Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

curiousCat posted:

I gotta be honest Chic it's baffling to me that you haven't seen any Survivor lol

i went into awful survivor blind as a bat and with not even half a clue

one could argue that was still true in my second season, too, and honestly i barely remember the 3rd since i was teetering on the breakdown i had post-merge since before that one started

in reality i think i watched.... maybe one episode back in college? i only joined awful survivor because mafia friends were doing it and i wanted to have a good time with a built in excuse to get over my social anxiety and actually talk to folks (this anxiety has since gotten way better)

AWarmBody posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot Chic hasn't watched Survivor before. I was confused why they were acting like Boston Rob is bad at puzzles, but that view makes sense if this is your first season watching, given his abysmal performance on his first puzzle

i'm still not sure if he's bad or sandbagged it intentionally, but i feel like for him to have won once he must have sandbagged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

basically with this being my first season watching the actual show i'm in a weird position of knowing a fair bit about how it's played but i know nobody on the show from prior seasons and the "edit" and any reading of is a bit of a weird concept? i mean it makes sense, but.

e.martin
Jun 22, 2018

Tyson. No!!!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tyson giving his token to Nick :allears:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That Edge of Extinction scene was brutal. Even if she went so soon I feel proud Natalie was my pony. And poor Ethan. That was a powerful scene and yet another example of why if you let one of these dudes into the end game and they get to the end they winning.

Rob so casually snaking Adam by lying and saying he tried to talk game with him is the sort of thing I was alluding to that Rob does. He does all that "turn out your bags" and "I know the plan" stuff so he can say he's straight up so then when he tells a lie like that it just feels like it must be more truth. Rob works the long con which is why its never quite clear why he's doing something in particular because it might not have a purpose all on its own, it might just be part of the bigger con.

Tyson's game style feels... badgering. I wasn't terribly surprised it was him. And it was probably the right move. Tyson's the guy who managed to vote out himself. You never know what that guy is gonna do.

I love Yul but I feel like his game is gonna end because he reminds everyone how smart he is in Tribal.

Parv throwing shade... Sandra will remember that.

Also with no irony...

Pinterest Mom posted:

Sandra says her catchphrase, everyone hoots and hollers.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I'm waiting for some bitter betty to get to the fire token thing and say 'no.' What are they gonna do make them leave the game? it's not like they'll be getting any votes as a goat in the final 3 anyway.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ah I'm bummed to see Tyson go so early. :(

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
My memory of MvG is kind of hazy but there are some similarities with Adam's trajectory this time around, right? Like he was all but toast right after (before?) the merge but then basically mea culpa'ed his way back into good standing. He has not played well so far but he is really good at the "earnest weasel" thing and I could see him resurrecting his game easily enough (or he'll become the goat of goats).

I am rooting heavily for the Yul-Sophie-Wendell-Nick crew but am also fully prepared for Rob to decimate them with his rasputin charm.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 5, 2020

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm just getting charmed by Michele all over again. I was pro Cydney in Koah Rong but Michele was in second place and even if I'm not attracted to women she's like, not just island hot.

The NTOS already looks hilarious and I'm so ready for Michele and Wendell to deal.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Am I the only one annoyed with how the editors made this big thing about Adam jumping to get those keys (despite failing a million times) when it was really Rob and Michele who won that challenge? Adam's carrying on about how tenacious he was but I mean dude your inability to perform almost lost your tribe the challenge. Yeah you kept going but....who wouldn't? Anyone who just laid down and stopped trying would be a shoo in to get voted out so you literally had no choice, and your ineptitude at JUMPING nearly lost your tribe the challenge.

I guess thankfully for him, Nick and Sarah are stupid.

Also, I'm very sad that Tyson is gone. I knew he had to be gone kinda early since he's been getting so little focus, but it hurts to see him go out over people who suck and aren't entertaining like Nick. Normally love Sandra's moves but I think this one was a bad one for her...Tyson was right about the newer, less connected people wanting to get those with connections out (they said as much in confessions re: Tyson).

All that said, next week is a tribe swap so things could all be out the window.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

SweetJahasus posted:

Am I the only one annoyed with how the editors made this big thing about Adam jumping to get those keys (despite failing a million times) when it was really Rob and Michele who won that challenge? Adam's carrying on about how tenacious he was but I mean dude your inability to perform almost lost your tribe the challenge. Yeah you kept going but....who wouldn't? Anyone who just laid down and stopped trying would be a shoo in to get voted out so you literally had no choice, and your ineptitude at JUMPING nearly lost your tribe the challenge.

I mean

he did literally get all three keys, with Parvati and Denise both failing to retrieve theirs, soooo... I would argue that Adam DID do quite a lot to win them that challenge??

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I liked how it was an obvious failure of strategy since they put all the bigger/taller people on swim duty, which meant short people trying to reach the keys. Poor planning!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

SweetJahasus posted:

Well Adam wasn't the only 1 responsible for grabbing the keys, but was the only one who seemed to be able to actually get the keys even though he struggled. So really, Adam did win the challenge for the tribe by overcoming his struggles with getting the keys.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Yeah it feels stupid to me that they'd put the a) shortest lady on the season b) lady who literally just had a baby and is likely not fully physically recovered and c) the short frumpy guy to do the jumping/reaching.

Maybe I'm biased because I both dislike Adam and have been an athlete my whole life, but I feel like failing both in your approach and execution is not something to celebrate. Particularly while fully ignoring those who DID win you the challenge in Rob and Michele.

It's an ominous sign to me that Adam is going far, which I'm not here for.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

SweetJahasus posted:

Adam's carrying on about how tenacious he was but I mean dude your inability to perform almost lost your tribe the challenge. Yeah you kept going but....who wouldn't? Anyone who just laid down and stopped trying would be a shoo in to get voted out so you literally had no choice, and your ineptitude at JUMPING nearly lost your tribe the challenge.

Lol Parv and Denise gave up on their part of the jumping challenge and put it all on Adam. I think Adam is a total booger boy, but at least he didn't just sit on the boat and wait for someone else to do that whole portion of the challenge after failing a few times.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
It looked like those keys were higher than usual. Usually when they do those jump and grab a key things it's very rare for someone to miss them

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I'm giving Adam the credit on that one. I started watching just after his season so I don't really know much about him but although he comes off as a total chump, he feels very genuine to me.

He tried to make a move, it blew up, he's now dealing with the consequences. And in the challenge he grabbed all the keys, then flopped into the boat. He looked absolutely exhausted but he did it anyways.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Got a sick feeling I'm going to have to hear these Adamcomplishments again in a few weeks at final tribal.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Oh my god I'm just now getting Tyson's firewood joke at the end.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Khanstant posted:

Got a sick feeling I'm going to have to hear these Adamcomplishments again in a few weeks at final tribal.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Good episode but too much time in EOE took away from scenes of camp life and strategizing and now I'm concerned that if B. Rob goes to Extinction half the air time will be over there.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Shneak posted:

Oh my god I'm just now getting Tyson's firewood joke at the end.

I didn't perceive it as a joke as much as he was genuinely impressed by all of the firewood they had, and their reactions had him puzzled.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

"Wow you guys have so much firewood"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Binary Logic posted:

Good episode but too much time in EOE took away from scenes of camp life and strategizing and now I'm concerned that if B. Rob goes to Extinction half the air time will be over there.

Eh, in retrospect it wasn't such a bad use of time. The strategy this week was "lol, its tyson, right, everyone?" The errant vote that wasn't Tyson's or for Tyson was the only hanging thread I didn't catch strategy-wise.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Really upset to see Tyson go, he's a lot of fun to watch and he successfully identified the group in charge and made a really good pitch. Gotta say it was probably the right move though, seeing as a swap is coming up, at which point it won't really matter if you were on the top or bottom of the pecking order, as long as people are willing to work with you, which is true for Sandra, Tony, and Sarah.

sleep with the vicious posted:

It looked like those keys were higher than usual. Usually when they do those jump and grab a key things it's very rare for someone to miss them
Yep, they probably assumed the keys would be within reach as long as you were coordinated enough to jump and reach for them, and thus figured it was the best place to hide the non-puzzle non-brute strength folks. It makes sense unless the keys are literally impossible to grab because you're 5'3 like Parv and Denise.

Khanstant posted:

Eh, in retrospect it wasn't such a bad use of time. The strategy this week was "lol, its tyson, right, everyone?" The errant vote that wasn't Tyson's or for Tyson was the only hanging thread I didn't catch strategy-wise.
Nick did it because he knew Tyson's vote was on him and wanted insurance in case of an idol play.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

Nick did it because he knew Tyson's vote was on him and wanted insurance in case of an idol play.

Did anyone talk about this beforehand or was Nick's little schpiel when writing the vote the literal first time it was mentioned? Because I thought I had missed something when I saw it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think it was just Nick covering his rear end. I don't recall it coming up earlier, but it was a little chaotic.

I don't like Adam but I'll go along with the edit because (a) the ladies just left him to it, (b) the tribe picked him for it, and (c) he's drat lucky he didn't hurt himself when he caught his ankle on the diving board.

Sand Monster posted:

I didn't perceive it as a joke as much as he was genuinely impressed by all of the firewood they had, and their reactions had him puzzled.

Yeah, unless he was tipped off Tyson had no way of knowing how they got it. Its fun to assume it was just a perfect accident.

SweetJahasus posted:

Also, I'm very sad that Tyson is gone. I knew he had to be gone kinda early since he's been getting so little focus, but it hurts to see him go out over people who suck and aren't entertaining like Nick. Normally love Sandra's moves but I think this one was a bad one for her...Tyson was right about the newer, less connected people wanting to get those with connections out (they said as much in confessions re: Tyson).
I mean, yes, in a vacuum Tyson was right and Sandra should want as many scheezy big targets as possible in play. But Tyson targeted Sandra. Even if like he completely changed his mind and was never coming for her again you gotta get out the person saying your name, even if they're just saying it to throw you under the bus and not have their name come up. Plus Sandra would have been betraying a bunch of people where in this scenario she just keeps her hands clean. And gets out someone who targeted her and who she knew she couldn't trust.

So yeah, in a vacuum Tyson's argument made sense. But he was doing too much and undermined it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I do think that key jump distance was way higher / further than usual, so hopefully they've all learned a lesson about assuming

Also

Lol that they've let Rob and Sandra play this long

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

IcePhoenix posted:

Did anyone talk about this beforehand or was Nick's little schpiel when writing the vote the literal first time it was mentioned? Because I thought I had missed something when I saw it.
didn't come up prior. Nick may not have even spoken to anyone about it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Lol that they've let Rob and Sandra play this long

I genuinely hope that we are still saying this same thing come merge, and then again with exclamation marks near the end.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The tribe did bad selections for the jumping, but if Adam didn't keep trying they'd all be at tribal no matter how good Rob/Michele were at the puzzle. So yeah, I'll give him the credit for saving the tribe from really bad decision making. Even if he didn't outright win the challenge for them, he opened the door.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

I genuinely hope that we are still saying this same thing come merge, and then again with exclamation marks near the end.

Very much :same:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I really hope there is an on screen moment of someone wondering if they can pry the immunity totem's eyes out to use as fire tokens

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

IcePhoenix posted:

I really hope there is an on screen moment of someone wondering if they can pry the immunity totem's eyes out to use as fire tokens

This has been the only thing I’ve wanted this season

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Pretty sure we know who that "someone" will be (if it happens, the "tokens" will be traded for something real, rather than used officially). :D

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If Natalie ever gets near that thing she'll try.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
adam's game feels basically the same as the first time. making a bunch of bad decisions but somehow surviving. i can't help but like him, though. his personal struggles in the first game endeared me to him i suppose.

Chic Trombone posted:

i went into awful survivor blind as a bat and with not even half a clue

one could argue that was still true in my second season, too, and honestly i barely remember the 3rd since i was teetering on the breakdown i had post-merge since before that one started

in reality i think i watched.... maybe one episode back in college? i only joined awful survivor because mafia friends were doing it and i wanted to have a good time with a built in excuse to get over my social anxiety and actually talk to folks (this anxiety has since gotten way better)

haha joining awful survivor to have a good time.

i empathize with the anxiety. i had a hard time the first time i played. second time was a lot more fun. helps to have one super close ally. it's unfortunate we didn't get to work together in the one we were in.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Popero posted:

I liked how it was an obvious failure of strategy since they put all the bigger/taller people on swim duty, which meant short people trying to reach the keys. Poor planning!
That was a very funny self own. It reminded me of the delightful Kaoh Rong challenges where Scot Pollard won by being incredibly tall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There was a challenge a couple of seasons ago where they had to swing a battering ram through a wall and it was such a disastrous match of good strategy vs bad strategy because one tribe put all its big guys in the back to produce power so all the small people in the front couldn't control it and it was swinging wildly.

I kind of love the early challenges for that kind of stuff. Just seeing what plan they had, how it goes, and how they handle it. Stuff like last week when they were having to figure out how to get people up the wall. That stuff is a very fun aside of Survivor for me.