Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That is a very angry post about a point I wasnt making and maybe you should calm down

then perhaps explain what your point was instead of being coy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ulvir posted:

then perhaps explain what your point was instead of being coy

I've learned not to engage in good faith with people already determined to angrily disagree

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've learned not to engage in good faith with people already determined to angrily disagree

i’m wondering in earnest though

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ulvir posted:

i’m wondering in earnest though

K. I am happy to engage with you.

I probably chose the wrong the word when I said "obsess"

What I was trying to get at it is that in 18th century literature consumption was often the way authors evoked the idea of tragic fragility of life. If a character was to die tragically young, the vast majority of time the killer was consumption.

Now, of course a large part of this was that consumption was physically the most lethal killer of people "before their time" during that era. However, what is interesting about reading these books, to me, as a modern reader, is how, now that consumption as a physical reality in the Western World is mostly gone, the ever presence of the disease is almost symbolic. Consumption is less a disease than the the ideological representation of early death itself. It is a metaphorical shorthand for the cruelty and uncertainty of life.

In modern fiction, cancer takes that role. If a character in a Victorian novel had to die tragically, they would die tragically of consumption. Now, its cancer. Again, a lot of that is because in reality cancer is one of the most lethal diseases and everyone knows someone who has died or suffered from it.

However, I wonder, if cancer is ever cured, if cancer will take that same sort of strange role in a future reader that consumption does to a contemporary reader as being less a disease and more of a narrative tool

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Did HIV/AIDs take the place of cancer in the 80's/90's? Can't say I've read too much Lit from that era. Or have there been other trends like this?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Did HIV/AIDs take the place of cancer in the 80's/90's? Can't say I've read too much Lit from that era. Or have there been other trends like this?

I mean, Rent literally turned consumption into AIDS but I cannot recall it ever being a near universal metaphor for death in fiction the way cancer is

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Mel Mudkiper posted:

However, I wonder, if cancer is ever cured, if cancer will take that same sort of strange role in a future reader that consumption does to a contemporary reader as being less a disease and more of a narrative tool

It will be replaced by people accidentally shooting themselves /each other I'd imagine.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
can tuberculosis be a dragon

hallelujah posted:

idk who needs to hear this, but i'm doing a livewatch of ralph bakshi's wizards (1977) in byob

yes it's a movie, but it's a weird movie so it kind of counts as literature. maybe enough people in here are interested in either fantasy or european history to come share the love

i...thought this was a children's movie

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

can tuberculosis be a dragon

Careful we dont sham to go on another passive aggressive pedant shitfit

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

K. I am happy to engage with you.

I probably chose the wrong the word when I said "obsess"

What I was trying to get at it is that in 18th century literature consumption was often the way authors evoked the idea of tragic fragility of life. If a character was to die tragically young, the vast majority of time the killer was consumption.

Now, of course a large part of this was that consumption was physically the most lethal killer of people "before their time" during that era. However, what is interesting about reading these books, to me, as a modern reader, is how, now that consumption as a physical reality in the Western World is mostly gone, the ever presence of the disease is almost symbolic. Consumption is less a disease than the the ideological representation of early death itself. It is a metaphorical shorthand for the cruelty and uncertainty of life.

In modern fiction, cancer takes that role. If a character in a Victorian novel had to die tragically, they would die tragically of consumption. Now, its cancer. Again, a lot of that is because in reality cancer is one of the most lethal diseases and everyone knows someone who has died or suffered from it.

In light of this good explanation, the actual problem word in your OP was "bizarre" because there's really nothing bizarre about it, as you quite clearly point out.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i...thought this was a children's movie
it is! bakshi made it to prove that he could do stuff for kids. it was successful enough that they let him do lotr, which was objectively the right decision

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

hallelujah posted:

it is! bakshi made it to prove that he could do stuff for kids. it was successful enough that they let him do lotr, which was objectively the right decision

Fritz The Cat isn't for kids?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Franchescanado posted:

It absolutely did. See: Rent, which just rewrote La Boheme replacing consumption with AIDS.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, Rent literally turned consumption into AIDS but I cannot recall it ever being a near universal metaphor for death in fiction the way cancer is

There is a whole subgenre of AIDS lit often set in New York during the crisis. It's just not a genre that lasted long -- once it was really taking off the cure came along.

You see it with diseases of all stripes really. See: The Plague, Love in the Time of Cholera

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 27, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aagh holy poo poo the ending of "Brighton Rock" Jesus gently caress. I'd forgotten about the record and now it damned the Boy to hell lmao. It starts out as a thriller, turns into a detective novel, gets mixed 50-60 into one of Greene's "Catholic novels", is a love story, and then basically in the last few bits gets a horror story punch-line. As interpreted by me, of course, a known idiot.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 27, 2020

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

speaking of dated ways to die, are there any good novels set in the 20th century with serious pistol duels? as in, the duel isn't an archaic absurdity played for laughs. the magic mountain's the only one that comes to mind. pushkin house by andrei bitov features a duel that's deservedly treated as stupid and ridiculous because it's set in 1960s leningrad

i just want to know what the turning point was for duels becoming ridiculous

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Franchescanado posted:

Fair enough! But they posted about Bakshi in the CineD animation thread literally the day before they invited the book forum to watch a movie with them, and did not post it in the animation thread. People like watch-alongs in CineD.
i linked it in the animation thread a while ago too

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Karenina posted:

speaking of dated ways to die, are there any good novels set in the 20th century with serious pistol duels? as in, the duel isn't an archaic absurdity played for laughs. the magic mountain's the only one that comes to mind. pushkin house by andrei bitov features a duel that's deservedly treated as stupid and ridiculous because it's set in 1960s leningrad

i just want to know what the turning point was for duels becoming ridiculous

Radetzky March by Joseph Roth has a pistol duel between two army officers in the years before ww1. The first world war might be the end of the duel, with war and battle turning from an honourable thing with colourful uniforms and duels and so on into the modern industrial hell.

Could 1918 or -14 be said to be the end of the 19th century, in the way that the 90's ended on 9/11?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When did the Nazi sword dueling for bragging scars stop?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Syncopated posted:

Could 1918 or -14 be said to be the end of the 19th century, in the way that the 90's ended on 9/11?

Well, yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_nineteenth_century

Speaking of Radetzky March, I wanted to like that a lot more than I did. The milieu is interesting, but the narrative and prose were uninteresting and subpar for a literary classic of some sort

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Well, yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_nineteenth_century

Speaking of Radetzky March, I wanted to like that a lot more than I did. The milieu is interesting, but the narrative and prose were uninteresting and subpar for a literary classic of some sort

I figured I wasn't the first to have that idea. Agreed on the book.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Syncopated posted:

Radetzky March by Joseph Roth has a pistol duel between two army officers in the years before ww1. The first world war might be the end of the duel, with war and battle turning from an honourable thing with colourful uniforms and duels and so on into the modern industrial hell.

good to know! 1914/1918 sounds fitting. the duel in MM itself isn't a "straight" pistol duel and is more evoking the demise of old europe, anyway, what with neither of them actually shooting at the other. the liberal humanist fires in the air; the radical shoots himself in the head.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I had a friend come over and ask me why I had a book named babyfucker

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jerry Cotton posted:

When did the Nazi sword dueling for bragging scars stop?

it didn't. it's not nazi (and it existed long before the nazis) but it still happens in some fraternities in germany. i met a guy with a scar from one in dresden

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I would 100% sword fight for scars

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

You’re American, you get to slice watermelons with a katana, at best

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I'm more of a water bottle man.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Are all of Nabokov's other books referenced in Pale Fire? I've only read Lolita and Pnin, but both of these have shown up.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Syncopated posted:

Are all of Nabokov's other books referenced in Pale Fire? I've only read Lolita and Pnin, but both of these have shown up.

Iirc he references some of his short stories as well. And as usual, there's his favorite themes of butterflies, mirrors, doubles, etc that are prominent in his other works.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Could we consider a Ligotti thread separate from the horror thread?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's also a cosmic horror thread but the threads are more or less interchangeable and He is everywhere.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I wouldn't be opposed to a separate one, but I'm not sure we really need one, the horror thread is hardly that busy and I think most of the people who follow it aren't bothered by any kind of deep-dive discussion into ligotti. That said, making threads is cheap, if you do make one be sure to link it in the horror thread.

anilEhilated posted:

There's also a cosmic horror thread but the threads are more or less interchangeable and He is everywhere.

Yeah that thread is pretty much dead, I've debated closing it every couple of months, but every time I do, someone happens to post in it. I figured there's no harm in keeping it open in any case.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

StrixNebulosa posted:

we do not need yet another horror thread

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay fair, carry on. I suppose I should read some of his work someday so I can join in the fanclub

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay fair, carry on. I suppose I should read some of his work someday so I can join in the fanclub

If it helps, his prose is great, and while he's grim as hell his stories are often surprisingly funny, too. The one I'm reading now is basically some weirdo babbling at length about alchemy to a prostitute, and includes a scene where he has to awkwardly play dumb about being in the red light district while talking to a cop.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MockingQuantum posted:

The one I'm reading now is basically some weirdo babbling at length about alchemy to a prostitute, and includes a scene where he has to awkwardly play dumb about being in the red light district while talking to a cop.
undiluted autobiography

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

So I take it back, I'm 100% on board for a separate ligotti thread, but only if avs is the only one allowed to post in it, and is in fact required to post in it

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MockingQuantum posted:

So I take it back, I'm 100% on board for a separate ligotti thread, but only if avs is the only one allowed to post in it, and is in fact required to post in it
the ligotti lovedump

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Three other day I saw a guy on the bus reading a new hardback book. I believe it had to do with our perception of reality. It was mostly a black and white cover. Does anyone know what I'm describing?

I found it - The Case Against Reality

me your dad fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

unreal