Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
But what does really constitute a roguelike though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kanfy posted:

rogues

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the rogues are meaningless without the likes you ninnyhammer

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Fool, if a game has rogues but only like one or two then the proper genre is obviously rogue-lite.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I started playing Assassin's Creed Syndicate and I'm having fun but just want to be sure: There's no repercussion for going FULL EVIE ALL DAY ERR DAY right?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Kanfy posted:

When it have one save slot and it’s auto save. :newlol:

Rogue-lite doesn’t save on death I guess.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Kanfy posted:

Well, according to the Berlin Interpretation...

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
A rougelike is a game with Rouge the Bat.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cardiovorax posted:

VVV I swear, VN nerds are even worse than anime nerds when it comes to making everything into a dumb argument.

I made an enemy out of an acquaintance because I kept calling Japanese comics "comic books" instead of "mangas".

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
If it contains Rouge but she is not playable, it is a Rougelite.

If it contains only Knuckles, it has “Rougelike elements”.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Artelier posted:

So I started playing Assassin's Creed Syndicate and I'm having fun but just want to be sure: There's no repercussion for going FULL EVIE ALL DAY ERR DAY right?

None at all. They share experience iirc. There are missions that will force you to use one of the twins so make sure you still invest in some gear and distribute skill points for Jacob.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Pigbuster posted:

If it contains Rouge but she is not playable, it is a Rougelite.

If it contains only Knuckles, it has “Rougelike elements”.

Is that Ken Penders canon?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

to fully outline Ken Penders canon would require multiple weeks

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Albinator posted:

(because it's on gamepass)
This is from pages back, but I had a lovely few hours with it. Super cute game, my only niggle was the bouncing physics on the flippers not being realistic. Everyone should give it a try.

Yeah I've played so much irl pinball that video gamey pinball physics drive me crazy. Zen Pinball has gotten a little better but for all the huge gently caress-ups involved with the franchise nothing has ever come close to Pinball Arcade

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

goferchan posted:

Yeah I've played so much irl pinball that video gamey pinball physics drive me crazy. Zen Pinball has gotten a little better but for all the huge gently caress-ups involved with the franchise nothing has ever come close to Pinball Arcade

It is a travesty that Funhouse is not on Zen Pinball 3 yet. Also irl pinball is harder for me because I've played too much video game pinball.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kanfy posted:

cosmetics used in the same manner as rouges that are different colors, obviously

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

If I want to pick up ARK the base game for 10$ and play it as a single player experience where I go around hunting dinos and making myself better clothes, how is it for that?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
A pretty significant thing happened today. Jason "This Game Will Never Go On Sale" Rohrer put one of his best games on sale at a crazy 75% off.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/249570/The_Castle_Doctrine/

The Castle Doctrine is a drat good game despite the reviews, and those negative reviews are mostly because the game has been lacking players for a long time. This is a really good chance to get in on a game that made me a huge fan of Jason Rohrer or come back to it. :hellyeah:

From his email:

Jason Rohrer posted:

"This game will never go on sale."

But, hey look, this game is on sale tomorrow on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/249570/The_Castle_Doctrine

Is nothing sacred?

I've lost my moral compass. I've been besmirched. I've changed. I'm not the game developer that I used to be. I'm not the man you married. I'm not the son you fathered. I'm not the baby that you once suckled to your dewy bosom.

And if that last paragraph wasn't clear enough: I've lost my marbles. I'm off my rocker. I'm not playing with a full deck. The lights are on, but nobody's home. I've flown the coop. I've tweaked the weasel. Yes, you read that correctly:

THESE PRICES ARE INSANE!

Somebody stop me before I change my mind!

But why, Jason, after all these years?

The Castle Doctrine is one of my best games, and it stands the test of time. However, it has become price-prohibitive for anyone to play in recent years.

In my early forays into online multiplayer games, I made a big mistake: I designed games that depended on a critical mass of other people to play. This is borderline suicide for an indie game with a small and sporadic audience. (I rolled that lesson into One Hour One Life, which is perfectly playable even if you're the only person playing.)

The Castle Doctrine isn't actually the worst offender in this department, because interaction with other players is asynchronous. You can design a house, and then come back in a few hours to see what other players have been up to. You can rob other players when they're not home, and the content created by whoever has been playing over the past few days is available to you now, even if they're not actually online right now.

The Castle Doctrine doesn't require a huge critical mass of players to work, but it does require a steady trickle of fresh blood. This new, more-appropriate price will make that possible going forward.

And of course, we all remember the glory days when there were 800 active houses online. How can these slim pickings ever live up to that experience?

The game has actually been improved a bit recently to be more low-player-count-friendly, with "state owned" houses fleshing out the list when things get too sparse. There's always something to do, and you can never run out of houses to explore and rob.

But last I checked, a few living players were still hoarding all the paintings. So someone is still playing, and they're in for a big surprise this week, as the teeming masses come beat down their doors.

This is The Castle Doctrine revival.

See you on my security tapes.

Jason Rohrer
March 2020
Davis, California

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

StrixNebulosa posted:

If I want to pick up ARK the base game for 10$ and play it as a single player experience where I go around hunting dinos and making myself better clothes, how is it for that?

You'll want to massively up the rates for everything if you do. The game is massively tuned for having a group of like 20-40 people playing together, where there's always someone online. Also the company making it are scummy as poo poo.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

StrixNebulosa posted:

I tried it for that a few years ago and didn't like it. I'd recommend something like Subnautica or The Forest more for a single player survival kind of experience.

Maybe it's changed, but it seemed to be lacking in much of a point without having other clans to be at war with or whatever.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Someone sell me on AI: the Somnium Files. I enjoyed 999 and Virtue's Last Reward, but I thought Zero Time Dilemma was a bit of a letdown that didn't fully resolve things. Is AI entirely self-contained?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ShootaBoy posted:

You'll want to massively up the rates for everything if you do. The game is massively tuned for having a group of like 20-40 people playing together, where there's always someone online. Also the company making it are scummy as poo poo.

Can you elaborate on how they're scummy?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I tried it for that a few years ago and didn't like it. I'd recommend something like Subnautica or The Forest more for a single player survival kind of experience.

Maybe it's changed, but it seemed to be lacking in much of a point without having other clans to be at war with or whatever.

Hmmm. I like Subnautica but not for survival aspects, and I didn't like the Forest. I'm specifically looking for dinosaur hunting + crafting, but not base building. 7 Days to Die hasn't clicked with me because it relies so heavily on building stuff.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Someone sell me on AI: the Somnium Files. I enjoyed 999 and Virtue's Last Reward, but I thought Zero Time Dilemma was a bit of a letdown that didn't fully resolve things. Is AI entirely self-contained?

AI is its own story yeah. It also resolves everything, if you complete all branches of the decision trees.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can you elaborate on how they're scummy?

They started work on a piracy/sea DLC for Ark, and then reskinned it into an entirely separate game (Atlas) presumably to make Ark season pass holders pay for it instead of getting it as part of their pass. Pissed off a lot of people because the games were pretty much carbon copies mechanics-wise and shared a lot of assets, so making it a new game was needless.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They started work on a piracy/sea DLC for Ark, and then reskinned it into an entirely separate game (Atlas) presumably to make Ark season pass holders pay for it instead of getting it as part of their pass. Pissed off a lot of people because the games were pretty much carbon copies mechanics-wise and shared a lot of assets, so making it a new game was needless.

Don't forget their first DLC for Ark was put out while still in early access.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I've got a feeling they were just first in that trend. Isn't Fortnite still technically a beta?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

:sigh:

So what I'm hearing is reinstall Monster Hunter World for actually good dinosaur hunting. Okay. Thanks.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I've got a feeling they were just first in that trend. Isn't Fortnite still technically a beta?

The Minecraft part of it is but the BR part has been officially launched for a while now, but also that's all a bunch of meaningless distinctions so whatever.

The main takeaway from ARK is that the devs are borderline incompetent and are basically only any good at adding content to their game(s) while never actually fixing any issues. ARK is fine for what it is and there's a reason that it's basically the only survival game from the bubble that has stuck around in high amounts (besides just momentum) but it's probably not a great SP offline experience among the options that are out there.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

:sigh:

So what I'm hearing is reinstall Monster Hunter World for actually good dinosaur hunting. Okay. Thanks.

I was going to say "just watch some videos of ARK pooping, that's the best part" but then I remembered MHW has that too

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I do kinda like taming dinosaurs in ARK once I crank the 'time until tamed' way down. ARK's fine for what it is, I guess. I'd consider $10 to be reasonable, but I'm not the most hardassed of bargain seekers.

Zeinin
May 7, 2003

Sup dudes, is there a halo masta cheef collection thread? I'm looking to find some folks to play with. All my vidya friends are in the wrong time zone for us to play together anymore.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zeinin posted:

Sup dudes, is there a halo masta cheef collection thread? I'm looking to find some folks to play with. All my vidya friends are in the wrong time zone for us to play together anymore.

Yes

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Zeinin posted:

Yup

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Black Mesa comes out today as final version with Xen.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

haldolium posted:

Black Mesa comes out today as final version with Xen.

Well, they did it finally., so good on them.

Guess they also managed to release just a bit before not-Half Life 3 so double win.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

ZearothK posted:

I made an enemy out of an acquaintance because I kept calling Japanese comics "comic books" instead of "mangas".

I knew someone who got really pissed if you call Japanese voice actors, voice actors and not 'seyu' or whatever the Japanese word for voice actor is. It was great fun.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ZearothK posted:

It's terrible, what too much of the Japanimations can do to a person.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Picayune posted:

I do kinda like taming dinosaurs in ARK once I crank the 'time until tamed' way down. ARK's fine for what it is, I guess. I'd consider $10 to be reasonable, but I'm not the most hardassed of bargain seekers.

I'm asking for opinions because while I sure do have a spare 10$, I also have a lot of games on my wishlist that I could pick up for 10$, or books, or... so I'm trying to make the best use of it. Also I'm trying* to not buy games willy-nilly as I work on my backlog.

*well kind of, you can't stop me from impulse purchases, but like, if I'm not gonna enjoy ARK I shouldn't pick it up

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm asking for opinions because while I sure do have a spare 10$, I also have a lot of games on my wishlist that I could pick up for 10$, or books, or... so I'm trying to make the best use of it. Also I'm trying* to not buy games willy-nilly as I work on my backlog.

*well kind of, you can't stop me from impulse purchases, but like, if I'm not gonna enjoy ARK I shouldn't pick it up
Yakuza 0 is currently $5, you could buy it twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zereth posted:

Yakuza 0 is currently $5, you could buy it twice.

I own it! Also man. It's crazy to me that such a giant game is so cheap. That thing shoulda been 60$, not 20$