Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The problem is I was looking at small cheap dirt bikes that aren't street legal (125 or 250cc), then got to dual sports so I could ride to the trails rather than tow, then was thinking I should upgrade my bike to something with TC and ABS, then I just gave up and bought a new car instead. Ideally I'd have a supermoto, a track bike, a light dirt bike, and something like a street triple, but I don't think my wife will go for that.

But ABS on a dirt bike where you can leave it on for the front wheel and turn it off for the rear sounds awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

builds character posted:

That's not a dirt bike. :colbert:

Looking at you, elviscat - besmirching KTM's good name by suggesting they'd put ABS on a dirtbike. That's definitely going to come from Honda first.

And actually Honda is doing some crazy stuff with their Dakar bikes where they have on the fly adjustable suspension.

I was talking about the big dual sports, guilty as charged :D

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yep, seems about right

:shitman:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Seems like a fair price.

I'm dying to know what is wrong with that headlight. It's not a bulb. Seems like a custom painted unit. Wiring issues? Other?!

mewse
May 2, 2006

9 loving grand for a mutilated shitbike?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

mewse posted:

9 loving grand for a mutilated shitbike?

but it's custom, man

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

captainOrbital posted:

drat that is a nice-looking 636, and a good price for a 2019.

I'm hoping this spring to get one of those (or a jigster 750 or an R6) to take to Road America and scream down the straights with earplugs in.
Yeah I came really close to buying it, but ended up getting a ZX-10R instead :v:

With all the electronics and rider assistance in most bikes these days, it's kinda dumb ABS is even optional (and costs almost $1k USD more in the case of Ninjas).

Hopefully it went to a good home, I know firsthand what a pain in the rear end trying to sell a like-new bike privately can be.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jazzzzz posted:

but it's custom, man

That thing is parked in front of my office pretty frequently, and it’s actually a decently done build. For what it is. I mean it’s not worth even $2000 in my opinion. Even if it had a suspension rebuild and a decent airbox and exhaust, it might be worth $2500 to a fool wishing to be parted from his money. Sounds like rear end with those mufflers, but idles well and rows through the gears well from what I could tell once when I followed it. But there is not a CX500 on earth worth $9000.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

But there is not a CX500 on earth worth $9000.

idk Honda might still still have CX500T #00001 with 22 miles on it in a warehouse somewhere

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

idk Honda might still still have CX500T #00001 with 22 miles on it in a warehouse somewhere

:colbert: I stand by my statement

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

:colbert: I stand by my statement

Someone might be willing to buy it to kill it and rid us of all the others.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
I should hate this but I don’t:

https://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/d/bar-harbor-93-suzuki-gsxr-750-scrambler/7078589085.html

mewse
May 2, 2006

Why did nobody tell this guy that ALL CUSTOM bikes go for 15k easy

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Dirted up streetbikes own and that bike owns. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, but it's a good biek.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone in Wisconsin who is not me, go get this

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/720948051764369/

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Someone in NC go buy this 2002 Suzuki Suzuki:

https://www.bakermotorsports.com/Used-Inventory-2002-Suzuki-Suzuki-Fayetteville-North-Carolina-8385659

(Actually an ‘02 sv650s with 1,400 miles on it for just under $2k)

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

If I still lived in Chicago I know what I'd be doing this weekend.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

moxieman posted:

Someone in NC go buy this 2002 Suzuki Suzuki:

https://www.bakermotorsports.com/Used-Inventory-2002-Suzuki-Suzuki-Fayetteville-North-Carolina-8385659

(Actually an ‘02 sv650s with 1,400 miles on it for just under $2k)

1400 miles on a 20 year old bike? Plan on an immediate carb rebuild and replacing a bunch of dry-rotted rubber

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jazzzzz posted:

1400 miles on a 20 year old bike? Plan on an immediate carb rebuild and replacing a bunch of dry-rotted rubber

including tires and probably valve stems

Eaterofpoptarts
Oct 7, 2013
For any Georgia goons in the ATL area looking for a Hawk I saw this one on Facebook. Looks really clean, I can send you the non-redacted add if you're interested.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog trade the grom

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just LOL if you think I still have that moneypit shitbike.

I am interested in a hawk for $123 american dollars, though.

edit: I just noticed that it has those weird awful 80s aerobic machine foamy grips on it like mine had when I got it. Were those OEM, or is this some masochistic trend with hawk owners?!

Coydog fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 28, 2020

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
AFAIK they had normal rubber grips from the factory. The foam ones didn't bug me enough to replace them, but it is weird seeing them on two different Hawks.

Speaking of NT650s, here's a really clean one that only a collector would pay this much for:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Jazzzzz I do not understand why those grips are used then. They hurt my hand because they were simultaneously slippery and impossible to grip down on. Protaper pillowtops are pure gold, though.

Hawks in my area are listed up to $4000, which to me makes perfect sense. I probably would have to think long and hard if someone offered me that for my wonderful nt.

But actually also I think it's pants on head crazy.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 29, 2020

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i would only pay more than 2k if it came with sagebrush's dash

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What the gently caress, $3800? I just bought a 2010 nt700v for less. 20 years newer with fairings, efi, luggage, abs and linked brakes. Commonly available for $2-4k on cycle trader.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Overpaying first a Hawk is great for when you forget that SV’s exist

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Hawks are prettier than SVs though.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

Jazzzzz I do not understand why those grips are used then. They hurt my hand because they were simultaneously slippery and impossible to grip down on.

Foam grips and grip puppies are usually used by folks whose hands go numb due to vibration from the motor, or by people with arthritis because the larger diameter is easier on their hands.

The old lady liked 'em for whatever reason so I never replaced them with decent grips, even though I rode that bike more than she did. Her uncle has a set on his Softtail that are like pool noodles. They go great with the leather tassles hanging from the bar ends. :barf:

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

This is for sale near me and holy poo poo.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You people need to stop with the ugly old goldwings.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
It hasn’t run since 2015 and there’s no way it was properly stored, I’m probably about to commit some serious self harm here.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tetanus is easy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is what it looks like when doves cry

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Revvik posted:

It hasn’t run since 2015 and there’s no way it was properly stored, I’m probably about to commit some serious self harm here.

Dooooo iiiiiiiit

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

We, the people, need to buy all the old goldwings.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Revvik posted:

RIP.

Good luck with those carbs.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
My local Facebook/Craigslist are littered with old goldwings. Boomers are dying and nobody wants that poo poo. You can get a running one under a grand all day everyday. Why mess with the non running one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I’m going to keep pointing at the purple and white. Also I have a running 1978.

Well. Had. Starter just clicks now.