Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah they are by far the most appealing to me aesthetically. I do like the Marcher Worlds, too, but they don't excite me. The Ironstar guys are pretty meh. Their Warjack is OK I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

koreban posted:

That sure is a thing that you also said.

That’s also the only faction whose aesthetic is currently appealing to me as well. I’m a bit more skeptical about paying into the game yet, but I’ll definitely watch the Kickstarter when it goes up. If it’s priced well, I’m not completely dug in against giving PP money, it’ll just take a good convincing hook to get me back on their merry-go-round.

Also seriously man, why’d they kill my homey Vlad? Take Strakov. He’s been a frustrating pile of useless for a long time. Vlad was a sweet, sweet bad luck prince who just wanted to settle down with his girl.

I am legitimately upset about this. If there's anyone who actually deserved a loving break, it's that guy. No happy endings I guess...

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

I am legitimately upset about this. If there's anyone who actually deserved a loving break, it's that guy. No happy endings I guess...

And here we thought the grimdark misery universe was 40K/WFB.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

S.J. posted:

How did Vlad die? I thought he was a Chosen One with a destiny foretold by Baba Yaga?

EnjoiThePureTrip fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 29, 2020

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

gently caress that Vlad noise. Him and his shoulder pads can go to hell. What's really important is how happy the most recent scroll made me.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The Scroll this week has been particularly intense. I hope it's being compiled somewhere for easier reading.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

How did Vlad die? I thought he was a Chosen One with a destiny foretold by Baba Yaga?

He was holding his own against Zaataroth after leading a massive cavalry charge against the infernal army. Zaataroth used her powers to probe into Vlad’s mind and found that the Old Witch had stolen his and Sorcha’s child then erased the memory from both of them.

Vlad became distracted by this revelation and betrayal and BAM! PS 10 to the throat! She aged him in an instant and he died.

It was later revealed in odd scraps of lore that PP likes to float around that the Old Witch kept the kid with her, sometimes as a crow, and when she arrived on the battlefield, snuck him aboard one of the refugee ships that are going through the portal.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

rydiafan posted:

gently caress that Vlad noise. Him and his shoulder pads can go to hell. What's really important is how happy the most recent scroll made me.

You’re a monster.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
At least Macbain is alive!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Iceclaw posted:

I did laugh at that last part.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iceclaw posted:

Of course he is. The cigar bar is the safest place to hang out.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I made the mistake of peeking at Dakka's thread on Warcaster

It's still full of people who claim all the Warmachine factions look the same and you can't tell them apart.

I wonder what it's like to have non-functional eyes

S.J.
May 19, 2008

FrostyPox posted:

I made the mistake of peeking at Dakka's thread on Warcaster

It's still full of people who claim all the Warmachine factions look the same and you can't tell them apart.

I wonder what it's like to have non-functional eyes

It's really weird seeing people desperately trying to get people to not like the Product Line that competes with their Product Line.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

S.J. posted:

It's really weird seeing people desperately trying to get people to not like the Product Line that competes with their Product Line.

It's also funny because theyll backpedal if you point out cryx. Or ret. Or convergence. Basically they'll claim Cygnar Khador and Menoth look the same, which, again, makes me question whether their eyes work.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

FrostyPox posted:

It's also funny because theyll backpedal if you point out cryx. Or ret. Or convergence. Basically they'll claim Cygnar Khador and Menoth look the same, which, again, makes me question whether their eyes work.

Like... every Imperial Faction, people. Jesus. Ugh.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Like sure, I wouldn't expect someone unfamiliar with Warmachine to able to tell a Menoth jack from a Cygnar jack. I also wouldn't expect someone unfamiliar with 40K to be able to distinguish that a Vindicator is a Space Marine tank while a Leman Russ is an IG tank

Basically nerd tribalism is the loving worst and it's very prevalent among GW players but that's largely just because GW is so huge

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 1, 2020

S.J.
May 19, 2008

FrostyPox posted:

Like sure, I wouldn't expect someone unfamiliar with Warmachine to able to tell a Menoth jack from a Cygnar jack. I also wouldn't expect someone unfamiliar with 40K to be able to distinguish that a Vindicator is a Space Marine tank while a Leman Russ is an IG tank

No, those are Space Wolves, not Death Watch.

I've seen people confuse plenty of the chaos/imperial stuff, too. Oh well! Some people just can't see past the warhammer aesthetic I guess.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I guess some of the Mercenary Warjacks have a similar silhouette to the Cygnar stuff but there's fluff reasons for that, much like the reasons a Chaos Rhino looks a lot like a Space Marine Rhino

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
There's a shared design philosophy as between Cygnar/Menoth/Khador/Merc jacks. Presumably that gave early Warmachine an easily recognizable style.

Claiming today that all the factions look the same is silly.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Maneck posted:

There's a shared design philosophy as between Cygnar/Menoth/Khador/Merc jacks. Presumably that gave early Warmachine an easily recognizable style.

Yeah, and it's even there in the initial Cryx slayer chassis jacks too. That leaned forward, lineman style aggressive pose is very intentional, and it works both for the game's aesthetic and was written pretty squarely into the various nations shared history.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Maneck posted:

I'm just here for the occasional Mon Poc chat but even as a once upon a time serious player of warhams who only has glanced at war machine boxes I can say that the factions are varied and cool looking. GW grognards gonna grognard yo

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Mercs are the group without a distinct look, which is because they are mercs.

What happened with Llael? I see there is finally an Ashlynn2 as the Queens Blade - whose the queen and isn't everything just screwed with the Infernals stuff now?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
The critiques about warmachine I've seen from 40k fans are bizarre. Oddest ones focus on the card aspect and how models share a core kit, like Destroyer / Decimator / Juggernaut / Marauder. The first one is a fundamental misunderstanding of the game, I dont know what the issue with the second one is.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

PleasantDirge posted:

GW grognards gonna grognard yo

Dakka's a weird place. Lots of people there who live for drama. It's not representative of GW players at large.

Serenade posted:

The critiques about warmachine I've seen from 40k fans are bizarre. Oddest ones focus on the card aspect and how models share a core kit, like Destroyer / Decimator / Juggernaut / Marauder. The first one is a fundamental misunderstanding of the game, I dont know what the issue with the second one is.

40k was/is moving to a datacard system in the same vein as AoS. From the way 8th edition is packaged, it looks like they were ready to go all in with power level set at the datacard level, then aborted and put points back in on a page at the back of the book. It's hard to properly balance a datacard based system given all the variation historical units have (space marine tac sqaud with a chainsword, heavy bolter and flamer, versus one with a lascannon, plasma gun, powerfist, etc.) but their modern releases tend to have restricted options which will lend itself to datacards in the future.

And GW still sells lots of multipurpose kits.

In short, those are bizarre critiques.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I haven't bought anything since around the mk2 launch but a friend and I are getting bad into this game. Where's the best place to buy stuff from now?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

koreban posted:

Strange way of saying Space Brotherhood of Nod.

It's pretty amazing and baffling no-one has done this before. Plenty of people would have killed for a CnC minis game back then.

Actually, could someone give quick elevator pitches for the other factions revealed so far? Maybe I'm dumb but I haven't found any listing of them yet.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

I haven't bought anything since around the mk2 launch but a friend and I are getting bad into this game. Where's the best place to buy stuff from now?

Discount Games Inc is a shop/internet storefront run by Jay Larson who is basically the community champion for the game. He supports a podcast and a list building app that doubles as a tournament list submission site and data dump for all the statistical analysis of factions/casters/power meta.

He offers discounts through his webstore.

Privateer press went to a direct distribution system instead of selling through the big three distribution houses in NA. Lots of shops have cut back on what they carry due to the size of the range and the distribution being such that they can’t combine a small bit of PP stuff with their usual larger MTG and comic book orders to save on shipping.

Basically meaning, that’s where you go now if you don’t have a LGS option.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
40k grogs have some asinine complaints to mhw. None confuse me more than the complaining of cid. Its player based feed back PP actively takes with tangible results.

Vs waiting on faqs that sometimes retract thing 2 days after a codex release or 6 months+ of pain before changing.

So if I gather they want long stretches of poo poo power creep or what? Combine that with the absolute mind gently caress of insisting that cid rule changes are so frequent on a mystery site that just couldn't possibly keep up with this! Ignoring that they are optional test rules that are never official till a announcement from PP then updated in the app.

40k grogs are gonna 40k grog an there is no pleasing them.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Maneck posted:

Dakka's a weird place. Lots of people there who live for drama. It's not representative of GW players at large.

Oh I have met plenty of nice ppl who play GW games I just don't love it like I do MTG, enough to deal with the bowels of the community from time to time. rear end crack man was a hero and did nothing wrong

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

koreban posted:

Discount Games Inc is a shop/internet storefront run by Jay Larson who is basically the community champion for the game. He supports a podcast and a list building app that doubles as a tournament list submission site and data dump for all the statistical analysis of factions/casters/power meta.

He offers discounts through his webstore.

Privateer press went to a direct distribution system instead of selling through the big three distribution houses in NA. Lots of shops have cut back on what they carry due to the size of the range and the distribution being such that they can’t combine a small bit of PP stuff with their usual larger MTG and comic book orders to save on shipping.

Basically meaning, that’s where you go now if you don’t have a LGS option.

Yeah the local minigame scene is still just warhams and xwing around here. Honestly I'm tempted to just buy bases and call it a day because it's just us playing on his kitchen table. But there's also a lot of really cool stuff that didn't exist a decade ago

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

It's pretty amazing and baffling no-one has done this before. Plenty of people would have killed for a CnC minis game back then.

Actually, could someone give quick elevator pitches for the other factions revealed so far? Maybe I'm dumb but I haven't found any listing of them yet.

The Iron Star Alliance:

THE power in Cyriss. They are fascist capitalists who seek to expand their territory and bring wayward planets into the fold. Due to their success at gathering arkenessence and the other resources from the planets they control, they have the best tech and highly trained and professional troops.

If you want to be the lean, mean corporate loving machine, IST is the faction for you.

Marcher Worlds:

The rabble rousers of the outer rim. A loose collection of planets that have resisted the IST’s expansion. Pushed to the limits of known space, it’ll be a cold day in hell before any of them bend the knee.

Their armies consist of freedom fighters, local milias and mercenaries. Their weapons and armor aren’t the fanciest but they are rugged and durable to reflect their harsh living conditions. Where the IST use bleeding edge technology to give them an advantage, the Marchers use tried and true techniques to see the day the won.

Where you a fan of the Brown Coats from Firefly? Then this is the faction for you.

Excelsiortothemax fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 3, 2020

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hopefully the Marchers have less of the Lost Cause aura/nostalgia about them.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Excelsiortothemax posted:

The Iron Star Alliance:

THE power in Cyriss. They are fascist capitalists who seek to expand their territory and bring wayward planets into the fold. Due to their success at gathering arkenessence and the other resources from the planets they control, they have the best tech and highly trained and professional troops.

If you want to be the lean, mean corporate loving machine, IST is the faction for you.

Marcher Worlds:

The rabble rousers of the outer rim. A loose collection of planets that have resisted the IST’s expansion. Pushed to the limits of known space, it’ll be a cold day in hell before any of them bend the knee.

Their armies consist of freedom fighters, local milias and mercenaries. Their weapons and armor aren’t the fanciest but they are rugged and durable to reflect their harsh living conditions. Where the IST use bleeding edge technology to give them an advantage, the Marchers use tried and true techniques to see the day the won.

Where you a fan of the Brown Coasts from Firefly? Then this is the faction for you.

Thanks a lot!

Ashcans posted:

Referring to anything specific?

Edit: oh, right Firefly, duh

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 2, 2020

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ashcans posted:

You'll love our first named Warjack, the Merrimack!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I'm going to play my first game of Warmachine in like 8 months tomorrow. My list sucks and I'm rusty as hell. I hope I have fun!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

rydiafan posted:

I'm going to play my first game of Warmachine in like 8 months tomorrow. My list sucks and I'm rusty as hell. I hope I have fun!

Hell yeah! What're you playing?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Kickstarter is live now, but I feel like the pledges are underwhelming. Going to wait until this hits retail.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I said come in! posted:

The Kickstarter is live now, but I feel like the pledges are underwhelming. Going to wait until this hits retail.

Yeah, and I mentioned it in the Discord but I'm a little uneasy about them saying their going to do four Kickstarters a year to fund the game.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
is that right? I thought there were 4 phases to the release schedule for Kickstarter. Not that there would be 3 more, separate kickstarters, on the way this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

is that right? I thought there were 4 phases to the release schedule for Kickstarter. Not that there would be 3 more, separate kickstarters, on the way this year

From the very bottom of the Kickstarter under "delivery schedule":

quote:

This Kickstarter is funding four months of content creation and delivery for Warcaster: Neo-Mechanika. It will ship in four waves, each approximately one month apart. If at any time we are able to combine wave shipments, we will do so, and save on your shipping costs accordingly.