travellers have to put up with; by airing it out, you're supporting that, you know?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also gently caress me every single one of the questions was "have you stopped beating your wife?" level bad.

"Do you agree or disagree that we should only seize people's possessions if they're camping and refuse to move?"

The one where the criminal threshold should be set was especially bad though. "Do you think it should be a criminal offence to demand money to leave an encampment?" I mean yeah, it probably should. You could call it something like 'extortion' and put it in section 21 of the Theft Act 1968.

They're using lack of police enforcement and lack of alternative sites as an excuse to criminalize land access on the basis of things that are already illegal.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gonzo McFee posted:

lol the SNP are letting the MP who did holocaust denial back in the party. Antisemitism is only a problem if you plan to do something about inequality I guess.

Jesus, that is horrific.

I am feeling very down at the moment folks. Anyone got anything nice to say about anything at the moment?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Jesus, that is horrific.

I am feeling very down at the moment folks. Anyone got anything nice to say about anything at the moment?

There's a lad on youtube who wanders around unblocking storm drains in his spare time. He recently managed to get the city to come and fix a culvert that was causing a lake to flood and slowly eating the highway foundation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-zEvy3BaUw

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman posted:

This looks like a lawn ornament, but is actually a very good catte.

I ordered some stuff so that I can have a light switch in a non terrible part of the lounge (originally installed at the far end, guaranteeing coffee table related injuries in the dark) and it arrived today.

I have a back door that isn't a giant piece of poo poo now.

It's going to be sunny tomorrow and Friday apparently.

Anyone else?

e: ^^ good stuff. there's one down my street that needs doing but it's a weird one

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Josef bugman posted:

Jesus, that is horrific.

Spring seems to be slowly creeping in! Next time you've got a free day and it's sunny make a point to get out into some sort of green space, away from everything. It can really help.

Edit: also the blackbird in my garden is back and he is singing his loving heart out and I've missed it a lot :3:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Josef bugman posted:

Jesus, that is horrific.

I am probably going to wave and cheer at a friend's first drag show this evening.

Haven't quite decided yet, but probably. I'm sure she'll be great =)

The show is at my new job, which has a little community theatre space.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Aphex- posted:

Spring seems to be slowly creeping in! Next time you've got a free day and it's sunny make a point to get out into some sort of green space, away from everything. It can really help.

Edit: also the blackbird in my garden is back and he is singing his loving heart out and I've missed it a lot :3:
I saw some young stags locking horns last week. It's definitely becoming spring even if there is still occasional hail.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
for a second I thought you were buying a switch and I was like, wanna play Mario kart with guavanaught. I am very good at spelling.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Josef bugman posted:

When my new pet beetles are scared they stick their bum in the air and it looks like a scary little monster. My wife says I was more visibly delighted by this than I was when our daughter was born.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Sanford posted:

When my new pet beetles are scared they stick their bum in the air and it looks like a scary little monster. My wife says I was more visibly delighted by this than I was when our daughter was born.

Pet beetles?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
lol the BBC has found that there's no evidence of Laura Kuenssberg not researching her sources before tweeting that a Labour activist assaulted Matt Hancock

https://twitter.com/DrRobertZands/status/1235235790445301761

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that's true, she checked that it was a random tweet and went ahead and told everyone about it as if it was fact, this is entirely inkeeping with the BBC's general approach to journalism.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Josef bugman posted:

Jesus, that is horrific.

Hey Josef, long time no see! :wave:

Haven't you just joined a new D&D game? Think of all the fun times you have waiting around the corner. :)

Edit: And spring is awesome. The piggy squirrels are out, stealing all the bird seed again. But they're too cute to stop.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

mehall posted:

Apparently the government sneaked up a consultation on cracking down on travellers back in November.

https://twitter.com/giacbelloli/status/1235122117508624384?s=19

Please take a look at this and answer as best you can to help protect one of the most marginalised and denigrated communities in the UK.
If you're unsure how to answer good for them, check out the second tweet, it has a link to some tips.

Done, and now my piss is boiling.

The way that survey was worded is very obviously deliberately such that for some questions it's possible to interpret "Strongly Agree" and "Strongly Disagree" as both supporting the criminalisation of trespass, just in slightly different ways.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Have an idiot kitten pic, Bugman

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Jesus, that is horrific.

I painted my guest toilet bright red and installed the best toilet paper holder ever made and am stupidly happy.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gonzo McFee posted:

lol the BBC has found that there's no evidence of Laura Kuenssberg not researching her sources before tweeting that a Labour activist assaulted Matt Hancock

https://twitter.com/DrRobertZands/status/1235235790445301761

Ah! Well, nevertheless.

Unrelated but Priti Patel is definitely gonna be our next prime minister huh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would be extremely surprised if tories would vote for priti patel.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

I would be extremely surprised if tories would vote for priti patel.

"One of the good ones"

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

There's a lad on youtube who wanders around unblocking storm drains in his spare time. He recently managed to get the city to come and fix a culvert that was causing a lake to flood and slowly eating the highway foundation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-zEvy3BaUw

Drain Bitch!!!

I bought my daughter one of his T-Shirts as she watches the poo poo out of the "unblock a drain for 5 hours in the rain" videos.
They're amazing, like a glimpse of an alternate timeline where the Internet is Good.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Mebh posted:

I painted my guest toilet bright red and installed the best toilet paper holder ever made and am stupidly happy.

The defecation of Smaug

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

"One of the good ones"

When they say "the good ones" they mean "good enough to be servants". They're not going to vote for a servant to become the master.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Priti Patel is riding a tiger that would eat her without a second's thought the instant it no longer needed her, and she would absolutely deserve it if we ever fell that far as a society.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
ugh our mortgage fixed rate can't be extended until January next year, I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on it early and eating the early repayment charge, in case Brexit plays havoc with interest rates.

What think, thread, is it worth doing, just in case?

I'd probably be looking at taking out a ten year fixed rate, just to stabilise costs for as long as possible, even though it would make the monthly cost a little higher.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Marenghi posted:

Even if they weren't sterilized entirely, would the virus survive on them given the journey they'd have made?

Absolutely not.

Two weeks is well beyond safety margin for SARS-COV-2 on any dry surface.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Mebh posted:

Thats a wall, not a toilet. Disappointed.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

thespaceinvader posted:

ugh our mortgage fixed rate can't be extended until January next year, I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on it early and eating the early repayment charge, in case Brexit plays havoc with interest rates.

I'd probably be looking at taking out a ten year fixed rate, just to stabilise costs for as long as possible, even though it would make the monthly cost a little higher.

If you are any good with spreadsheets, I would set one up with continuing as you are and adding 0.25% interest to the repayment every 6 months until you hit a ceiling of say 6.5% (you can check but that was what I was paying in 2007 before I went abroad to live), then do another one for early repayment and new mortgage for 10 years and see where it takes you after 10 years, which looks best.
And maybe a third column where you continue as you are, but set aside the amount you would pay on the new mortgage (and the early repayment charge) and every year pay whatever you have set aside off the current mortgage.

(Spreadsheets are my secret fetish. I have many spreadsheets).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 4, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Priti Patel is riding a tiger that would eat her without a second's thought the instant it no longer needed her, and she would absolutely deserve it if we ever fell that far as a society.

Speaking of how's the saj doing?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

(NOT FINANCIAL ADVICE)

I can't see the Bank of England raising interest rates any time soon, and the more chaotic the Brexit the less likely it gets. However this doesn't stop the banks themselves hiking up mortgage rates if they consider the risk to be higher thanks to a recession, but again this seems unlikely as long as the central banks are all firing the free money hose at them as hard as they can.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Speaking of how's the saj doing?

Possibly becoming a menace to the government on the backbenches according to the Torygraph.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Possibly becoming a menace to the government on the backbenches according to the Torygraph.

I'm not sure he can menace very effectively but good on him for keeping busy I guess.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Isomermaid posted:

The defecation of Smaug

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah I also want to second that that is an S tier joke.