Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Drakenel posted:

Couple migrants are 'herbalist necromancers'. O...kay? Awfully forthcoming of them. Now, the world I've got is a fustercluck that goblins and elves are overrunning so I'm expecting war. I know the zombies they raise are automatically hostile to the fort, so I'm considering just booting their asses out. Any other suggestions?

Build a couple little pillbox fortification rooms out in front of your Fort, and put those necromancers in there. Close them in with raising bridges, blocking their line of sight. During sieges lower the bridges, allowing them to see enemies, get in combat, and do necromancer poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

IPA Regulations posted:

Build a couple little pillbox fortification rooms out in front of your Fort, and put those necromancers in there. Close them in with raising bridges, blocking their line of sight. During sieges lower the bridges, allowing them to see enemies, get in combat, and do necromancer poo poo

Done. I forgot they don't need food or water so they can just chill there eternally getting rained on.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://twitter.com/Bay12Games/status/1233984270168838146?s=20

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Drakenel posted:

Done. I forgot they don't need food or water so they can just chill there eternally getting rained on.

If you want to be nice you can designate their space as a temple or library. That way they can pray and/or ponder as they get rained on.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

quote:

Stopped dwarves from silently dissolving marriages when one spouse makes a new friend

Sounds realistic to me

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

From the devlog:

:frog: posted:

Barring sudden issues, this will be the final bug-fix release before we get the code work started on the graphical version. There's a lot left to fix before that version is ready to be released, and we'll be doing parallel bug fix releases as the graphics stuff progresses.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Make them soldiers and give them barracks near a nice sealable corridor far away from the proper fort and fill it full of corpses to revive.

Lure invaders in and lock them in with the zombies.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I wish I could, but I already hosed it up with bridge failure.

One I assume got launched into the stratosphere or somehow got atom smashed by a raising bridge (?) the other lost his poo poo because his pet turkey got iced by a wandering kangaroo. Or something. gently caress him, he's gone now.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Bridge and lava talk has me wondering, what happens if you cover a bridge with water and then flip the bridge closed?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
A fountain, I'm pretty sure. I think you can use this to (very crudely and inaccurately) throw water and or lava at invaders.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Got a basic fort up and running, though I admittedly have run into my usual problem of being a lovely designer. If any of you want to take a look at it and point out obvious poo poo I've missed or give ideas on defenses, or just want to play in the microworld I've got where goblins and elves are taking over the world, go nuts. (Just rename the region1 to 3 or 4 or whatever you have free)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1d_FYKfN0RMiWrDvPwAENCHRQoApdawr5

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

OMG wall teleports and loyalty cascades are totally fixed after all this time??? I haven't been keeping up with news in a while, but this is huge to me if true.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of longstanding bugs. Did the bug with bins and workshops ever get fixed? I remember that in the past you had to turn off bins on pretty much every stockpile that wasn't purely for export.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dfhack alpha is out on dffd

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

quote:

Stopped dwarves from silently dissolving marriages when one spouse makes a new friend

This needs to be the thread title somehow. I don't care if it's too long.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

This needs to be the thread title somehow. I don't care if it's too long.

Make it the title of the r/Relationships thread.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

abrosheen posted:

OMG wall teleports and loyalty cascades are totally fixed after all this time??? I haven't been keeping up with news in a while, but this is huge to me if true.

well, mostly the new one where fort inhabitants declared civil wars over spy visitors (that they grew to think of as cool acquaintances) being punished

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

scamtank posted:

well, mostly the new one where fort inhabitants declared civil wars over spy visitors (that they grew to think of as cool acquaintances) being punished

The one that has ruined the most games for me is cascades resulting from visitors turning hostile during a siege, sounds close to the same thing?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Drakenel posted:

Couple migrants are 'herbalist necromancers'. O...kay?

Are they resurrecting people with herbs? Are they resurrecting plants?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DalaranJ posted:

Are they resurrecting people with herbs? Are they resurrecting plants?

Or are they getting high and claiming they raised the dead :v:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

this isn't just paprika, it's reanimated paprika

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

These spices are thousands of years old. How do I know? Don't ask.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Clearly that means they were elves in disguise. I did the right thing then, launching one into the sun and kicking the turkeyfucker out.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
What in the world are mega pantheons? Cultures accidentally having a zillion gods? That's just how the Hittites were, man.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What's a good way to make use of a waterfall?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Happiness generator, hygienic showers, drowning chambers, swimming practice, obsidian manufacture, looking cool.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

So the Steam release:

Are they making the features it has (tilesets, modding, etc) unique to the steam release, and then locking those out of the regular, non-steam releases? Or is it just "please pay us 15 bux to use this tileset we made specifically for dwarf fortress"?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
It's a bit more than a tielset I think?

Sloped walls show the direction of slope rather than just being a triangle, for example.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I can't imagine they'd fork DF into two separate versions. I'd imagine that the code changes will exist but on steam you'll get the professionally developed assets and stuff.

Other free games have done similar things on steam with a free download on the game's site and a premium version on steam.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Include Dwarf Therapist and Stonesense baked into the Steam version. :pseudo:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

PMush Perfect posted:

Include Dwarf Therapist and Stonesense baked into the Steam version. :pseudo:

Sorry, Dwarf Therapist is obviously a direct attack on the creators vision of endless cascades of sorrow and chaos

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Lawman 0 posted:

It’s going to kill your FPS. So no great way. But maybe you can be clever and have an on/off switch for it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Hide your front gate behind the waterfall so all your visitors are cleaned as they enter and leave. (And occasionally flung off the bridge into the river below)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pharnakes posted:

Happiness generator, hygienic showers, drowning chambers, swimming practice, obsidian manufacture, looking cool.
I once carved out a dining room that got naturally misted by a naturally occuring waterfall, that was nice.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Zesty posted:

It’s going to kill your FPS. So no great way. But maybe you can be clever and have an on/off switch for it.

You can turn anything off if you pour enough magma over it

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lawman 0 posted:

Don't go chasing it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

toadman status: text... will be text

:frogc00l: posted:

Hmm, interesting month so far, especially today, and I presume tomorrow and the rest of the days for a while. But work continues!
The basic support for multiple differently-sized grids is done. I haven't added much tile support yet, so what I saw was just a grass-and-stone field with the menus printed above it, but on the other hand, that was the first major hurdle.
Now I'm just slogging through a list of identifiers and draw commands so the artists can put all of their various art into the game and tweak their existing pictures and so forth. So far, so good.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Feeling like I'm about to get reacquainted with df again in the coming months

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

HOW DO I PET ANIMALS IN ADVENTURE MODE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Caress the screen gently