Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
that mg deathscythe is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

That's cool as poo poo.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

With this (these?) robot(s) my GGG Final collection is complete:

https://imgur.com/a/7AQ1ya1

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

MJP posted:

I'm about to undertake a project to update my workspace. I'll probably ask in the normal scale modeling thread, but other than setting up storage that sits under the desktop, any suggestions for miscellaneous thing storage on the cheap? e.g. CA glues, weathering powders/Weathering Master cases, etc.? Already gonna grab a vertical desktop sorter to have sandpaper at a glance by grit rather than in its own drawer.

I found some plastic makeup organizers / drawer organizers that work well for storing bottles of plastic cement, thinners, panel liner, etc..

You might also consider a pegboard for tools. I had plastic pegboard panels that I used over my workbench for years that I liked, and I'm reconsidering getting them again after watching a video of a Japanese modeler with tools + supplies stored on a pegboard in their original packaging on retail product racks/hooks looked pretty nice.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

This frankly insane dude appears to be Kondo'ing Barbatos.

https://twitter.com/kaijyunopapa/status/1233720450095575041?s=19

He also has some plans for a similarly styled Graze.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Droyer posted:

With this (these?) robot(s) my GGG Final collection is complete:

https://imgur.com/a/7AQ1ya1

Jesus they're tiny.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Spent this weekend in Richmond, VA for Old Dominion Open. Some really amazing stuff there - got to see Child of Mecha's Airdrop in person and a few other high profile builders were there. Here's some photos if anyone is interested:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CoxnZpucLzv8LqTM9

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Finished my 30MM build. I'm calling it the Alto Ace Commander Type:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Double posting for hype poo poo:

King Go-Saurer!

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Zodack posted:

Spent this weekend in Richmond, VA for Old Dominion Open. Some really amazing stuff there - got to see Child of Mecha's Airdrop in person and a few other high profile builders were there. Here's some photos if anyone is interested:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CoxnZpucLzv8LqTM9

:negative: WHAT? I live here and had no idea this was a thing. I spent my Saturday at Galaxycon on the other side of town.

That said, it wasn't a complete waste of time -- though it took me a full three hours to find the first Gundam thing among the awful maze of Funco Pops and novelty swords, and a good few more to snag what I did, I managed to come away with a good haul for less than a hundred (including the awesome "Y'all means all" tote acting as a mat under there).

(The Jegantic cat back there was not part of the haul, though she's certainly excited by all the plastic wrap.)

The Dunbine was serving as the base for a teetering tower of assorted kits at a cool $43 -- did not expect to find one in person, ever, so I couldn't resist. Now I just need to get around to watching it.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

New PG just announced this second.

Perfect Grade Unleashed RX-78-2 Gundam

Supposedly the culmination of the Gunpla evolution project.

Also announced, P-Bandai 1/144 Gundarium Alloy RX-78 (the armor plates are actually made of metal) and automatic transforming Unicorn head.

Anyone know anything more about any of these announcements?

EDIT: i actually have no idea where to go for gunpla news lol

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Slanderer posted:

Anyone know anything more about any of these announcements?

EDIT: i actually have no idea where to go for gunpla news lol

The best places for official info are the official Bandai Hobby site (https://bandai-hobby.net) and their twitter (https://twitter.com/HobbySite).

As for those announcements, nothing yet, only that the Gundarium alloy Gundam is scheduled to open preorders in July. The official Gunpla 40th page is here
https://gunpla40th.bandai-hobby.net/?_ga=2.206101843.135719676.1583210931-582877994.1557302670
but they don't have machine translation setup for those pages.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Thanks! The site is less useful, but at least on twitter they're forced to use more actual text instead of images

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Slanderer posted:

I found some plastic makeup organizers / drawer organizers that work well for storing bottles of plastic cement, thinners, panel liner, etc..

You might also consider a pegboard for tools. I had plastic pegboard panels that I used over my workbench for years that I liked, and I'm reconsidering getting them again after watching a video of a Japanese modeler with tools + supplies stored on a pegboard in their original packaging on retail product racks/hooks looked pretty nice.

I'd kill for a pegboard, but my workspace (which is really the only area I can use in my basement) is around where our old gas meter was. They moved it, and the old inactive pipe is jutting out of the wall. That loving pipe is crazy hard - a Dremel metal cutting wheel wore out by the time it cut maybe 1.2, 2mm and no further, and a brand new carbide oscillating tool blade had absolutely no effect other than discoloring the surface a little. (Yes, I did get positive confirmation from the gas company local office before using spark-making tools on a gas pipe)

So because of this, the only wall I could peg up is usable only for putting up posters.

I ended up finding a 6'x3' dining table to expand the space and boy howdy, it makes a difference so far. So much more room cleared up.

Back to topic, holy poo poo P-Bandai prices are absolutely loving REASONABLE now. I paid like $55 for a TGII that I gifted to someone.

Also curious if anyone's built the PG Banshee - a local dude wants me to commission build it, but it took me around 24+ hours over time to snip and clean up parts for the PG 00 Raiser. I'd just be curious about how long others have spent on it in order to give him an accurate price estimate.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh boy, Supanova Melbourne is this weekend and apparently Bandai's going to have an actual booth there this year.

With Gunpla.

My wallet is screaming :shepspends:.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Definitely getting that MG Deathscythe. Been building the Heavyarms and Shenlong versions recently too. Heavyarms Igel got lots of room for detailing, so started messing around with Gundam marker paint pens:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

MJP posted:

I'd kill for a pegboard, but my workspace (which is really the only area I can use in my basement) is around where our old gas meter was. They moved it, and the old inactive pipe is jutting out of the wall. That loving pipe is crazy hard - a Dremel metal cutting wheel wore out by the time it cut maybe 1.2, 2mm and no further, and a brand new carbide oscillating tool blade had absolutely no effect other than discoloring the surface a little. (Yes, I did get positive confirmation from the gas company local office before using spark-making tools on a gas pipe)

I'm not surprised, I think those dremel cutting wheels only work well with mild steel (and even so, they're so small you burn through a ton of them). If you ever want to get rid of that pipe, they make these cool ratcheting pipe cutters that will snap it in half, and you can probably rent one. Or just get an angle grinder (the larger discs will last much longer than dremel ones), or sit down with a hacksaw and do it the hard way.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Does anyone know if the MG FAZZ Ver Ka was delayed?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Slanderer posted:

Dalong has a review up, so it's safe to say it's out. Shipping might just be a mess right now since, you know. New global pandemic going around.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Slanderer posted:

It's out in Japan and there are plenty of reviews floating round but it seems to be sold out everywhere online.
I get the feeling that the initial demand far outstripped supply. I ordered it from HLJ in January and it went straight to backorder on the release day. Now I get to wait to see if the order is filled before it gets released here in Australia at the end of March (although I expect it will be sold out everywhere here too).

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

MJP posted:

So because of this, the only wall I could peg up is usable only for putting up posters.

I ended up finding a 6'x3' dining table to expand the space and boy howdy, it makes a difference so far. So much more room cleared up.

Back to topic, holy poo poo P-Bandai prices a re absolutely loving REASONABLE now. I paid like $55 for a TGII that I gifted to someone.

Also curious if anyone's built the PG Banshee - a local dude wants me to commission build it, but it took me around 24+ hours over time to snip and clean up parts for the PG 00 Raiser. I'd just be curious about how long others have spent on it in order to give him an accurate price estimate.

Look up the ikea pegboard. Forgot what the name was. They have mounting hardware that connects the pegboard to your desk instead of a wall mount. Probably wont be as sturdy, but its probably better than nothing

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/skadis-connector-white-10320789/

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Dalong has a review up, so it's safe to say it's out. Shipping might just be a mess right now since, you know. New global pandemic going around.

Bill Posters posted:

It's out in Japan and there are plenty of reviews floating round but it seems to be sold out everywhere online.
I get the feeling that the initial demand far outstripped supply. I ordered it from HLJ in January and it went straight to backorder on the release day. Now I get to wait to see if the order is filled before it gets released here in Australia at the end of March (although I expect it will be sold out everywhere here too).

Hmm thanks. My Amazon preorder was delayed today (the original delivery date lol) for a month or two, so I was kinda curious. I've been seeing preorders up for weeks on different sites, but they all still have it listed as "February Release" with no indication that they've shipped any. Good to know it's been shipped in Japan, though

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I saw several FAZZ ver Ka in stores in Japan when I was there a few weeks ago. They’re definitely out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you need filters for painting, digikey seems to have a decent selection of 3M cartridges in stock at the moment.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
My wife found a Petit'gguy kit, really enjoyed building it, and would like to have fun dressing it up. What are some good kits or expansions with fun stuff to fit in those little hand holes?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

General Ironicus posted:

My wife found a Petit'gguy kit, really enjoyed building it, and would like to have fun dressing it up. What are some good kits or expansions with fun stuff to fit in those little hand holes?

The HGBC (High Grade Build Custom) accessory packs are what you want to search for to find neat things to attach to it. There's also several larger HG BearGguy kits as well if she'd like another bear-based kit to try.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

A new model has arrived!
Not Gunpla but Japanese related!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Symetrique posted:

Look up the ikea pegboard. Forgot what the name was. They have mounting hardware that connects the pegboard to your desk instead of a wall mount. Probably wont be as sturdy, but its probably better than nothing

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/skadis-connector-white-10320789/

Worth keeping in mind! Thanks!

Slanderer posted:

I'm not surprised, I think those dremel cutting wheels only work well with mild steel (and even so, they're so small you burn through a ton of them). If you ever want to get rid of that pipe, they make these cool ratcheting pipe cutters that will snap it in half, and you can probably rent one. Or just get an angle grinder (the larger discs will last much longer than dremel ones), or sit down with a hacksaw and do it the hard way.

Would a ratcheting cutter work where a Dremel has failed? Also this is like a 3" OD pipe, one big honking solid boi.

The other part is that someone mentioned I don't know what's gotten into the pipe since it got decommissioned and I worry a UHF firehose glog of dirt and garbage will come through it. I also smelled a tiny bit of gas odor, but the gas company guy said this was normal since the pipe's been basically impregnated with it over the years. It's not enough to ignite.

I do like the idea of a pegboard with caveats. My workbench is a dining table that's 36" wide, so it'd be a standing reach to get at anything. However, things like paint bottles could just get lifted up. I have a few step style racks but I'm sure there's some kind of Skadis or other compatible pegboard small shelf for them.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

MJP posted:

Would a ratcheting cutter work where a Dremel has failed? Also this is like a 3" OD pipe, one big honking solid boi.

The other part is that someone mentioned I don't know what's gotten into the pipe since it got decommissioned and I worry a UHF firehose glog of dirt and garbage will come through it. I also smelled a tiny bit of gas odor, but the gas company guy said this was normal since the pipe's been basically impregnated with it over the years. It's not enough to ignite.

Just use a beam saber ffs. You should have a few lying around. A heat axe will do in a pinch.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
30 MM build! Kinda.

I really did start with more Alto parts, but I'd had a Seraphim Gundam waiting for months for this very purpose, and it kinda turned into a scale creep thing. The actual mashing-together of parts wasn't that bad - I had to sand down a lot of the fittings on the Seraphim pegs to get it to work, since it's designed for squishy polycaps instead of the snug plastic fittings on the Alto.

I wish I'd done more weathering on the paint job. I'm ultimately glad the boob-nodule fell off and rolled under the cabinet, though.

Now I gotta figure out what to do with these arms and legs...

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

d3lness posted:

Just use a beam saber ffs. You should have a few lying around. A heat axe will do in a pinch.

This hand of mine is burning red!
Its loud roar tells me to cut you flush with the wall!
Here I go!
PIPIIIIIIIIIING FINGEEEEEEEER

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sekiha Love Love Tenkyoken but instead of the Burger King it's a stereotypical plumber with a tank top, a big gut and two foot of buttcrack

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Phy posted:

Sekiha Love Love Tenkyoken but instead of the Burger King it's a stereotypical plumber with a tank top, a big gut and two foot of buttcrack

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Phy posted:

:perfect:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

MJP posted:

I've never used one, but I know that they're basically made for doing this, especially in tight spaces. Here's a good demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zei2c_moHIQ

There are even bigger ones for cutting 6-8" sewer pipes too

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I’m actually planning to paint them up so they’re not stickered yet but the black tri-star haros rule.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

grassy gnoll posted:

30 MM build! Kinda.

I really did start with more Alto parts, but I'd had a Seraphim Gundam waiting for months for this very purpose, and it kinda turned into a scale creep thing. The actual mashing-together of parts wasn't that bad - I had to sand down a lot of the fittings on the Seraphim pegs to get it to work, since it's designed for squishy polycaps instead of the snug plastic fittings on the Alto.

I wish I'd done more weathering on the paint job. I'm ultimately glad the boob-nodule fell off and rolled under the cabinet, though.

Now I gotta figure out what to do with these arms and legs...

Great work!

Makes what I was planning look pretty lame.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
So what are these 30MM kits? Relatively quick/affordable kits that you can easily mix and match parts between?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

So what are these 30MM kits? Relatively quick/affordable kits that you can easily mix and match parts between?

Pretty much, yeah.

They also sell accessory packs. Armor, weapons, replacement limbs, display stands, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I’m actually planning to paint them up so they’re not stickered yet but the black tri-star haros rule.

Heads up; you can get waterslide decals for these here: https://hobbyfrontline.com/product/flaming-snow-water-decals-for-haropla-black-tri-haro/

They're currently sold out though.